Do you believe in this whole 2012 theory??

• 100 results
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Run to the hills!  Run for your lii-i-i-fe!

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I can't wait for the Y2K like hysteria when it's about to turn 2012.

The movie trailer is hilarious by the way.  It says "what will we do when the world ends?  Nothing", and then says "find out the truth" as the tagline at the end.  I laughed in the theater.  They are trying to scare people into seeing that movie.

Jotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Jotun

I think it's rather silly that people whole-heartily believe in this bunk.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No, not really. But I wouldn't completely deny it and say it's not a possibility.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Origina1Penguin

As far as I know, all that happens is the Mayan calendar resets.  That's all.

I'll be pissed if I have to go to more than one store just to find a gallon of milk around that time.  You think people stock up before a possible snowstorm, just wait until a possible doomsday enters their minds...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By penguindust

Like most conspiracy or wacko-pseudoscience theories of aliens, time warps and DNA-tracking pennies, I don't believe in any of that silliness, however I enjoy the fable around them.  In other words, I enjoy believing in the idea of them, but not actually in them.  2012 is no different.  Wouldn't it be neat if there was some truth to the prediction?  But, of course, it's all a pile of rubbish...but it'd be cool if it wasn't. 

FloggerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By FloggerD

The human races is a bigger threat to itself than communism, terrorism, and religion combined! Religion is the second most evil invention of man only second to money!

FloggerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By FloggerD
princess13joy said:
THE TIME HAS COME... THE END IS NEAR... REPENT AND ASK THE LORD FOR FORGIVENESS OF YOUR SINS...LOVE THY NEIGHBOR... ... [more]

Good, while your repenting I will be boozing, **** to hard craw prawn and having a good time. You will be freaked out then you will find that nothing will happen. The church 'predicts' the end of the world at least twice a year and this will be no different. When the Israelis went to war on June 5th 1967 everyone in the United States thought it was the end of times and jesus would return on the sixth day of the sixth month of the year 1967. Nothing happened.Who let fear mongers on this site?Religion is more dangerous than Kim Jung Il with his nukes.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#59  Edited By JJWeatherman
Recession said:
hell no but WW3 might go on during 2012think of it depression>radical ideas>ppl starving>WW3
Finally! We can start making world war 3 games already! lol
HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By HiroSeven

Nah, the world is not going to end.

Apparently the mayan calender stops on dec. 21(?) 2012 so the real question: Is that because there is an end of the world prophecy? or has the other part of the calender not been found yet?

Either way, most end of the world theories are jibberish, although I can see there being a war of some sort.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By RsistncE
jakob187 said:
No, and here's why.Common human species as known today are believed to be something around 200,000 years along. Before that, ... [more]
More accurate numbers are actually at around 100,000 years ago. Ironically out of about the ~50 billion species that is thought to have come and gone (or is still in existence) here on earth, the average life expectancy of a species is ~100,000 years keeping in mind that humans aren't even close to being the most successful species in terms of survival.

I believe it was Ernst Mayr who pointed out that this historical record of species on earth has proven that it is better to be stupid than smart as evidenced by humanities inexplicable insistence to destroy itself and much that is around it.

Basically I'm saying 2012, 2013 etc. it doesn't really matter. We're teetering on global collapse, politically, economically and socially. Not to mention we're about to find out what the effects of climate change are really going to be in the next 30-50 years. Personally I give mankind less than 100 years.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Oriental_Jams
RsistncE said:
jakob187 said: No, and here's why.Common human species as known today are believed to be something around 200,000 years along. ... [more]
Well you're optimistic.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By RsistncE
Oriental_Jams said:
RsistncE said: jakob187 said: No, and here's why.Common human species as known today are believed to be something around 200,000 ... [more]
Would you believe I was eating a big ass bowl of Fruit Loops while typing that?
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By super_machine

No, I only believe that the Mayans were very good astronomers.

Avatar image for deactivated-596b8044e5f9a
deactivated-596b8044e5f9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terence McKenna was convinced that humanity would cease to exist in its current form when in December 2012 the passage of time,  as measured in fractal patterns, hits "timewave zero" and goes off the scale completely.

Then again, the guy was also convinced that magic mushrooms were the cause of human evolution. He took a lot of drugs...

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Diamond

I bet there's people that aren't threatened by real threats like swine flu but are afraid of this nonsense.

Shinogomaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Shinogomaru
@Thrawn:  I completely agree.  Now that puppy calendar is something to be worried about
Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Amorfati

No. 2012 is a myth generated by a collaberation between Islamic terrorists and John McCain.

On the date of the so called "apocalypse" the terrorists will finally use the millions of WMDs they've been hiding, causing mass confusion.
Then, while the US is in panic, John McCain will lead a vietnamese army to the Whitehouse and claim rule over the nation.
McCain will proceed to raise taxes slightly and force a marginally more strict policy on drugs.

The horror. Oh, the horror.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By singular

As far as I know the Mayan calendar just starts from the beginning again in 2012. So it's just natural for a bunch of superstitious tribees to think that a new age will begin when that happens. It's just like we would say our year count starts at 0 again after it has hit the 9999 year mark and that will cause a new age. People can be so simple minded.

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By The_Tolman

no because people have been saying the world is going to end since people have been around. guess what the world is still here. common sense people, common sense.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#71  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Y2K did have an impact.  I was in the middle of a dispatch center that started wigging out because of crappy software fixes.  The only reason there wasn't more of an impact is because people had ample time to fix their software...

