Do you believe we all have a purpose on our time on earth?

• 132 results
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Do you believe we all have a special purpose on our time on earth? Are some of us given a path, maybe some of us are given devine talent? We are all different and all special. The purpose, the drive, the motivation beyond just your basic human needs. I mean we are all very different, none of us are exactly the same, so having a diversity might be good to fill out certain jobs in the world your suited for, maybe even put you on a carrer of purpose.

Or is it all bullshit, we are just floating on a rock and we are all trying to make the best of it. The whole purpose thing is just vageries of human perception? There is no devine talent, or purpose. Discuss. 

(also stay on topic, I won't reply to nonsense if I got some concept wrong or something I said gets taken out of my context. Happens once with someone else in every thread I made so I thought I mention that and if you need claification, i'll clairfy what I mean)

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By galiant

Just decomposing meatbags trying to make the best of our time here. I don't believe there's anything else.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Galiant: Kobe bryant's dad was a basketball player, didn't kobe then now have a purpose? Also maybe devine talent in a way? Or donald trump was always meant to be rich, does he have a purpose to be rich? I'm not just saying this to you, but everyone else. What about tiger woods, does he have a special purpose and talent, a purpose to play golf?
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob

I find it ironic that this is being posted on an internet video game forum.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@MysteriousBob: yeah sorry about that, it should of been moved to off topic then. For now I just want to know what ppl thinks.
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By foggel

To reproduce, I guess.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@foggel: that's just a basic human need, most of the population will go though. Just as needing food, shelter, work ect. But i'm talking about beyond the basic need, is there like a purpose filled life? You know how alot of celebrities and famous ppl seems to be driven by some sort of purpose in their life.

I guess your answer is we are just floating on a rock and doing whatever we need to survive.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

Oh, you silly humans and your search for purpose in everything you see. Can't you just accept the randomness that is existence? There's no hidden meaning behind all this bullshit; it's just there.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By foggel

@HitmanAgent47: My answer is that humans will get extinct without reproduction, and as every species' ultimate goal is survival, I believe that is also our, and myself's ultimate purpose.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hä, de' tro ja int.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

So none of you feel like you have any sense of a purpose? Your just here to make a minium wage salary and to earn a degree into something that might not even get you a job? To exist? To be entertained to distract yourself with drugs? You don't see maybe you can make a carrer out of some of your talents. Also there are things you are actually very good at, better than others which may hint at a direction? 

I myself always thought one day I was going to be an artist or something, but that sort of didn't work due to a lack of skill. So I don't know about the term purpose anymore. Seems like in this economy now, we just sort of exist. But aren't some ppl businessmen or business women, others are better as employees at a certain field? Some ppl are actually making videogames, look at cliffy b. he doesn't have talent or a direction? Purpose to make games? All these ppl who makes games for a living has no purpose? They do this for a paycheck when other jobs can probally make more?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bce12b22bc03
deactivated-5bce12b22bc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only purpose we have is a collective one as an entire species: to survive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.  Beyond survival and spreading your genes around as much as possible, there is no "purpose" to life. The "celebrities and famous ppl" you mention aren't driven by a purpose. They're driven by one of two things, or sometimes both. 1. Passion for what they do. 2. The exorbitant sums of money they get paid to do what they do. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HitmanAgent47 said:
So none of you feel like you have any sense of a purpose? Your just here to make a minium wage salary and to earn a degree into something that might not even get you a job? To exist? To be entertained to distract yourself with drugs? You don't see maybe you can make a carrer out of some of your talents. Also there are things you are actually very good at, better than others which may hint at a direction?   I myself always thought one day I was going to be an artist or something, but that sort of didn't work due to a lack of skill. So I don't know about the term purpose anymore. Seems like in this economy now, we just sort of exist. But aren't some ppl businessmen or business women, others are better as employees at a certain field? Some ppl are actually making videogames, look at cliffy b. he doesn't have talent or a direction? Purpose to make games? All these ppl who makes games for a living has no purpose? They do this for a paycheck when other jobs can probally make more?
Being good at something  =/=   "purpose".
OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By OmegaChosen

I believe our purpose, if you want to call it that, is to continue with each generation until we as a species become god like beings and make a purpose for this senseless universe. It just seems too chaotic for my tastes. Hopefully our descendants can make it better rather than letting it fizzle out. Damn entropy...

