• 84 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Nephrahim (1160 posts) -

They've talked about weather once or twice on the Bombcast, and on the latest jars Jeff got into it again. I'm curious, are Air Conditioners really that rare a sight out on the West Coast?

I know the weather is less extreme there then it is here in the Northeast, but still, it's around 100-200 bucks (Much less then a lot of electronics we all buy), will last for years, and means that week or two of crazy high temperatures don't matter to you once you get home.

#2 Posted by Animasta (14745 posts) -

I had one when we lived in oregon, but it was definitely not common, and they were all usually not built into the place (the put it in an open window variety)

#3 Posted by Donkeycow (558 posts) -

Yea, i think its more a matter of not much central air rather then the window ones. And central air does not cost 200 bucks.

#4 Posted by 71Ranchero (2882 posts) -

The idea of not having AC is frightening but then again I am from Massachusetts so maybe that has something to do with it. Here in Indiana I go outside when its snowing in T-shirts and people think I am nuts.

#5 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I lived in San Francisco for years. There were only about 2-3 days per year where I wanted one. It doesn't get into the 80s much there. Where Jeff lives it gets warmer than SF, but still not as hot as most of the country in the summer. The coastal areas are pretty mild, but if you drive just a bit east you'll hit places where it's 95 degrees all summer. Those people have AC.

#6 Posted by isbecome (83 posts) -

California is really big. In some areas air conditioners are more common than others. It would be tough to make an all or nothing sort of statement for something like that.

#7 Posted by Daneian (1252 posts) -

Have lived in southern California all my life, haven't ever had air conditioning

#8 Posted by Butano (1805 posts) -

We've got em up near Sacramento. It was 106 the other day.

#9 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

The idea of not having AC is frightening

Same here.....I live in Ohio where the summers are hot and humid.

#10 Posted by Nephrahim (1160 posts) -

@isbecome said:

California is really big. In some areas air conditioners are more common than others. It would be tough to make an all or nothing sort of statement for something like that.

I was going to say SF in my topic but didn't want to risk too small a sample size.

#11 Posted by Kedi2 (255 posts) -

I live in a suburb relatively close to Sacramento and I have an air conditioner, and I everyone I know has one. Last Saturday it was around 108 degrees, so it's kind of a necessity to have one here for the summer.

#12 Posted by FoolishChaos (448 posts) -

Yeah where I live in California you really want to have an air conditioner. Its been like 90-105ish most of the week

#13 Posted by Animasta (14745 posts) -

@SamDrugbringer said:

@isbecome said:

California is really big. In some areas air conditioners are more common than others. It would be tough to make an all or nothing sort of statement for something like that.

I was going to say SF in my topic but didn't want to risk too small a sample size.

SF is also on the coast though, so anyone who lives near a coast is going to have way less extremes in temperature, and that's everywhere.

#14 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

As an Australian born and raised in Queensland and now living in West Texas, this is insane to me that people don't have AC.

#15 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I live in Washington and I only know a few people that have AC. I am not one of them.

#16 Posted by Irvandus (2937 posts) -

California is a magical land that doesn't always make sense.

Online
#17 Posted by MightyDuck (1526 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers: Same here in Chicago.

We've had the AC running all week with temperatures in the 90's. Too humid for me.

#18 Posted by Nephrahim (1160 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@SamDrugbringer said:

@isbecome said:

California is really big. In some areas air conditioners are more common than others. It would be tough to make an all or nothing sort of statement for something like that.

I was going to say SF in my topic but didn't want to risk too small a sample size.

SF is also on the coast though, so anyone who lives near a coast is going to have way less extremes in temperature, and that's everywhere.

Being on the coast doesn't save NYC from being hot enough that I'd be miserable without an AC.

#19 Posted by Nomin (983 posts) -

In Vancouver BC, the entirety of summer so far was mostly missing and replaced with rain, overcast, and more rain. Rarely breaks even 70 degrees.

#20 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (659 posts) -

@Butano said:

We've got em up near Sacramento. It was 106 the other day.

yup, thank god for the AC that day. (it was a little cooler in folsom, 104 was the highest we got i think)

#21 Posted by pyromagnestir (4344 posts) -

As someone with no knowledge of electricity and other utilities cost, I imagine saying an air conditioner is only a one time 200 dollar proposition is simplifying things a bit. But they are fucking worth whatever the cost.

