Do English People like the American Accent?

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Bionicicide

The American midwest accent is the Tabula Rasa accent of the world

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By SSValis
@Andrela: People in California do not say " oh my god" and " like" thats just a stereotype. I don't see why you would say it would make your ears bleed unless you are talking about the pitch of the persons voice.  
andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By andrela
@SSValis said:
" @Andrela: People in California do not say " oh my god" and " like" thats just a stereotype. I don't see why you would say it would make your ears bleed unless you are talking about the pitch of the persons voice.   "
Well it the ones who do speak like that that stand out, obviously the ones who dont have strong accents wouldnt stand out to me
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Bollocks.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Hitchenson

Yeah, it's alright. The only English native language accent that grinds my gears is a "scouse" accent. No offence, if just gives me a headache is all.

GreyFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By GreyFox

The Britons I know hate it.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#158  Edited By Jazz

Personally, I could do without it in nearly every single VO ever...but then again I hate listening to estury English just as much. 
urgh

Jemenez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Jemenez
@Commando said:

" Texans aren't southern. Ask anyone from any real southern state. They think they're southern just because they're located in the south. Just because your state is located in the South doesn't mean you're a southern state. (you know what I mean, don't act stupid). Example: Florida(a place filled with old people and illegal Cubans), Texas(a place filled with illegal Mexicans).

All of the real southern states HATE Texans who pretend to be southern. They're Texans: they wear cowboy hats and sound completely different than any other part of the country. Their accent is completely different than the Deep South accent that we have.

States I consider "The South": Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, parts of Louisiana, parts of Georgia, very little of South Carolina.
I have an Alabama deep south accent, but as you can see, I am not uneducated. When I speak, I speak with proper grammar, but my accent is deeply southern. When I type, most people can't tell. I always want to throw the word "yall" in, but I usually catch it and change it when I type. When I speak, I can't do this. When I went to California last summer, people always stared at me when I talked.

Now that that's out of the way, you'll find mixed opinions on how Americans feel about the English accent. I personally think English women sound hot. I've never met an English guy. I've met a Scottish guy, but he told me English people would 'verbally assault' me if I thought the Scottish accent was the same as the English accent.

Supposedly, English people view the Scottish accent like yankees view the Southern accent here. It's viewed as "trashy". Is this correct?

"
Florida has no southern accent. I know, I live there, its closer to a New York accent, or no accent at all

Also, im surprised to think that we actually have accents, Americans voice's seem to be just plain and boring
fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#160  Edited By fisher81

are we human or are we dancer?

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Hourai

I'm jealous of the British accent. 

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By SSValis

I think the general consensus is that British people don't like anything American. With that being said every time I visit people treat me very kindly. I have met a bunch of people just because they knew I was American and wanted to ask about my visit. 
 Also I think girls are obsessed with accents, girls in Europe in my experience are no different. ohhh how do you say banana?!!!! ba-nan-a......... ohhhh thats so wierd hahaha!!!!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#163  Edited By SSully
@EnchantedEcho said:
" @Ineedaname said:
At least what we call football, we kick. "
With your feet = football.I'm Australian but both of my parents immigrated from England, the Southern American accent is horrible in some cases.I think that Americans abuse the vowels too much, you either just ignore them or you exaggerate them.But, with Brad, Jeff, Ryan and Vinny, I don't notice there accent to be irritating at all.The U.S is so big though, so you have to expect some diversity.Even England has sub-accents, not all English people sound classy for sure.  "
Thats very true, theres tons of variations of US accents. I am from Illinois, which is in central USA, and i visit places in Wisconsin, which is the state above Illinois about 3 hours away, quite a bit and every time i am up there someone calls outs my accent and i notice myself how different everyone sounds. It amazes me how people that live 3 hours away from each other have unique accents.  
thatguy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#164  Edited By thatguy42

I feel like some English accents can give an increased feeling of aut    hority.  I wish I had that.    

I sometimes get irritated with the Cockney accent though.  

