• 194 results
#1 Posted by Humanity (8863 posts) -

#2 Posted by Humanity (8863 posts) -

That's what I was taught, and what I've done all my life. Today at work someone emailed me a document to proof read and I immediately responded with "you should put two spaces after periods" to which everyone in the vicinity turned around and was like "huh?" I thought it was like 'a thing' that was common knowledge and everyone knew. The proper way to type on a computer. So I googled it and the very first result is a scathing article about how you should never double space after a period. This had me perplexed as thats what I've done all my life - was I doing something wrong? No one in college or high school ever said anything and most typing programs default to that style.

So after some digging I found out there are two schools of thought on this matter. Basically those who do it and those who don't. People who insist you should never double space after a period apparently liken the practice to something on the magnitude of breaking the geneva convention.

So the question is do you double space or not? Have I been using an extremely out dated form of typing all these years?

#3 Posted by YI_Orange (1134 posts) -

Nope. They tried to teach us that too in like...6th grade but I guess it didn't stick. I don't see why you would do it. One space looks fine(I did two for this sentence just to see).

#4 Posted by Willtron (243 posts) -

Who the fuck taught you this? I've literally NEVER heard of such a thing. And people who enabled your GOD-DAMNED PROBLEM are insane.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9640 posts) -

Yes. I don't know who these mongrels are who aren't doing it properly. I also hate when punctuation correction software tries to fuck with me because the people who programmed it are grimy Epsilons who don't understand civilized writing.

#6 Posted by LikeaSsur (1495 posts) -

I set all my papers to double space, so yes. I technically do add 2 spaces after every period.

#7 Posted by Vigil (231 posts) -

I have always used a single space, never heard of using a double space after a period. Do what ever you want, its really not a big deal if you use a single or double space.

#8 Posted by dr_mantas (1804 posts) -

I really don't see the reason to double space after a period. Except maybe force of habit, or outdated typography rules. But single spacing probably saves on time and keyboard wear and tear.

I don't find double spaces bothersome or annoying, however. Just weird maybe.

#9 Posted by Humanity (8863 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Yes. I don't know who these mongrels are who aren't doing it properly. I also hate when punctuation correction software tries to fuck with me because the people who programmed it are grimy Epsilons who don't understand civilized writing.

Well it always made sense to me since when you read out loud you make a short pause for commas and a long pause for periods. Also it stylistically seems to divide sentences up a lot better. I see now that maybe this is the minority viewpoint on the matter.

#10 Posted by alternate (2688 posts) -

This one again? I feel we have had this at least a couple of times on this board alone.

Both are acceptable - if only because neither side is going to back down.

Basically if you were taught that way when you learn to type - right or wrong - you are pretty much stuck with it for life.

#11 Posted by MetalBaofu (1353 posts) -

Yeah, that's what I was taught. I think I have started to not do it all the time, though. It's not something that needs to be done anymore. It was a practice that started years ago because of how old typewriters spaced letters or something. And since that kind of letter spacing is mostly gone, it's not really needed anymore.

#12 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

Hell no.

#13 Edited by Brenderous (1098 posts) -

No. If you do, just stop. Stop. You're not using a typewriter, so you have no excuse.

@Brodehouse said:

Goodness gracious, you're so wrong. I'm sorry, but look it up. People only did that because of how typewriters spaced out the letters. It's 2012 and computers can add spacing wherever you like.

#14 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Nope.....I thought that was only common practice during the typewriter era.

#15 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

I was taught this as well, but I've stopped in the last year or so after my Graphic Design prof told me you shouldn't do it (especially with typesetting, you need all the space you can get).

#16 Posted by mosespippy (4050 posts) -

Double spacing after a period is only acceptable when using a typewriter or a fixed width font. Never use it in any other situation. Also, you should never use a fixed width font because that shit is fucking ugly and hard to read.

#17 Posted by Jay_Ray (1071 posts) -

@Vigil said:

I have always used a single space, never heard of using a double space after a period. Do what ever you want, its really not a big deal if you use a single or double space.

Ditto, I have never heard of adding two spaces after a period. Quite frankly there is barely a visible difference. Yeah very little difference. I would guess that this is an old typewriter rule that does not translate properly to computers but some people hold on to it.

#18 Posted by YOUNGLINK (539 posts) -

Always 2 spaces. Always 2 spaces. Always 2 spaces.

#19 Posted by Inkerman (1449 posts) -

No, I've never heard of that. Ever. Single spaces ftw.

#20 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

What? I've never heard of such a thing.

#21 Posted by Sogeman (866 posts) -

No, I'm not crazy enough for that.

#22 Posted by Akyho (1586 posts) -

I think this is a remnant of Typewriters with their faults and foibles. I was taught business studies for a year and the teacher was from the time before computers.

We were to type without looking and to use the full breadth of fingers on your keyboard centering on F and J were we have those little bumps. In that class I was taught to double space. When question it was retorted that is how you do it. Same was met with any other question realy, as I type fine with use of my main finger and thumb on each hand to dash around the key board.

#23 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

I was also taught this and did so until about the time I started posting here. A teacher in secondary school told me to not do it that way and when people on this forum also found the idea absurd, I stopped.

