#1 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

I'm just interested to see if anyone has any weapons for protection. If so what types of weapons do you own, and if you want explain how the weapon works.

#2 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

My left fist, my right fist and my razor tongue. All I need baby

#3 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

Carbine. Getting handguns too.

How it works: You pull the trigger when the barrel is pointed at someone you want to kill.

#4 Posted by natetodamax (19229 posts) -

I come from a family of hunters so we have lots of weapons.

#5 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I own a gun or two, But I dont like shooting. It just becomes too much of a testosterone filled sausage fest. Everyone trying to be better, have a bigger gun.

#6 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@Voxel said:

So you guys got a katana?

#7 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

weapons are designed as a more efficient way to kill other living things so, of course, i own many.

#8 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@falserelic said:

@Voxel said:

So you guys got a katana?

I do.. :D

#9 Posted by _Zombie_ (1464 posts) -

I've got a big stick.

#10 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

The only gun I have is a 38 revolver. Its always in my bedroom drawer next to me. Just in case an asshole decides to break in my apartment.

#11 Edited by jakob187 (21787 posts) -

I have a Louisville Slugger, aluminum alloy 29" 19oz with a 2 3/4" barrel. Swings like a beauty...and it has broken three arms so far.

#12 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@falserelic said:

The only gun I have is a 38 revolver. Its always in my bedroom drawer next to me. Just in case an asshole decides to break in my apartment.

How often do you fire it?

#13 Edited by SuperfluousMoniker (2914 posts) -

I have a machete I keep as an emergency weapon in case of collapse of civilization or zombie outbreaks. I don't expect to ever need it. Baseball bat too, which I would probably prefer to use in an actual combat situation.

#14 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Firearms aren't allowed in Brazil, so i don't have one. But i know how to stab, so that's great, right? ...Right?

#15 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

My mind is a weapon. Pew Pew

#16 Posted by pyromagnestir (4344 posts) -

No.

I am unprepared for the shit going down.

#17 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@falserelic said:

I never fired it I hope I don't have to.

#18 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1699 posts) -

I have a canesword topped with a ruby-encrusted cobra head, for use in fighting other dapper gentlemen.

#19 Posted by Sin4profit (3027 posts) -

i bought a Taurus PT92 a few months ago.

#20 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I'm from Australia, where our gun laws are actually sane and thus preclude people from owning guns for no reason.

I do have a few replica swords of varying types and sharpness, as well as a legitimately deadly dagger (+1 against intruders, +3 against orcs) and a small baseball bat that is a perfect billy club substitute.

#21 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@falserelic said:

@Dagbiker said:

@falserelic said:

Thats what I thought. If you are planing to use it for protection, and have never practiced firing it, then you will probably be able to hit shit. Not to mention you dont know how it feels. You dont know the kick back. And all this while you are scared shitless.

#22 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I've been looking at getting an air rifle, but they actually seem difficult to find used. If anybody has any tips, let me know >_>

Other than that I don't see much point in owning a weapon. I've got a fishing rod, fish don't like that. And a military jeep with a very rusty non-functional rifle in it.

#23 Posted by mrfizzy (1558 posts) -

@beard_of_zeus said:

I have a canesword topped with a ruby-encrusted cobra head, for use in fighting other dapper gentlemen.

Tophats on or off when you fight?

As for me I live in Australia where we have very strict laws regarding weapons so no, I don't have any and I am very happy to keep it that way.

#24 Posted by RPGee (763 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@falserelic said:

@Dagbiker said:

@falserelic said:

Thats what I thought. If you are planing to use it for protection, and have never practiced firing it, then you will probably be able to hit shit. Not to mention you dont know how it feels. You dont know the kick back. And all this while you are scared shitless.

Seems you're suggesting he should practice with it beforehand at the very least, yes? That would make sense, considering guns aren't for fucking around with.

No, I don't have a weapon, but I do know where my various knives and box-cutters are, should I need them. But, I'd probably take the aluminum baseball bat over the 6-inch knife, in that argument, so I'm set for that too.

#25 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

I own a hunting rifle, but that hasn't been out for years. Been considering buying a bat though. Anyone have any thoughts on aluminum vs. wood?

#26 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@falserelic said:

@Dagbiker said:

@falserelic said:

I probably should go to a shooting range Just to get a feel for it.

#27 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@RPGee said:

@Dagbiker said:

@falserelic said:

@Dagbiker said:

@falserelic said:

Seems you're suggesting he should practice with it beforehand at the very least, yes? That would make sense, considering guns aren't for fucking around with.

No, I don't have a weapon, but I do know where my various knives and box-cutters are, should I need them. But, I'd probably take the aluminum baseball bat over the 6-inch knife, in that argument, so I'm set for that too.

Yes, sorry, I didn't make that very clear.

#28 Posted by dark_quota (16 posts) -

I have a ruger .22 pistol, but it is not for protection, just for shooting at the range.

#29 Posted by Cows_R_Crunk (35 posts) -

@falserelic: PLEASE practice with your gun if you intend to use it for self defense. Trust me, it is not nearly as easy as you think to shoot a handgun accurately. Going to an indoor range once a month is easy and quick. You have to become familiar with your trigger, controls, and train yourself to not anticipate recoil. Shooting your gun for the first time in a super high stress situation sounds like a horrible idea.

#30 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I have a few knives and a tomahawk. My family is very much into guns, but I don't much care for them. I could see getting an M9 some time, but I doubt I'll ever have an armory.

