#1 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

#2 Posted by froesti (101 posts) -

What?

#3 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I'm only jealous of rich black women.

#4 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Hate is hate from what I understand.

#5 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

I'm not rich by any means buts some comments from a friends sister on Facebook has me a bit upset. "Rich people who are used to buying everything don't like to be told no!" and other such hate speech to the point of her outright saying she hates anyone who's "rich". I'd like to remind her that "rich people" like doctors and surgeons saved her brother from death and have been keeping him alive all these years and she should rethink her life, but out of respect for him I'm keeping my mouth shut. Even though to me this is the same as racial hate speech or sexist hate speech.

What I'd like to know if you guys think hate and jealousy towards wealthy people is as bad as hate speech towards other races, genders, sexual preferences etc. The reason I ask is she's a big supporter or Obama who obviously likes to preach equality towards races and sexes, but when it comes to people who have more money then them they foam at the mouth.

#6 Posted by laserbolts (5310 posts) -

Yes.

#7 Posted by StrikeALight (1112 posts) -

Yep. Don't be hating.

#8 Posted by WilliamHenry (1200 posts) -

No, not even close.

#9 Posted by Veektarius (4541 posts) -

C. It certainly has been at certain points in history - for example, the French Revolution. At the same time 'bad' doesn't mean the same thing as 'wrong'. In the circumstances of those times, the wealthy were very much profiting on the backs of a suppressed lower class. The revolution changed the balance of power. The difference between racism and sexism and classism is that the real danger posed by racism and sexism is the repression of an underprivileged and underrepresented class that lacks the resources to live a fulfilling life. When we're talking about resenting the rich, this does not affect their quality of life very much until people turn to violence.

#10 Posted by Gruff182 (851 posts) -

Good subject, interested in peoples thoughts on this.

Hate is hate, I just think this spawns from jealousy.

#11 Posted by Drebin_893 (2895 posts) -

Yes, they're just as bad, with both most likely caused by misinformation and/or jealousy.

#12 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

I'd say its a different kind of hate really. Not positive of the exact semantics about it though. :P

#13 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

#14 Posted by Beforet (2911 posts) -

Hell, I half believe most civil rights issues (gender and race for example) stems from class hatred.

#15 Posted by SpartyOn (500 posts) -

No because you're talking about hate and jealousy as if they're identical...which they aren't. Resentment of the wealthy is due to jealousy, or the fact that people wish they had what the wealthy have. Hate towards a race or gender is just a bigotry that is completely unwarranted and outdated in modern society.

#16 Posted by NTM (7235 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

I'm only jealous of rich black women.

With Hispanic daughters that bought a small Chinese boy.

#17 Posted by heis24 (39 posts) -

Get off your fucking ass and work. Too much entitlment in this country (USA).

#18 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

Obviously hate is hate and it's all dumb. But being rich isn't the same as been white or black or being a man or a woman. Those things are what you are. They're literally in built parts of your body and your physical makeup that are yours and aren't going to ever change. Someone hating on me for being rich would be annoying and dumb, but not overly offensive. I guess jealousy, maybe? But someone hating on me for being black is deeply, deeply offensive. It's the colour of my skin, what I was born with. Not something I've done in life, or decisions I've made. Likewise, hate based on being a woman.

But yeah, hate is dumb whatever.

#19 Posted by Jeust (10454 posts) -

It's all jealousy.

#20 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

I'm not sure where the jealousy comes into play in race or genderhate. But it's fairly obvious when it comes to wealth.

I do however believe that the prejudice and discrimination of rich people is just as bad morally as cases of hate for gender and race. Honestly, all discrimination is the same, they just have a varying level of priority. I mean, it sucks to be discriminated against for life choices, like being a vegetarian. But at least it's not something: 1. Out of your control. 2. A really fucking large amount of people. Like being a woman, or black. Those have a sliiightly higher spot on the "to fix" list.

#21 Posted by believer258 (11570 posts) -

No. The difference is that there isn't often any jealousy involved in gender or race hate, and any hate toward rich people generally leaves them unaffected unless it's either widespread or causes violence.

Another difference is that it isn't always unjustified. Rich people can often make decisions that hurt the already shaky quality of life that poor people have. Government raises taxes, company executives lay off thousands of workers and raise their prices, etc, and in the eyes of a poor man who spends every day struggling to feed his family, that's evil. You might not be able to understand that hate if you've never heard your parents say "How are we going to pay these bills and feed ourselves"?, but at one time I did hear my parents say such things in angry and shaky voices, it's a horrible feeling and one that thankfully doesn't occur much anymore. It probably helps that now I pay for my own gas, often my own food, and now my own phone and insurance.