Kind of weird to compare a computer problem with some random prediction from the apocalypse-of-the-year club.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Nope! Them Ancients just got lazy, I mean, they had to stop somewhere!

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#73  Edited By StarFoxA

That's when Duke Nukem Forever is supposed to come out, right?

I don't believe a word of it.

skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By skywing

nah i don't believe it

but just in case something happens i set an alarm on my cell phone to remind me the morning of the apocalypse
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Illmatic

I can only imagine what went through the head of whoever wrote out their own respective calendar millenias ago if their only reason for stopping was a sore wrist. "It's not like any of us are gonna be alive that long."

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By mike
Diamond said:
I bet there's people that aren't threatened by real threats like swine flu but are afraid of this nonsense. [more]
When did swine flu become a "real threat"? It's just the flu.
gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By gormers

2012 doomsday has some things going for it (compared to other doomsday theories), but no, I dont belive it.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#78  Edited By Cube

No. It won't happen.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By LiquidPrince

No. People thought world was going to end in the year 1000, as well as the year two thousand. If it's going to end, we're not going to know about it.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Diamond
MB said:
Diamond said: I bet there's people that aren't threatened by real threats like swine flu but are afraid of this ... [more]
It's just the public that has dismissed it as a threat.  The flu alone is a threat, but swine flu could still mutate into something worse.

What really bothers me is some day there will be a severe pandemic and people will brush it off.
ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ShadowKiller

It kind of reminds me of Y2K and what went wrong there?

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#82  Edited By chstupid

The world was supposed to end 9 years ago lol

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ahriman22

No, they simply got lazy.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By slinky6

I suggest the name of the thread by changed to "Are you Mentally Challenged?"   2012 theory?   By calling it a theory you would have to answer "yes" in your own thread if it was renamed to what I suggested.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85  Edited By Sprizmo

We aren't immune to asteroids yo. There's a bunch of em out there.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Verdugo
@thegoldencat7 said:
"The Mayan claendar does end in 2012 but that does not mean the end of the world. They didn't believe that, some asshole made it up, this asshole in fact:

No Caption Provided
"

Who is this asshole you speak of?
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Azteck

Yeah well you know what? The calendar in my cellphone ends on the 12th oh December in the year 2099. That must mean that the worlds ends in 2099, right? It's scientifically proven.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#88  Edited By flaminghobo

I'm not really too sure, but the evidence does seem quite lacking. The Mayans themselves have responded to it, saying they are offended that such a theory would arise. They say it is not the end of the world, but a time when the world will change.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Not a chance. When they were creating the calender we use they messed up and we're actually four years ahead of where we think we are. So it's actually 2013 right now and we're still alive.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By The_A_Drain
@HiroSeven said:
"Nah, the world is not going to end. Apparently the mayan calender stops on dec. 21(?) 2012 so the real question: Is that because there is an end of the world prophecy? or has the other part of the calender not been found yet? Either way, most end of the world theories are jibberish, although I can see there being a war of some sort."

No, this is all complete bullshit.

It doesn't just end, it resets, in much the same way the chinese calender resets after X many years, or the turning of a millenium. They never predicted the end of the world, in fact the even was going to be one of celebration for the coming of a new era.

Some asshole American made all this shit up to sell more stupid books.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#91  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i believe that everything's possible and i think that the people who are now acting civilized and calling those theories bullshit, they all shit their pants and turn to god in warm prayer if any of it happens.

im not saying im religious or believe in it, im saying everything is possible in this fucked up world.. we're God's puppets and he does as he pleases. that sick bastard..
so do i believe in it? not really. do i NOT believe in it? i think its possible just like any other goddamn freaky thing. this is all one big fucked up show
Dragonseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Dragonseer
@The_A_Drain said:
"@HiroSeven said:
"Nah, the world is not going to end. Apparently the mayan calender stops on dec. 21(?) 2012 so the real question: Is that because there is an end of the world prophecy? or has the other part of the calender not been found yet? Either way, most end of the world theories are jibberish, although I can see there being a war of some sort."
No, this is all complete bullshit.It doesn't just end, it resets, in much the same way the chinese calender resets after X many years, or the turning of a millenium. They never predicted the end of the world, in fact the even was going to be one of celebration for the coming of a new era.Some asshole American made all this shit up to sell more stupid books. "

You're right in one sense, that they believed it was the coming of a new era.  But the Mayans also believed in a cycle of death and rebirth, or mass destruction tearing down one age before another can begin.  The real question is - are you even going to be alive to see the events of December 2012?

Don't be surprised if before then martial law is declared in America, vaccinations are forced on everyone, and suddenly there is a new draft because World War 3 has broken out, and Nukes are going off everywhere.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#93  Edited By natetodamax

No, because the Mayans sat around all day smoking and coming up with insane ideas.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By GunnBjorn

''No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.'' Matthew 24:36.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#95  Edited By Pie

Somethings gonna go down

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#96  Edited By Wildfire570

I'm not really suckered in by the whole 2012 theory because it sounds like the whole issue of Y2K.
People hiding in their bunkers and slowly counting, 5...4...3...2...1...umm...no explosion...computer is just fine...ALRIGHT! LET'S PARTY!!!

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Recession said:
" hell no but WW3 might go on during 2012think of it depression>radical ideas>ppl starving>WW3 "
how do radical ideas and starving people lead to WW3?
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#98  Edited By grilledcheez

No, I have a healthy helping of intelligence.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By angelkanarias

I hear voices, they say its true.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@MB said:
" When did swine flu become a "real threat"? It's just the flu. "
The problem is humans have almost no natural immunity towards.