#101 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

I think it's possible, but I don't think I've really seen any evidence to prove that there are, so as for right now... no, but I'm skeptical. Shows like Ghost Hunters/international; Ghost Adventures, or even worse, shows like Celebrity ghost stories don't help. Though Ghost Hunters, I kind of respect in ways. Not always what they're doing, but the people on there seem like cool people. I remember going to a house that was (supposedly) haunted, where these Chinese couples lived, and what happened was they accidentally locked themselves in this little closet space, and burnt themselves alive somehow.  

So what they say was there are signs of them when people look in mirrors, or cold spots, and all those other typical ghost stories. At the time, about eight years ago, I'm not sure I believed it either, but it was fun going up stairs where it happened with no one but my best friend's sister. As usual, she was scared ha ha. So no, I don't think I do right now, but there may be a time where I might, and I think the topic is interesting. Never say never. It annoys me when people watch TV shows like Ghost Hunters, and truly believe that all of what's going on, on the screen could be evidence as to whether we know if there's ghost or not. 

Personally, I'd rather not find any ghosts around. Even if they were "good", I'd probably still feel a bit uneasy.

#102 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (726 posts) -
@csoup said:

Yes, I have had my experiences and encounters that no form of skepticism can disprove to me.

#103 Posted by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

No, but like UFOs and the Loch Ness Monster I believe in the idea of them.

#104 Posted by SexualBubblegumX (542 posts) -

I believe in an afterlife, so why not say ghosts exist. Seems only fair.

#105 Posted by phish09 (1110 posts) -

So 30% of you are crazy?  Good to know.  I would have guessed that number to be a bit higher actually.

#106 Posted by LibraryDues (335 posts) -

@Winger said:

Not a close minded person my self either, anything can happen and i've come to terms with that. Some of you people are so fucking boring. Live a little, have an an imagination.

There is only one way for the element of gold to be created, and that is in the fires of a supernova. Every single spec of gold you have ever seen in your life was forged in the death throes of a star so enormous that we cannot even fathom its dimensions, and the explosion that was powerful enough to cause that nuclear fusion was so horrifically powerful that the light just from that event is comparable to the light emitted by an entire galaxy.

Point being, the real world is endlessly more impressive and fascinating than our own imaginations. To be presented with a world this incredible, that just begs for exploration and inquiry to give actual answers to real questions, and to instead ruminate on spook stories and myths....

As a smarter man than me once said, it is as though you were given a beautiful piece of fruit, but then tossed away the flesh to chew thoughtfully on the rind.

#107 Posted by artofwar420 (6311 posts) -

Ghosts are silly things.

#108 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -
@Kinsella: No you need a ghost medic in order to get an uber ghost.
#109 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -
@Omega said:
 I swear there's a ghost that stands in the corner of my living room next to my air conditioner because every time I go in that part of the room I get this cold chill down my spine.   
Could it just be the air conditioner. 

As for the showers and toilets, uhm, people sneaking into your house?
#110 Posted by BeachThunder (12407 posts) -
#111 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -

No, I have logic.

#113 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -
@TooWalrus why you hurt my feelings?
#114 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3024 posts) -

Are ghosts the energy/thoughts/residual forces of once living things? Probably not. But what is out there is more then what we can sense with just our primitive five senses, so I believe there is could something that we call ghosts that our minds interpret the best way we can. Thus what we see when we see ghost is real.

However, I think it is also possible we just don't understand our minds well. Our reality is only what our MIND tells us we sense. For better or worse we are naked apes running on 1.5 million year old software in our heads. Our brains are flexible but that means they are susceptible to errors too. Our minds if set to one task at maxim efficiency trade that power off by be autistic in all other things. So maybe ghosts and other weird phenomena are just our minds sorting through 'code errors'.

#115 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@xobballox said:

Also, my explanation for weird things is like the placebo effect. When there is a creepy place, especially when it is said to you that it is haunted or creepy, then your mind starts thinking that it's true and makes you see things. This has happened to me before when I was a kid. I watched the trailer for Texas Chainsaw Massacre and it scared the living hell out of me and I couldn't sleep as well as I had before seeing it for years. Because of this fear of chainsaw wielding maniacs, I started hearing chainsaw noises outside during the nights - does that mean there are chainsaw wielding maniacs outside in my community every night? No.

I agree completely, there are no such thing as Ghosts; they are about as real as Santa Claus. Why would people want to believe in something that scares them and has a negative impact on your life.