I don't, by the way, hate rich people in general. I hate rich people who use their wealth and power without any consideration whatsoever for the less fortunate, who only care about seeing numbers go up and will hurt anyone and any group in order to do so, but that just goes hand in hand with my hate of anyone who lords power over someone that is helpless to do anything back.

#22 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

No because as soon as a Romney type cuts you a fat paycheck you love him.

#23 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

Qué?

#24 Posted by gaminghooligan (1403 posts) -

no because one is envy and the other is racism/sexism

#25 Edited by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

Not the same ..... one is most of the times not deservd as no one can modify of what race / color they are born into , the other one if said rich person is an evil doer deserves all the hate (FYI I dont think being a doctor = to being rich ... I think she ment more like the bankers or big corpo douche bags)

#26 Posted by twigger89 (277 posts) -

@Jams said:

I'm not rich by any means buts some comments from a friends sister on Facebook has me a bit upset. "Rich people who are used to buying everything don't like to be told no!" and other such hate speech to the point of her outright saying she hates anyone who's "rich". I'd like to remind her that "rich people" like doctors and surgeons saved her brother from death and have been keeping him alive all these years and she should rethink her life, but out of respect for him I'm keeping my mouth shut. Even though to me this is the same as racial hate speech or sexist hate speech.

What I'd like to know if you guys think hate and jealousy towards wealthy people is as bad as hate speech towards other races, genders, sexual preferences etc. The reason I ask is she's a big supporter or Obama who obviously likes to preach equality towards races and sexes, but when it comes to people who have more money then them they foam at the mouth.

It's not the same, but it's definitely stupid and discriminatory. We have to remember that things like race and ethnicity are not choices you can make, and there is a sad history in human civilzation of people being brutalized and abused on a systematic level because of their race. That is much worse than hating rich people/

#27 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3002 posts) -

@believer258 said:

No. The difference is that there isn't often any jealousy involved in gender or race hate, and any hate toward rich people generally leaves them unaffected unless it's either widespread or causes violence.

Another difference is that it isn't always unjustified. Rich people can often make decisions that hurt the already shaky quality of life that poor people have. Government raises taxes, company executives lay off thousands of workers and raise their prices, etc, and in the eyes of a poor man who spends every day struggling to feed his family, that's evil. You might not be able to understand that hate if you've never heard your parents say "How are we going to pay these bills and feed ourselves"?, but at one time I did hear my parents say such things in angry and shaky voices, it's a horrible feeling and one that thankfully doesn't occur much anymore. It probably helps that now I pay for my own gas, often my own food, and now my own phone and insurance.

I don't, by the way, hate rich people in general. I hate rich people who use their wealth and power without any consideration whatsoever for the less fortunate, who only care about seeing numbers go up and will hurt anyone and any group in order to do so, but that just goes hand in hand with my hate of anyone who lords power over someone that is helpless to do anything back.

Pretty much this. People who make a lot of money aren't a problem- you don't see people foaming at the mouth against Gabe Newell or Notch because how dare they be wealthy. It's for much the same reason that people were turned off by Romney- not because he was obscenely rich, but because he was so rich and used every loophole he could find to avoid paying taxes for years and years while telling all of his supporters about how half the country was nothing but parasitic moochers. People don't have a problem with wealth, or the wealthy, or even the class division in the country- they have a problem with the elitism and the hate that comes their way from some of those well-off, high profile people. That's another issue- simply by virtue of being in the upper class of society, they receive more attention and publicity when they say something vile or idiotic, which just further perpetuates this idea that the wealthy, for the most part, don't care about or even outright despise the less prosperous.

#28 Posted by depecheload (493 posts) -

This seems like the kind of thing that republicans say when they whine about their idea of "class warfare" i.e. the rich paying higher taxes.

#29 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

I think hate based on ethnicity, gender or religion is due mainly to ignorance. Hatred of the rich is due to envy, whether people want to admit that or not. I would argue that the former is much worse than the latter, but both are unacceptable. There are perfectly legitimate reasons to hate anyone. That is what most hatred lacks: proper justification

#30 Posted by Milkman (16486 posts) -

No, not even a little bit. There's a huge difference between racism or sexism and envy. No rich people are being discriminated against or held back because of "jealousy."

#31 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

No because money can change a person, being black can't.

#32 Edited by phantomzxro (1558 posts) -

I find this to be a weird question but if a had to give an answer. Hate is hate and is never good but if had to give an opinion based on your question i would say a rich person is still rich at the end of the day and more or less can shake hater off because if there doing good for themselves who needs to worry about haters.

Gender and race hate has a history of happening since the beginning of America so i can consider it a bigger problem. As to the ones who don't have the status to overcome hate, it can be a feel problem to the individual and the world if it creates violence.

#33 Posted by gamefreak9 (2336 posts) -

Don't hate people for things they can't control...