@Atramentous said:

The idea of not having AC is frightening but then again I am from Massachusetts so maybe that has something to do with it. Here in Indiana I go outside when its snowing in T-shirts and people think I am nuts.

Well, I'm in Massachusetts, and I always shovel snow in a t-shirt, and maybe a light jacket to keep the t-shirt dry, and people think I'm nuts. Mostly the old people though, so maybe it's a youth thing.

#22 Posted by Zekhariah (695 posts) -

@Animasta said:

I had one when we lived in oregon, but it was definitely not common, and they were all usually not built into the place (the put it in an open window variety)

My experience with Oregon has been that air conditioning is standard in pretty much any house built post 1995. That anyone in California doesn't have it is surprising, the weather around here is garbage (cold and rain, black ice in the winter if its relatively cold) aside from mid-June to the end of September. Maybe its because people in California spend a lot more time outside, so the AC matters less?

#23 Posted by hwy_61 (945 posts) -

I live in a Chicagoland suburb and this past week we've been hitting high 90s. Our central AC isn't working, so we bought a couple of fans. It's bearable so long as you take PLENTY OF SHOWERS.

#24 Posted by 71Ranchero (2882 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@Atramentous said:

The idea of not having AC is frightening but then again I am from Massachusetts so maybe that has something to do with it. Here in Indiana I go outside when its snowing in T-shirts and people think I am nuts.

Well, I'm in Massachusetts, and I always shovel snow in a t-shirt, and maybe a light jacket to keep the t-shirt dry, and people think I'm nuts. Mostly the old people though, so maybe it's a youth thing.

My winter clothes are the same as my summer clothes but maybe sometimes I will wear a hoodie. 60 degrees is my comfort zone so living in Indiana is fucking rough.

#25 Posted by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

I'm super glad I was forced to go a year without any air conditioning. Now I hardly feel the need for it. I only ever turn mine on for the sake of my animals, otherwise I've sort of stopped minding being a little sweaty. It's especially nice too, when I walk outside and am the only person not feeling like they're getting hit with a brick of hot air.

#26 Posted by Subjugation (4754 posts) -

At least Idaho is a dry heat. Having spent time in Oregon, I really feel for you guys living in humid areas. I hated it.

#27 Posted by TRSJabber (26 posts) -

On the coast, it isn't usually necessary because the ocean breeze keeps the temperature down pretty well. I currently live in the San Fernando Valley (or "The Valley"), which just on the other side of the hill from Hollywood. We get NO ocean breeze and the summer months can get as hot as 110 degrees or higher. You bet your ass I have central air conditioning and refuse to live here without it. The Valley tends to be 10 to 20 degrees hotter than the area between Hollywood and the ocean. A nasty 100 degree day in the Valley can be a very nice 80 degree day 5 miles down the freeway.

#28 Posted by FateOfNever (1855 posts) -

Living some place where AC isn't considered 'needed' sounds beautiful.. It gets awful here in Nebraska during late spring/summer.

#29 Posted by Animasta (14745 posts) -

@Zekhariah said:

@Animasta said:

I had one when we lived in oregon, but it was definitely not common, and they were all usually not built into the place (the put it in an open window variety)

My experience with Oregon has been that air conditioning is standard in pretty much any house built post 1995.

Well I lived in apartment complexes so maybe you're right but I never saw very many AC units anywhere.

#30 Posted by believer258 (12310 posts) -

The people in California have no AC? You learn something new every day!

But damn. I just can't fathom living without an air conditioner running over the summer, especially here in the North Carolina foothills where it gets up to and sometimes over 100 degrees in the latter parts of the summer.

#31 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

@Atramentous said:

The idea of not having AC is frightening

Same here.....I live in Ohio where the summers are hot and humid.

I live in Georgia, where the summers literally choke the life out of you.

#32 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

man the north east blows we get the worse of both seasons.

#33 Posted by Bumpton (469 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

@Atramentous said:

The idea of not having AC is frightening

Same here.....I live in Ohio where the summers are hot and humid.

I live in Georgia, where the summers literally choke the life out of you.

Try Houston, TX! It's like walking through boiling hot soup in the summer!

#34 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i guess it's about where you live. i didn't find LA all that hot when i went there like 6 hours ago. it's a lot less humid there so it doesn't feel all that hot. in the east coast it gets hot, because it's humid.