Here's an example of American accents being exaggerated:  

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#165  Edited By FireBurger
@Maxszy said:

" I LOVE English accents. LOVE them. Totally classy, they're great.I have a basic American accent. (From the NW so we don't have any specific accent really, just standard.) "

Haha, trust me, you have a specific accent. It may not be really thick like Boston or Long Island, but there is no standard American accent.

EDIT: Wow, didn't realize this thread started a year ago. Bet you weren't expecting that reply. :) Anyway, check out this test to see if it gets you right. It got me straight down to my nearest city.
GrandpaJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By GrandpaJelly
@FireBurger said:
" @Maxszy said:

" I LOVE English accents. LOVE them. Totally classy, they're great.I have a basic American accent. (From the NW so we don't have any specific accent really, just standard.) "

Haha, trust me, you have a specific accent. It may not be really thick like Boston or Long Island, but there is no standard American accent.

EDIT: Wow, didn't realize this thread started a year ago. Bet you weren't expecting that reply. :) Anyway, check out this test to see if it gets you right. It got me straight down to my nearest city. "
I took the quiz and got inland north. I was raised in Texas and Spanish was my first language,heh. 
I'm kind of proud I don't have the Texan accent....yet.
MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By MiniPato

Coming from an American and a Chicagoan, I am not a fan of the Chicago accent. Or "Chikyeahgo eeyahxent." All the short a's are stretched out and pronounced like the 'ea' in 'yeah.'

Kolonel_Kool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Kolonel_Kool

I'm from western Canada. Which means my accent is more Americanized than say somebody from the Maritime. I can easily slip into a New England or Australian accent, but could probably not hammer down a specific dialect.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#169  Edited By takua108

I'm the one person on Giant Bomb from South Dakota, and here we all speak in the most plain American accent you'll ever hear. Every year when my family goes out East for our family reunion, we make fun of their accents (they say "WUHter," we say "WAHter," etc).

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#170  Edited By sjschmidt93

I kind of want a British accent.

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By apoptosis61

american accent is far superior than english , my opinion

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#172  Edited By get2sammyb

As a Brit, I find the American accent can sometimes grate. But it's more annoying hearing British people say words such as "awesome", etc. It just doesn't sound right.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#173  Edited By sarge1445
@MattyFTM said:
" I am indifferent towards the accent. What does annoy me though, is the stupid spellings you use for some words!!!! It's colour & flavour, not color and flavor. And I hate that you say football when referring to a game that it not football!!!!!! And that you call football Soccer, a word that is a slang term for the word Association. "I'm going to watch a match of association". IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!! "
No well spell things right and also our football is better :P
Rourkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#174  Edited By Rourkey

I am English and i personally love the American accent, and, don't judge me, but I think it is way hot on a girl southern ones especially.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By penguindust
@Jemenez said:
" @Commando said:

" ... Just because your state is located in the South doesn't mean you're a southern state. (you know what I mean, don't act stupid). Example: Florida(a place filled with old people and illegal Cubans), Texas(a place filled with illegal Mexicans).

States I consider "The South": Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, parts of Louisiana, parts of Georgia, very little of South Carolina.

Supposedly, English people view the Scottish accent like yankees view the Southern accent here. It's viewed as "trashy". Is this correct?"
Florida has no southern accent. I know, I live there, its closer to a New York accent, or no accent at all  Also, im surprised to think that we actually have accents, Americans voice's seem to be just plain and boring "
This is mostly true.  However, as a person living in Florida myself (transplanted from New York) some "native" Floridians have a southern-style accent depending on if they were raised in the sticks or in the city.  This is probably true of any nation.  Urban dialects differ from country dialects.  Florida is largely populated by people who live in the state during the winter months only ("snow birds"), people who've moved from the Northeast and Midwest (retirees) and their offspring.  So, 8 out 10 people have a standard American accent or one associated with a Northern state (Brooklynese, Bostonian, Chicagoan, etc...)

