• 59 results
Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Do horror games easily frighten you? (207 votes)

Yes it does, witnessing the horror can be alittle to much for me... 18%
I've got balls of steel it takes more to get me scared son... 16%
It can be abit of a mix bag for me, depends on the game I'm playing.. 48%
Fuck horror games I avoid them at all time... 17%

Just wondering how many GB users are easily afraid of horror games. For me survival-horror is my favorite game genre so not at all . Recently I've been playing a game called Cry Of Fear, and as much as I hate to say it. The game had quite of few moments that made me jump.

#1 Edited by CaLe (3953 posts) -

I think Amnesia when you say horror game, and yes it did scare meーI loved it precisely because it scared me. I can't be scared by movies so I love that games can give me that reaction. I wish there were more horror games.

#2 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I love horror movies and horror games. It's incredibly rare for a horror movie to scare me any more, but horror games are much much more successful in that endeavor.

#3 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Completely dependant on the game. Slenderman scared the balls off of me but that's about it.

#4 Edited by falserelic (5412 posts) -

@cale said:

I think Amnesia when you say horror game, and yes it did scare meーI loved it precisely because it scared me. I can't be scared by movies so I love that games can give me that reaction. I wish there were more horror games.

I remember playing that game with a friend. It definitely had the tension and creepiness.

#5 Posted by ShaggE (6415 posts) -

It really depends. I take in a ton of horror, so it takes a lot to really get me, but there are a couple games (Amnesia and White Day) that truly get my hackles up. I'm not going to lie, White Day is almost too much for me. There's just something about it that puts my nerves into overdrive.

#6 Edited by killacam (1284 posts) -

amnesia was the last game that legitimately scared me. playing through the silent hills multiple times in my life kind of... changed me. i guess.

#7 Posted by BaneFireLord (2920 posts) -

I dunno. I've never played one out of the fear that they'll scare me.

#8 Edited by falserelic (5412 posts) -

@killacam said:

amnesia was the last game that legitimately scared me. playing through the silent hills multiple times in my life kind of... changed me. i guess.

I love the SH series, Hell cry of fear actually reminds of SH...

When I got to that dark room like that guy in this vid. I almost fell out of my damn seat. Reason why was because I had my headphones on, and I was staring at the screen. It scared the hell out of me, but it was aswome at the sametime. I'm so glad I've found this game, and I'm surprise it was free on steam. Its been so long sense I've played a thrilling horror game..

#9 Posted by Intro (1206 posts) -

Balls of steel. I don't get scared easily by games, but will admit I've been scared of games before. Condemned 1 and 2 were awesome.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Hell no, mainly because a lot of them aren't very good at it.

#11 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Yes, I love them though

#12 Posted by YoThatLimp (1900 posts) -

I can't even play Dark Souls with the sound on, too creepy.

#13 Posted by Quarters (1674 posts) -

Most I ever get are jump scares, and that's just reflexes. I don't really get scared. My brother is nine years older than me and loves horror movies, so I grew up around it. I love horror games/movies, and they don't even remotely bother me.

#14 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

No but they stress me out like crazy. I've stopped playing games in this genre as I need video game time to have a relaxation component to it. If i'm playing horror games i wind up more exhausted than i was to begin with.

#15 Posted by Itwongo (1177 posts) -

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl scares me quite a lot, but I can manage. I couldn't even get through the first part of Amnesia, though.

#16 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I don't really enjoy most horror games, mostly because a majority of them rely almost entirely on jump scares. Jump scares don't scare me, they just irritate the hell out of me. Jump scares are the equivalent of someone yelling behind your ear or a dish behind you falling off the counter and breaking cus a cat knocked it over.

#17 Edited by falserelic (5412 posts) -

Even though I've mention this before. Playing Resident Evil:Survivor broke my fear of horror games.

When I was a kid I was scared and hated horror games. Until one day I decided to play this game. I remember being freaked out of my mind. I wanted to quit plenty of times, but the game didn't have a save feature. In no way in hell did I want to lose all the progress I've made, so I man the fuck up and finished the game. After beating this game I got this aswome thrill, and ever sense I've been playing horror games.

#18 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1725 posts) -

Horror games used to scare the hell out of me, and I loved them for it. Maybe they don't really anymore because most 'horror' games that come out these days aren't scary. Every once in awhile though, a great, actual horror game comes out. Most recently, Metro Last Light managed to get me quite a few times and had me on edge almost constantly.

There's nothing like being a little kid and playing Silent Hill or Fatal Frame for the first time, though. Even games that do manage to scare me now don't get nearly the same reaction as they used to. I owned the REmake for a year before I got the balls to play it.

That reminds me, though...I've had Amnesia sitting installed on my computer for a couple of years now. Maybe I should actually play it.

