#1 Edited by Ninjafern (381 posts) -
#2 Posted by BothBarsOn (100 posts) -

Well, this is going to be depressing  ....

#3 Posted by Brandy (466 posts) -

Too bad there's not a "to a point..." option on there. Having taken a class on Evolution (not my choice, bleh), I can say I agree with his theory to a point, but some of it also ends up sounding absurd.

#4 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -
Brandy said:
"Too bad there's not a "to a point..." option on there. Having taken a class on Evolution (not my choice, bleh), I can say I agree with his theory to a point, but some of it also ends up sounding absurd."
Please elaborate.  I'd like to get a good discussion going here.
#5 Edited by TheGodOfHell (29 posts) -

I do not personally believe we descended from apes. But I'm open to the idea, so my answer will be not sure. When it comes to the subjects of evolution, creation and religion, I believe none of the words that come out of the mouth of a physical, organic being. Nothing is ever the way man sees it.

#6 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -

14%... : /

I voted yes; never been a fan of creationism.

#7 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -
TheGodOfHell said:
"I do not personally believe we descended from apes. But I'm open to the idea, so my answer will be not sure. When it comes to the subjects of evolution, creation and religion, I believe none of the words that come out of the mouth of a physical, organic being. Nothing is ever the way man sees it."
Keep in mind that evolutionary theory doesn't state that we descended from "apes" but that both apes and humans descended from a common ancestor.  Humans are most recently descended from the cro-magnon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cro-Magnon

#8 Edited by suneku (2997 posts) -

I remember reading an article about how many American's believe in this theory awhile ago, the number looks like it hasn't changed. I voted yes.

#9 Posted by KingOfIceland (653 posts) -

Yes, we are evolved from something.

#10 Posted by ManlyBeast (1134 posts) -

Nope. Don't believe in religion either.

#11 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -
ManlyBeast said:
"Nope. Don't believe in religion either."
Do you have an opinion on the diversity of life then?  What is your personal thought on the matter?
#12 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -
ManlyBeast said:
"Nope. Don't believe in religion either."
So what's your explanation, seeing as there are basically no secular alternatives to evolutoion.

This question is idiotic, if you do not believe in gravity it will still make your dumbass plummet down. Evolution has been proven (if you want something solid go check out the E.Coli testing of evolution/DNA/medicine), get over it.
#13 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I voted yes and I'm agnostic.

I agree with Darwin's theory on evolution. Creationism as its called now is something I find entirely absurd.

#14 Posted by ManlyBeast (1134 posts) -
n1Nj4d00m said:
"ManlyBeast said:
"Nope. Don't believe in religion either."
Do you have an opinion on the diversity of life then?  What is your personal thought on the matter?
"
Nope. Humans always either pick evolution or religion so they can understand why they exist.
#15 Posted by super_machine (1929 posts) -

Given the alternative explanations, a big yes.

#16 Posted by EvilDingo (589 posts) -
n1Nj4d00m said:
"Today is Darwin's birthday.  I found an article that says that only 14% of American's believe in evolution.  What do you think?"
so, don't suppose this poll is for us non-americans. I suppose that will screw the statistic up.
That number does seem absurdly low though
#17 Posted by Mercator (365 posts) -

It is absurd to not believe in evolution in some form or another...because quite simply there is proof of evolution.

Human evolution vs. magic bullshit is one thing, but to ignore evolution outright is ignorant.

#18 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -
EvilDingo said:
"n1Nj4d00m said:
"Today is Darwin's birthday.  I found an article that says that only 14% of American's believe in evolution.  What do you think?"
so, don't suppose this poll is for us non-americans. I suppose that will screw the statistic up.
That number does seem absurdly low though
"
Absolutely not!! Please answer the poll!!
#19 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -
ManlyBeast said:
"n1Nj4d00m said:
"ManlyBeast said:
"Nope. Don't believe in religion either."
Do you have an opinion on the diversity of life then?  What is your personal thought on the matter?
"
Nope. Humans always either pick evolution or religion so they can understand why they exist."
So you don't have a personal opinion on the origin of life on Earth?
#20 Edited by EvilDingo (589 posts) -

Actually I'm pretty confused about the number stated in he article. 

The 14% you mention is actually from a older Gallup poll from last year with a different wording, than a more recent poll in which 39% of all americans supposedly believe in evolution.

From the article:

A Gallup poll released this week shows that 39 percent of Americans say they "believe in the theory of evolution," while a quarter say they do not believe in the theory, and another 36 percent don't have an opinion either way.

This follows an earlier Gallup poll on the issue, conducted last May, that found only 14 percent of Americans believe that humans developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life. Forty-four percent believe that God created human beings almost overnight within the past 10,000 years, and another 36 percent believe that God guided humans' evolution from animals over a much longer period of time.

