• 124 results
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#101  Edited By Red

I prefer a complex secret handshake over a normal firm handshake.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By Subjugation

Yes they matter. You learn things about people just by how they shake your hand. True story. And if you give me some limp hand awful shake you should be ashamed of yourself. A bad handshake just throws me off.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By mesklinite
@Buck_Sexington said:
I couldn't trust a person who gave a weak handshake
Definitely agree with this. A weak hand shake is sign of something bad to happen if you deal with that person. They have no backbone.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By JasonR86
@AOR said:
The fathers of a few ex girlfriends I've had were very dependent on outdated norms like a good firm handshake is the sign of a true man. After experiencing their fathers even try to crush my hand as a semi-kidding but kinda they really wanted to way, I even started using the well known strategy of shaking a person's hand in a certain way so they can't crush your hand no matter how hard they try. It's just the certain grip you have, it's online somewhere.   But yeah I see these sort of things going away pretty quickly with the newer generations. Another thing I haven't seen in a while is giving somebody the middle finger. I think our society has become a lot more emotionally hurtful and sneaky, which makes me sad. Before, a person would give you the finger if they didn't like you. Now they just flood your facebook account with hate messages or try to hack your email. Fucking cowards
That shit ain't outdated son!
v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By v

Stupid f'n stroke en utero made it so that I cant really open my right hand, so that makes handshakes with my right hand impossible, but I do like doing handshakes with my left hand.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#106  Edited By Hailinel

Short answer: Yup.

Longer answer:  You bet.  It is a gesture of greeting, respect, and agreement.

Also, joy buzzers!

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#107  Edited By Crono

Handshakes definitely matter still. I hate the people that grab your fingers and squeeze instead of the hand... they seem too eager with their pre-mature squeeze. The first time it happened to me I didn't think much of it, but this has happened 2 or 3 times now and I'm worried it might be a bigger problem than I originally thought.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By NoCookiesForYou
@mesklinite said:
@Buck_Sexington said:
Definitely agree with this. A weak hand shake is sign of something bad to happen if you deal with that person. They have no backbone.
Agreed. Though sometimes a weak handshake is just a sign of a shy or socially untrained individual.
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#109  Edited By fobwashed
@Verb4tim said:
@mesklinite said:
@Buck_Sexington said:
Agreed. Though sometimes a weak handshake is just a sign of a shy or socially untrained individual.
For some strange reason, a limp or very weak handshake is off putting.  

Sexist or not, when I shake a girls hand (business situations) it tends to be just a touch and shake affair and that's normal but when it's with another guy, you gotta give a firm handshake. Not a "I'm gonna squeeze harder than you" or "I'm gonna fuckin crush your hand cuz I'm strong" but just a firm handshake.  

When I'm with close friends, we don't shake hands. We already know each other and we don't need salutations or greetings or whatever but when I'm meeting someone I'm not too close with yet, there's always a handshake. It's a sign of respect imo. You're both acknowledging each other and in a manner that can not be taken as a "whatever" kind of solely verbal "hi". It's the same when I meet an older person who's also Asian (I'm Korean). I'll always bow and give a formal greeting because it's to show that you see each other (no Na'vi nonsense -_-;;). It's a cultural thing and it's extremely expected in formal and business situations in America. If you ever go to an interview here, and you don't shake hands. . . odds are you just screwed yourself out of a couple points because you think too highly of yourself to make a small concession to US customs =P
OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#110  Edited By OmegaChosen

The fact that a weak handshake inspires luchadeer-goring is pretty telling.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By YoThatLimp
@Crono said:
Handshakes definitely matter still. I hate the people that grab your fingers and squeeze instead of the hand... they seem too eager with their pre-mature squeeze. The first time it happened to me I didn't think much of it, but this has happened 2 or 3 times now and I'm worried it might be a bigger problem than I originally thought.
You have to let your inner thumb skins get intimate. Hate the premature squeeze.
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#112  Edited By JB16

Handshakes tell me a lot about a guy, they tell me how confident he is and how comfortable they are in they're present situation.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By captain_clayman

real handshakes catch me offguard.  everyone does that slidey handshake and nobody does an actual handshake anymore.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Vodun

A real man shakes by the lower arm. It is a sign that neither party is carrying concealed weapons and that negotiations can proceed! 

Fuck all y'all with your BS, you can't tell shit about a person from a handshake. I've shaken many a firm hand that was attached to an asshole, and limp weakness connected to a wonderful human.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Gargantuan said:
Handshakes are still going strong in northern Sweden.
This.

Though the worst part is when they fucking cut you off, you know? Grab your fingers? Forcing you to give them a wussy handshake. Pisses me off.

