Do you hate your sibling or siblings?

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#101  Edited By DeadpanCakes

I love my brother, and I can't imagine who I'd be if I was an only child. I feel like that guy taught me how to be who I am, and to strive to be a better person, without pressuring me to wanna be like him.

Honestly, I always felt like he made my life hard, back when I was 10 and he was 14, but those were awkward years for both of us. But when I started high school, he did so much for me and continues to do so to this day. It's gotten difficult to talk for these past three or so years, as we've both come to deal with our own insulated lives, but I value and appreciate the fuck out of the few times a year we manage to hang out. He's somebody I truly respect -- so much so, it's difficult to put into words -- and I'm glad that if I had to get stuck with gradually getting to know somebody over the course of decades, that it was him.

My relationships with my cousins, however, is more representative of a typical sibling relationship from my understanding. I couldn't imagine living with any of them, except maybe one or two, and even then, that might be a little questionable. Still though, at the end of the day, there's very little I wouldn't do for them, I think.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Shortbreadtom

Not as much as I hate my parents!

Hahahaha oh god I have issues

Blomakrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Blomakrans

It makes me a bit sad seeing all the bombers who dislike their immediate family. I really think you should do everything in your power to stay friendly with your family. That doesn't mean you have to agree with them, hang out with them or necessarily meet them often. But being on bad terms with your family when they suddenly die must be horrible. I'm pretty sure most of the people above who said they hate their family actually love them when shit hits the fan. Do yourself a favor and try to make peace with your family.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By CaLe

I have nothing in common with any of them. It's hard to even believe we were raised in the same house, but no I don't hate them.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

Nope. My brother probably hates me, though.

I'm the fuck-up older brother (I'm starting to think that everybody has one) who had to come home after spending two years getting my ass kicked by the real world. I also rejected (and still reject) my family's religion, and my brother is completely into it, he's even going to be spending time serving for it out of the country for a while.

Your brother will figure his shit out at some point. I'm working on it. I hope my brother doesn't hate me. I don't hate him.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#107  Edited By Toastburner_B

I am the youngest of five kids, and I love all my siblings. Of course we had our issues growing up (how we didn't drive my parents crazy absolutely defies belief), but all families do. I am also very lucky in that, with a few exceptions, my extended family on both sides gets along with each other pretty well.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got an older sister, who's probably better in everything (except videogames, yaaaay...) she does. That said, we have no problems between us, but we also have completely different personalities and rarely see or interact with each other in any way.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Skyrider

Hate? No sir, I'm not sure if I have it in me to genuinely hate someone, but I'm definitely not close to my sister. She's a few years older than me and we grew apart around the time she started high school. It's weird because she apparently misses being close to me now, but I'm kind of indifferent about the whole thing at this point. The bond I have with the best friend is what I imagine siblings are ideally like, and I honestly see her as a younger sister of sorts.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#110  Edited By nightriff

Growing up I sure did at moments hate my sisters and brother, but now that we are all older we have very strong relationships that probably wouldn't be there if we didn't have those fights and disagreements, its what created the respect that we have for each other.

I am the youngest of 4 kids, being 10 years younger than my brother with my sisters being 7 and 4 years older than me.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By roboculus92

I am on good terms with my brother. We used to get into a number of dumb fights when we were younger but that doesn't really happen too much anymore. Sorry to hear about your situation. I'd like to think that you guys could work this out at some point. Maybe he'll eventually grow out of some of this once he's been out and about in the "real world" for some years.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#112  Edited By pyromagnestir

I like all my siblings.

I have a much older brother who is almost past middle aged at this point, but sometimes seems to have the maturity of someone in the 8 to 12 year old range. I say that, though he's actually way more capable of functioning in the real world than I am. I look up to him, and always have. He's just got an attitude that I wish I could also have, sort of a "ready for anything, fuck it, let's do this, it will all work out in the end!" type deal. And as his maturity levels are somewhat lacking, he had no problem hanging out with a young kid and goofing around from time to time, so it worked out.

My older sister is a couple years younger than my older brother, but as I was the keep to myself, quiet type child while she was a teenage or twenty something young woman doing whatever they do, I don't think we ever really got all that close. That's sort of still the case, though she has kids now and those kids of hers are my two favorite human beings on the planet, and my love for them has helped and continues to help me get through some rough times (which I don't think anybody knows about).

My younger brother, well, I like him but he's definitely quite different from me. He's the handsome, charming, sociable, loud, athletic type who likes drinking and partying and going to bars and all that, and I'm not any of those things. So we don't really have any cause to hang out much. Though growing up with me he did end up playing a bunch of video games with me and my friends, and picked up a few other geeky interests so we haven't always been entirely different.

I get the feeling that all my siblings do like me, but also are sort of confused by me. They don't know how to deal with me, and as I've always been sort of bad at dealing with other people I can certainly understand that. There was never any fighting or sibling rivalry or any of that type stuff when I was growing up, everyone kinda just went about their business and occasionally we'd have some fun together. That's still how it is.

leafhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@daneian said:

I absorbed my brother in the womb.