#19 Edited by stryker1121 (1399 posts) -

@intro said:

Balls of steel. I don't get scared easily by games, but will admit I've been scared of games before. Condemned 1 and 2 were awesome.

Condemned is an interesting animal...the bleakness and brutality of the games are what got to me more than anything.

Metro Last Light has its moments, too, especially if you stealth the game and sit back and listen to the NPCs tell some of the very creepy urban legends of the tunnels. I was genuinely a bit disturbed by a couple of the tales, particularly just crouching there in the dark like a spider as I listened to them. It was just a strange feeling, and the game's atmosphere is extremely oppressive as it is.

#20 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Unseen enemies + creepy music works pretty well to creep me out.

Jump scares also work but they're not that interesting.

#21 Edited by Sursh (243 posts) -

i don't get scared for some reason.

i do get creeped out via atmosphere, which the first dead space did quite well for the first hour.

#22 Posted by tourgen (4464 posts) -

sort of, yes. not scared, as in locked-up with fear and unable to think rationally, but they stress me out and wear me down. some horror games though are just funny. they're so ridiculous and transparent with the jump-scare setups that they just fail completely and work better as a accidental comedy.

#23 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

The things that Aren't explained scare me so it depends really.

#24 Posted by Lexus2jz (92 posts) -

I voted "No, I have balls of steel" because I never really get scared by horror games or movies but I do like to allow myself to get scared. If that makes sense.

#25 Posted by ajamafalous (11957 posts) -

I avoid all horror everything (games, movies, etc.). The sensation of being scared (jump scares are the worst; I don't really mind creepy shit) is awful and I'm not sure I'll ever understand why people like it. The adrenaline rush, I guess? I feel like there are other things you can do to just as easily get that rush.

#26 Posted by awesomeusername (4173 posts) -

I only jump a couple times when I have my headset on because monsters scream out of nowhere. Other then that, I got balls of steel.

#27 Edited by Jeust (10547 posts) -

Well, very few games really scare me. The last one was Nanashi no Game, with it's psychological trickery.

#28 Edited by falserelic (5412 posts) -

(Got me thinking of the horror games I've played in the past, if you just so happen to give a fuck I'll tell you some.)

Resident Evil- Creepy as hell at the time. After playing survivor I went ahead and played this game. Its got some of the most badass creatures in the RE series. Though there wasn't much weapons to use, and playing as Chris was harder. Still trying to find your way out of tough situations was always fun and thrilling.

Resident Evil 2-Pretty much an improved version of the original RE. Better animations, more weapons, and even more badass creatures.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - First Re game to have a dodge feature, and make your own ammo. You also have this asshole name Nemesis chasing you throughout the game. He's a bio weapon sent out to kill all S.T.A.R.S members (Police officers) by umbrella. It's not my favorite RE game,nemesis annoyed the shit out of me, but I like how the game took place in the city, and I liked the new enemies and weapons. Though I will admit Nemesis had alot of determination that's for sure.

Resident evil: Survivor- The first fps RE game I've played that gave me balls of steels. I liked how in the story your a guy who can't remember nothing, and the game takes a cool twist. It mostly relied on using handgun weapons, and some of the enemy's was bizarre like the agents in black, but still if it wasn't for this game. I probably wouldn't even be playing horror games as much.

Dino Crisis- Who knew dealing with Dinosaurs can be some scary shit. Dino Crisis follows the same gameplay formula as RE. Even though there's not as many weapons, you can customize your weapons that makes it feel different, and make ammunition that can be useful against the Dinosaurs. I had to be alittle more cautious playing this game then RE, because the Dinosaurs can snap your shit up real quickly. Even though I was near the end I've never beaten the game. I got stuck on a puzzle that confused the shit out of me.

Dino Crisis 2- This is where capcom fucked up. They decided to make it action-horror, and made it feel like an arcade shooter. If that wasn't bad enough the ending pissed me off. In Dino Crisis 3 they never explained what happen after Dino Crisis 2. Hell Dino Crisis 3 had nothing to do with the previous games, and took place in the far future in space with even more action.

Parasite Eve- First Survival-Horror rpg I've played. The story was very weird and confused me alot. You can use firearms and powers, but I never could get into this game much, and I never beaten it.

Parasite Eve 2- Now the sequel I was able to enjoy more. Sense it was more like the RE games with rpg elements. You can use some pretty neat powers, level up your character and use a good selection of weapons. It had some bizarre enemies and the story was still confusing as hell. Though just like the original I've never beaten it, aleast I was close near the end this time.

Parasite Eve: The 3rd Birthday- This one was action-horror. You can teleport use abunch of powers and weapons. The story this time was a bigger mindfuck then ever before, but this time I actually manage to beat the game. Though the ending was kinda sad, and pissed off a few fans of the PE series.