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By me3639

If its to be a slave for others to benefit, than yes i have found my purpose.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Soapy86: sure, if your good at snowboarding, why not turn a talent into a job carrer. You might like it, sell ski equipment or do that as a professional if you have the talent for it. It might not pay well, but it can still give you direction and purpose. 

Its all just survival, then all of you have a rat race mentality of selfishness and survival being full of uncertainty and you might feel empty at everything you do, going from paycheck to paycheck.
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TobbRobb
@HitmanAgent47: Talk about asuming stuff... The collective purpose of the human race is survival and individual purposes we make for ourselves. If you want to get a good job and live a good life, thats your "purpose". There is nothing divine about it.
PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By PaulRevere

I don't think we have a purpose... I think it's all random. We only look for a purpose because we are the most advanced species on this planet. We think too much about purpose and life when we can never 100% know the correct answer. And it frightens people to think that we have no purpose so they come up with stories to make everyone feel better about existence.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@TobbRobb: did jesus have a purpose, or gandi ect. Most self help books talks about finding a purposefilled life, where you wont feel so empty. Survial is the first stage of human needs, but if you have everything, you might want to contribute to the world, rather than selfishly get your next paycheck. You might donate, you might start new companies to help others have a job too. Can we say bill gates has no purpose, or gabe newell had no purpose, same with miyamoto. These ppl are not surviving paycheck to paycheck, they feel they have a purpose driven life. But then again, I dont believe in purpose either.
DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DrBendo

If you don't want to be misinterpreted, you should probably brush up on your English. You too frequently use words that you do not understand and pretentious constructions that are well beyond your current level. It may lessen the pseudo-intellectual self-indulgence you seem to be going for, but it would increase clarity.

There is no intrinsic purpose. While, in your simple way, you seem to take this as a resignation, it is not. Your false dichotomy is both desperate and transparent. You aren't good at art, so you try your hand at moping wank looking for encouragement or self-aggrandizing faux depth (as is obvious by your replies. 

It is precisely the absence of intrinsic meaning that makes life valuable. Self-determination of priorities and values is far greater than some dictate from on high. People often cling to bullshit like purpose or destiny because they are insecure and want to justify their current state. Deluding yourself into thinking that you're "meant" to be in a given situation absolves your responsibility and can convince you that it's just a stop-gap to your future grandeur. 

It's not often that I hear such ponderous onanism from people of worth; it's probably a coincidence that those who go on about destiny rarely consider themselves destined to mop the broken jar of Ragu from aisle 9.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By blueaniman93

I am an existentialist so I believe that we all make our own purpose in life.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TobbRobb
@HitmanAgent47: What are you even talking about? These people all had a purpose, a purpose to help humanity. I'm just saying that's what they chose as their purpose, because no one is "given" one.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@TobbRobb: but they had a purpose to be on earth, or found a purpose.
Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OppressiveStink

@HitmanAgent47: No. No one on earth was put here to do anything, anything anyone ever got was through either hard work or chance. Let me outline this for you.

You stated Kobe Bryant's father played basketball. Well, many people's parents train their children to do what they did. In fact, long ago, that's how businesses were passed down, from father to son. Hell, in India, they have a caste system to it. But let me tell you one thing, Kobe and Tiger got to be professional athletes because of years and years of training and dedication to their goal. If either of them didn't want it even in the slightest, neither of them would be in the position now.

You spoke about Donald Trump always meant to be rich, but when you're a greedy thief that kicks businesses in the hole for profit, it's easy to keep getting rich. Also he's went bankrupt himself at least one time, so I don't think he had divine providence to be rich. Sources: http://www.marketing-ideas.org/donald-trump-bankruptcy-the-truth-about-trump-and-his-failures-1001 and http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-filed-bankruptcy-times/story?id=13419250

When the cards are down, we're just animals that had enough food and enough room to grow and develop reasoning. Dogs are starting to show deductive reasoning from just being around us for so long, so we're not the only type of animal on this planet to have that particular ability. Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/03/AR2007060300960.html

But, if you can't accept that logic, I don't know what to tell you.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@drbendo: every thread I make, there is always a new extreme personality I have to argue with, another difficult person. I guess you will be this threads extreme personality. That's why I wrote that and I will not be talking with you, dispite you trying to claim you are going to win the argument or some other nonsense. I read your other post in the past, you seem very hostile. I am here to promote a peaceful discussion, don't expect anymore replies, I am not in the mood for it, go claim you won if you have to.
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TobbRobb
@HitmanAgent47: @HitmanAgent47 said:
@TobbRobb: but they had a purpose to be on earth, or found a purpose.
Yes I said they found one? Where are you going with this?
mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mementomori

