• 58 results
#1 Posted by mercutio123 (468 posts) -

Just in general? As someone who lives in London I can't really escape it as every day I'm having it forced down my throat, and I only care about a very small number of events. Though I do care about the event in general and like the break from traditional sports coverage in favour of less publicised sports. Do you care about it or do you think it's a waste?

#2 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Yeah I like watching them.

#3 Posted by 71Ranchero (2719 posts) -

I care about it because its important for the world to have the Olympics but most of the sports are not very interesting to me.

#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Not at all. I don't even care about any sport that exists.

#5 Edited by Deathmachine117 (377 posts) -

I dont really follow sports but when its on and I have nothing else to do I will watch them take place. Its kind of hard to miss any coverage of them.

#6 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

@CL60 said:

This exactly

#7 Posted by C0V3RT (1377 posts) -

I've always enjoyed the Olympics. Some of the shit that qualifies as an Olympic sport is ridiculous (I'm looking at you race walking) but I'll take the good with the bad. I like the winter Olympics quite a bit more though.

#8 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

If Serbian athletes are in it, then yes. Otherwise, fuck no.

#9 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

Nah.

Though I will say that the Olympic Park has some 'interesting' structural design on display. Oh, and the Westfield Shopping Centre is pretty good.

#10 Posted by YI_Orange (1141 posts) -

@CL60 said:

This. Except maybe Starcraft. I know, some people have issues calling competitive video games sports, get over it.

#11 Edited by superpow (226 posts) -

The olympics are pretty awesome. I don't care much for professional sports but I make an exception to the olympics. It's great to see the world come together. I guess I care more about its internationalism than its actual sporting events. Also I'm not really patriotic but it's kinda nice to see a Canadian get gold.

#12 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2684 posts) -

They can be interesting occasionally, but other than the rare Michael Phelps moment, they seem pretty bland.

The Winter Olympics at least have some interesting events.

#13 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Yep. Love any sport.

#14 Posted by Cheesebob (1235 posts) -

100 Metre sprint FTW

#15 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (418 posts) -

I don't really feel a connection to any of the teams but I do enjoy watching or just having the events on the tv as I go about my day.

#16 Posted by MEATBALL (3155 posts) -

Love international basketball, that's about it.

#17 Posted by SneakyDuder (26 posts) -

I like the Olympics (summer and winter).

#18 Posted by mercutio123 (468 posts) -

@superpow: What do Canadians excel in apart from rowing? I don't know anything about their sporting achievements apart from in said sport.

#19 Posted by NTM (7319 posts) -

I don't think it's a waste at all, but I don't really care for it. I mean, maybe the beginning of it I'll watch, but after that, I stop caring.

#20 Posted by forkboy (1127 posts) -

I hate the Olympics, think it will be a massive waste of money at a time when the British economy heads on down the shitter. Ludicrous. And the special exemptions that the Olympics officials get are farcical, like a special lane on roads dedicated only for them, not even emergency services can use them. And local business is not allowed to profit from the games, you can only buy food from sponsors. Absurd.

And yet I'll probably still watch the road cycling to see if Cav can win gold, as well as watching the wrestling & judo in case anyone goes over to MMA as has happened in the past. Oh, & I'd be totally psyched if they could get Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in as an Olympic sport, or general submission grappling. That'd be really awesome. I guess hoping for amateur MMA at the Olympics is a bit optimistic but with the Olympics in Brazil in 4 years it would have been a perfect chance for BJJ

#21 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10821 posts) -

No.

#22 Posted by SuperSambo (2858 posts) -

Yes.

I don't really see what is not to like.

#23 Posted by gamefreak9 (2356 posts) -

@Cheesebob said:

100 Metre sprint FTW

this and 200 and 400, 800 meters, the mile too sometimes. I also like weight lifting and I will be watching to see if Phelps breaks records again.

#24 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Haha, no

#25 Posted by Grillbar (1807 posts) -

dont give a shit about it but i dont think its stupid, i just have the so many tv stations where i live think they all need to cover the same damn thing at the same time and i have my fellow countrymen going nuts when we win something and treating them as gods, we rarely win anything

#26 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Yes, the Olympics is important. But i don't really enjoy alot of the sports but i can watch American athletes. Michael Phelps is the pride of the USA!

#27 Posted by pyromagnestir (4283 posts) -

No. I like professional team sports like baseball and football, but don't care about the stuff they have at the Olympics.

#28 Edited by freakin9 (1109 posts) -

I can't remember ever not being into them, even when I didn't actually watch or play sports. It's goddamned national pride at stake, what's not to dig. And no I'm not from the US so I'm not in a place where I'm taking medals for granted, getting a bunch of silver and bronzes and hoping for at least SOME gold is where my country is at.

#29 Posted by Capum15 (4852 posts) -

I think the idea is neat, but I don't care much about it. Don't care much about any sport, really.

