Do you drink water straight from the tap?

• 159 results
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Poll Do you drink water straight from the tap? (777 votes)

Yes 73%
No 27%

I visited some relatives earlier today and found it odd they drink water straight from the tap. I live in the Pacific Northwest so water here is usually a whole lot cleaner in other major cities. Even still I always had made it a habit to filter my water before actually consuming it. I have to ask if I am alone in this matter or are other people comfortable with drinking their water straight from the faucet.

• 
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#101  Edited By grilledcheez

I filter it in a pitcher now. Before that, I was drinking bottled water, but got sick of disposing of all the bottles and am trying to lower my environmental impact.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The city I live in is right on Lake Superior, which many people say has the cleanest, best tasting water in the US. I find myself agreeing. It's so good. So so good. So good that it's jarring when I visit somewhere, I forget that I can't always drink from the tap.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By rflx

I've never even heard of filtered tapwater. (Unless you mean the little filter that's on the end of all faucets)

Tapwater here in Scandinavia is cleaner than in other parts, apparently?

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ever since a few years ago when we got a new refrigerator that has a filter for the water and ice dispensers I don't drink straight from the tap. All before that I would though, Lake Michigan water is pretty good.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

The water in my home leaves a red ring in my toilet, so I feel justified in only drinking it from my Brita pitcher.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Boston water and the surrounding areas' water is pretty sketch to drink straight from the tap. Went up to Maine for a while and the difference was crazy.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The tap water is alright where I live now. I'll drink it from the tap from time to time, like if I'm just taking my allergy medicine or something like that, but I prefer to filter it.

At my parent's house, the water comes from a well on their property, and they have a water softener, which makes the tap water there rather salty which is unpleasant. I do not drink that unfiltered, but they have a reverse-osmosis filter that runs to a separate tap by the kitchen sink for readily accessible drinking water.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I drink tap water. But I do live in Scotland.

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There is a natural stream that runs under my property that supplies the water. It is always crystal clear and tastes great. I have no problems drinking it from the tap. I had it tested by my state and they said there were no problems with it.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By sumbog

My tap water is all pretty fresh glacier water, tastes fine, and is for sure safe. The only time I refused to drink tap water was when I was in Florida, whenever I showered my towels would get a rusty film on them from the water... So I felt justified in not drinking it.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, all the time.
We pump our own groundwater.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By ShockD

No, I only drink bottled water.

dizzmotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I am the only person that answered no to that question simply because the water is too hot coming out of the tap and not because of any filtration needs. The water here is pretty much the same temperature for the cold and hot settings. I always keep a pitcher of water in my fridge just to keep it cold.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#114  Edited By Nezza

In my part of the world it is absolutely pointless to buy bottled water as what comes out of the tap is pretty much the same as what I'd get from a bottle. Admittedly that doesn't stop people from buying it in droves, but hey - people are susceptible to advertising.

However, I've travelled to many parts of the world where the tap water was unsafe to drink and so I've had the occasional bottle; but generally I used bottle with a purification filter named a Travel Tap meaning I could just refill from any tap I wanted. That saved me a lot of money and effort in going to buy drinking water when I was travelling.

Amusingly Coca-Cola was forced into an embarrassing retreat from the UK when they tried to introduce Dasani and the news came out that it was pretty much tap water - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3809539.stm. I saw this brand all over Asia and the States when I visited, and it never failed to make me laugh.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Nope! We got some shitty tap water here. You can get a 35 pack of water for under $4 at Wal-mart. Thats like .11 cents a bottle.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Sanity

Not very often, ours has that chlorine taste to it, i should try and get a filter some day.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Samael2138

Seeing as how the town I currently live in spent all their money on the high school football team, and haven't updated the water system in decades, HELL NO!!! They had to send out a mailer showing how they haven't tested the water for Asbestos, or microbial agents, since 2008. One of the pipes is broken at the substation by my house, and has just been spewing water all over the ground for about 3 months now. Ironically, I live in Texas and we are in the middle of a drought. One would assume they(the city), would be conserving water, seeing as how they ordered everyone to ration water, and won't allow people to water their lawns. The football team won the state championship this year, though, so who cares about having clean water to drink, right?