#21 Edited by Megalon (1392 posts) -
ManlyBeast said:
"n1Nj4d00m said:
"ManlyBeast said:
"Nope. Don't believe in religion either."
Do you have an opinion on the diversity of life then?  What is your personal thought on the matter?
"
Nope. Humans always either pick evolution or religion so they can understand why they exist."
Evolution is not a belief system though...it's a theory, with you know, facts and stuff. It's not something you need to "pick" or "choose" to believe in. The example someone said of gravity is a good comparison - you don't have to believe in it for it to exist, it's there either way.
As with all scientific theories, the moment there is one shred of proof that it is incorrect, it's no longer valid. 
#22 Posted by Kr3lian (310 posts) -
Megalon said:
"Evolution is not a belief system though...it's a theory, with you know, facts and stuff. It's not something you need to "pick" or "choose" to believe in. The example someone said of gravity is a good comparison - you don't have to believe in it for it to exist, it's there either way.
As with all scientific theories, the moment there is one shred of proof that it is incorrect, it's no longer valid. 
"

I appreciate the comment, but that is not technically true.  If theories were discarded at the first "shred of proof that it is incorrect," then we wouldn't ever have any theories.  The inherently inductive nature of science, coupled with scientists' subjective biases, always assures that somebody will have evidence to the contrary.


It just so happens that with the Theory of Evolution, the evidence against is so weak and in such a small proportion that Evolutionary biologists generally ignore it, because that evidence is probably wrong or made up.
#23 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -
Kr3lian said:
"Megalon said:
"Evolution is not a belief system though...it's a theory, with you know, facts and stuff. It's not something you need to "pick" or "choose" to believe in. The example someone said of gravity is a good comparison - you don't have to believe in it for it to exist, it's there either way.
As with all scientific theories, the moment there is one shred of proof that it is incorrect, it's no longer valid. 
"

I appreciate the comment, but that is not technically true.  If theories were discarded at the first "shred of proof that it is incorrect," then we wouldn't ever have any theories.  The inherently inductive nature of science, coupled with scientists' subjective biases, always assures that somebody will have evidence to the contrary.


It just so happens that with the Theory of Evolution, the evidence against is so weak and in such a small proportion that Evolutionary biologists generally ignore it, because that evidence is probably wrong or made up."
I think this speaks to the general public's misunderstanding of what a "scientific theory" actually is.  Science isn't really based on "facts", it's based on evidence, testability, it's ability to be falsified, etc.  This has really allowed the "Intelligent Design" movement to gain a lot of momentum with the public who generally doesn't understand what "theory" means.
#24 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Yes. Evolution provides evidence and facts, unlike Creationism.

#25 Posted by ThomasP (1655 posts) -

Yes.

#26 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

I believe in both evolution and intelegent design *creationism*

#27 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

It's the only logical theory of how we came to be that I've heard.

Moderator
#28 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

Maybe when I actually see some fossil evidence of missing links, that are not artists renditions, or reconstructions of tiny fragments of bone. (for instance, one of the most important fossil discovery's was Lucy, however, the actual remains that were found are the few pieces of jaw, ribcage, and skullcap, which they found spread out over a square-mile dig site. They put these pieces on a wire frame, in a position they think the creature may have walked, and filled in the massive gaps with plaster to form what they think the creature may have looked like.) These fossils just aren't convincing to me. If we really were changing over millions of years... there really should be more evidence.

#29 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

Given that evolution is objectively true, and we can verify its truth through experimentation and observation, I voted yes. I'm sure there are some places where Darwin was wrong, however, I'm voting for evolution, not everything Darwin ever touched.

#30 Posted by mracoon (4947 posts) -

I voted 'Yes' but like others I think their should be 'to an extent' option.

Moderator
#31 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -
ManlyBeast said:
"n1Nj4d00m said:
"ManlyBeast said:
"Nope. Don't believe in religion either."
Do you have an opinion on the diversity of life then?  What is your personal thought on the matter?
"
Nope. Humans always either pick evolution or religion so they can understand why they exist."
Wrong, and this is a common misunderstanding.  Evolution does not explain "why" humans exist.  In fact it has little more to do w/ humans than it does w/ Fruit Flies.  Evolution is not a "human" explanation.  It is A *proven* theory (that has been revised over the years w/ new evidence) explaining a method by which species evolve, and how new species arise.

Of course the majority of americans do not believe in it, because the majority of americans are not educated, and have no knowledge or understanding of logic, and the scientific method.  Most americans think "theories" are things people just "make up" to explain stuff. They do not understand the rigorous examination and testing required to even have a valid hypothesis, nevermind a full blown theory.

