Do companies like Coke and McDonald's really have to advertise?

• 96 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

I was just thinking that everybody knows what Coke and McDonald's are.  Do they really need to waste hundred's of millions of dollars for advertisements?  At this point I am pretty sure only people who have no idea what Coca Cola or McDonald's are living in third world countries or are undiscovered rain forest tribesman.  I understand putting a few billboards or a commercial for a new sandwich or drink.  It just seems like they are so famous and popular that running multimillion dollar ad campaigns just seems wasteful I would understand if they were Pepsi and Burger King.

If any one has an answer or a theory I would love to hear it.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By recroulette

Suggesting.  

Say you are thirsty. You may not be thinking specifically about coke. but if you see a coke sign, now it's in your head. 
Same thing for McDonalds. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Yo, sure everyone knows about them now. What happens in a few decades of no ads? None of the young-uns will know what the eff it is. The brands will fall into obscurity and will be considered old and uncool. Advertising keeps the brands fresh!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

If they stopped advertising, it wouldn't matter for 6 months to a year. After that, they would cease to be ubiquitous and would see a decline in sales. I have thought quite a bit about this question, and this is the conclusion that I always reach.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Red12b

Kids, gotta get em when they're young... 

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By august

Yes.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By DaemonBlack

My guess is the amount of revenue they generate from the advertisements is greater than the cost to advertise. Just guessing though.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jayjonesjunior

People are born everyday.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Slaker117

If they stopped, Pepsi and Burger King would continue to push hard. Soon enough you'd have a new market leader.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's an image thing. They aren't telling you what Coke is, they're telling you that Coke makes you popular and attractive. I should note that I am actually drinking a Coke right now.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" It's an image thing. They aren't telling you what Coke is, they're telling you that Coke makes you popular and attractive. I should note that I am actually drinking a Coke right now. "
u cheeky bastard.  calling all of us unattractive and unpopular :(  im going to starbucks so that i can carry around a white chocolate mocha in public so people will think that im cool!  take that!
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Xeiphyer

It just keeps them in your mind, so when you think about food, you might go to McDonalds. 

In practice I find that almost never works on me at all, and if the ad is stupid or does something to piss me off, I will never buy their product for as long as I remember the commercial exists.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman
" It's an image thing. They aren't telling you what Coke is, they're telling you that Coke makes you popular and attractive. I should note that I am actually drinking a Coke right now. "
And how goes it? More popular? More attractive?
Avatar image for zombie_shakespeare
Zombie_Shakespeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The other day, I was watching TV, which I don't do very often, and a commercial for McDonald's came on. Specifically, a commercial for the Big Mac. I hadn't had a Big Mac in a couple of months. 

So I went down to the closest McDonald's and got a Big Mac. 

There's your answer.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJWeatherman:  I thought it was working, but then it made me belch pretty unattractively.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It helps.  If I see a commercial of something I like, such as doritos or coke before I stopped drinking soda, it would always make me go "Man, I need to get me some doritos/coke/whatever" and I would sometimes end up going through with that and picking some up the next day.  Usually doesn't do anything for me though unless I'm hungry and it's not an annoying commerical.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Samaritan

Coke probably to a lesser extent, but like, McDonalds is always releasing new products and is always doing weird promotional stuff, that needs to get to you somehow. How will you know when Monopoly at McDonalds is without advertisements? :P

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It's so that we don't forget about them.

The more we see and hear about coke/McDonald's, the more we want it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

it makes sales. it's for the thirsty and hungry people at the moment that they see a coke or mcdonalds they most likely will go get it or get it sometime in the next few days. babies are born everyday.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By matpaget
Want to go out sometime?
DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DrHawking
@FancySoapsMan said:
" It's so that we don't forget about them.  The more we see and hear about coke/McDonald's, the more we want it. "
Pretty much this. Ads are not made to promote a product but to keep people aware that the product is still around.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dalai

Both Coke and McDonald's have major competitors that can take advantage of such a radical drop in advertising. If Coke stopped advertising, the Pepsi people will be all up in that shit, as the kids say... I think.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By butano

Umm...I went to a McDonalds for the first time in almost a year the other day. Because I listened to a commercial on my car radio on the way home from school. 
5 words.

5 dollars for 20 McNuggets.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By BraveToaster
@iam3green said:
" it makes sales. it's for the thirsty and hungry people at the moment that they see a coke or mcdonalds they most likely will go get it or get it sometime in the next few days. babies are born everyday. "
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Red

Ads are also good to educate about a new item on a menu, a new deal, or a nearby location where you can get this item.  
A very small portion of ads are actually meant to introduce you to what they're selling, but to get them in your head. A radio ad for a pizza place will play at 5:30 because it catches guys coming home thinking "man, that would be good for dinner", and they go get a pizza.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vodun

For companies like these it's all about brand recognition. They need to maintain their place in your subconscious. It's the same reason someone like Ahmadinejad or Saddam has their face plastered all over their country; "I'm everywhere and remember who's in charge!"

