• 102 results
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Commando

*********Edit: Ok apparently I have to tell you that I'm not actually asking you if you believe in miracles. This thread was made to celebrate the anniversary of the most famous hockey match of the 20th century.

"do you believe in miracles" was a famous quote in the hockey match and I thought people would recognize the quote since it was such a historic hockey game. Apparently many people here had no idea what I was talking about, so they just started talking about religion. See the top of page 6 for full explanation.************

-

32 years ago today a bunch of college kids shocked the world by beating the best hockey team in the world in the Winter Olympics.

One year before the olympic games, the Soviet national team had beaten the best players Canada had to offer 6-0 in the Challenge Cup(the NHL was almost entirely made up of Canadians back then).

A few days before the olympics, the Soviets crushed these same American college kids 10-3 in an exhibition match.

The Soviet players were full time athletes who trained year-round and had won 4 consecutive gold medals in previous olympic games.

The American players were full time college students who played collegiate hockey a couple months per year.

It was at a time when the Cold War was near its peak since the Soviet Union was invading Afghanistan.

I wonder if we'll ever see something as amazing as "The Miracle on Ice" ever again.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Hell no.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By BonOrbitz

As impressive as the 1980 US victory was, I don't believe in actual miracles.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TentPole

Yes

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Cloudenvy

I don't.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrKlorox

I believe in Miracle Whip.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

no, also was that a miracle or just good training and good teamwork?

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By landon

Yes

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Dagbiker

Thats not a miracle, a miracle isnt beating someone in a lame ass hocky match.

dbol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dbol

No, I'm too grounded in reality for that kind of nonsense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

" Miracles by they're definition are meaningless, only what can happen does happen."

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By benson

I fed a fish to a pelican at frisco bay, he tried to eat my cellphone, he ran away.

So obviously miracles are real.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aronman789

No, not at all. Things are accomplished by hard work, determination, luck, and chance.

Also, I'm fairly sure any sort of divine being/thing would have more important things to deal with them hockey games.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dagbiker

@zudthespud said:

" Miracles by they're definition are meaningless, only what can happen does happen."

What happened, happened dude.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By deathstriker666

Don't tell me you're a juggalo

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Commando

To put it in perspective, this would be like the University of Nebraska beating Germany's national team in a soccer match.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Animasta

@Commando said:

To put it in perspective, this would be like the University of Nebraska beating Germany's national team in a soccer match.

that doesn't work because americans don't care about football

we mildly care about hockey, on the other hand

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Where ya from? You sexy thing.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By canucks23

No, and there are much more amazing things than winning a hockey game.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dagbiker

@Commando said:

A Miracle is giving birth to a healthy young child, being in a shoot out and not being hit by a bullet, or even falling out of a plane and surviving.

Not some dumb ass country beating some other dumbass countery in some dumb ass games.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By benspyda
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Commando

@canucks23 said:

It wasn't just about the hockey. There was this thing called the "Cold War". It was a pretty big deal.

The USA and the USSR had an arms race, building nuclear warheads and aiming them at each other. Both countries waited for the other one to make the first move, and neither one did. So the only way to settle it was through sports competitions.

The Soviet Union's pride and joy was their hockey team. It was the one sport in which we had no hope of beating them. They put everything into their hockey team to make sure they had the best team in the world.

And we embarrassed them in front of the whole world. It wasn't even our professionals. It was a bunch of kids who played hockey as a hobby while they got their education.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Animasta

@Commando: nothing about the cold war was a miracle, unless you count us not nuking the world as a miracle

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By canucks23

@Commando said:

@canucks23 said:

It wasn't just about the hockey. There was this thing called the "Cold War". It was a pretty big deal.

The USA and the USSR had an arms race, building nuclear warheads and aiming them at each other. Both countries waited for the other one to make the first move, and neither one did. So the only way to settle it was through sports competitions.

The Soviet Union's pride and joy was their hockey team. It was the one sport in which we had no hope of beating them. They put everything into their hockey team to make sure they had the best team in the world.

And we embarrassed them in front of the whole world. It wasn't even our professionals. It was a bunch of kids who played hockey as a hobby while they got their education.

I can't help but feel like this is just another AMURICA! circlejerk thread now.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By InternetDotCom

You are just talking to brick walls trying to get the importance of this game over.

It went in reverse that I'm sure they felt when they beat the USA in basketball (albeit with a ton of help)

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By benson

@Commando said:

@canucks23 said:

So are you saying that this was God's way to show us that capitalism is good and communism is evil?

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Commando

@Animasta said:

@Commando: nothing about the cold war was a miracle, unless you count us not nuking the world as a miracle

What?

I'm guessing you didn't watch the video. "Do you believe in miracles? YES!!!!"

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Commando

@benson: watch the video. It's a pretty famous video...

The game went down in the history books as "The miracle on ice".

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lagaroth

@Commando said:

Because journalists aren't known for sensationalist tendencies.

"Shot Heard Round the World"

"The Greatest Game Ever Played" (American football game)

"The Catch" "The Catch v2" "The Catch v3"

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dagbiker

@Commando said:

Your really over selling the video, it isnt that good.