#116 Posted by NickBOTT (473 posts) -

Yes sir 

#117 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

I'm going to err on the side of "I don't know, but if I ever end up buying a house that's built over an Indian burial ground or next to a cemetery, I'm having a Catholic priest exorcise the fuck out of it before I step inside." 

#118 Posted by SamFo (1562 posts) -

Yeah left trigger makes them go faster

#119 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -
@Dylabaloo said: 

I agree completely, there are no such thing as Ghosts; they are about as real as Santa Claus. Why would people want to believe in something that scares them and has a negative impact on your life.

That's exactly why I don't believe in this so-called  "economic crisis"  and this totally bullshit "global warming."
#120 Posted by Bam_D_Leprechaun (795 posts) -

I do, but i think it's more of an echo of a spirit, maybe caught in limo...

#121 Posted by Farmer (328 posts) -

Happy to see the volume of skeptical responses, but 30% is far too high for my liking.

#122 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

I like to believe in ghosts. I love being scared and supernatural stuff, but when it comes down to it i doubt there is a such thing as a ghost.

#123 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

@Dylabaloo said:

That's exactly why I don't believe in this so-called "economic crisis" and this totally bullshit "global warming."

Funny, but the economic crisis and global warming are fact; we can see there effects in our life; we can trace their origins and who started it with facts which have been recorded. Ghosts, like religion, are a decision we make, there is no hard evidence to prove either exist so it is our own choice whether we want to believe in them. Me believing in ghost like I did for many years when I was young made me afraid of my own shadow. So one day I went into the darkest room in my house and closed my eyes and guess what happened, absolutely nothing. Our choices make us who we are so try and make ones that are atleast beneficial to yourself.

#124 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

I'll admit that I've never been much of a skeptic.  As much as I'd like to say, "Why of course not, how silly!  I am a man of reason and science, harrumph!", I'm just not that guy.  I've just always had an overactive imagination and I'll probably always have certain superstitions I hold onto.  

That being said, I think almost the entirety of encounters with the paranormal are absolute bullshit.  I hate those shows of SyFy with morons strapping cameras on their backs and running through "haunted mansions" while the producers knock over tables and make "boooo" sounds.  I can't believe these shows are still on the fucking air.

#125 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@Dylabaloo said:

@BaneFireLord said:

@Dylabaloo said:

That's exactly why I don't believe in this so-called "economic crisis" and this totally bullshit "global warming."

Funny, but the economic crisis and global warming are fact; we can see there effects in our life; we can trace their origins and who started it with facts which have been recorded. Ghosts, like religion, are a decision we make, there is no hard evidence to prove either exist so it is our own choice whether we want to believe in them. Me believing in ghost like I did for many years when I was young made me afraid of my own shadow. So one day I went into the darkest room in my house and closed my eyes and guess what happened, absolutely nothing. Our choices make us who we are so try and make ones that are atleast beneficial to yourself.

You make it sound as though someone can snap their fingers and change what they believe in instantaneously.   It is not that easy to change your preconceived notions of reality.  The question, "Why would people want to believe in something that scares them and has a negative impact on [their] life?", is silly, regardless of the actual merits of the belief.  It's like asking someone suffering from an irrational phobia of popcorn, "Why don't you just stop being so scared of these harmless things?  That would definitely solve your problems."  
#126 Edited by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

Oh Christ, my idiot cousin is posting about his experience with ghosts on facebook.

I...

I need to delete my facebook account. It does nothing but piss me off and make me embarrassed about the people I consider my friends and family.

#127 Posted by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

That ghost hunters TV show with the TAPS guys is totally legit!

#128 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

No. But I like Ghost stories.

#129 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

That ghost hunters TV show with the TAPS guys is totally legit!

That upset me so much when I found out they were faking it. I really thought they were actually doing it right and letting us decide. But I guess they did at first and after a couple of years they were acting like they were installing a washing machine while "mentioning" all the features like an advertisement. Then after that, almost every episode had something happen and it kept getting worse to the point of the show being a complete joke.

Also I believe in necro threads.

#130 Posted by NiKva (128 posts) -

No, I do not believe in them. Demons on the other hand are debatable.

#131 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4881 posts) -

I don't know. I'm hesitant to say I do, but I've also had some freaky shit happen that defied any logical explanation.

Yeah, I'll stick with I don't know.