As for the Brits, well, I really love the way they pronounce "aluminum."  When I listen to the Gamespot UK podcast, I often have to translate in my mind their pronunciation of the word "beta", though. 
Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Joshakazam
@MattyFTM said:
" I am indifferent towards the accent. What does annoy me though, is the stupid spellings you use for some words!!!! It's colour & flavour, not color and flavor. And I hate that you say football when referring to a game that it not football!!!!!! And that you call football Soccer, a word that is a slang term for the word Association. "I'm going to watch a match of association". IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!! "
This, This, This, This, This, This so much This!!!!

I hate it when people call Football Soccer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bogitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Bogitt

I'm English and i don't mind the American accent, it sounds fine so don't worry about it. Oh and i took that test and apparently the American accent i have is;

The Northeast
 Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Is this a good thing? I have not travelled to America yet!

CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#178  Edited By CharkeeFarlee

I like American accents. 
Although i will stick to Colour. Not Color. Sounds all kinds of wrong.
And also, you say Basil all wrong. 
Bay-zil
WRONG NUUUU

Khantael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#179  Edited By Khantael

The sort of TV accent can sometimes be okay but can grate at times. It can seem to sound very "cutesy" at times. 

As for the English accent... well, it depends where you are. I'm from the North West of England. I hear the accents of my town, scouse accents and mancunian accents fairly regularly - all of which are nothing like the sort of British accent you'll hear on TV...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

American accents are annoying. Females sound stupid, Males with high voices sound mega campy. Males with low voices are alright.

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By ErrorOperator

To anybody who's convinced an english accent is classy, go and listen to a lancashire accent!

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#182  Edited By swamplord666

Oh man, if you think the english accents is classy, you must be thinking of the high class english villain kind of accent. There are alot of accents in the UK that just make me want to take a cyanide pill everytime I hear it. 
On topic, It depends from where in the US. it ranges from "you sound like a nice person" (SF) to "just.. Just shut your mouth... please... just. do it." (redneck from texas)

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find some annoying, generally i don't mind. 

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#184  Edited By fattony12000

Good luck to anyone on this planet being able to understand my Scottish extended family, holy fuck. It's like it's not even a different language, sounds more like the maddened cries and guttural noises of an animal in deep distress. 

And if they've had a drink or five, well, then you have nooo chance. 

(drinking time is from sunrise to sunset).

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By iKANNIBAL
@Dethfish77:  

Thats true, we are kinda efficient, i think it was said before Americans & Canadians both speak a "Clearer" more articulate version of english than the british do, i can't understand what most british people say on Xbox live, have no problem with Canadians though, and people from Europe and other countries always understand what i say. 

I was playing a game with a German & British person it was hilarious because even the German dude went like "What was that?" when the brit dude said something, its mainly the boys though, i can understand what British girls say more, their voices are less heavy and more clear from my experience. 

And on the "Football" subject, thats the thing about America regardless of what you say, were still gonna call it soccer D: oh and southern accents own all.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By FunExplosions
@MattyFTM said:
It seems this post is a year old. Hmm. Well, good thing I quoted it. Anyway,

I'm an American and I've always just thought color and flavor looked right, getting angry when I saw people using colour and flavour. It seems that's just a product of my upbringing. I, unlike most Americans, hate calling soccer "football." It has never made sense to me, even as a little kid. When a little kid thinks a word is fucked up, then asks someone about it and gets pretty much no coherent response, then you know the word is fucked. I also just wish our damn auto companies didn't have to halt America's attempt to finally recant their sins and accept the metric system. It just fucking makes sense.

One question, though. I've always wondered this. How does our accent sound to you guys? I don't mean 'good' or 'bad,' but I mean how does it sound different? For example, Chinese accents sound really short or quick, almost as if they'd rather just say half the word instead of the whole word. Irish accents basically just seem to add a bunch of 'R's to words or trail on way too long on some words. And Cockney accents just sound fucking awesome, albeit muffled and almost indecipherable. (And I'm not asking how Southern US accents sound. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence in the US hates those accents and would like to see them banished from the earth and burnt a hundred times over). I always just imagined our accent sounding incredibly flat and plain. I hope that's not true.
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Ewww, fuck that. I hate the British accent as much as I hate the British people. 