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By benson

@Commando: I watched it. I saw a sports team winning against another at the last second. While it is nice for them, this kind of stuff happens all the time. What part of it makes you think it was the result of an intervention from supernatural forces?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By ajamafalous

No.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Commando

@benson said:

@Commando: I watched it. I saw a sports team winning against another at the last second. While it is nice for them, this kind of stuff happens all the time. What part of it makes you think it was the result of an intervention from supernatural forces?

It's an expression. When something that is unlikely to happen occurs, people often refer to it as a miracle without implying there was divine intervention.

I am amazed that so many of you haven't heard of the miracle on ice. I'm even more amazed that many of you seem to dislike David vs Goliath stories.

I find sports entertaining, and when an underdog of that caliber is able to pull off an upset, I never forget it and I celebrate it. It shows that even when the odds are against you 99:1 you should continue persevere because that 1% chance is still possible.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ch3burashka

If only you would, then so would I.

@Dagbiker said:

@Commando said:

A Miracle is giving birth to a healthy young child, being in a shoot out and not being hit by a bullet, or even falling out of a plane and surviving.

Not some dumb ass country beating some other dumbass countery in some dumb ass games.

If you had read (and considered) the events surrounding the "dumb ass game", you'd understand that the victory, besides being significant in itself, was a major accomplishment of the US during the Cold War. The Cold War being the Cold War, it couldn't be fought with direct military might, so things like this were basically battles in and of themselves.

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By benson

@Commando said:

@benson said:

It's an expression. When something that is unlikely to happen occurs, people often refer to it as a miracle without implying there was divine intervention.

Sorry but no, the word miracle implies that the outcome of something was modified by forces outside of our comprehension. If that's not what you mean then the word you're looking for is "luck", but I guess it doesn't make for a snappy thread title.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Animasta

@Commando: I knew what you were talking about, it's still not a miracle

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Commando

@benson said:

@Commando said:

@benson said:

Sorry but no, the word miracle implies that the outcome of something was modified by forces outside of our comprehension. If that's not what you mean then the word you're looking for is "luck", but I guess it doesn't make for a snappy thread title.

As I said, it does not always imply divine intervention. There's more than one definition of miracle. Here I took the liberty of looking it up for you. I'll even cross out the definitions that are not relevant to this thread.

This thread was intended to celebrate a true David vs Goliath story.

From dictionary.com

1.aneffectorextraordinaryeventinthephysicalworldthatsurpassesallknownhumanornaturalpowersandisascribedtoasupernaturalcause.

2.suchaneffectoreventmanifestingorconsideredasaworkofGod.

3.awonder;marvel.

4.awonderfulorsurpassingexampleofsomequality

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Commando: Did you ever think about how a christian that supported the soviet regime would view this event? It certainly would not be a miracle for them. Isn't this just politicizing God? (Spoiler: yes)
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Commando

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: What does Christianity have to do with it?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dagbiker

@Commando said:

@benson said:

@Commando said:

@benson said:

As I said, it does not always imply divine intervention. There's more than one definition of miracle. Here I took the liberty of looking it up for you. I'll even cross out the definitions that are not relevant to this thread.

From dictionary.com

1.aneffectorextraordinaryeventinthephysicalworldthatsurpassesallknownhumanornaturalpowersandisascribedtoasupernaturalcause.

3.awonder;marvel.

So are you basically just saying screw Russians. Because us winning would not be a miracle for them.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mandude
@canucks23 said:

I can't help but feel like this is just another AMURICA! circlejerk thread now.

I guess it was always that, only now the veil has been lifted.
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dagbiker
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Commando

@Dagbiker: Yes, that's exactly what I said.

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By benson

@Commando said:

From dictionary.com

3.awonder;marvel.

Yeah but, even if we ignore the fact that those are secondary definitions, the title of your thread is "do you BELIEVE in miracles", implying faith. If your question is "do you think wonderful things happen?" then yeah, there's some cool stuff happening in this world sometimes I guess.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Commando

@Dagbiker said:

Also

RankNationGoldSilverBronzeTotal
1Soviet Union (URS)106622
2East Germany (GDR)97723
3United States (USA)64212

That's what made it a miracle. The fact that they were by far the better team with the better history and the better players, yet somehow we were able to pull of the upset.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlexW00d

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Where ya from? You sexy thing.

You beat me to it you motherfucker.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Commando

@benson said:

@Commando said:

From dictionary.com

3.awonder;marvel.

Yeah but, even if we ignore the fact that those are secondary definitions, the title of your thread is "do you BELIEVE in miracles", implying faith. If your question is "do you think wonderful things happen?" then yeah, there's some cool stuff happening in this world sometimes I guess.

Because the famous line in the video is "Do you believe in miracles". If the announcer said "do you think wonderful things happen?", I would have made that the title :P

I guess people are easily offended.

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NobodyHIFI

@MrKlorox said:

I believe in Miracle Whip.
MrMountie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MrMountie

Some of the people in this thread make me want to kill myself.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Karl_Boss

Great moment but there have been bigger upsets.

Rolen Gardner defeating Alexander Karelin at the 2000 summer Olympics comes to mind.