• 101 results
#1 Posted by JuggertrainUK (200 posts) -

So with all of these games, movies and tv shows about zombies, I'm sure at one point or another we have all thought about what we would and where we would go if there was a zombie outbreak.

But do you guys feel slightly more confident about your survival skills if this shit really were to happen?

#2 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

Hell no, I would die almost immediately, guaranteed.

#3 Posted by IAmNotBatman (627 posts) -

I'm weak and can't think of a place within 10 miles that could have a gun so, no?

#4 Edited by Jasta (2217 posts) -

The Walking Dead has taught me more than enough on how to handle a Zombie apocalypse situation.

#5 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

No, and neither are most of the people who think they are. If i were to consider myself ready, I'd need a huge amount of cash and a year of everyday exercise.

#6 Posted by pyromagnestir (4239 posts) -

No, although I think I might be morally flexible enough that I think I'd be able to do some dirty shit in the name of survival. Also I'd love to be wrong about that.

#7 Posted by efman (208 posts) -

Not, uh, yet. Haha. Ultimately, who ever wins, we lose.

#8 Posted by Witzig (326 posts) -

Me and my neighbor own several ex-military rifles and hunting shotguns/rifles so I'm set.

#9 Posted by Village_Guy (2491 posts) -

Nope. I mean I think I would have an idea how to handle the zombies, but I lack some of the survival skills to make it, and I think I really should excercise some more first to at least get into a fighting shape (if you know the zombie apocalypse is happening - please to warn me).

Besides I lack the weaponry and I don't think I could find more than a few hunting rifles anywhere close to where I live.

#10 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

I think I have a little more idea what I'd do in a situation like that, but let's be realistic, for as much as it's become part of nerd culture to talk about all this "zombie survival" stuff, watching all of Walking Dead and putting in all those hours on Left 4 Dead does not make you a zombie fighter. Personally I think I'd die fairly fast.

#11 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4928 posts) -

We'll see.

#12 Edited by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Yep, being Montanan, you kinda have to learn how to shoot as a right of passage here. Also the fact that I am tough as hell and am able to use an axe to split a piece of wood easily, I believe a skull would be easier to go through.

Montanans are a very tight knit community and could easily sustain itself under distress very easily. Also our winters are cold as fuck so we have been trained to deal with that as well.

People who say they lack survival skills make me laugh. Got a knife? Got an axe? Got a kitchen knife? Then you can kill a zombie in one hit, if you can't then you must be one slow lazy week duder.

Edit: I am serious, if you can't take down a zombie then get to Montana and camp out a bit during winter. You will know how to survive anything after that.

#13 Posted by Ghost_of_Perdition (735 posts) -

Well, I have been practicing respawning.

#14 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Honestly, I am in pretty great shape, my Dad took me Shotgun hunting from when I was like 12-18, I can run so long without stopping. I think I would do alright.

#15 Edited by efman (208 posts) -

What is the best possible thing to do in the case of a zombie outbreak, though? At some point we run out of bullets. Is commerce still in operation? Whatever thing that comes to mind is more of a stop-gap measure, coming back to the lifeblood necessity of ration, which share the same locations as the zombies, so it's not as if we can dissapear off the surface of the earth, settling for a subterranean existence, even though that sounds plausible. Though, food does come from underground, so there's that. Would we be digging ourselves down if this were to happen alá Locust?

#16 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Beyond the mere shock of it happening, I'm sure I could get a few down with me.

Hell, why run?
Hole up with other survivors, bicker about stupid shit or be abused because some dudes think they can get away with it at the end of the world?

I'll go down swinging, thank you very much.

#17 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

No one is even slightly trained for something like that. You an prepare all you won't, but if it ever happens, our minds are going to be all sorts of fucked up.

#18 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

Probably not, but I can tell you that I would avoid heavily populated areas, and I know a few people with guns so that's where I would go. I might die, but I think I have a shot at survival. It also depends on if you truly mean "zombies" or "infected". If you are talking about 28 Days/Weeks Later style infected then no, I am totally fucked. No question. If you are speaking of Night of The Living Dead style zombies, then I have a shot to be sure. If it also matters that I am in good shape, then I have that too.

#19 Posted by N7 (3573 posts) -
#20 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

28 Days Later 'infected' are just 10x more fierce than any of the shit in The Walking Dead. You have to be really dumb to get killed by the slow zombies, which most people in these films and TV shows are.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -

No, as I don't see why coming back from the dead means you crave brains, move slowly, and have the intelligence of a three year old.

#22 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

I would have a better idea of how to survive, and I feel that I would be able to better come to terms with the whole killing someone close because I know once they have been bitten that you can no longer see them as anything but a zombie if you want to survive. That said, I`m nowhere near physically able to fight zombies or able to do the massive amount of work that is involved in always running away and or building a defensible position. Plus, at that point we all need to become farmers hunters to forage for food and I don`t have the strength or skills to do so. Though living in a farming community does give me the advantage of being able to learn and pool together resources to do so.

#23 Edited by ProfessorEss (7278 posts) -

If there's one thing I've learned from all our zombie apocolypse media it's that it's not the zombies you have to worry about - It's the other survivors.

#24 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

No, as I don't see why coming back from the dead means you crave brains, move slowly, and have the intelligence of a three year old.

Hey, way to give an asshole answer to a completely inoffensive, and actually rather interesting question.

#25 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

I think I have a little more idea what I'd do in a situation like that, but let's be realistic, for as much as it's become part of nerd culture to talk about all this "zombie survival" stuff, watching all of Walking Dead and putting in all those hours on Left 4 Dead does not make you a zombie fighter. Personally I think I'd die fairly fast.

Fast but probably slower than people who haven't been honing their zombie-survival skills through popular media.

