#1  Edited By EVO

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By EVO

I just got back from seeing Chronicle at the cinemas. Great movie, but I pretty much watched it last week at the cinemas, only condensed into 2 minutes, when I unfortunately made it in time for the previews before Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

I say unfortunately because for some time now I’ve been doing my best to avoid trailers. I like to go into games and movies on a clean slate. I made a special effort last year to avoid everything Uncharted 3 leading up to it’s release and I think my experience was better for it, since a lot of peoples complaints stem from the fact that the best bits were in the trailers.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Like the goddamn plague.

Trailers often take more then 2 minutes and showcase a lot of the scenes.
I avoid them when I can.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Vodun

If it's something I already know I'm interested in I'll stay away to get a clean experience. Otherwise I watch 'em to get an idea of what it is. Usually a trailer is far enough removed from final release that I'll forget any important bits that flashed by.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mosespippy

I don't watch movie trailers because I don't watch movies. I don't watch game trailers for games I don't care about or games that are about to be released. Something like the GTAV trailer I'll watch because I know it's gonna be forever before the game comes.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Cloudenvy

Depends on how interested I am in the product, I guess.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zeforgotten

Nope, If a trailer could ruin a movie or a game for me I should probably stop watching movies or playing games. 

"OH MY GOD! I already know the story, but they just told me what the story is about... OH MY GOD! THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THIS MOVIE! AND ACTORS PLAYING THOSE PEOPLE!?!?! FUCK! RUINED!" 

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By leebmx

If it is something I am interested in then yes I will avoid them. Sometimes they are useful though. Video Game trailers are generally less spoilery than movie ones.

I was watching a few on screened the other day and its amazing how much of the film some of them show. There was one for a movie about a guy stuck in a box and it ended up showing him getting out which I would have thought would be a really important factor in keeping the suspense up.

Its as if they don't think people will trust them to end the movie in a satisfactory way so they show you the whole thing potted into 2 mins.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By penguindust

No, I've avoided reviews, video previews and Quick Looks for games, but never trailers. No game franchise has ever been so tenuously constructed that a trailer could ruin it for me. However, sometimes there is saturation and I just get tired of the trailers and so I don't bother watching them. It's not out of fear for having something spoiled, it's just "enough already". Mass Effect 2 hit that last go-round and it seems ME3 is getting there, too. I don't bother with the character videos anymore because they bore me. On the other hand, I did like the ME3 multiplayer trailer even if I have zero interest in the feature.

Movies are a different kettle of fish, though because their trailers do ofter reveal too much of the plot these days. So far, however all the movies that have irritated me for this transgression have been movies I had no plans on seeing anyway. The movies I was excited to see and then watched their trailers didn't disappoint me later on. I'll be looking for additional trailers for The Avengers, Brave, TDKR, The Hobbit and others as they come forth.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

No I don't really care because there's no context and by the time i'll go see the movie or play the game I'll have forgotten everything about the trailer.

I just avoid them because eh.. they're kinda uninteresting. I know what kinda things I like, and if I miss any people recommend them anyway. Trailers are for people who want to get excited about stuff too early.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

Pretty much always, though sometimes I really wish I could have some restraint and keep myself in the dark concerning some games. Uncharted 3 for example spoiled all of the best set-pieces via the trailers.

EDIT: Or ''Never'' I should say... read the thread title wrong -_-'

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gosukiller

Always. I never watch any trailers unless it's an early announcement one.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By StarvingGamer

C. Depends on what the trailer is for

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

Oh hell yes.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I don't like watching trailers, they always seem to either reveal too much or nothing at all.

hastapura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hastapura

I like teasers (Prometheus looks incredible) but full-length trailers are usually loaded with spoilers and almost never cast the film in a flattering light. As for games...I do Quick Looks and written features. Gives a better picture of the actual game.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DopeToast

Definitely not. A well done trailer for a movie or game an get me really excited for it. It doesn't sell me the product, but if it's something I am already excited for then I will watch it quite a few times.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hot_Karl

Depends on the trailer. I've decided to skip The Dark Knight Rises stuff because I'd rather go into that movie cold & just be wowed by whatever Nolan's got up his sleeve, but I've also found that comedies have the absolute worst trailers. They'll give away the entire plot, as well as the majority of the laughs, unless it's an R-rated film with a PG rated trailer (like Bridesmaids, The Hangover, etc.) Stuff like Casa De Mi Padre have done the trailer thing well however, showing the gimmick (it's a Will Ferrell film but Will Ferrell & the cast speak in Spanish!) without giving away most of the laughs or plot.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I usually avoid them unless I'm absolutely unsure about buying a particular game... But even then I avoid the trailers because they don't really give any insight into the game, just some flashy videos.  If I'm already interested in a game, I don't need to have anything spoiled by simply watching a short video of it.  I really don't think they're all that useful...