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By oldenglishc

I have a filter in my refrigerator, so I use that. Milk, on the other hand, I only drink straight from the tap.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#119  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@oldenglishc said:

I have a filter in my refrigerator, so I use that. Milk, on the other hand, I only drink straight from the tap.

Wait milk, what!? At least use a bottle for christ sakes.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I live in the southwest and the groundwater is basically poison.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, tap water is generally good where I live (Norway).

Zoeytrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seattle tap water is pretty good. I lived on a military base outside a tiny town in west-central Texas for a year and the water was so bad it would literally give you kidney stones within a few months if you didn't filter it.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Errr, where else would I get my water?

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

When there is no other option, then yes.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah I don't care, I doubt its worse for you than any of the other stuff I put in my mouth. I live in Tucson Arizona.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

I've only lived in one town that had horrible tap water so we had to use those big things of water. Thankfully I live in a city with good water and two clean sources of water. Straight from the tap baby!

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also in the PNW, and Seattle has very clean water, so I do it plenty. I usually only like, guzzle from the thing itself after a workout, and then I at least use my hand as a cup to drink from (easier to get at and I feel like less of a retard than trying to guide the water in with my tongue or something).

It's worth pointing out that drinking nothing but perfectly pure water probably isn't great for giving your immune system a workout. If disaster occurs and you have no choice but to rely on water that hasn't been perfectly filtered and bottled, what you gunna do when you're sick for 4 days and get eaten by cannibals?! Me on the other hand, I can handle a few impurities and I'll be in a state to trade your life for mine, instead of shivering and mumbling to myself in the corner of a bed.

Fistoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I'll drink tap whenever I can, New York has some pretty great tap water.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in SF so the tap water here is really good and crisp.

Darkaileron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Untreated tap water? gross! not in 25 years.

swthompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put the tap water in a pitcher and put the pitcher in the fridge. Tastes perfect every time.

terryfloat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in a big city, so bought a reverse osmosis system for water. I think that the water from the mains supply is not clean enough.

constantk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I answered yes, but I have a whole-house filter and a water softener. So it's definitely conditioned, but still "from the tap." I've been told the water in my town comes from a deep aquifer and is quite clean, though also relatively dense in minerals (hence the softener).

For those curious, in America most water supplies are required to provide water quality reports annually to the EPA. You can also do a quick google search for an easy guide to understanding the contents of the report.

peffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I filter and boil my tap water before drinking it. And I only like hot water, so the boiled water gets put in a hot water pot that constantly reboils it.

LyndBako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes but I usually put it in a glass first

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a wanted faucet licker.

Leviathan_Dive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

edoone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it depends on where you live and where is the water coming from. Also in some countries or states potable water has to past some test before passing to human consumption ones better than others etc etc...

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

For many years now, I've gone to the store and purchased the water I drink. I stopped drinking water from the tap because of too many solids in them. It's a inconvenience having to go out and buy more water once it runs out days later, but it gives me peace of mind. Its amazing how easier water is to drink when its not filled with microscopic stuff you eyes can't see. Some of the bottled water also have solids depending on the type, with distill not having any solids. But the bottle water that does have solids is not nearly as bad as it is from the tap.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

If I would have made this it would have been locked 😄

Yes I do, it's easy and doesn't require a cup.

burritocreases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo Water out the hose is its own flavor

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, but only at my home. My water system has a bunch of built-in filters (that need changing every year or so) so I'm not concerned about anything bad being in there.

I don't drink from the tap at work unless it gets boiled or filtered first as I don't really trust it.

AmberDavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By AmberDavey

Yup.

When I was little, if you were playing outside and got thirsty, go find a hose.As an adult, if the faucet has enough clearance I’ll drink straight from the tap. Whenever I do so at my folks’ place my mother compares me to a dog or a cat.

ninkendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never

I'll use it for boiling noodles and that's about it, otherwise my fridge is stocked with gallons of water at all times

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I have clean water at home so no need to waste money and resources on water. I hate the artificial aromas they add too.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I have no idea if I commented in this thread 8 years ago or not.

We had no water or filter or anything as a kid so I thought it was perfectly normal to fill up your cup with water from the kitchen sink and drink all of that down. As a teenager, we got a fridge that had a water filter in it and everyone started using that. Now that's all we use and I don't think I've had a glass of water from the kitchen sink in a decade and a half or so.