#26 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

Nope, I've never thought of it, so I suppose I'm not.

#27 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Screw zombies, I'm preparing for the raptor uprising! They will return, and I'll be ready for them.

#28 Edited by Video_Game_King (35985 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy:

So I'm an asshole for thinking of people who have come back from the dead as actual people and not ravenous entities by default? Racist. What's the difference between the roof of a mall and a gated community? (I should probably clarify that I'm getting into jokes by the end of this post.)

#29 Posted by Nux (2303 posts) -

I was just thinking about how I would survive the zombie apocalypse earlier today, wierd.

#30 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I'm in about as ideal as a situation as you could be without living deep in the woods and extremely isolated. I'm out of shape though, so if I have to run from them more than a couple minutes... well, I'm fucked. (I'm working on this, however! I've lost 10 pounds in the past ~3 weeks. Yay.)

#31 Posted by SgtSphynx (1266 posts) -

I have military training, the Zombie Survival Guide, and 3 main zombie plans depending on the situation that I can alter to fit the demand. I can't guarantee I'd survive for very long, but I like to think I have a decent chance.

#32 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

Well, I'm in terrible shape, not fat, the opposite of fat actually which imo is worse, I don't own any firearms. I have a blunt sword, Baseball bat and some other small weapons. I do know the surrounding areas like the back of my hand though. And seeing that it is Ireland.. Lots of boggy remote areas I spent half my childhood working at.

I'd say I'm pretty well prepared, I own nothing I'd risk dying for. I'd simply go to a bog in the mountains and live in one of the huts there, plenty of berries and slow wildlife to eat, with freshwater springs, anything tries to get near me either sinks into 10ft+ deep water/peat with countless sheep and stuff that already lies in there, or gets slapped over the head with a log and ends up there anyway

#33 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I have guns, so if I were a little more in shape I'd probably do all right.

#34 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (418 posts) -

I think I could make it for quite a while, I'm fit and live in a rural area so I feel like that might help. But I'm a tad clumsy, so... maybe not.

#35 Posted by yoshisaur (2639 posts) -

Well, I'm an Eagle Scout, so I figure that I know a little about making my own without a roof over my head. Also, all the users who think guns are going to save their lives, just watch Walking Dead and see what that gets you.

#36 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

I know how to survive but I have asthma so I can't run a lot. Unless I have a car and a place I can stay forever, I'm fucked.

#37 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

Asking if I'm prepared for a zombie apocalypse is like asking me if I'm prepared for the big bad wolf to come blow my house down.

#38 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

If they're slow zombies, then yeah. I've seen enough movies and played enough games to know some stuff but most of my knowledge comes from reading The Zombie Survival Guide.

#39 Posted by Cubidog1 (214 posts) -

Considering I live in the South and I know quite a few people with guns, I think I could hole up with somebody. My friends have offered to teach me how to shoot a gun, so I could learn from one of them. The only thing I would be worried about is entertainment if the electicity goes out.

#40 Posted by Rohok (553 posts) -

I exercise daily and have been working on a military enlistment. Soon as I get in and ship to basic I'll be ready to gun down many civilians to prevent A: Infection from spreading and B: Knowledge of the secret military biological warfare testing from getting out.

#41 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Meh, i wouldn't last too much.
 @ProfessorEss said:

If there's one thing I've learned from all our zombie apocolypse media it's that it's not the zombies you have to worry about - It's the other survivors.

Oh, that's so true. If i survived long enough to meet another survivor, i would kill him and eat his flesh. Hey, i don't need to be a zombie to do that.
#42 Posted by Andorski (5189 posts) -

Don't feel the need to be ready for a possible zombie apocalypse. Human society has become so effective at killing things that if an outbreak were to happen, the epidemic would be dealt with within an afternoon.

#43 Posted by Grillbar (1796 posts) -

i know some about zombies so it all depends on if its the fast or slow zombies and how they infect people. i have little gun training and im resourceful with what i got. but i think ill end up being one of the people who cant let go and will end up killing my way though a horde just to end up shooting my self in the head when i get bitten or infected since i dont think the aftermath would be all that great.

#44 Posted by JuggertrainUK (200 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

I know how to survive but I have asthma so I can't run a lot. Unless I have a car and a place I can stay forever, I'm fucked.

@awesomeusername: Fuuuuuck I forgot I had asthma, I've kind of grown out of it, like I don't need an inhaler no where near as much as I did when I was a kid. But it would become a problem overtime if I couldn't find a refill for the inhaler. GODDAMNIT!!!!!!!

#45 Posted by JuggertrainUK (200 posts) -

@Andorski said:

Don't feel the need to be ready for a possible zombie apocalypse. Human society has become so effective at killing things that if an outbreak were to happen, the epidemic would be dealt with within an afternoon.

#46 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I'd kill myself if it happened, all kidding aside.

Why delay the inevitable?

#47 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

Effectively, I already live the Zombie Apocalypse. When I do groceries, the shopping mall is replete with braindead people walking around with vague to no purpose(s) whatsoever. Hellbent on food, drink and small talk. Well, they seem happy anyways...
#48 Posted by therabidfrog (349 posts) -

Who could possibly be better prepared than a group of people who traditionally spend as much time as possible avoiding physical activity instead opting to sit on their butts and mash colored buttons? Seriously, I've never even held a loaded gun before so I doubt it.

#49 Posted by Clouise (147 posts) -

If I got in shape maybe I could survive for a while, but if it happened like right now i'd be dead in seconds.

#50 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

@Jasta said:

The Walking Dead has taught me more than enough on how to handle a Zombie apocalypse situation.

Yeah sitting around bitching about morality and refusing to take any real action towards the immediate threat is my plan A.