#1 Posted by Metatron_Da_Don (23 posts) -

The moneypak virus is the trojan that says the FBI is investigating your PC and to gives you instructions to deposit $200 via a Moneypak card to access your PC again (for 24 hours).

I think I got rid of it by going to safe mode (no internet connection) and only having 1 account I transferred my small # of files to a flash drive, and created a brand new account in Safe Mode and deleted the old one.

I'm 30 min in on this new account and no f### screen has popped up.So do I still have the virus? And if so how do I get rid of it?

#2 Posted by TyCobb (1944 posts) -

Removing a user account does not mean you cleaned your machine of a virus. Download an antivirus. There's plenty of free ones out there.

#3 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

virus scan your computer.

#4 Posted by ThunderSlash (1511 posts) -

You should probably reformat.

#5 Posted by Xolare (1269 posts) -

Malewarebytes

#6 Posted by xdaknightx69 (449 posts) -

@ThunderSlash said:

#7 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@xdaknightx69 said:

@ThunderSlash said:

This is the equivalent of nuking it from orbit. (It's the only way to be sure).

#8 Posted by SpydrMrphy (88 posts) -

You actually may have eliminated this specific one. Apparently it's easy to remove. However, you will want to get your self some anti-virus/anti-spyware software. If you don't have one right now, and don't want to pay there are many, many good freeware solutions.

I found some information on it, and found this video hopefully this will help others with avoiding this scam and removing this crap.

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Lol, switching user accounts doesn't trick a virus into submission. Here's some security software you can download for free.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

#10 Posted by Metatron_Da_Don (23 posts) -

Thanks guys much appreciated.

#11 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (2955 posts) -

Another thing you can try doing is if you have a previous restore point roll back your machine to a point before the time you may have got the trojan. If you don't have a previous restore point do what other people have suggested and run malwarebytes full scan in safe mode. If you check online their are some sites that will show you what .exe you need to delete and what registry lines you need to erase from your computer in order to get rid of it completely. Only do the latter if you have a good understanding of computers.

- Do not reformat your harddrive, unless its your last resort. I got the same trojan and the rolling back to a previous system restore point along with running malewarebytes in safe mode worked for me.