Do I have a chance at learning programming?

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am fascinated since some years by now with everything that is related to computers and IT. While on the hardware part I learned a lot of thing by building my pc, I feel like I have never tackled the programming issue.

I was never good at math. Like in school I was mediocre at best. I needed to pay tutor in order to pass my exams at math and all. I never really thought of a purpose regarding this science. I was good at physics and chemistry to some extent but I resented math. What made programming such a big deal for me was the fact that since I was a little everyone told me you need math in order to learn how to write code. Personally I don't know if this is true and if yes to what extend. Like if it is simple math maybe I can manage, but what if it's not?

Anyways I am a self learner and recently this idea of learning to write code(for developing games especially) raised in my mind... Well don't get me wrong I am not aiming for triple a's or some of that sort, but I want to prove myself that I can make my own game, or program or whatever... that I can learn how to do it myself...even if it maybe involves math.

So now, at 20 yrs old, with almost all my math knowledge down the drain, what chances do I have at learning programming?(for myself that is). Do I need advanced math? Physics maybe? Should I abandon the idea altogether? And if I do have a chance where/how should I begin?

Lazlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm the same I absolutely SUCK at math (like really, really suck) and I've been doing programming for 4 years and I've had no problems. Its mainly algebra and logic. Although like I said I haven't been doing it for that long, but if you want to start learning it you will have no problem in regards to math requirements.

hylian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hylian

You can still learn.Just use some tutorials

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If you have a functioning computer, a functioning brain, and determination, yeah, you can learn programming.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are just trying it out to see if you like it then you do need to understand numbers and logic but it won't be too advanced. I imagine if you are making crazy algorithms and crap that you will need to be really good with numbers but you will be nowhere near that level when you start out so just try it.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By gundogan

Sure you can! There're plenty of free beginner programming courses with lots of handholding out there on edx and coursera and the likes. From there you can start messing around with Gamemaker (which doesn't necessarily require any programming skills, but it helps) or other easy to understand game engine.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

If you're good at it, you're good at it. I knew someone who didn't even go to college and worked odd jobs most of his life but was able to self teach himself in coding proficiently enough he was able to land a new career in it in around his 30's.

snow_blind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By snow_blind

You totally can. I'm an artist by trade. I was never great at math and I self-taught myself enough over the years to be able to call myself a programmer with a straight face. Programming is largely logic puzzles unless you're doing heavy simulation work (advanced graphics rendering/physics engines/science.) and even then people often underestimate how well they can comprehend algorithms. If you want to make regular business apps, games, websites, audiovisual experiences, etc. you'll be able to do so just fine. A lot of business IT is just scripting automation, hardly advanced science.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You totally can. I'm an artist by trade. I was never great at math and I self-taught myself enough over the years to be able to call myself a programmer with a straight face. Programming is largely logic puzzles unless you're doing heavy simulation work (advanced graphics rendering/physics engines/science.) and even then people often underestimate how well they can comprehend algorithms. If you want to make regular business apps, games, websites, audiovisual experiences, etc. you'll be able to do so just fine. A lot of business IT is just scripting automation, hardly advanced science.

I just want to echo pretty much what was said here. I'm not terribly great at math, but you don't use it to program too much except for like some 3D math and such. Here's the secret: the movies will tell you that people who are "good" at math are weird child prodigies who just look at the numbers and know the right answer. That's bull. Math (and programing) is hard for everyone. It just takes a lot of practice and determination and then you get more and more used to it until it's second nature.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

If you know enough math to understand the basics of Algebra you can learn programming.

Most programming is more learning a different language than math anyway.

FranticRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

You can absolutely be a programmer! Don't worry! Your lack of mathematics skills will only hold you back in certain ways. For example, with three dimensional games, you are going to be using matrices and quaternions and all sorts of Calculus stuff. You can still be a valuable asset to the team without these math skills, but you will limit your potential as a programmer.

snow_blind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By snow_blind

Also if you need something to get started, try Processing (https://processing.org/tutorials/). It's a Java derivative that comes with its own little self-contained editor without the need for complicated dependecy/environment setup. You write some lines, press Play, and watch your results. That's it. Less digesting theory and more tangible results that helps beginners iterate fast. It's geared towards visual things, but as you get better you will naturally learn the more advanced programming concepts that will be applicable everywhere.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not much math in game development. Programming is a very wide skill, some of its applications require heavy duty math skills whilst others not that much. I don't think there's much math behind game development. Go for it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There are a lot of different ways of applying programming, some will required more knowledge in math, others won't. I also have never been great at math, but I managed to get a Computer Science degree and a good paying job. My lack of math skills did make getting my degree much harder. I really had to put in extra time for certain classes, but I stuck with it and got through it. If this is something you really want to do, then go for it. You will be fine as long we you commit yourself.