CountDown Vampires- A huge rip-off of Resident Evil except with vampires. Even though I tried to enjoy the game for what it is, the game glitched up on me and I never beat it.

That's it for now I'll probably post more horror games I've played later on.

#29 Posted by Yummylee (21485 posts) -

Depends on the game. Old school Resident Evil is pretty weaksauce in that department (though the remake can be rather effective), but Silent Hill games can still leave me feeling awfully uncomfortable, even the first one. Overall I would say I'm definitely still susceptible to being frightened by a horror game, and the occasional horror film... When there's actually a decent one to be found, which makes for an annoying rarity.

#30 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Depends on the game. Old school Resident Evil is pretty weaksauce in that department (though the remake can be rather effective), but Silent Hill games can still leave me feeling awfully uncomfortable, even the first one. Overall I would say I'm definitely still susceptible to being frightened by a horror game, and the occasional horror film... When there's actually a decent one to be found, which makes for an annoying rarity.

Yeah, as much as I played the Silent Hill games. Those games can still get me with the scares. Except for homecoming and downpour, those games wasn't nowhere near as scary as the previous one's. Now Shattered Memories I completely despise, and I don't consider it an SH game. Some people thought it was more scary then the original, and I just knew they was full of shit.

#31 Posted by avantegardener (1117 posts) -

I'm generally dreadful with tension, and oppressive atmospheres. I think I was actually far better when I was younger, I played through the 1st resident evil and silent hill 2 with relatively easily with a friend. I even found the 1st Bioshock tense, closest thing I've played recently which is loosely in that genre was Alan Wake, which is really just an action game. I don't mind gore or monsters as a rule, I guess it's all down to how it's delivered.

#32 Posted by SomeJerk (3212 posts) -

Non-horror games scare me better than horror games. Receiver is a great example of putting true fear into a player without "hurr shadowy thing / durr loud noise". Same with Dark Souls, like when you take a step too far and almost fall to your death, it's that simple. The gameplay makes for the scares, with how important your life gets.

But not a single one of these horror games, horror films, have ever done anything for me. Hell, even Doom 3 scared me a few times with those monster closets.

#33 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1560 posts) -

I get scared shitless by pretty much every horror game.

#34 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

@somejerk said:

Non-horror games scare me better than horror games. Receiver is a great example of putting true fear into a player without "hurr shadowy thing / durr loud noise". Same with Dark Souls, like when you take a step too far and almost fall to your death, it's that simple. The gameplay makes for the scares, with how important your life gets.

But not a single one of these horror games, horror films, have ever done anything for me. Hell, even Doom 3 scared me a few times with those monster closets.

(A non-horror game that comes to mind is Fallout:New Vegas. I remember I made a thread about it years ago)

http://www.giantbomb.com/fallout-new-vegas/3030-25933/forums/anyone-had-some-scary-moments-while-playing-new-ve-482761/#48

This game creeped me out at times, and the glitches didn't make things easier..

#35 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1420 posts) -

Yes and no; I guess it depends on the game I'm playing. I played through Dead Space and all the Resident Evil games with no problem, Fatal Frame though, fuck that. I got towards the end and called it quits. When you deal with ghosts that can shoot ghost fireballs on top of randomly appearing in front of you (especially if you take too long to get to where you were going) it becomes too much for my mind.

#36 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

Yes and no; I guess it depends on the game I'm playing. I played through Dead Space and all the Resident Evil games with no problem, Fatal Frame though, fuck that. I got towards the end and called it quits. When you deal with ghosts that can shoot ghost fireballs on top of randomly appearing in front of you (especially if you take too long to get to where you were going) it becomes too much for my mind.

In all my years playing horror games. I never had the chance to play that game. I hope one day it comes on psn along with clock tower and haunting grounds.

#37 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Resident Evil and Silent Hill, yes. Fatal Frame and Amnesia, Fuck me.

#38 Edited by Brodehouse (9841 posts) -

I'm only afraid of having to redo sections. I can be spooked and I can look at something and go "oh jesus this is a bad idea" but I'm rarely actually afraid of the game. I'm just afraid of dying and having to replay a half hour. I'm an adult, I have precious little gaming time to be spending redoing entire sections because the game is difficult.

#39 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

Haven't played a scary game in a while! I think they may be an extinct specie already.

#40 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1420 posts) -

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

In all my years playing horror games. I never had the chance to play that game. I hope one day it comes on psn along with clock tower and haunting grounds.

It's a great game I'm just a huge pussy lol

The best thing about that game is if you stand around too long or take too long to get to where you're supposed to go the game will spawn ghosts nearby for you to fight. The story's not bad either.

