• 116 results
#101 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6299 posts) -

I'm really not a fan of westerns, they bore the shit out of me, but I loved Django. For a nearly three hour movie its pacing is pretty much flawless, and Leo DiCaprio was fucking deplorable as Monsieur Candy, easily one of the most dislikable characters in recent memory. I was really surprised by how good Jamie Foxx's performance was as well. I've never really liked him in anything other than Ray and that one Kanye West song.

#102 Posted by RockyRaccoon37 (450 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

Yeah I guess the movie was another fun exercise in style but they are starting to feel a little empty. I wish that Tarantino tried to have a little more substance in his films, but I know that's not his thing. Still, it certainly couldn't hurt a movie, especially one as long as Django Unchained was.

That's craziness! Inglorious Basterds was a remarkably potent movie about the cyclical, damning nature of vengeance and the power of film.

And Django (while not quite as interesting as Basterds) absolutely comments on the American obsession with violence and power fantasies. The movie jumps back and forth between seriously depicting awful moments of violence towards slaves, and gleefully indulging in over-the-top comedic violence against White people. We're quick to condemn sadistic violence, but will just as easily cheer when those perpetrating violence meet exceptionally violent ends themselves.

Basterds and Django are both extraordinarily subversive films-- although I agree that this one had some significant pacing issues, which may have been a result of his longtime editor Sally Menke passing away recently.

Still, this isn't the style and form obsessed Tarantino of the 90's, dude has matured significantly since then.

#103 Posted by ChristianConservativeVinny (95 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@BoG said:

@Pr1mus said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

@jdh5153: It's not.

Looks like a non funny Western version of Rush Hour.

Then you know absolutely nothing about this movie.

Then he knows absolutely nothing about Quentin Tarantino. Do yourself a favor man, see Django, Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Kill Bill... anything by Tarantino.

Django was fantastic. First, QFT:

@Pr1mus said:

And goddamn is Christoph Waltz an amazing actor. He was a revelation in Inglourious Basterds and manages to top that performance in Django.

When the credits rolled, I only wanted to know who played Dr. King. He was amazing in this movie. Until you said this, I didn't realize he was in Basterds, but the moment you said that I knew exactly what you were talking about. Give that man 100 awards. Dr. King Schultz is probably my new favorite Tarantino character. Speaking of acting, everyone did a great job in this movie. Jamie Foxx was great, Leo was fantastic, the acting was so good.

The writing was up to par with every other Tarantino film. So, that means it was fantastic.

I'm going to go back and rewatch every Tarantino film. I want to look for the subtle criticisms of American intelligence, realtive to that of people from other countries. In this movie, Dr. Schultz is far more intelligent than any other character. In the beginning, the two slave traders demand a few times that he "speak English" when they don't know the words he uses. The most intelligent American we meet, Calvin Candie, is still a dimwit compared to King. His English is poor, and he doesn't even know who Dumas is, in spite of being a self-proclaimed "francophile." Inglorious Basterds was similar. All of the European characters I can recall were more intelligent than the American Basterds."Gratzee!" I doubt I'll find anything similar in the earlier films, but I need to look.

Anyways, Django is another great addition to the Tarantino canon.

@jdh5153 said:

@ImaTreee said:

@jdh5153 said:

@TooWalrus said:

@jdh5153: It's not.

Looks like a non funny Western version of Rush Hour.

are you familiar with tarantino's work at all?

Nope. Never really heard of him...I think he made The Matrix, but never cared to watch it.

Ok, google him NOW. He did NOT make The Matrix.

Not gonna waste my time. This movie looks like trash, I'm sure if his other movies are anything like it they aren't worth the time to Google them.

You had me going for a little bit but you got greedy with the "I think he made The Matrix" comment.

More subtlety next time.

#104 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

I'm really not a fan of westerns, they bore the shit out of me, but I loved Django. For a nearly three hour movie its pacing is pretty much flawless, and Leo DiCaprio was fucking deplorable as Monsieur Candy, easily one of the most dislikable characters in recent memory. I was really surprised by how good Jamie Foxx's performance was as well. I've never really liked him in anything other than Ray and that one Kanye West song.

You should watch Collateral.

#105 Posted by Empirepaintball (1393 posts) -

By far my favorite movie of 2012. I want that opening song.

#106 Edited by vech24 (20 posts) -

This movie was fantastic. I'm wanting to see it again later in the week.

Also : I think the song your looking for is a mashup of James Brown's The Payback and 2Pacs Untouchable. On the soundtrack it's track 17. Unchained. Have a listen (starts at 54:30).

#107 Posted by NTM (7379 posts) -

This is not me saying whoever said this is reflecting my opinion on it now, I just wanted to simply state it, I heard that there are some African Americans that were offended, not only by the film, but by the fact that white audiences laughed at certain moments they didn't think were funny. I have the feeling that some of those people are overly sensitive, and I don't imagine many white Americans laughing at truly racist moments, but if it were racist in a way that most of us don't recognize in this day and age, like a name that we don't know, but understand it is used as racial, we may think it sounds funny, or maybe someone says something offensive in a funny, way, I don't know; I'm just wondering what's up with this story.

#108 Posted by vech24 (20 posts) -

Anything specific? Thats way too general of a statement otherwise

#109 Posted by hol5ter (14 posts) -

I've heard nothing but good reviews about it, and heard it was the bloodiest Tarantino movie yet. I'll have to check it out on my next day off.

#110 Edited by DaPinkTerrorist (54 posts) -

i love tarantino. this movie did not do it for me. i felt like it was just dragging on during the scene that tarantino has a cameo in and the linear story just felt so obvious to me. tarantino is still my favorite director and i wish him success, but django was not in line with the rest of his work.

#111 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

To those claiming that the movie dragged on in certain spots, are you not familiar with Tarantino? The beauty of this man is that he somehow makes you feel like the two hours of the movie are actually 20 hours of a TV series season, because he implements those slow realistic real-time scenes which usually include some delightful conversations.

I loved the fact that my mind was fucked during the dinner scene. I just lost track of time, didn't know whether it was about to end or not, it was like watching a TV show where time is not a factor. I just kept watching and was satisfied by the fact that there's just MORE AND MORE to enjoy. Now for a movie to give that impression of comfortable longevity is master work.

#112 Posted by ArcLyte (884 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Looks boring as fuck.

Terrible troll attempt, 0/10.

#113 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

@ArcLyte said:

@jdh5153 said:

Looks boring as fuck.

Terrible troll attempt, 0/10.

The real icing on the cake are the "Tarantino directed Matrix" quote and "Tarantino brothers" quote.

I'd give him a solid 8.8/10 for being so blatantly obvious.

#114 Posted by John1912 (1886 posts) -

Yea...Fuck....Im feeling kinda bewildered here. I really dont care for the movie. Its just very middle of the road meh....Irks me that people are praising the film so much, yet I just cant see it. Was excited to see it too :-/

#115 Posted by rentfn (1280 posts) -

I really enjoyed it. I don't think it's his best but close. I really enjoyed Waltz character. I've never really liked Jamie Foxx in movies but I didn't mind him in this. My only problem was the length. It seemed rushed at first but dragged towards the end. Overall great movie though. If you like Tarantino it's a must see.

#116 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5261 posts) -

@OfficeGamer said:

To those claiming that the movie dragged on in certain spots, are you not familiar with Tarantino?

Just because it's something that Tarantino does it doesn't mean it's good. Some people could see that as a weakness of his. I'm only speaking to other films since I haven't seen this.