• 124 results
Edited 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: Do you drink water straight from the tap? (463 votes)

Yes 72%
No 28%

I visited some relatives earlier today and found it odd they drink water straight from the tap. I live in the Pacific Northwest so water here is usually a whole lot cleaner in other major cities. Even still I always had made it a habit to filter my water before actually consuming it. I have to ask if I am alone in this matter or are other people comfortable with drinking their water straight from the faucet.

#1 Posted by mlarrabee (3060 posts) -

If I lived in the city I definitely wouldn't; I trust the Water Department but I trust myself more.

Currently, I live rurally and the neighborhood well offers up great water.

As for the other, unintended meaning of "straight from the tap," I never put my mouth beneath the faucet. Gimme a cup, I ain't no savage.

#2 Edited by MonetaryDread (2175 posts) -

Yup. I live in an area where the water we get is so clean that you can see the bottom of the lake 50ft below the surface. Since this is a wealthier resort town, this near perfect water is then treated for any impurities in a $100,000,000 treatment facility. One of the perks to living in Canada where, in case you didn't know, we have a major percentage of the worlds fresh drinking water, and such a small population that most of it goes untouched by corporate chemicals or overpopulation. That is, unless you live along the border like people in Toronto or Vancouver.

#3 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I just fill a plastic jug with water and stick it in the fridge. I drink several litres (about 1.5-2) a day and I'm not dead yet.

I don't jam my mouth around the tap however, that's just silly.

edit: oh, North East England, if it matters.

#4 Posted by skooks (85 posts) -

From the tap, always. Filtered water actually tastes weird to me now.

#5 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2107 posts) -

Depends on how hungover I am ha ha. But seriously, I'll do it if I have no other option.

#6 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

yup, sometimes I drink right from the sink itself, when I'm thirsty I'm thirsty.

#7 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (888 posts) -

Always boil your water.

Trust no one.

#8 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

It's groundwater so yes why not

#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

Nah. Only the bathroom sink is in a position to reach and I do "drink" from the tap in there but it's only to wash my mouth out when I brush my teeth and I never swallow it.

#10 Posted by MOAB (426 posts) -

my tap tastes kinda weird. i've been drinking spring water since i was a kid.

#11 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1649 posts) -

Of course I do. I ain't no bitch.

#12 Edited by benpicko (2005 posts) -

Why wouldn't I? I'm not dead yet and I've encountered nobody else who has died drinking tap water so what's the problem?

#13 Posted by BoFooQ (752 posts) -

I will but I don't when ever possible.

#14 Posted by Rorie (2987 posts) -
Staff
#15 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

Been doing it for 20+ years in many different cities and many different countries and am still alive and healthy.

Why would I stop now?

#16 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Yep.

#17 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1482 posts) -

I put my mouth directly up to the faucet before when there were no glasses available. Also i live outside of the city and the water is pretty ok, so i don't hesitate drinking a glass.

#18 Posted by CaLe (4052 posts) -

E'ry day.

#19 Posted by Zacagawea (1613 posts) -

I drink bottled water. It's how I like to live my life.

#20 Edited by kaos_cracker (706 posts) -

I use the fridge, I get scared using any other water from my house, and I don't know why, I'm sure it is all fine.

#21 Posted by chilibean_3 (1694 posts) -

Right now yeah. But I've lived in towns where I filtered it.

#22 Edited by SomeJerk (3389 posts) -

If the tap water doesn't dry my mouth out, slime up my throat, give me a bad after taste, set my stomach up, give me the shits, dim my vision and affect my balance, then I'm going to drink that tap water.

I'm using an active carbon water filter jug for the water going to my apartment. I'm not in a war-torn African village, I'm in Sweden, an apartment block built in the 1960s.

#23 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

I drink bottled water. It's how I like to live my life.

You know a vast majority of bottled water brands (including the big ones) are litterally the states tap water in which they were bottled right? Often times bottled water fails the same tests tap water HAS to pass. So bottled water isn't any better, in fact it can be worse since less safety regulations are put on them.

#24 Posted by PenguinDust (12627 posts) -

You know, I answered "no" but that's because I thought the question was asking if I drank straight from the tap.

But, yeah in the middle of the night if I am thirsty I drink some water from the bathroom tap.

#25 Edited by papercut (3553 posts) -

My tap water got fluoride in it son. Tap water all DAY!

#26 Posted by AckbarTheGreat (419 posts) -

Do I look like someone who wants to be mind controlled?!

#27 Posted by 49th (2844 posts) -

Yeah, water is perfectly fine here.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (1175 posts) -

I'm from Scotland so I just walk outside look at the sky and open my mouth

#29 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

My fridge has one of them there fancy water dispenser things. My tap water tastes really heavy so I just use that. It also means I drink more water because, when it's the middle of the night and I'm half asleep, I don't need to open the fridge and be blinded to get a drink, I can just use the dispenser.

#30 Posted by Philantrophy (354 posts) -

I think the tap water in Norway tastes amazing, when I on vacation in other countries I usually try out different brands of bottled water to find the one I enjoy the most.

#31 Posted by Droop (1916 posts) -

Danish tap water is super awesome. So yeah I drink tap water all the time.

#32 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1203 posts) -

No. I don't want cancer.

#34 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2403 posts) -

I do, but my roommate refuses to drink from the tap. It kinda pissed me off at first but now I don't care.

#35 Posted by super2j (1790 posts) -

I said no but honestly it probably would be better if I did. As I understand it, the 18gallons we get for the water cooler in our homes comes from essentially tap like water from small towns in more northern parts of Ontario. This means that their water is probably not as well processed as ours here in the capital. So It would be better for me to drink from the tap but 20 years of only gargling the tap water makes it impossible to drink it. My body just refuses it.

#37 Posted by Nightriff (5335 posts) -

Used to but not in years

#39 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2107 posts) -
#40 Posted by GreigWatt (55 posts) -

I come Scotland where water orginally came from. I KNOW its safe.

#41 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

I do now (Portland), but when I lived in Vegas I did not.

That shit was foul, yo

#42 Posted by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

Sydney tapwater is pretty awesome and has different flavours based on region

#43 Posted by Zeik (2757 posts) -

All the time. Sometimes I even prefer it.

#44 Edited by Whitestripes09 (436 posts) -

Sometimes. The tap at the house I live in has a strange taste it that I don't usually taste in other places I visit. Kinda earthy and coppery... Which is strange because I live in a more rural area which is where some of you say the tap water tastes better. I mostly drink water from bottles now.

#45 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3245 posts) -

Yeah, our town water is pretty good.

#46 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5985 posts) -

My tap water looks like diluted milk sometimes. So, no.

#47 Posted by BombcastGoldthwait (250 posts) -

I'm from NJ/NY Metro area, where you need to cut the water with a knife and fork, so I never drink from the tap.

#48 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Sure, but only when out of spring water. I don't like the taste of filtered water at all, bottle or tap.

#49 Posted by Korwin (3026 posts) -

OP's relative must be a communist.

#50 Edited by gaminghooligan (1479 posts) -

I live in an area with some foul tasting water so no. I use a filter pitcher usually or buy bottled water.