#41 Edited by falserelic (5412 posts) -

@shockd said:

Haven't played a scary game in a while! I think they may be an extinct specie already.

Well nowadays its hard to find an interesting horror game. Sense developers don't really put alot of effort into making one, and usually they'll end up using typical zombies, or having you running around with a flashlight defenseless. For me I like to see new concepts on horror games. Something that's unique and haven't been seen before.

#42 Posted by Zaccheus (1792 posts) -

I don't play horror games. That means Amnesia and the like, I'm totally fine with action games like Dead Space.

#43 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (533 posts) -

Nope. Not in a while anyway.

#44 Edited by kerse (2110 posts) -

It depends, gore and stuff like that don't really get me. But a really creepy/tense atmosphere can freak me out.

#45 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

Well I just got done beating Cry Of Fear. I enjoyed the game alot, but I have mixed feelings about the story. I felt like I knew what was going to happen at the end. Well aleast its yet another horror game I've played and beaten.

It didn't surprise me that the main character was crazy. I got the ending where he killed 2 police officers, and ended up in a mental hospital.

#46 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5402 posts) -

I have the interesting dilemma of being a big fan of horror in general, but turning into a big baby when it comes to actually partaking in it, which is exactly why I really enjoy something like Spookin with Scoops. I'm not too squeamish when it comes to blood and gore, but the anticipation and atmosphere really mess with me. I used to be better about dealing with that stuff, though as time's gone by I can handle it stuff less and less. The only type of horror I can deal with without trepidation is literature. So that's nice.

The dissonance I experience being a fan is unfortunate, given I'm so excited for the prospect of something like the Oculus Rift. I'd love to play a game like Slender man, Amnesia, or Routine with it. We'll see I guess.

#47 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

(To people that's abit fragile of horror games- Having the willpower of playing horror games is not hard. Just go with the flow, and overtime you'll start building a more stronger mindset. Yeah getting freaked out can be off putting at times, but that's the beauty of it. Going up against the odds while your at a disadvantage, and then overcoming that tough situation is so satisfying. Afterwards you might find yourself playing other horror games)

Anyway one horror game I just fucking hate is Siren:Blood Curse.

I hate this game with a passion. If it wasn't for my friend who forced me to beat the game. I probably wouldn't have even bother completing it. I remember getting frustrated alot playing the game, but holy shit did the story drove me nuts. It made no sense no matter how hard I tried to piece it together.

Hell wikipedia couldn't even give me a clear answer of the story. Felt like a twisted Japanese version of the Twilight Zone. This is one horror game I'm not fucking with no more. I had enough of the headaches, and all the bizarre unsolved mystery bullshit in this game. Shit, even the final boss battle was fucking weird. Anyway its been years sense I've played this game, and I have no desire to replay it.

#48 Edited by Animasta (14669 posts) -

I got scared by Metro 2033 and Stalker so yes

#49 Posted by Stonyman65 (2669 posts) -

It depends on the game. Out of memory the only games that really messed with me was Fatal Frame (I still can't play it) and Silent Hill 2. FEAR had some pretty good moments that go me off-edge too, but by the time I was halfway through the game I got used to it.

But yeah, pretty much anything that has to do with J-Horror style ghosts scares the shit out of me. Same thing with movies. I don't know why that does and not much else, but J-Horror fucks me up real good.

#50 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

It depends on the game. Out of memory the only games that really messed with me was Fatal Frame (I still can't play it) and Silent Hill 2. FEAR had some pretty good moments that go me off-edge too, but by the time I was halfway through the game I got used to it.

But yeah, pretty much anything that has to do with J-Horror style ghosts scares the shit out of me. Same thing with movies. I don't know why that does and not much else, but J-Horror fucks me up real good.

Some horror games that messed with me are..

Resident Evil Remake- Best remake I've ever played of a game. Everything was redesign and they made it felt like a new experience. The enemies was more vicious and looked more intimidating, environments was more darker and gritty, gameplay was thrilling as ever, scare moments was on point. I just fucking love this game its my favorite in the whole RE series.

Extermination- This game was gruesome and violent. The enemies looked like something off the movie the thing. It was pretty disgusting, and the enemies was hard to kill. First time I saw my comrade get mutated scared the hell out of me. That mutation of his looked painful.

Silent Hill- Woo shit did this game have atmosphere. Creepy as hell and it was hard for me to play. Facing off against those demons in that foggy evil town stuck with me. I remember the horror I've witness in this game, and I'll never forget it.

Silent Hill 2- Man this game was just as scary as the original. Hell it was straight up frightening at times. Especially with pyramid head going on a winning streak, giving pure rape and bustin nuts inside demons. It took me awhile to get over that rape scene.