#30 Posted by DrX25 (1512 posts) -
#31 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

The only thing that I like about the Olympics is the world coming together, though I do think that far too much money is spent on 2 weeks of sport. I find most of the sports in the Summer Olympics pretty boring and when its the same people winning all the time, that takes away from any excitement for me too, I like to cheer for the underdog. I prefer watching the sports in the Winter Olympics.  

#32 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

Yes and no. They're great for those who enjoy them but they have been expensive for the United Kingdom to have at this moment in time. The huge advertising scale is what annoys me, though. Everything now has a "Made in Britain" tag slapped on it, to remind everyone of its glorious Britishness. We really do not need to ram our country's heritage down the throats of everyone for an event held once every four years. The whole advertisement of Britain feels really cheesy and tacked on. I'm not going to bash the games themselves since I don't have the same interest in sports as most people and therefore will not hold the same interest in just how cool they will be. Obviously the people who like them will feel they are better than someone like me, who can take it or leave it. I wouldn't be losing sleep over losing the Olympics, if we did.

#33 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6294 posts) -

Couldn't give a fuck if I tried. Sports aren't my thing (FROM A GUY ON A VIDEO GAME WEBSITE, GO FIGURE).

#34 Posted by Robo (790 posts) -

I'll watch and kind of care for the short time it's happening but when it's over I'll be right back to not caring at all about any of it.

#35 Posted by BonOrbitz (2182 posts) -

Nope, not interested.

#36 Edited by mosespippy (4101 posts) -

@mercutio123: When I was a kid we were pretty decent at track and field and swimming but that's all Phelps and Bolt at this point. We've always had decent Volleyball and Beach Volleyball teams and I think we have great mountain bike and triathlon athletes. Syncronized swimming, diving, tennis, equestrian, gymnastics and trampoline are other sports we've recently excelled at.

I haven't watched the summer olympics since 2004 and I find most of the summer sports boring. I love the winter olympics though. Last winter olympics I watched pretty much the entire time it was on since I was unemployed at the time and every event was webcast without commentators (which is the best way to watch sports).

#37 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

Totally. I think it's cool to see people who are really damn good at a thing get some recognition for it. Gymnastics in particular is fun to watch.

I also think that too much money is spent on it, though.

#38 Posted by dagas (2791 posts) -

I prefer the Winter Olymics. Sweden does better than in the Summer Olympics and the sports are more fun.

#39 Posted by CheapPoison (727 posts) -

Not one bit.

#40 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

Not a bit. Seems like a waste of time.

#41 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

NOPE.

#42 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@forkboy said:

I hate the Olympics, think it will be a massive waste of money at a time when the British economy heads on down the shitter. Ludicrous. And the special exemptions that the Olympics officials get are farcical, like a special lane on roads dedicated only for them, not even emergency services can use them. And local business is not allowed to profit from the games, you can only buy food from sponsors. Absurd.

that sounds fucked up

#43 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Sure, I enjoy watching them.

#44 Edited by bassman2112 (824 posts) -

I was an Olympic qualified athlete some years ago

I didn't go, though. They ask you to do way too much and I simply wasn't willing to commit that much of my life to something I wasn't sure that I wanted to do. I think the way it's run is extremely good for the athletes that want to go somewhere with it, but for people like me who just did sports (speed skating in my case) on the side of everything else, they really ask for you to throw down completely for the year(s) leading up.

So I like the Olympics, but I also don't. I like attending them, I've been to 3 (Salt Lake, Torino & Vancouver) and there is no experience like them in the world. If you haven't been to the Olympics, you HAVE to experience it before knocking it or praising it, because being there is much, much different than just watching on TV. I don't like how pushy the organizers are to the athletes, though; but that is a very specific complaint to my situation, haha.

Experience the Olympics if you can, it's an incredible atmosphere.

#45 Posted by TobbRobb (4587 posts) -

Could not give less of a shit. Will end up watching some of it with my dad though. But that's for him.

#46 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Nope.

#47 Posted by forkboy (1127 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@forkboy said:

that sounds fucked up

You find similar ridiculous rules for other big international sporting events, like the World Cup. Pretty sure FIFA demands tax free on all revenues made directly related to the World Cup in the host nation. Shit like that is absurd & it's just appalling that governments are willing to give into them like that. But yeah, the particular ban on anyone including emergency services using these lanes on roads is just repugnant.

And on top of it all, I'm not really sure how an empty sports stadium helps regenerate a down-trodden area either.

#48 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4689 posts) -

No.

#49 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

I enjoy watching them!

#50 Posted by Aetheldod (3542 posts) -

No ... I dont like the hypocrisy of the whole deal , if they really care for the world´s unity there wouldn´t be an economic jerk off extravaganza for the organizations/corporations.