• 79 results
#1 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

The title really says it all. I ask this because of that whole "clique" thing. It seems to be continuously becoming more of a musical thing. I don't hang around anyone really that likes my kind of music alot. Also, have you ever ended a friendship based on someone getting into a new style of music? I kinda did this once, but only because he kept trying to force the music on me.

How about you?

#2 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -

I'd probably end up killing most of my friends if I did.

#3 Posted by Zombie (201 posts) -

Not really. Most of my friend like rap/hip hop like I do anyways.

#4 Posted by Hannibal (862 posts) -

It depends. My best friend is a fan of country and I hate country. But if someone said they loved Paramore...

*shakes fist*

#5 Edited by Meresin (147 posts) -

I choose my friends based on their ability to form a coherent sentence. Most people fail.

#6 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Meresin said:
"I choose my friends based on their ability to form a coherent sentence. Most people fail."
...you and I are one in the same, my good chum.
#7 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -
Hannibal said:
"It depends. My best friend is a fan of country and I hate country. But if someone said they loved Paramore...

*shakes fist*"
They won't get out of my head. It's not a willing enjoyment. And certainly atypical of what I'd normally listen to.
#8 Posted by AlexB (1023 posts) -

Nope. I hate most of my friends music, but we do share some of the same likings. Some have even turned me onto bands.

#9 Posted by GDub (104 posts) -

ya right i listen to old school and ubderground hip hop that they never heard of and alot of them listen to that shit on the radio

#10 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

No, not at all. my group is pretty diverse musically.

Got some dudes who like metal, some like progressive stuff, I like alternative, heck, one dude even has hannah montana on his iPod XD

#11 Edited by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I am a man who listens to a lot of really old stuff primarily surrounded by people who like Screamo. I kinda severed my contact with them, though. They were all boozed-up druggies with closed minds.

#12 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

Nope.If i did I wouldnt have many friends

#13 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

No, most of my friends listen to reggeaton and all that crap. I love my friends, but we're extremely different, maybe that's what keeps the friendship interesting

#14 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -
This picture frighteningly depicts me.
#15 Posted by normajean777 (450 posts) -

nope most of my friends all like different types of music but the universaly cat stand my music

#16 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
sidescroller said:
"I have a lot of friends, but I don't know how to quit relationships I feel are idiots, here was a convorsation

Him: You know what tomorrow is?
Me: No?
Him: IT''S 420 DAWG
Me: My god, not that dumb shit, why the hell are you going to go smoke pot anyway?
Him: Because everyone else is doing it.

Yea, the PSA's were right."
What!?! 420?????
#17 Posted by VyyyE (20 posts) -

No, I don't base friends around musical interests. On the other hand, if I someone does like similar music too me the odds of us 'bonding' are of course higher. I am a music fanatic, if anything.

#18 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -
Jayge said:
"I'd probably end up killing most of my friends if I did."
#19 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
sidescroller said:
"420, April Twentieth, 420 is the police code for marijuana use, so popular culture has made it "Get totally baked day"

You hear it a lot in high school..."
Oh. Sorry, I don't talk to douchebags like your friends, no offense to you.
#20 Posted by Subway (971 posts) -

Most people I know don't even know most of the bands I listen to, so no.

#21 Posted by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -

Iv never meet a person in real life the listens to the music i listen to so its lucky i don't chose friends based on that.
Though i cant help but feel most of my friends are idiots...

#22 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Black_Raven said:
"Iv never meet a person in real life the listens to the music i listen to so its lucky i don't chose friends based on that.
Though i cant help but feel most of my friends are idiots..."
Heeeeeeey, we have something in common!
#23 Posted by Adam_West (50 posts) -

why would i "CHOOSE" my friends like that..............

#24 Posted by mandeponium (275 posts) -

Only if I found out they listened to Nickelback.

#25 Posted by Adam_West (50 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"sidescroller said:
"I have a lot of friends, but I don't know how to quit relationships I feel are idiots, here was a convorsation

Him: You know what tomorrow is?
Me: No?
Him: IT''S 420 DAWG
Me: My god, not that dumb shit, why the hell are you going to go smoke pot anyway?
Him: Because everyone else is doing it.

Yea, the PSA's were right."
What!?! 420?????"
when???!?!?!!!!!
#26 Posted by Hannibal (862 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"sidescroller said:
"420, April Twentieth, 420 is the police code for marijuana use, so popular culture has made it "Get totally baked day"

Oh. Sorry, I don't talk to douchebags like your friends, no offense to you."
420 is NOT the code for marijuana use. It comes from some teenagers in northern california that use to go smoke weed at 4:20 at a statue of Alexander Fleming, so the High School just started saying "4:20 at Fleming" to mean smoke weed.