Creationism or intelligent design has nothing to do w/ science.  Right wing religious loons bring it up as an "alternative" to evolution.  But ID is as much an alternative to evolution as the tooth fairy is an alternative to Joeseph Stalin.

Evolution has been proven, thousands of times w/ hundreds of thousands of pages of data.  The same people who don't believe in evolution are the ones who found OJ innocent because his gloves seemed tight.  They outright reject logic, facts, data and science.  They are uncomfortable with it, so they reject it and accept things that are nonsense not backed by any facts
#32 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -
Bellum said:
"Given that evolution is objectively true, and we can verify its truth through experimentation and observation, I voted yes. I'm sure there are some places where Darwin was wrong, however, I'm voting for evolution, not everything Darwin ever touched."
Of course not, Darwin was a long time ago.  Scientific thought expands and changes as more, new evidence is gathered.  The theory of relativity has certainly changed a lot over the years.  It's the nature of science and the complexity is why people reject it in favor of fairy tales about giant kingdoms in the sky where everyone is happy.
#33 Edited by Ninjafern (381 posts) -
TooWalrus said:
"

Maybe when I actually see some fossil evidence of missing links, that are not artists renditions, or reconstructions of tiny fragments of bone. (for instance, one of the most important fossil discovery's was Lucy, however, the actual remains that were found are the few pieces of jaw, ribcage, and skullcap, which they found spread out over a square-mile dig site. They put these pieces on a wire frame, in a position they think the creature may have walked, and filled in the massive gaps with plaster to form what they think the creature may have looked like.) These fossils just aren't convincing to me. If we really were changing over millions of years... there really should be more evidence.

"
Every single living creature is a living "link" between it's ancestors and it's descendants.  Every time there is a new birth, whether it be human, animal, plant, fungus, bacteria, etc. there is a new link created.  The idea of there being a single link between humans and their distant ancestors is not  valid.  There are billions of "links"
#34 Posted by DragoonKain1687 (702 posts) -

I do, and its really easy to probe to. Take for example Darwins studies on the Galapagos island regarding their fauna and flora. Despite being just a couple of kilometers away, their fauna and flora vary in many aspects.
Look at us humans, how Africans have darker skins to better endure the heat, europeans have more clear skin to hid them during the snow season from predators. Asians developed smaller bodies to reduce the use of food and not starve.

Im wondering how many of you read the actual Darwin books about diversity and evolution and how many read only the tabloids news like Humans evolve from Apes. So many misinformation going around, in schools, and the so called news media. Darwin never directly said that humans evolved from apes.  But ignorance is the punishment given to us humans.

#35 Posted by bandresen (67 posts) -

I don't think there is a reason why you'd use "believe" in the context of Evolution.

Either you accept the scientific method or you don't.

If you accept it, Evolution is as close to being the truth as you can get in science. (Excluding mathematics, because it's not a naturalistic science.)

If you don't accept it, you can choose all kinds of different other _philosophies_, but be aware that you're not doing science.

#36 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -
TooWalrus said:
"

Maybe when I actually see some fossil evidence of missing links, that are not artists renditions, or reconstructions of tiny fragments of bone. (for instance, one of the most important fossil discovery's was Lucy, however, the actual remains that were found are the few pieces of jaw, ribcage, and skullcap, which they found spread out over a square-mile dig site. They put these pieces on a wire frame, in a position they think the creature may have walked, and filled in the massive gaps with plaster to form what they think the creature may have looked like.) These fossils just aren't convincing to me. If we really were changing over millions of years... there really should be more evidence.

"
While human ancestory is unfortunately not well preserved, how about birds? I think it's pretty hard to say there are many "links" missing in that story, even for the layperson. I think for some people it's easy to forget that the theory applies to every living creature, not just humans. 



#37 Posted by Shinryu (245 posts) -

Nope, dont believe in evolution at all.

#38 Edited by EvilDingo (589 posts) -
TooWalrus said:
"Maybe when I actually see some fossil evidence of missing links, that are not artists renditions, or reconstructions of tiny fragments of bone... "
If you think about it that's actually a pretty tall order considering how fragile flesh and bone is. 
Fossils require specific conditions to be met to be created. One being that the bone has not decomposed before being incased in stone... and thus you can't actually expect to find fossil-evidence of every creature which has ever existed on earth.

edit: apparently I was a bit slow at the keyboard and several people came with similar responses
#39 Edited by BoG (5180 posts) -

It's also Abe Lincoln's birthday. Darwin and Lincoln were born on the same day, same year. Cool, huh?

Anyways, I'm getting my riot stick ready. Religion topics always get ugly. Oh, and I voted Yes.