#34 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

Nope, money is come and go, race and gender are forever. Well I guess you can change your gender, but that's a whole other can of worms.

#35 Posted by Illuminosopher (318 posts) -

@Jams said:

Not to dismiss the saving of her brother from death but did these doctors do it for free and out of the kindness of their collective hearts or did the charge more money then I will ever see in my life?

I don't hate rich people I hate money and what it does to people.

#36 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Yes, it is. If you're rich and hate poor people, fuck you. If you're poor and hate rich people, fuck you. If you're poor and see a rich person being a complete douchebag, and then proceed to hate HIM, that's fine.

#37 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19306 posts) -

They're absolutely not the same.

#38 Edited by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

Stereotyping in any form and hate based on that stereotyping is idiotic.

EDIT:

This is actually part of the reason Obama fell out of favor with me. I'm under the impression that, if he could, he would blame every wealth person and corporation for every problem the US has ever had.

#39 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1230 posts) -

Not especially strange poor people are mad at rich people in today's USA, really. Or anywhere for that matter. I really wouldn't liken it to hate because of race etc. It's not jealousy either, it's frustration that's vented toward the wrong people, because they see someone have something they don't and do not understand why they can't have that as well. Sure, many people are idiots and 'entitled' or whatever, but it's not entirely uncommon with people just being pissed off at other people for having any kind of job. It's a shitty world and we fucked ourselves, it will get better.

#40 Edited by Kidavenger (3488 posts) -

@gamefreak9 said:

Don't hate people for things they can't control...

Pretty much this; should probably not waste time hating anybody, but hating someone for their attitude or something they've done is more reasonable than skin colour or gender.

#41 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4907 posts) -

No, jealousy can't be compared to racism and sexism.

#42 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

We're delving into the mystical realm of ethics here OP. Personally, I believe that hate in and of itself is bad and should be actively discouraged. I don't believe that there are tiers of hate, or that any of those supposed tiers are acceptable in the least. I am by no means a religious man, but there truly is merit to the Biblical passage "He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes."

Harboring hatred against others is neither healthy nor virtuous.

#43 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

Depending on the given situation, you could make a decent case for hating wealthy people.

#44 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

I think hate based on ethnicity, gender or religion is due mainly to ignorance. Hatred of the rich is due to envy, whether people want to admit that or not. I would argue that the former is much worse than the latter, but both are unacceptable. There are perfectly legitimate reasons to hate anyone. That is what most hatred lacks: proper justification

I mostly agree with you with exception to needing "proper justification" to hate. In a philosophical way, hatred always seems to grow from a "root evil", whether it begin as envy, or pride, or ignorance (one could argue that ignorance is in some way an evil).

#45 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -

Rich people who are used to buying everything don't like to be told no

I'm sorry but how is this "hate speech".

As for the question, no, I don't think they are equal. And hate and jealousy are very different things, even if they appear to be the same by the observer, they have completely different origins. Jealousy of rich people is normal. People want money so they can have easy lives. I doubt a lot of people actually hate someone on the grounds of them being rich. That's just ridiculous.

#46 Edited by Labman (287 posts) -

Absolutely! Hating another person for being different than you, whether that difference be in terms of their race, sex, religious beliefs, wealth, or anything else for that matter, is wrong. In fact, I would go so far as to say that any hate directed toward a person is wrong...including hate directed at yourself!

Having said that, one could argue that without hate, there would be no such thing as love. Without hate as a comparison, the idea of love would be null and void. Love would just be the way things are...without there being anything special or good about it. Same goes for the ideas of good and evil, day and night, wrong and right. But, that's more of a philosophical discussion that we can save for another thread. :P

#47 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

Hate is hate from what I understand.

#48 Posted by Ares42 (2559 posts) -

I think the idea of hate-speech is silly. Grading what things are ok to generalize and what aren't makes absolutely no sense. Hating someone because they have blue eyes or they wear black t-shirts or they have a lisp are all the same, what matters is the acts of hatred. Take any of the awful organizations we've seen in our history (like Nazis or KKK or whatever) and replace their cause with something silly like people who eat carrots. Would that in any way lessen their crimes against humanity ?

#49 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

Poor people are always pissed off at something.

Especially hygiene and basic dentistry.

#50 Posted by Elwoodan (742 posts) -

hate because of wealth? yes. but i'd have to imagine a good bit of the hate directed at the "1%" isn't that their rich, it's the callous business practices and the overall shitty way some people act that draws the hate. For instance, I have been doing some research on the early 20th century "coal barons" of my home state (WV) and their image is so negative not because they where rich, but because they built their fortunes by ruining the lives of the people who worked for them. they bout sub-standard safety equipment and required miners to live in pre-fab company towns built right on top of the mine (which caused a whole host of problems), just to keep their profit margins high.