Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3440 posts) 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: Do you change your car's oil or do you have someone else do it? (49 votes)

Yes 47%
No 53%

I'm completely car illiterate and maybe for just the driving part I know nothing about cars. For me I usually just bring it to the shop and let other people who know what they are doing do what they do. Over the past year due to money constraints I've become more conscious of how I spend my money, so I thought I'd start doing things myself. Like a "Rorie" I decided to change my oil on my own and I gotta say while its no means easy (for me anyways) I felt accomplished when I got it done and saved some extra cash on the side.

#1 Posted by SgtSphynx (1404 posts) -

That is not a yes or no question, but to answer you, it depends on how lazy I am feeling. I work on cars for a living, and as such do oil changes quite often on other peoples vehicles, sometimes I don't want to go under my car to do the oil change and will take it to work to get it done. Other times I will do it myself.

#2 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2323 posts) -

I go to a place

#3 Edited by Marcsman (3209 posts) -

I go to my mechanic.

#4 Posted by Killroycantkill (1408 posts) -

I've been told that my insurance won't let me change it by myself and I have to take it to a mechanic. If it wasn't for that, I'd just do it myself.

#5 Edited by ChrisTaran (1621 posts) -

Is it yes that I change my own oil or yes that I have someone else do it? Not a well worded set of options. I picked 'no' though.

#6 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

My dad does all my vehicle maintenance for me. I just never think of it and he's a car guy so he remembers for me and does it. He has this habit of just doing it and then telling me about it a few days later. I appreciate it, but at the same time I wish he would just tell me it's that time again and showed me how to do it myself. It's better to learn this stuff since he's not always going to be there to do it.

#7 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3440 posts) -

@sgtsphynx: haha whoops, mind totally flipped when writing this. I guess Yes = Take it to a shop No = Do it yourself.

#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9714 posts) -

Fuck that! Someone else does it. Just because one can do a thing doesn't mean one wants to do a thing. Changing oil is a fucking hassle. Fuck that shit.

#9 Posted by mikey87144 (1781 posts) -

I have free maintenance with my car so I might as well take advantage of it.

#10 Posted by JJOR64 (19001 posts) -

I have someone else do it. I know pretty much nothing about cars.

#11 Edited by gaminghooligan (1448 posts) -

I change my own oil. It's a good thing to learn if you have the time, and it'll save you a little money. That being said I used to drive a car that was a real bitch to change the oil on, so I took it to a shop.

#12 Posted by Gruebacca (521 posts) -

I don't own my own car yet, but my parents make me change theirs.

#13 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I'm not voting cus its a horribly worded poll.

Hell i'm not even going to tell you either out of spite!

#14 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

I know how to do it, but I don't have enough confidence in my mechanic skills. So, I usually have my dad do it...

#15 Posted by DemiGodRaven (270 posts) -

half and half.

#16 Edited by Ben_H (3366 posts) -

My dad is in the automotive business so I can get all that stuff done at cost or free so I just switch vehicles with him for the day and he gets it done.

Edit: Also, maintenance is a pain on my car (It has a rather complex engine) so we always get this mechanic my dad knows who specializes in European cars to do it for us. He isn't cheap but he is very very good. He found a coolant leak within 5 minutes of looking at my car (and it was pretty well hidden too) and had it fixed within an hour and did a bunch of other stuff at the same time.

#17 Edited by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Not sure how to vote.

#18 Edited by Nightriff (5096 posts) -

Where we live they get pissed if you do it on their property so I have to take it to Jiffy Lube

#19 Edited by Bolgirk (23 posts) -

Do it myself, and most any car maintenance that does not require super specialized equipment. I bought a pair of break pads for my car when I got it, and due to the lifetime guarantee on them have never had to pay for break pads again (same with the rotors when I replaced them last).

#20 Edited by ottoman673 (521 posts) -

No. 4 quarts and a filter here costs about the same as it would just taking it to a quick lube shop.

#21 Edited by Teoball (608 posts) -

I do it myself. I drive a 25 year old car that is really easy to work on so I do almost everything myself.

also I work at a gas station so I have all the equipment I need.

#22 Posted by FirebirdINF (275 posts) -

someone else.

#23 Posted by SeanCoughing (269 posts) -

I work at an auto shop with a lift so I do it myself, super cheap that way.