WilliamRLBaker said:
"I believe in both evolution and intelegent design *creationism*"
I also find this ridiculously funny.
#40 Posted by Aurelito (721 posts) -

I don't believe it about human being but in some contents, it looks more rational but it still has not a good proof and never will have one. Proof this: Cos90°=1. Can you? if you ever could do this, then you will also find a good proof that Humanity is nothing but a simple incident.

#41 Edited by CornishRocker (397 posts) -

     Yes, I do. I think that Darwin was a brilliant scientist, who revolutionised the way in which we look at the world and pioneered our understanding of the world that surrounds us. The theory of evolution and the theory of natural selection have been proven to be true through the examination of cell structure, Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid (if you wanna get into technical terminology) links, fossil records and 'survival of the fittest' evidence. I accept that there are people with religious viewpoints, but if there is a God/are Gods, are they truly omnibenevolent if they created the potential for natural disasters and displays of human hatred to occur?
     Also, being in the UK, I imagine that I have been taught more about the scientific theories than American kids over the past eight years. If you haven't had the opportunity to study the evidence for yourself under the Bush administration, what with him being a religious man, then there will be a limited amount of acceptance of the theories of evolution/natural selection.

#42 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -
CornishRocker said:
"     Yes, I do. I think that Darwin was a brilliant scientist, who revolutionised the way in which we look at the world and pioneered our understanding of the world that surrounds us. The theory of evolution and the theory of natural selection have been proven to be true through the examination of cell structure, Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid (if you wanna get into technical terminology) links, fossil records and 'survival of the fittest' evidence. I accept that there are people with religious viewpoints, but if there is a God/are Gods, are they truly omnibenevolent if they created the potential for natural disasters and displays of human hatred to occur?
     Also, being in the UK, I imagine that I have been taught more about the scientific theories than American kids over the past eight years. If you haven't had the opportunity to study the evidence for yourself under the Bush administration, what with him being a religious man, then there will be a limited amount of acceptance of the theories of evolution/natural selection."
The "Intelligent Design" movement in the U.S. has been extremely damaging to how the public views science.  It has essentially reduced evolution to "just a theory."  In doing so they imply that stands on the same scientific base as "intelligent design."  As I'm sure some, but not most people, know intelligent design is NOT based on science.  It was designed itself to push a Christian agenda under a different name.
#43 Posted by BothBarsOn (100 posts) -

I wish to take back my earlier comment. This hasn't been depressing at all (for the most part). We haven't even had some mouth-breathing cockwit saying, "Evolution is JUST A THEORY". 

My opinion of (most definitely and indisputably evolved) humanity has just gone up a notch, maybe even two.








#44 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -
WilliamRLBaker said:
"I believe in both evolution and intelligent design *creationism*"
This.
#45 Posted by auspiciousqueue (1298 posts) -

Yes, I even took an evolution class in college. Very interesting. 

I find it interesting what people 'think' evolution is, because most of the time they are wrong. 
#46 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I believe in Micro-Evolution. As far as going from one species to another... no.

#47 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

If you do, you're wrong, because even modern scientists don't agree. 
auspiciousqueue said:

"Yes, I even took an evolution class in college. Very interesting. 
I find it interesting what people 'think' evolution is, because most of the time they are wrong. 
"
no, they really aren't.  if they are, they're an idiot
evolution = many, many mutations.  that's really it.  then there's the whole punctuated evolution side dealing with species that can't mate/etc. due to barriers.
#48 Posted by Snail (8574 posts) -

Durr.

(Bring on the negatives!).

#49 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
CornishRocker said:
"     Yes, I do. I think that Darwin was a brilliant scientist, who revolutionised the way in which we look at the world and pioneered our understanding of the world that surrounds us. The theory of evolution and the theory of natural selection have been proven to be true through the examination of cell structure, Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid (if you wanna get into technical terminology) links, fossil records and 'survival of the fittest' evidence. I accept that there are people with religious viewpoints, but if there is a God/are Gods, are they truly omnibenevolent if they created the potential for natural disasters and displays of human hatred to occur?
     Also, being in the UK, I imagine that I have been taught more about the scientific theories than American kids over the past eight years. If you haven't had the opportunity to study the evidence for yourself under the Bush administration, what with him being a religious man, then there will be a limited amount of acceptance of the theories of evolution/natural selection."

say what now?  We remember that colleges in the US basically rape everything, right?
#50 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -
SpikeSpiegel said:
"I believe in Micro-Evolution. As far as going from one species to another... no."
Keep in mind that the word "species" is just a concept created by humans to classify living things.  In the natural world there is no such thing as a species.  Remember that many animals of different species can mate and produce offspring, tigers and lions for example.