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fourby

I will very rarely "go dark" on a game, I've got to be 100% certain I want it and that usually isnt the case. I've never been interested enough in a movie to do that though.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CounterShock

I do now. I watched some Uncharted 3 stuff before it was out, and it made me realize that this is totally ruining the game for me. So i'm much more blacked out when it comes to games like that now.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iam3green

no, i enjoy watching movie and video game trailers. i will watch a lot if i am interested in the game or movie.

you know what grinds my gears in some trailers, sometimes trailer will show a spoiler in it.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By ToxicFruit

Some trailers, it really depends on the game

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Gosh, yes. Games are not as bad but movie trailers often ruin it for me.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheFreeMan

Yep. I try not to watch any more than one trailer of a movie or a game. I totally avoided trailers and gameplay of Uncharted 3 so it would be a surprise when the stuff actually happened, and I'm glad I did.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By nintendoeats

I go dark on pretty much everything. If it's not out yet then any information that I get will only decrease the value of the experience that I will eventually have.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude

No, trailers have never bothered me. Actually, I'm a fan of them.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By M_Shini

I don't avoid them but i don't actively seek them out which keeps allot of games i play mostly fresh for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's just say Mass Effect 2 would have been a lot better if I didn't know about Legion. I've since remained pretty blacked out about most games that I'm really looking forward too. I've seen very little of Mass Effect 3 or Dead Space 2. I was more or less able to guess what Mass Effect 3's main story was going to be based on the first trailer, and some of the missions that carry over from the first game. It's quite obvious why you do what you do.

altngr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By altngr

Generally I won't.

But for Mass Effect 3 I'm avoiding all trailers and previews after the demo leak, and the early game spoilers from before ME2.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By justicejanitor

For movies and story driven games that I'm already interested in, absolutely.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I usually go in dark on the story and gameplay of most games (that REALLY paid off in Bulletstorm) for the sake of experiencing it all for myself the first time, but I will see if one of the guys from GB liked it or not before I buy. If it's two or three stars (yes, I know it's really about the written review and the not the stars, but in this case, it's what I initially judge off of), I usually look into games more to see if I will like them, even if the staff did not so much.

Same pretty much goes for film.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NTM

No, definitely not, 'cause then I don't know what I could be excited about. I love seeing previews before the movies in theaters. If it weren't for the Prometheus trailer that came out a while back, or that other less impressive looking Lock-Out film trailer, I probably wouldn't be as excited as I am.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By supermonkey122

No, if it's a game I'm excited for, I'll usually watch them multiple times.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SSully

It all depends on the game. If it is something like Uncharted where the game lives and dies on the set pieces, then I will ignore trailers. But if its something like twisted metal where its all about the gameplay, then I will watch everything there is for it.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By rjayb89

No, I find that experiencing whatever medium in its fullest is the best so I don't even bother with trailers. Worst case scenario with a movie is I just lost 2 hours, which isn't as much I might spend with a game. Since I follow games very closely compared to any other medium, I know what I like and if I get any suggestions on what to play it'll be carefully considered.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EVO

@VinceNotVance said:

I've also found that comedies have the absolute worst trailers.

Yeah, comedies are especially bad. There's always that one joke in the movie that everyone's already seen. And when it comes around, there's just this forced laughter throughout the cinema.

morkaithewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By morkaithewolf

I avoid movie trailers whenever I can because it seems like alot of the good ones show the best scenes and others show things not in the movie (I'm looking at you Paranormal Activity 3).

As far as video game trailers, I only like watching teasers because I usually like to learn more about the people creating it, past work they did and to see developer diaries on how it's coming along. Less likely to ruin something but also because alot of video games don't want to ruin the big moments in the trailer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I only watch the reveal trailer so that I miss out on the later ones, which basically tell you the entire plot line/twists of the story.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By huntad

No, I don't avoid them, but I probably should. A lot of the cool stuff in games/movies can definitely be spoiled in a trailer. Like others have said though, it's hard to avoid trailers if you don't know enough about a game and want more info.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I fall into that grey area, where it depends on the game/movie.

Damn you for making me choose.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EvilTwin

I love trailers.  Sometimes trailers are better than the actual product they're advertising.

That said, there is the occasional movie or game I like to go on complete media blackout for.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Karl_Boss

I don't care either way.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#44  Edited By Kidavenger

If I'm positive that I will play the game/movie anyway, I will avoid watching anything about it until after I experience it for myself.