@gamefreak9 There is a lot of math in video game programming. Depending on the kind of games you make the difficulty in math will vary, but they all involve some math.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann: @ssully:

I didn't say there is 0 math. I said the math is trivial. As somebody with a stats specialty whose written a bunch of technical papers I don't think I have any sort of advantage when it comes to programming games. Most of the math you can pick up on the fly.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything is possible, just depends how determined you are to learn it. If it's something you really wanna do don't let anyone stop you.=)

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't need to know so much about math to program. It's more like learning a different language. Most math needed for regular programming is simple math. Try it. Knowing how to take apart a real world problem into a computer program, then programming it into a computer and see it solved is a lot of fun and very satisfying.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'll be fine. You won't be coming up with your own lightning algorithms or anything like that but in terms of just programming you can get by without being great at math.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have stated you don't really need math that much. Enthusiasm and the ability to think logically is much more important. I'm not good at math and I managed to pretty much ace my programming courses at uni.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GiantLizardKing

I've been programming professionally for 9 years and I can probably count the number of times I'd needed to use formalized "math" on my hands. It's not so much that you need to be great at math, but it is often the case that people who are good developers are also good at math. Don't let that discourage you.

But like @ssully said, video game programming DOES involve a lot of math in general. But just because games are your hobby doesn't mean they need to be your job! I've written code for all kinds of different industries and they can all be fun. Not to mention they pay better and have MUCH better hours than game development. No better way to grow to hate your hobby than working 75 hour weeks in crunch time to get a game kicked out the door.

I recommend learning either python or C# as primary languages with javascript as a secondary language to learn. Both python and c# have different stengths and weaknesses. You should head over to codecademy or learncs.org and get hacking. You can do it! Any question you are going to have this early in the game has already been answered on google. Work hard, be patient, and have fun! :)

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Absolutely, I'd recommend you trying out the courses at codecademy.com. They're problem solving oriented, more than just passively listening/reading. Can be a real good start for someone eager to get going.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By sjschmidt93

I think it depends on what you do. For example, computer graphics involved a ton of linear algebra and matrix theory and such and machine learning requires a lot of upper-level statistics knowledge. I imagine if you were working on a physics engine you need a good deal of vector calculus and mechanics experience.

At some point, to be considered a "real programmer" or whatever, you will need to know some pretty basic linear algebra, calculus, and discrete math for sure.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

At one time the best programmers in the world knew as little about programming and math as you do now.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Learning has nothing to do with chance. If it's what you want and you enjoy it, there is no reason not to go for it.

As far as I know, programming doesn't great math skills, atleast not until you get into really deep stuff, just good logic.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raspharus: You don't need a 4.0average from Calculus 4 but you do need to understand algebra, logic and learn new words for mathematical concepts you already know. As long as you can tackle the concepts for if you do something, then a, b, or c may happen. Run a loop for a certain number of iterations, etc you'll be alright. Take a community college C# or Java class. See if you like it.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

There have never been fewer barriers to learning how to code. If you can create a post on Giant Bomb, you can go to http://www.codecademy.com right now and start learning web development.

AceBlack19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

There have never been fewer barriers to learning how to code. If you can create a post on Giant Bomb, you can go to http://www.codecademy.com right now and start learning web development.

This is a fantastic resource. Code Academy helped me a lot with early lessons.

If your interests lie in game design and you've never coded, I highly recommend downloading Stencyl too. While the main page says "without code," that isn't entirely true. What Stencyl provides is an easy-to-understand GUI for any code. It's a great tool for people just starting out.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nick

If you plan on doing a 4 year degree in computer science, yes you will most likely need to do a bit of math in order to graduate (prob. calculus 1, 2 and 3, linear algebra, and maybe more depending on your school)

However, the response to your question depends entirely on what you want to do. There are some specific fields that require math, for example: physics engines, image processing, compression, anything with statistics, crypography, etc.

Generally though, you don't need to know complicated math to be a programmer and get a job. If you plan on making a game by yourself the scope of the game won't be big enough that you will need to do any complicated math unless it's somehow involved conceptually.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By whur

Rails for Zombies: Code School

It's not about math it's about logic. Higher forms of math are about logic, not the numbers themselves. Do you think you're intelligent or logical? Then this should be no problem for you. Programming is a deep hole of efficiency and thinking head like chess.

Like learning an instrument, you must find a song you want to play before you can learn. You must find what you want to code before you can learn. This can be a calculator or whatever, as long as it's something that motivates you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Firstly just do it. If you have a functioning computer you already have everything you need to start programming. As for language try Python or maybe C# if you just want to focus on games as it's quite popular with some indy game scenes.

Now for the part you probably don't want to hear. Programming and Math are tied close together; sure you aren't going to be required to mix complex tasks in both together frequently, only in some aspects and tasks will require that, but its more the ability to think mathematically and logically that is used throughout coding.

Thankfully despite the mathematical mindset required with enough practise you'll be fine so just go for it and start coding like right now.