I would like a display Katana, though, although I'd feel like a complete white trash poser by having it. Maybe if I marry a Japanese woman...

#31 Posted by Grimhild (722 posts) -

@Sin4profit:

How do you like it so far? I noticed them flooding all the shows and shops a couple years ago, but I don't actually know anyone that owns one and nobody at the range I go to uses one either, from what I've seen.

#32 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@Cows_R_Crunk said:

@falserelic: PLEASE practice with your gun if you intend to use it for self defense. Trust me, it is not nearly as easy as you think to shoot a handgun accurately. Going to an indoor range once a month is easy and quick. You have to become familiar with your trigger, controls, and train yourself to not anticipate recoil. Shooting your gun for the first time in a super high stress situation sounds like a horrible idea.

Thanks for the advice.

#33 Posted by SgtSphynx (1623 posts) -

I have a decent sized knife collection and my NCO sword which I had sharpened when I got out, as well as a couple rifles and 12 ga. shotgun, no handguns though.

#34 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1180 posts) -

Used to belong to a gun club when I was a teen in the UK but they pretty much banned handguns so not any more. Never understood the US obsession with guns (not criticizing just saying before anyone gets pissed). Gave up using guns in Scotland after a pretty bad shooting of little kids changed the laws and although I miss it as a form of recreation it makes sense to have very tight gun control laws.

#35 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

Anyone who ever fired a shotgun. Can you tell me how it felt like?

#36 Posted by Yummylee (22660 posts) -

No physical weapons, but I have mastered the art of insanity. Anyone attempts to rob my flat can expect to be chased by a small naked chap covered in feces.

#37 Posted by SgtSphynx (1623 posts) -
@falserelic: A lot of kick and hard to control with just a pistol grip, not impossible to control though. Also the amount of kick you feel can be lessened quite a bit with a good recoil pad. Also, don't let video games fool you, they have good range.
#38 Posted by Sin4profit (3027 posts) -

@Grimhild: haven't gotten a chance to fire it so i really couldn't say but it controls well/easy to disassemble. Only flaw i've run into so far is that the magazine catches on the mag release button when you load it at a certain angle.

It's basically a Beretta M9, the story goes, Taurus bought a Beretta factory in Brazil and had permission to use the Beretta blueprints and supplies to produce the gun.

There is also the PT99 which is the same gun i have but with adjustable sights but they didn't have it in stainless steel slide/blue frame which i got cause i thought it looked baddass.

#39 Posted by Cows_R_Crunk (35 posts) -

@falserelic: A 12 gauge shotgun kicks more than most rifles, but a lot of it depends on the loads you use. Birdshot is relatively weak, buckshot and slugs can give pretty intense recoil (if you're new to guns). With proper training and practice, almost anyone can handle a shotgun. It's not going to knock you on your ass. Just hold it properly, the gun will give you a quick stout shove against your shoulder, and worst case scenario you'll have some light bruises after a day of shooting.

#40 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@SgtSphynx said:

@falserelic: A lot of kick and hard to control with just a pistol grip, not impossible to control though. Also the amount of kick you feel can be lessened quite a bit with a good recoil pad. Also, don't let video games fool you, they have good range.

Thanks for letting me know.

#41 Posted by Karkarov (3370 posts) -

Well I have an ink pen here... and a screwdriver. If I want to move a little there is some things.

#42 Posted by TruthTellah (9532 posts) -

I have two airsoft pistols from Japan that look and feel almost identical to a real .45 pistol. I have no intention to shoot anyone, only to possibly portray a bigger threat if necessary.

I do also own knives and a replica katana that is sharp enough to certainly cause a decent wound if it hit.

#43 Posted by thebeastwithtwobacks (143 posts) -

no weapons. my cat's pretty mean though

#44 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

I have a sword and a bb gun, that's about it. Unless my sexiness counts.

#45 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

I wonder how some guys handle a LMG. It seem like a weapon that can be hard to use.

#46 Posted by Milkman (17482 posts) -

Are you cop? You have to tell me if you are.

#47 Posted by Cows_R_Crunk (35 posts) -

@falserelic: Ha, I don't think that's something us civilians will ever have to worry about. I've never fired a full auto anything, though I've seen them being used a couple times.

#48 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Are you cop? You have to tell me if you are.

After watching the T.V show cops not at all. I don't want to put my life on the line. I can't deal with getting shot at. That's the type of job where you have to be mentally tough. Because any day can become like an action movie.

#49 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

I have a shotgun and a few rifles including a SKS, but they are packed away in the closet.

I use to hunt a lot and shoot a lot with my dad when I was a kid, but it's been many years since I've even fired a gun. I live out in the country in a place with extremely low crime rate. Having a gun always at hand is not really necessary to me.

I practice Aikido which also includes weapon training with the jo and bokken. My skills are basic, but my bokken is made of hard wood and weighted like a real katana. If you actually know how to cut with a sword you could seriously kill someone with it.

Those saying they have a katana for home defense should also learn how to cut. It should be practiced just like one would practice shooting a gun. You don't cut with a katana the same way you swing a baseball bat.

#50 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

@Cows_R_Crunk said:

@falserelic: Ha, I don't think that's something us civilians will ever have to worry about. I've never fired a full auto anything, though I've seen them being used a couple times.

I've always wanted to see someone use one. It would be cool to watch