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pinworm45
@bartok said:
" I was just thinking that everybody knows what Coke and McDonald's are.  Do they really need to waste hundred's of millions of dollars for advertisements? "
Did you not consider for a moment that maybe there is a correlation here?
Philski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Philski

As luck would have it, I actually teach a class on the psychology of advertising and this sort of question has come up before.  There are a lot of things to factor in when you're thinking about a company with near-ubiquitous market penetration, and they certainly have reasons to advertise beyond letting people know about their products.  A huge company with a huge market share wants to improve or at least maintain that market share, and that becomes increasingly difficult to do as other products come out and are gunning directly for you.  I don't want to just post an entire lecture here, but a few things to consider are advertising from different angles to appeal to different demographics and effectively "cast a wide net", keeping an eye on life cycles of individual products and refreshing them / tailoring ads as necessary to keep them significant, taking advantage of the mere exposure effect, maintaining brand awareness in general, and keeping visibility and accessibility to that brand high.  There is way, way more to this of course, but it's a lot to explain in a forum post.  Just think of it in terms of what might happen if they all suddenly stopped advertising.  Sure, coke is ubiquitous and well know it now, but you're going to see a marked decrease in awareness over time, along with an increase of awareness for competitors.  As that awareness dwindles, you're going to get less and less people that instinctively associate McDonald's with a quick cheap meal, for instance.  Over time, market share would just get smaller and smaller, and who knows where the company would wind up.  Speaking of McDonald's, I could sure go for some delicious McDoubles right about now..yum..McDoubles...

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jaktajj

If Coke stopped it's advertising campaign then Pepsi would colour Santa Claus BLUE!

.........and then we'd all be fucked!

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vilhelmnielsen
  • Kid sees ad for Coke
  • Kid gets thirsty
  • Kid wants Coke
  • Kid asks parent for Coke
  • Parent buys Coke for kid
  • ?????
  • PROFIT!
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31  Edited By natetodamax

Drinking Coke and eating McDonald's leads to intimacy.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By penguindust
@Slaker117 said:
" If they stopped, Pepsi and Burger King would continue to push hard. Soon enough you'd have a new market leader. "
Spot on!  People are fickle and easily manipulated especially at a young age.  That's why advertising works.  The older you get, the less likely you are to switch brands because what's familiar is comforting; however when you're young and willing to experiment that's when that advertising is most effective.  There is a reason marketers are looking to capture the 18 to 34 demographic.  If McDonalds stopped advertising, high school and college kids would gravitate toward whatever's popular and that could be Burger King or Sonic or whatever.  Then when they're middle age, they'll continue to choose Burger King over McDonalds because it's familiar.  Finally, they'll take their kids to BK and a new generation will pick it over Micky-Ds. 
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Belonpopo
@bartok:  I think I made a thread about this a few years ago, but the reason they advertise is because nature points to you buying a Coke more often if you here the name more often. Picked that up from a friend taking psychology course.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MatPaget said:
" @SuperfluousMoniker said:
Want to go out sometime? "
It's working.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HandsomeDead

OP literally has no idea what advertising is.

Avatar image for beautifulspacecowboy
BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, it is all about keeping their products on your mind. This post is a good example; for good or bad, they are in your head and have got you talking about them to other people, even if it is questioning their advertising. Also, Coke, and to a lesser extent McDonalds, have to make sure their product stays in your mind as the true Coke, and not have all cola become a "coke."

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#37  Edited By EpicSteve

Mindshare. What if Coke stopped advertising, yet Pepsi was all over the place? They still have to maintain their dominance on their industries. 

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By s10129107

of course!

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JammyJesus

Yo, I could totally go for a Coke and a Burger. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By toowalrus
@Khann
@MatPaget said:
" @SuperfluousMoniker said:
Want to go out sometime? "
It's working.
Yeah it is. I'll just say it, if you ever want a bl... Nevermind, I can't make this joke
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HandsomeDead
@HandsomeDead said:
" OP literally has no idea what advertising is. "
Nobody in this thread knows what advertising is. Apart from you, of course.
Avatar image for endlessobsidian
EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EndlessObsidian

Donald Draper does not approve of this thread.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I am too lazy to start writing the full answer to this so I will sum it with yes.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Example1013
@HandsomeDead said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" OP literally has no idea what advertising is. "
Nobody in this thread knows what advertising is. Apart from you, of course. "
So if I quote you here, do you get 2 notifications? Or do you have those turned off?
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Azteck
@JJWeatherman said:

" Yo, sure everyone knows about them now. What happens in a few decades of no ads? None of the young-uns will know what the eff it is. The brands will fall into obscurity and will be considered old and uncool. Advertising keeps the brands fresh! "

After the time it would take for people to forget Coke, they'll probably be ruling the world.
Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Faint

By them advertising, they are stopping others from using those advertising spots, thus preventing a loss of consumers who might convert to what else they could be seeing and start eating/drinking that instead

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By melcene
@bartok said:

" I was just thinking that everybody knows what Coke and McDonald's are.  Do they really need to waste hundred's of millions of dollars for advertisements?  At this point I am pretty sure only people who have no idea what Coca Cola or McDonald's are living in third world countries or are undiscovered rain forest tribesman.  I understand putting a few billboards or a commercial for a new sandwich or drink.  It just seems like they are so famous and popular that running multimillion dollar ad campaigns just seems wasteful I would understand if they were Pepsi and Burger King.  If any one has an answer or a theory I would love to hear it. "

Who is this WE that is wasting hundreds of millions of dollars?  Are you a shareholder in Coke or McDonald's?   

Really though, it's not like this is taxpayer money we're talking about.  It's a company.  It's their company.  Let them run it as they see fit. 
jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jozzy

While you all have pretty solid arguments, I do wonder how effective the more old-school advertisements (TV, Radio, Posters) are these days. Companies spend a lot of money on them and it's really hard to gauge the returns of that. I have never ever seen a regular ad for Facebook but it's freaking huge these days, because it goes out of it's way to let the community drag more victims (eh..customers) in.

I just wonder how much effect it would have if mc donalds cut back their adviertisement budget in half.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kjellm87

McDonalds needs it.
Coke not so much I think, it's something many people buy and it is almost every shop.