#132 Edited by 49th (2844 posts) -

Necropost in a ghost thread. Nice.

#133 Edited by buzz_clik (7025 posts) -

Why would you when science exists?

EDIT: Which is not to say I'm unwilling to be proven wrong. But at the moment we've got one line of thinking that's demonstrable as an actual thing to believe in, and one that isn't.

#134 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Do I believe in goats? Yes. Do I believe in ghosts? Yes.

#135 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4881 posts) -

@buzz_clik said:

Why would you when science exists?

EDIT: Which is not to say I'm unwilling to be proven wrong. But at the moment we've got one line of thinking that's demonstrable as an actual thing to believe in, and one that isn't.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Just in case you needed a reminder.

#136 Posted by paulwade1984 (479 posts) -

Nope

And I find it telling that the nature of ghosts seems to be constantly changing with the culture. 200 years ago they were Jacob Marley in "A Christmas Carol" style, rattling chains and bringing warnings from beyond the grave. Then the spiritualist movement sprang up and they started to communicate through seances and rapping on the walls once for yes and twice for no. Cameras advance to the point where double exposures become possible and, coincidentally, only then does spectral photography emerge. Skip ahead to modern times and apparently ghosts now communicate through vague hints to mediums ("I'm getting an 'M,' did anyone here lose someone whose name begins with an 'M'?") or in background static on tape recorders.

My point is that, things that are real, like raccoons, for example, are not constantly changing their basic nature with each new generation. Things in our minds, however, would be completely beholden to popular culture, and their nature could be constantly in that state of flux.

What this guy said.

Also the existence of UFO's has been completely debunked by the declassification of US air force cold war documents where it was revealed that UFO's were faked and stories encouraged in order to conceal secret aircraft testing from the Russians.

#137 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

@jams said:

Also I believe in necro threads.

Me too. Although he is not one of my favorite third strike characters.

#138 Edited by GunstarRed (5448 posts) -

I ain't afraid of no ghost.

#139 Posted by Intro (1212 posts) -

Lol, no.

#140 Posted by buzz_clik (7025 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: Yup, fully aware of that, but you're sweet for worrying about me.

#141 Posted by shermanatorek (114 posts) -

How else would you explain EVP's? Semi-serious question.

#142 Posted by believer258 (12183 posts) -

Ghost thread, coming back to haunt us!

No. I didn't even believe that spirits roamed the land and haunted places when I was attending church and reading my Bible every night, and I definitely don't believe in ghosts now.

#143 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (540 posts) -

Yes. I've had two experiences with ghosts that made me believe.

#144 Posted by dgtlty (168 posts) -

I believe that people believe in ghosts.

#145 Posted by SSully (4319 posts) -

@librarydues said:

Nope

And I find it telling that the nature of ghosts seems to be constantly changing with the culture. 200 years ago they were Jacob Marley in "A Christmas Carol" style, rattling chains and bringing warnings from beyond the grave. Then the spiritualist movement sprang up and they started to communicate through seances and rapping on the walls once for yes and twice for no. Cameras advance to the point where double exposures become possible and, coincidentally, only then does spectral photography emerge. Skip ahead to modern times and apparently ghosts now communicate through vague hints to mediums ("I'm getting an 'M,' did anyone here lose someone whose name begins with an 'M'?") or in background static on tape recorders.

My point is that, things that are real, like raccoons, for example, are not constantly changing their basic nature with each new generation. Things in our minds, however, would be completely beholden to popular culture, and their nature could be constantly in that state of flux.

What this guy said.

Also the existence of UFO's has been completely debunked by the declassification of US air force cold war documents where it was revealed that UFO's were faked and stories encouraged in order to conceal secret aircraft testing from the Russians.

ummm link please?

#146 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I don't really believe in gho-DID YOU GUYS HEAR THAT?!

#147 Edited by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

I don't really believe in gho-DID YOU GUYS HEAR THAT?!

*clunk* What the Hell was that?!

#148 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
#149 Edited by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Nah. The physics that would have to be in play for any component of the ghost idea to work are pure fiction and run contrary to just about everything we're pretty sure we know about how the universe functions. Ghost stories are the domain of hallucination, misunderstanding of a witnessed event (saw something weird - lacked knowledge to explain), and fabrication for entertainment/profit.

#150 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@amomjc said:

Yes, I have had my experiences and encounters that no form of skepticism can disprove to me.