#24 Posted by BonOrbitz (2175 posts) -

I used to cuz that's what I was taught in high school, but I guess that's not practiced anymore along with capitalizing the first word that follows a colon.

#26 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I was always taught by computer and english teachers that it's always one space after a period. Also, seeing a double space after a period looks way too weird.

#27 Posted by Galiant (2181 posts) -

Never heard of it. One space. Why the hell would you put two?

#28 Posted by c_rakestraw (835 posts) -

Nope. Always thought it looked rather unsightly, actually.

#29 Edited by mikeeegeee (1552 posts) -

I immediately checked the spacing of the "double spacers" in this thread to see if they practiced what they preached. It seemed as though I'd had a "gotcha" moment. Turns out, the forum deletes any extra spaces after the first. I can't tell who is being honest :(

#30 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

I see very few people doing it, but I know it's a practice that's out there. The large majority of typographers say not to do it, and it's a pretty archaic way of doing things, you're just giving yourself unnecessary work.

#31 Posted by MrSpoon (53 posts) -

As long as you don't have Hepatitis or HIV, there's no reason to leave a space, though some do still see it as taboo, hence why a period is called a 'Full Stop' in the UK. As for sentence spacing, I remember being taught two spaces (English Spacing) while learning MS Word, Excel etc. But I just realised I never do now, it's largely irrelevant with modern typefaces according to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing

#32 Posted by gbrading (2002 posts) -

No. It's a redundant hangover from the days of the typewriter and telegrams. It will vanish, with time.

#33 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

No. And whoever taught you that needs to be kicked in the throat. That might be too harsh, but so is adding two spaces after a period.

#34 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

Really that isn't a thing? I have double spaced after a period thinking it was the proper way all my life.

#35 Posted by gumdealer (96 posts) -

Back in typing class they drilled the two spaces thing into us. If we only used one, we would actually get points off on tests. It was only in the last year that I got myself to stop putting two. It feels like I have awoken in a new world.

#36 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

No, because I'm not writing on a damn typewriter and my typography teacher would murder me.

#37 Posted by ShaggE (6348 posts) -

No. One space is plenty.

#38 Edited by Humanity (8863 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten said:

Why are all the people who don't double space so upset at those who do. I've never even thought about it. Let's see how it looks.

Edit: I think it looks better. Better

Thats what I don't understand. I thought it was just that article but like 90% of people in this thread have reacted with "what the fuck who taught you that bullshit?! Murder and rape their fucking families those double space fuckers!!!"

Especially since I don't really perceive any extra effort in hitting the space bar twice. It takes literally milliseconds more than just one space. I have noticed that the forums automatically trim them anyway but it's muscle memory at this point.

#39 Posted by forkboy (1118 posts) -

Both are acceptable, but I've always done 2 spaces after a fullstop. Just the way I was taught, literally don't even think about it anymore. Double tapping the spacebar is an instant reaction

#40 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

I actually did as a kid for some reason. I stopped when my teacher took it upon herself to fixing each of my sentences and telling me to do it the right way.

#41 Posted by Chop (1995 posts) -

I have never heard of this. This thread shattered my mind and completely obliterated my perception of reality!

#42 Edited by FateOfNever (1815 posts) -

I double space. But the people that are foaming at the mouth about people that do double space have some serious issues. The double space looks better to me, makes it more clear when reading where the end of a sentence is. I'll keep double spacing til the day I die.

Edit: Even if the forums try to tell me that I'm wrong and reduce all my double spaces to single spaces!

#43 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Brenderous said:

No. If you do, just stop. Stop. You're not using a typewriter, so you have no excuse.

People only did that because of how typewriters spaced out the letters. It's 2012 and computers can add spacing wherever you like.

Spread the good word! Banish ignorance and lead the world in a glorious new age of punctuation enlightenment!

I'm relatively certain that the only reason people double-space after punctuation is because of people who were alive before computers. Now that that generation is dying out, it's time to stop perpetuating this outmoded formatting. Now if we could only do something about those people who insert a space before ending punctuation.

#44 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

Sometimes.

#45 Posted by Bane122 (783 posts) -

Huh, I'd never heard that you weren't supposed to. And I barely ever used a typewriter so it wasn't just that that taught it to me.

The old school is the best school!

#46 Edited by GunstarRed (5044 posts) -

I used to all the time, but this topic came up on these boards before and someone mentioned it was an old typewriter thing so I stopped.

#47 Posted by notdavid (827 posts) -

My Dad tried to teach me to double space. I told him to go fuck himself.

Who's right now, Dad?!

Also, is there a standard form of punctuation for a question that's also an exclamation? Does the exclamation point go before the question mark, or vice versa?

#48 Posted by JJOR64 (18914 posts) -

Yes.

#49 Edited by MattyFTM (14350 posts) -

You're supposed to use two spaces after a period for monospaced fonts. Monospaced fonts are rarely used these days, so no, I don't. Doing so with proportional fonts is incorrect.

#50 Posted by CaLe (3916 posts) -

You've been duped by the sounds of things. I was once duped into putting a finger space between each word, but luckily god came to me in a dream and told me it was necessary no more. I hope you find god.