@drbendo: pwned

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By TehFlan

Yeah, sure.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@OppressiveStink: I am not disagreeing with you. There seems to be some sort of drive right? Whether it's greed, passed down business ect. That drive can be called a purpose, maybe we all can find some sort of purpose. I am just trying to supply the other side of the arguement, I don't believe we have a purpose in life, we can try to find a purpose. I will continue to talk for the other side of the discussion to keep the discussion going, but I don't think we have a real purpose to be here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm starting to think this thread doesn't have a purpose. 

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By theguy

Nope no special purpose. I have goals for life like "try to learn as much about everything as I can" but that's not the same thing. I suppose from a scientific standpoint it would be to survive and pass on my genes but I don't think that's what you meant.

mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mementomori

@HitmanAgent47 said:

@OppressiveStink: I am not disagreeing with you. There seems to be some sort of drive right? Whether it's greed, passed down business ect. That drive can be called a purpose, maybe we all can find some sort of purpose. I am just trying to supply the other side of the arguement, I don't believe we have a purpose in life, we can try to find a purpose. I will continue to talk for the other side of the discussion to keep the discussion going, but I don't think we have a real purpose to be here.

please stop

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Soapy86: you want to know the purpose? I wanted to test the perception of others, to see how ppl thinks socially. Some of my threads are social experiments. So far i'm linking atheism to those who thinks there are no purpose. Maybe I learned the concept from self help books and also religious teachings. But I know saying that might offend some ppl and provoke a nonsense arguement. But yeah, I noticed a lot of religious ppl believe they have a purpose, or were given a purpose. The two threads I made today, i've been thinking about it for months. I have one more thread i'm going to make after a week about whether or not ppl will want to connect to a special type of matrix if it give them all their human needs in a vr environment to test the social cognition of how ppl sees their human needs. All these threads has an underlying msg or purpose. The are all connected somehow.
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TobbRobb
@HitmanAgent47: If you need to fake beliefs to keep a discussion going, is there really a discussion to be had? It seem universally throughout the thread we all agree that there is no divine purpose. So this is a giant waste of time. Ciao
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By OppressiveStink

@HitmanAgent47: You could argue greed is the only thing driving all of those things. Greed for money, greed for power, greed for adoration. Everything living greeds. Trees greed for more sun and water, cows greed for more corn and grass, dogs greed for more kibble and attention, humans greed for more... well... everything.

That greed is what keeps everything from just petering out. Survival instinct, probably.

mementomori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mementomori

Substitute "religious" for "ignorant" and you're right. (stereotyping)

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Evilsbane

I just thank my lucky stars I was born in the Information age, I know I wouldn't have known better but I think computers are the best damn things we've ever made next to medical advances.

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DrBendo
@HitmanAgent47

The "I'm not going to talk to you" approach is best served without @reply. That said, there's nothing extreme about my position at all. As others in the thread have, I took a stance against intrinsic purpose. Either you can have the discussion, or you cannot; so far, you are absolutely opposed to any genuine discussion. You have your position, and you refuse to listen long enough to understand anyone else's. Through hackneyed apologetic bullshit, you insist you're correct any everyone else is wrong because some twat can throw a ball in a hoop. You commit fallacy after fallacy and pathetically assert that anyone who doesn't think the way you do is a mindless drone with, as you so clumsily put it, a "rat race metality".

Oh, to some day shed this burdensome anchor of logic and intelligence that keeps me mired in reality; to rise up and be such a unique individual like Hitman; to have but a moment in the luxurious realm of delusional masturbation, where the air is crisp and denial reigns... to reach such heights would break our bonds of conformist paradigms and enlighten us all to live as... well...  insipid wankers who watch too much daytime TV.
You beat me to this Valhalla, dear Hitman, and for that I'll be ever envious down here in the real world.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@OppressiveStink: well if it's all greed, how do you explain ppl who donates? I belive there are these basic human needs according to tony robbins. Certainty, uncertainty, importance and connection. After you meet all these basic needs, there is growth and contribution, which jesus and gandi did, contribute because they already were rich in their own human needs. I think that's why no one can see a purpose because they weren't brought up religious and they can't meet their own basic human needs of certainty, or getting a constant paycheck. They still are stuck on the basic human needs and that overides their purpose. 