Oh there's nothing wrong with weed. But that's a conversation for another topic
#27 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -

Not at all i'm a metal guy one of my friends is a techno guy another is pop etc.

#28 Posted by SonicBomb (686 posts) -

No.

#29 Posted by VyyyE (20 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"sidescroller said:

Oh. Sorry, I don't talk to douchebags like your friends, no offense to you."
By reading them two quotes alone you seem to be the douche?
#30 Posted by Just_Insane (1080 posts) -

I hate when people have their head up their own ass about music. I mean everyone has different tastes in music and I don't really want to hear about people CONSTANTLY talking about how they hate certain stuff....get over it....those people are annoying

#31 Posted by aemaeth (220 posts) -

No.

But everyone on the border of my social circle are people who judge based on musical taste and dress style.
People never fucking grow up.

#32 Posted by blue74 (169 posts) -

nope choose my friends based on  personality

#33 Posted by 100 (526 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Black_Raven said:
"Iv never meet a person in real life the listens to the music i listen to so its lucky i don't chose friends based on that.
Though i cant help but feel most of my friends are idiots..."
Heeeeeeey, we have something in common!"
Same here. A lot of my friends are total idiots.
#34 Posted by ItalyCanadian9 (1673 posts) -

Nope. They are who they are.

#35 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
#36 Posted by reflekshun (210 posts) -

If I happen to share a love for certain music that others also do, they often win points for it, cos I love sharing good music with other people. If there are people who passionately hate certain music styles it bothers me. I dont like hating. There are styles of music that bother me, but if you like those styles thats not going to stop you being my friend at all!

Music tastes can show a person's ideals and filters on reality, but its only part of the picture. Haha thats my conclusion!

#37 Posted by Oblivian92 (167 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:

I say it a lot in middle school lol. JK I can't afford pot  :(
#38 Posted by triple7 (117 posts) -

No......for some reason I have a very diverse group of friends. Couple black guys who only listen to rap, a dude who looks and dresses like biff from back to the future( listens to rockabilly) , I'm a country guy. So ..........no not really.

#39 Edited by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

I have a lot of friends that has a different taste in music, but I do find myself having an easier time becoming friends with people who enjoy the same music.

#40 Posted by Schizoid (1064 posts) -

Nope, I don't really like my friends music tastes but I wouldn't respect them any less for it. They don't like my music either so it goes both ways.

#41 Posted by WSGRandomPerson (144 posts) -

No. I pick my friends for them. I could really care less what they listen to.

#42 Posted by Oedipus (72 posts) -

There is good psychological evidence that comes from the University of Texas at Austin that there is a significant correlation between music taste and personality type. Thus, it's quite likely that you choose your friends based on similar personality types and that correlates with what music you listen to. It's a very useful tool for judging people.

#43 Posted by DavidPalmer (343 posts) -

No not at all, but seeing as how kids that end up being friends are usually alike in a lot of ways, many of my friends have similar tastes to me. However, there are a few of my good friends that aren't like me at all when it comes to music. Kids that like techno, hardcore rock, etc..I seem to be more mellow than them.

#44 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

From reading the title of this thread, the idea of anyone who would choose friends based on their musical preferences is very stupid... In my opinion.

#45 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -

You guys may think I'm an absolute cunt now, but be glad this isn't a music forum. I try and put my friends taste in music out of mind. I have 2 that have fantastic taste though.

#46 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

No, that would make for some boring conversation. At the same time, I don't enjoy self righteous music fans either. You know the type, ones who wallow in the fact they know of some obscure band/artist/album/music genre. Ok, I get it, you spent a week on music message boards and discovered an album that changed your life. Can I eat my sandwich now?

#47 Posted by Bulldog19892 (1795 posts) -

No. Mainly because I'm not an asshole who judges people by their favorite band.

#48 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1733 posts) -

If I did, I wouldn't have any friends.

Actually, instead I just get really drunk and pretend that I like my friends' music. Goddamn techno!

#49 Posted by Xeros606 (545 posts) -

sorta, whenever i make a new friend, its usually because of music tastes, but if one of my friends started listening to rap (one of my friends did) i wouldnt think of them any different.

#50 Posted by Nude_Dude (1076 posts) -

If I was, I would have no friends. :(

Nobody listents to Zelda and VG tunes