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By WickedFather

At least you said British and not English.  Me and my mate were on with some Americans and they asked us if we were from New Zealand or Australia.  He's from Manchester (that's England) and I'm from South Wales (the original one).  We just played up to it, no harm done as we were perfectly charming.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah poor guy didn't notice the difference between the accent of a British state and a recently severed British colony. What a buffoon. 

Valco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Valco

It's all gravy unless the American accent is saying: "Woah, at second glance looks like those were friendlies down there."
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By hatking
@MattyFTM said:
"I am indifferent towards the accent. What does annoy me though, is the stupid spellings you use for some words!!!! It's colour & flavour, not color and flavor. And I hate that you say football when referring to a game that it not football!!!!!! And that you call football Soccer, a word that is a slang term for the word Association. "I'm going to watch a match of association". IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!!"

You'd be proud to know that my girlfriend is an english major here in the States and she insists on using the proper English spelling of words like colour and flavour.  It has even rubbed off on me.  I'm pretty sure the real reason we do that is because we're a couple of anglophiles.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#192  Edited By Yummylee

I've probably already posted in here...but I'll post it again for the sake of everyone remembering then instantly forgetting soon after...I <3 the New York accent.

mdsteil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By mdsteil
@MattyFTM said:
..and the keeper catches the ball with his hands, and the forwards smack the balls with their heads, etc.
TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By TomWhitbrook
@ryanwho: It's been more than half a century, and the accents are quite, quite different.  Indeed, Mancunian and Welsh accents are different enough that I'm surprised he thought they were from the same place.
nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#195  Edited By nrain

Some American accents really annoy me. I'm thinking whatever accent Sarah Silverman has, oh dear god she cuts right through me. 

Avatar image for valentin_seleznyov
Valentin_Seleznyov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think that foreign women will find American accents particularly sexy... with the exception of a Sawyer-esque southern drawl.  

I'm not sure what accent it is, but i really like the way Marisa Tomei speaks on My Cousin Vinnie.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#197  Edited By Vinchenzo

Eh I'm American and even I'm not sure if I like how most people talk. I want to punch every person with a Southern accent in the god damn face. Most of the girls sound like the stereotypical "in-crowd" types. I don't really like English accents either, though. I'm all about the Japanese accent. Yeah. :]

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By ryanwho
@TomWhitbrook said:

" @ryanwho: It's been more than half a century, and the accents are quite, quite different.  Indeed, Mancunian and Welsh accents are different enough that I'm surprised he thought they were from the same place. "

I can understand someone from the region thinking that, just like I understand people from Boston, Jersey, and New York think they sound radically different from one another. But you notice the nuance because you're looking for it. As an outsider I can barely tell the difference just like as an outsider you likely couldn't tell the difference between a Virginia accent, a Tennessee accent, and a Texan accent. I can make the distinction immediately because most of my family has a Virginia accent. Its all perspective. Basically Im not 100% sure Im hearing Australian until they drop some Aboriginal slang into their speech. And I blame this on the faux accent you here in historical epics and such, that sounds sort of mainstream British and sort of Australian but its simplified enough that an American could pull it off too. So they can cast from everywhere.
rdav1109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#199  Edited By rdav1109
@Optiow said:
" Well I think that some kinds of it can sound awesome, but I don't like the Southern American accent as they tend to draw out their words for as long as possible. "
I'm from Northeast Ohio, big city guy, and I hate it as well. So not only do English people hate it, Americans do as well. 
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By yakov456

Well the last time I was in Ireland, a girl at the pub said that my accent was lovely. Hard to believe when you don't think of yourself with an accent, plus I speak with a Philly twang in my voice, which is worse than a thick southern accent.