Sometimes ppl changes carrers a few times before they finally find their calling, their purpose in life. It's not about the next paycheck, but doing something that motivates you, that drives you. Take it for whatever meaning you want.
huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By huntad
@HitmanAgent47: Everyone has a purpose. But it's not a "set in stone" type of deal. Do what you feel is your purpose. If you think you have a lack of skill in art, then you need to work at it. Art is subjective, so it's not really a big deal if your art doesn't look as great as some other great artist. By the sound of your conversations in here, it seems that you do believe that you have a purpose, so you should just continue trying to fulfill it. If nothing else, it gives you something to strive for (than just living paycheck to paycheck with no sense of satisfaction).  

Some people try to live without one, and usually depend on some sort of entertainment, but when it all falls apart and you're alone it's great to be proud that you've accomplished or are working on what you really want to do. This isn't a great place to discuss this kind of thing though, cause a lot of people here are atheists or whatever. Most people associate purpose with religious or spiritual affiliation, but it can be self-set like how you wanna do it too. 

But, yeah, just because you've always liked art, doesn't mean it has to come naturally to you and you don't have to practice. Some just have to work harder than others. 
SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SomeJerk

Bin Ladin had a purpose. Dubya ran his purpose. Matt Rorie knows his purpose. Everybody have a purpose.

This thread though? Nah.

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aeterna

@HitmanAgent47 said:

The very moment I read "purpose" or "special" I simply sigh at the existence of religion and humanity's supposed need for it.

This is clearly not the kind of website to discuss these things.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@huntad: Good point, maybe I have to find another instructor or something. Maybe I wasn't well trained. I made a thread, asking what you are a pro, noob, trained noob to adress maybe we can't do everything in the world and it's not our purpose. Yes I once believed I was going to turn into a great artist, everyone in my highschool thought I was going to be an artist one day. I feel I dissapointed everyone and myself. The professinal field has a grading system, only those who can get 90% or over can get a job. That means all mistakes are correct, it's not subjective, rather it's a business. But I once believed I had a purpose, but then i'm sort of conflicted about a purpose and lack of skill. Don't say I never tried. I'm reading all the best cartooning books on the market now, but it's not helping. I can't do cartoons at all, no matter how hard I try. Then again maybe some comic book artist can't draw cartoons either, vice versa. Maybe I just need to find a focus, I sort of feel a bit let down by my noobiness and it's not getting better for cartooning no matter how hard I tried. I tried not to do something that has nothing to do with art too, but it keeps calling me back and I just keep failing and failing at it.

It's weird, my other family members, grandpa, dad, even sibling is great at drawing. Better than me at certain skills, but I never felt I had any of the talent. They did, it was easy to them, if you are a noob, hard work is just going to make you a trained noob. I wonder if the whole concept of purpose is bullshit or not. I sort of believe now that it is and agree with everyone here. I'm very conflicted over this concept.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By delta_ass

Life is like a box of chocolates, Forrest. You never know what you're gonna get.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HitmanAgent47
dont feel bad about not turning into a professional artist.  maybe its just fate and youre going to go on to doing something that would make you much more happier than you wouldve been as an artist?  who knows, you might do something important for the art world.  youre still young (im assuming) and you still have a lot of time to be the best person that you can be.  dont worry about it, use it as motivation
phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By phrosnite

Most people simply exist; few life... No purpose.

OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By OppressiveStink

@HitmanAgent47:

Donation is a greed for self-adoration or self-satisfaction or social standing, these things are important to humans too, being social animals. I'm not going to comment on Jesus because any proof of his existence and activities is a poorly amalgamated story of prior religious icons(IE: Horus) and anecdotal evidence. Ghandi did what he did for social standing and power and he took advantage of it too in terms of racism, religious proselytizing, and general perverted behavior (possibly a pedo): http://forum.stirpes.net/asia/24752-sex-antics-mohandas-gandhi-his-failures-pedophilia-adultery-incest-sexual-perversi.html (first post cites sources).

True apathy wouldn't allow you to live paycheck to paycheck. You'd sit around on someone else's dollar. Something made you get up and at least get that paycheck and it's most likely the innate sense of "want" every living creature has.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I believe there is no human smart enough to answer this question. Same with the question of the existence of god. No one is smart enough to know.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

No.