• 68 results
Bram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Bram

I run the school mafia! At the moment im running a huge project of trying to smuggle chewing gum into school. I also offer the losers of school a protection service. 10 quid a week and they wont get picked on. If they say no, they go swimming with the fishy's in the school pond.

me.
me.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By BiggerBomb
Shadow2K6 said:
"whackmypinata said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Jolly_Lolly said:
"Just curious how smart the people of giantbomb are. I myself am an average student who never goes the extra mile for anything. I almost got kicked out of school last year for fighting, but so far Im not doing too bad.

How about you guys?"

Sorry, I had to point this out. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone compares grades with intelligence. Being good at math, or science does not make someone intelligent. There is much more to it than that."
Grades can correspond with intelligence based that if you're smart, you'll want a good future."

Some people really can't help it. 

Me for example.  When I was in high school I would get Bs, but mostly Cs and Ds.  Guidance didn't understand it since I mostly got As on my tests.  Then they made me go get diagnosed in 11th grade.  Turns out I have ADD to a chronic level.  It was also the fact I wasn't being "challenged enough".  For example I was mostly in on-level classes in high school.  In my senior year they threw me in a CP Class and got a A.  Yeah not much of a achievement but going from a C in on-level to a A in CP is.   So just because someone is smart doesn't mean they will get good grades.  Sometimes you don't apply yourself if the material is too easy.

As far as kids who do get As in high school and who do average on SATs and ACTs.  They're overachievers simple as that.  They're not smart.  I think its pretty sad my GPA was 2.7 in high school yet I scored higher on the SATs and ACTs then most people in AP classes.

Now as far as grades go now (in college).  I have a 3.7 GPA .  I'm basically one of those people who didn't really try in high school and went to college and got amazing grades."

Or if it just doesn't interest you.

<---This guy's case.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also have ADD.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Milkman
RetroIce4 said:
"Way Below Average. Like a C to C+ student... *Sigh* I did bad in gradeschool too."
Yeah, same. If I really applied myself, I could get As. I'm actually doing much better this year, having most Bs in all of my classes, except Spanish...God, I hate Spanish. 
Bram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Bram
Milkman said:
"RetroIce4 said:
"Way Below Average. Like a C to C+ student... *Sigh* I did bad in gradeschool too."
Yeah, same. If I really applied myself, I could get As. I'm actually doing much better this year, having most Bs in all of my classes, except Spanish...God, I hate Spanish. "

Not as much as i hate French lessons :P
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

BiggerBomb said:
"Or if it just doesn't interest you.

<---This guy's case.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also have ADD."

Everyone and their dog has ADD, it seems.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By BiggerBomb
Bellum said:
"BiggerBomb said:

<---This guy's case.

Everyone and their dog has ADD, it seems."

You're right, but usually it isn't legitimate ADD.
Bram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Bram
Bellum said:
"BiggerBomb said:

<---This guy's case.

Everyone and their dog has ADD, it seems."

My dog has.
My dog has.
Truth you speak biggerbomb
theshadow027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58  Edited By theshadow027

Well last year I won an award for a 95+ average in all subjects but this year I'm not doing as well but I'm still in the A range.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By AaronBelfast

B+ is my average. I suck at Science thlough, usually gets Ds.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By lazyturtle
krazychris said:
Anyone got any tips for getting into some sort of study routine or anything?"

So I just finished college with a 3.0 in a science degree. My GPA was brought down by the fact that I'm not the best math student ,but fortunately I excelled at most other classes. I had 2 kids while attending school, which made it crazy hard to get work done, but I busted my ass and got it done.

So here's my advice:

1. Read the damn books. Yes they're boring. Yes they are often not relevant to the class. Yes 99% of what's in them (at least for most of my classes) will not appear on any test. So why read? It gives you a broad understanding of the subject. You'll pick up small facts and general concepts. Then use that information to formulate questions during lectures and ask them (if permissible). This helps on 2 levels: the teacher thinks you are smart because you ask good questions that reflect your understanding of the material and you may get a little bonus or class participation grade. At the very least you'll walk out of the class with a better understanding of the material.

2. Do ALL the homework. Do every assignment and ALL extra credit. It's always worth it. Even if you learn nothing from the HW, it'll give you practice for test time. I had quite a few classes where HW problems appeared on tests. It most of my courses HW counted for between 10-25% of the final grade. That's a huge amount. Since most of us don't get 100% of every exam it's going to make the difference between finishing with an A, B or C (or worse). 

3. Go to all the classes. Don't skip, just being there you learn SOMETHING. Also don't get high or drunk before class (wait until class is over for that). All the propaganda shit aside it does affect your ability to learn.

4. Find someone else who took the class from the same prof and ask about how he/she tests. That will help you study.

5. Find a good group (even if it's only 1 or 2 other folks) and spend 1-2 hours once or twice the week before an exam reviewing all your work. I did this for several classes and those of us that met in group scored between 5-20% better than the rest of the class. 

6. Spend time reviewing immediately before or after a class. Even if it's only 10 mins..make review time. It'll help in the long run.