#35 Edited by Xerxes8933A (227 posts) -

I couldn't stand not having AC. I live in northern Alberta and it get up to like 25-30(Think that's 80ish American?) degrees here during the summer month. I don't like to go outside when it's that hot.

#36 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

Humidity plays a big role in how uncomfortable I get. Back in April it rained for like a week, then the temp shot up to 90 one day. Puddles were steaming, it was like a sauna, and I wanted to die. Yesterday it was about 90 , breezy, and dry, and I was able to go for a 25 mile bike ride. I don't know where I was going with this, but yeah, humidity.

#37 Posted by Portis (1283 posts) -

I live in Southern California -- and hell no I don't have an air conditioner. It would be a waste of money to get one installed living where I live.

Though, California is a big state. There plenty of areas where air conditioners are more common -- like Palmdale. It's fucking hot there all the time. I live 2 miles from the ocean and it is always cold and foggy here, there hasn't been one day so far this year I would call "hot". I rarely cracks 71 degrees here.

#38 Posted by WilyBoy (163 posts) -

Typing as my air conditioner currently spares me from this humid 81 degree Philadelphia night, I can only say that living without AC seems insane.

#39 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

@FengShuiGod said:

Humidity plays a big role in how uncomfortable I get. Back in April it rained for like a week, then the temp shot up to 90 one day. Puddles were steaming, it was like a sauna, and I wanted to die. Yesterday it was about 90 , breezy, and dry, and I was able to go for a 25 mile bike ride. I don't know where I was going with this, but yeah, humidity.

Yup. That's why I air condition my place to 78-80 degrees. 80 and humid is uncomfortable to me. 80 and dry, which is what it is in my apartment since air conditioners remove moisture, is just fine.

#40 Posted by endaround (2148 posts) -

The Bay area is never far from 60 no matter what time of the year. San Diego is like always 75. But the Inland Empire?

#41 Edited by vince_kupo (142 posts) -

@ManU_Fan10ne said:

@Butano said:

We've got em up near Sacramento. It was 106 the other day.

yup, thank god for the AC that day. (it was a little cooler in folsom, 104 was the highest we got i think)

I live near Montreal, Canada and couldn't live without my AC

#42 Posted by Aronman789 (2673 posts) -

I live in Florida, no AC sounds like a form of torture.

#43 Posted by CounterShock (420 posts) -

You need one in the Central Valley, sometimes you forget that this is technically a desert.

#44 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

I don't have AC, it's also 87 degrees in my apartment right now. Kinda sucks

#45 Posted by JOSHardson (80 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

@Atramentous said:

The idea of not having AC is frightening

Same here.....I live in Ohio where the summers are hot and humid.

I live in Georgia, where the summers literally choke the life out of you.

I am right there with you. Memphis, TN feels terrible in the 80's because you swim through the air with a good pair of flippers. I sweat thinking about August and the 100 degree temps it brings. I need to move to Cali. Anyone have a room for rent?

#46 Posted by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -

I have one on right now and I live in the central valley in CA. It sometimes get to be around 95 degrees in my room. BALLS HOT

#47 Posted by happyfatman (149 posts) -

The Central Valley (Bakersfield, Fresno, Sacramento, etc.) is always hot. Consistently over 90 degrees and often over 100 in the summer months. Definitely need AC. Contrary to popular conception, California is not all beaches, bikinis, and perfect weather. A big chunk of the state is desert.

#48 Posted by Church069 (254 posts) -

I live in south Texas where it is above 90 degrees for about 10 months out of the year (above 100 degrees all summer). Plus being near the Gulf of Mexico makes it ridiculously humid. So having AC is an absolute must.

#49 Posted by YoThatLimp (1946 posts) -

@MightyDuck said:

@Guided_By_Tigers: Same here in Chicago.

We've had the AC running all week with temperatures in the 90's. Too humid for me.

God, I really am not looking forward to the humidity the summer brings here. I would take a longer winter here if we would just get rid of summer all together.

#50 Posted by DukesT3 (1952 posts) -

I'm sure its mandatory here in Houston. Gets hot as fucking balls here.. if you want a taste of it put a blanket in a dryer for about 30 minutes then wrap it around you and go outside in the summer.