Doctors appear to do it all the time.
Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#116  Edited By Cathryn

I've been on the job hunt for nearly a year now and I'm starting to feel like people who work in Human Resources have the worst handshakes.  It's almost always something , like, just put their hand in yours for a second and do nothing, or total wet-noodle.  I've found this very surprising given that a big part of HR is recruitment and most north american kids, anyway, were always taught that a good, firm handshake was important at a job interview.

Maybe it's gone out of fashion?  I dunno, I like firm handshakes and find it very, very strange when people don't give them.  I don't need my hand squeezed off or anything, but ick, wet noodle handshakes are creepy.

Avatar image for sensuouslettuce
SensuousLettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By SensuousLettuce
@Everyones_A_Critic said:

I hate the idea of getting to know someone's personality through a handshake. It's one of the most retarded fucking things I've ever seen. Not everyone is confidence personified with a square jaw and a puffed-out chest, and believe it or not, some of us get nervous as fuck before a job interview. Knowing this, it's understandable that you might not have the strongest grip when you're in that state of mind. There's no cure for nervousness, no matter how many times you say "It's not a big deal" you're still going to think it's a big deal, and the idea that you can present the proper credentials and look like a great candidate and fail because you don't grip some asshole's hand hard enough is beyond me. It's so stupid, but it's really just the first thing that's wrong with the hiring process. There's also the bullshit resume where we lie about ourselves and our interests, plus there's the drug tests that turn responsible Cannabis users into despicable criminals without futures. It makes me sick. Nobody is the person they say they are on their resume, who are we trying to fool? And then there's those awful questions they ask about teamwork and leadership, as if you're ever going to be honest in front of them when money is involved. It's such a horseshit system in general.

Ahh. Your real agenda, you despicable criminal without a future.
finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By finstern

I'll shake someones hand if I have to but I'd rather not, I've never gained any insight into someone from shaking their hand other than "this dude likes to touch strangers from the get go"

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By ryanwho
@Vodun said:
my handshake is sweaty, I don't wipe it
gross
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Vodun
@ryanwho said:
@Vodun said:
Does anyone here have tiny genitalia?
i do, my dick is soooo tiny it goes inside me when i stand up. i try to compensejt by spending all my time in a gaming forum and being a douche
Man, sucks to be you.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SensuousLettuce said:
@Everyones_A_Critic said:

I hate the idea of getting to know someone's personality through a handshake. It's one of the most retarded fucking things I've ever seen. Not everyone is confidence personified with a square jaw and a puffed-out chest, and believe it or not, some of us get nervous as fuck before a job interview. Knowing this, it's understandable that you might not have the strongest grip when you're in that state of mind. There's no cure for nervousness, no matter how many times you say "It's not a big deal" you're still going to think it's a big deal, and the idea that you can present the proper credentials and look like a great candidate and fail because you don't grip some asshole's hand hard enough is beyond me. It's so stupid, but it's really just the first thing that's wrong with the hiring process. There's also the bullshit resume where we lie about ourselves and our interests, plus there's the drug tests that turn responsible Cannabis users into despicable criminals without futures. It makes me sick. Nobody is the person they say they are on their resume, who are we trying to fool? And then there's those awful questions they ask about teamwork and leadership, as if you're ever going to be honest in front of them when money is involved. It's such a horseshit system in general.

Ahh. Your real agenda, you despicable criminal without a future.
Yeah! Maybe you wouldn't be such a beta with a pansy-ass handshake if you stopped with the reefer, ya beatnik! :P
TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By TwilitEnd656

I bow more often than shake. If I do end up shaking, though, I generally try to put some semblance of effort in. I say try, because I never how much strength is too little or too much.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#123  Edited By FesteringNeon

I've heard the stock of nipple tweaking is up +24.7% since this thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@SensuousLettuce said:
Now I'm not advocating the 'I'm an alpha male' handshake crush of doom, but put a little muscle behind it. 

Agreed. I get pretty pissed off when someone is obviously trying to be the 'stronger man' in the handshake, but it must be firm. 

A firm squeeze and a few shakes will suffice.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@drbendo said:
Anyone who thinks that handshakes are significant or indicate personality traits is a fucking moron. It's the sort of thing that imbeciles pay attention to and lend weight because they can't bother paying attention to things that actually matter. One may as well make business decisions according to hair color or cola affinity.
I couldn't agree more with this. "Well this guy with a Harvard degree and tons of qualifications gave me a limp wrist but this guy with a GED and felony rep looked me square in the eye and cut off my circulation. Guess I'm going with number 2!"