Grades do NOT reflect your intelligence. They reflect your dedication. Most people are smart enough to get As if they put the effort in. Some people are smart enought to get all As without trying, but they are few and far between (or they're taking really easy classes). It may seem boring at the time, but:

When finishing high school good grades will get you free $ for school. As a student who finished with $30,000 in debt I wish I'd done better in high school. Going in with this apply for every grant, scholarship and internship you can. Do an internship in the field you want to study during the time between when you finish HS and start college. This will help you decide if the career choice is right for you. When you get to college, make MOST of your courses in the first 2 years the general education requirements for your school. Sooo many people waste lots of time and $ taking courses and then changing majors.

Good grades when finishing college will get your foot in the door at your first jobs. If you have any desire to work for the government (at least in the USA) having a 3.0 or higher will get you a higher pay grade (so more job options and better pay). It will also make it easier to get into a grad/doc program if that’s what you want to do. Once you have some experience in your field, grades are way less important. Hope this all helped.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61  Edited By whackmypinata
lazyturtle said:
"krazychris said:

So I just finished college with a 3.0 in a science degree. My GPA was brought down by the fact that I'm not the best math student ,but fortunately I excelled at most other classes. I had 2 kids while attending school, which made it crazy hard to get work done, but I busted my ass and got it done.

So here's my advice:

1. Read the damn books. Yes they're boring. Yes they are often not relevant to the class. Yes 99% of what's in them (at least for most of my classes) will not appear on any test. So why read? It gives you a broad understanding of the subject. You'll pick up small facts and general concepts. Then use that information to formulate questions during lectures and ask them (if permissible). This helps on 2 levels: the teacher thinks you are smart because you ask good questions that reflect your understanding of the material and you may get a little bonus or class participation grade. At the very least you'll walk out of the class with a better understanding of the material.

2. Do ALL the homework. Do every assignment and ALL extra credit. It's always worth it. Even if you learn nothing from the HW, it'll give you practice for test time. I had quite a few classes where HW problems appeared on tests. It most of my courses HW counted for between 10-25% of the final grade. That's a huge amount. Since most of us don't get 100% of every exam it's going to make the difference between finishing with an A, B or C (or worse). 

3. Go to all the classes. Don't skip, just being there you learn SOMETHING. Also don't get high or drunk before class (wait until class is over for that). All the propaganda shit aside it does affect your ability to learn.

4. Find someone else who took the class from the same prof and ask about how he/she tests. That will help you study.

5. Find a good group (even if it's only 1 or 2 other folks) and spend 1-2 hours once or twice the week before an exam reviewing all your work. I did this for several classes and those of us that met in group scored between 5-20% better than the rest of the class. 

6. Spend time reviewing immediately before or after a class. Even if it's only 10 mins..make review time. It'll help in the long run.

Grades do NOT reflect your intelligence. They reflect your dedication. Most people are smart enough to get As if they put the effort in. Some people are smart enought to get all As without trying, but they are few and far between (or they're taking really easy classes). It may seem boring at the time, but:

When finishing high school good grades will get you free $ for school. As a student who finished with $30,000 in debt I wish I'd done better in high school. Going in with this apply for every grant, scholarship and internship you can. Do an internship in the field you want to study during the time between when you finish HS and start college. This will help you decide if the career choice is right for you. When you get to college, make MOST of your courses in the first 2 years the general education requirements for your school. Sooo many people waste lots of time and $ taking courses and then changing majors.

Good grades when finishing college will get your foot in the door at your first jobs. If you have any desire to work for the government (at least in the USA) having a 3.0 or higher will get you a higher pay grade (so more job options and better pay). It will also make it easier to get into a grad/doc program if that’s what you want to do. Once you have some experience in your field, grades are way less important. Hope this all helped.

"
Good write up, thanks for that.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By TheJollyRajah
lazyturtle said:
"krazychris said:

So here's my advice:

"
Awesome guide, man. Another thing I want to add- it's never too late to start. Some of you may think, "Oh, I already have enough bad grades... I'll never catch up... maybe I have ADD or something."

Don't do that to yourself! With that mentality, you'll never earn decent grades. Remember, it's never too late to start.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#63  Edited By lazyturtle

That is right on. Though it's easier to start out right because at the begining of the semester you have the most drive, the best attitude and the easiest work of the class. Still...in most classes you can always recover. And if all else fails...pray for everyone else to screw up too. In my Calc 1 class the prof said that he under no circumstances would curve the class. Then after 2 exams where the highest grade was 65% he changed his mind. He decided that we couldn't be THAT stupid and that he must have been making the tests too hard. He curved the class.

But like TheJollyRajah..try and stay away from excuses. Look yourself in the mirror and say 'I'm good enough, smart enough and goshdarnit people LIKE me!'. Then get to work.
Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64  Edited By Yit

As and Bs. It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

That movie is brilliant.

Anna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Anna

very good

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66  Edited By super_machine

I was. Graduated college with a 3.9gpa

krazychris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By krazychris
lazyturtle said:
"krazychris said:

So here's my advice:

"

Although not all of this will apply to me because I'm from the UK it's still some solid advice and I'll definetly spend some time reviewing what we done after class thanks.
tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By tokyochicken

I'm an average student really, I'm not even close to the honour roll. Although someone threw up the idea that grades don't always mean everything, I mean a lot of the people I meet who do really well in classes are really naive in general.