Do you ever get nostalgic over bits and bytes?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you ever get nostalgic over bits and bytes? (27 votes)

Yes. 52%
No. 22%
Only if they hold special significance for me. 15%
See the results. 11%

I've been buying old game consoles and accessories for about six months now. Whenever I bought a memory card, I always debated whether or not I would erase the data on it. A few days ago I just went through and cleaned up all of my PS1 and PS2 cards.

Well, I just bought another PS2 memory card, and I don't know if I want to erase little Billy's The Sims 2 save. I'm starting to wish I hadn't erased the Tony Hawk Underground custom tracks that were named for the kids that made them. It's irrational, I know, but still...

• 
Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Never erased any data. I keep my memory cards and if need some space I buy new one. I couldn't live without saves from games I will probably never play again ( at least on the same system).

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2 FinalDasa  Moderator

I have loaded up some old memory cards and seen old saves of FF8 that I'd rather keep around than erase and start anew. It would be interesting to see what teenager me focused on during such a hardcore Japanese RPG.

And older games I almost never think of deleted. Link To The Past and FF2 (or 4 depending on who you talk to) both have saves from my brother when he first bought and played those games. Something about playing in his footsteps, or just seeing that those saves exist still, keeps me connected to him even though he's gone a lot.

I wish a lot of my old PC games were still around because I would be fascinated to see what my families in The Sims would be. Some strange mix of what my family was like at the time and whoever I happened to have a crush on that week in school.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I remember organizing anime clips onto a floppy disk, making sure I could fit as much as possible, and the godsend burnable CDs were. Then all of the sudden things blew up with gigabytes and terabytes and now I don't worry about ol bytes and kilobytes.

That the sort of stuff you mean?

Man, those old clips were the best. Slayers, Akira, Ranma 1/2, some other shit I can't remember the name of but will always remember the clips for. Little me watched em over and over.

I actually still have them! Well, some of them.

3 Akira clips - 1.11MB

4 Ranma clips - 2.00MB

10 Slayers clips - 6.62MB

1 Gunsmith Cats clip - 492KB

Pretty sure I had some more Gunsmith Cats ones. I distinctly remember a guy falling on a lady and she shoots him and the bullets come out his back like a welt before bursting into blood and such. There was also some other anime where some lady shouts out "Get readddyyyyyy--get read to diee!!" and the main hero was a lady with a cool black and white getup and some sweet visor armor. I always thought Aria was somewhere in the name, but never found it searching for that.

I had my nice little box of floppy disks that were all colour coded and labelled and I'd just put in disks and watch the clips on it and then swap to another. It was the coolest thing ever.

Besides that there was managing my old hardrive (thing had like 400MB storage space). Going through all my picture folders and finding the biggest pictures to delete and free up some space so I could put more pictures of fit a Word file to do my homework. Shit like that.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

Not really, but I do still have my PS1 and PS2 memory cards with saves still intact.

So that means I still have everything unlocked in Tekken 3 still. That's probably the only type of saves I actually care about- fighting games I 100%'d- because that's a pain in the ass to do, but by the time you do it no one really wants to play anymore so they sit on your memory card unused for the rest of your life.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have all of my old saves somewhere. Never got rid of any saves or anything from past generations. The only time I deleted any saves was to make room for new ones. At last count I think I had 3 or 4 PS1 memory cards, and probably 4 or 5 PS2 cards. I never filled up the memory cards on my N64 or gamecube but I still have them. I've got a random assortment of old PC saves, but I'm not sure what they are because I haven't played most of those games in over a decade.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By white

The most impactful games are the ones that you play during your Golden Age. That happens to be when you're around 12-14

For me, that happened during the PS1 era. Which left me wanting sequels in the style and design of games then (Xenogears, FF7, FF9, Azure Dreams, etc.). I still go back and replay them on my PSP or on a PS1 emulator from time to time; more often than not I restart because it's very difficult to pick up saves that are 30 hours into it.