You. Fucking. Wish.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my brothers. Yeah, we fight and we argue, but that's because sometimes we expect our siblings to think and feel like us. I bet when push comes to shove, you love your brother, just as he loves you. And as a fellow little brother, maybe sweep in front of your own door before you jump to conclusions about your brother.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115  Edited By MocBucket62

Hell no, my brother is awesome!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nope. I'm the youngest of 6. I love my siblings dearly. Well...4 of them anyway. I've see my oldest sibling at most once a year for my entire life. I have literally no memories of spending time with her or anything when i was a kid, but I could easily recall at least a hundred memories for each of my other siblings. I can't really say I hate her, but I could not possibly give less of a fuck about her. As fucked up as it may sound to some people, she could pass away tomorrow and I would still sleep like a fucking baby.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natedynamic: your family sounds like an actual sitcom in the making (or the movie little miss sunshine).

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Family before all else

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#119  Edited By Daneian

@daneian said:

I absorbed my brother in the womb.

You. Fucking. Wish.

PROVE. ME. WRONG.

Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've got two older brothers and I love 'em both. We're good friends at this point. We had big fights and arguments as kids and still wind each other every now and then as siblings do, but it's cool now. I'm 27, next brother is 30 and the eldest is 33. Definitely an age thing.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#121  Edited By monkeyking1969

I get along great with my sister and have done so for years. Neither of us are screwed up idiots, so it wasn't hard to get along. Ever since she was 18 and I was 15 we have gotten along like best friends.

My brother-in-law has a TERRIBLE family - his mom is a manipulative crazy woman, his oldest sister is thief and a bum, his dad is just a pushover, and his middle sister is merely okay. Basically, his mother and oldest sister are simply not very nice people, never have been...and never will be. It has taken my brother-in-law time to realize helping his family in a way they would think of as helping is pointless.

Helping your family is great, but you have to be helping them. Allowing them to walk all over you, allowing them to steal, allowing them to pit one parent against another, allowing them to do what they want ISN'T helping them. Sometimes, in some families, helping your sibling is putting them on a very short leash and not 'helping' them in the ways they want. Sometimes helping your family is not getting involved with them at all in any way or helping them with anything stupid they are doing. Sometimes helping them is is removing the old flowers and putting new ones on the graves they earned...and not being sad they are gone.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Shortbreadtom

I don't get the whole "you're meant to look out for your family and love them unconditionally" thing. If you don't like people, you don't make an effort to hang out with them and stuff. I place more importance in my friends, and people who I choose to spend time with over people I was thrown together with through no choice of my own. People who claim people that don't get along with their family are douches or are in some way assholes clearly come from a family made up of people who all get along. And that's perfectly fine, but don't be dicks to people who don't come from families like that.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Let's see... all of my siblings have drug problems, one is serving 10 years in prison, one is a drop-out pot dealer, and the other is a stripper.

You could say we're not on the best of terms, seeing as how they all blame me for it because "I'm the youngest of the family and got the most support"

Kinda lame, my 7 year old daughter doesn't know they really exist yet. I don't know if I'll tell her about them, because quite frankly, what kind of good will that do?

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

No, they're all pretty great.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#125  Edited By GunstarRed

Hate is a strong word, but I don't speak to my older sister. We just don't get along and she is truly one of the most mean spirited and cruel people I have ever known. I have no reason to interact with a person like that, If we weren't related I'd avoid her like the plague.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say I ever hated my younger sister, but I'm real glad the 13-17 teenage girl years are over. Real fucking glad. We're pretty close nowadays, and having a nerd for a brother and a father gave her some appreciation for my hobbies. She's even a fan of fighting games (particularly Mortal Kombat), if not that great at them.

Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont hate my brother, I was close to him when we were kids then I was kind of dick to him when I was about 13 to 17 you know teenage crap and so, but I grew out of it and now we are very close again, love him very much.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, no hate here but It kinda bums me that I was never close to my sister. We're only four years apart but it feels like it may as well be thirty.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have a younger sister. No hate or anything, though I was probably pretty shitty at times in our teens. But at the same time we're really not close. Though not so distant that I'd not be real sad if she died tomorrow, but we just don't seem to have much in common. I never really know what to say to her.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

My brother's awesome. The fact that we're 10 years apart yet still so close is a testament to how cool he is. When I was going through my teenage years and he was in his 20s, he let me go out with his friends to watch movies and stuff. I could only imagine how annoying and immature I probably was, but he always invited me to tag along.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I have five siblings, and I love them all. And their kids. Yay, family!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have two younger sisters. One is 17 the other is 10. The 10 year old is my favourite. She's sweet, wicked smart, and a joy to be around. For reference, she figured out Santa Claus wasn't real when she was seven. Just put two and two together and figured it out. I gave her a high five for that. She's a straight A student, has a ton of friends, and she makes me proud to be her brother. She stays over sometimes during the summer and we build bottle rockets and potato guns and other cool shit our mother wouldn't let her do in a million years.

The 17 year old on the other hand is just a cunt. She's bitchy, she's rude, she's selfish, she's lazy, and there have been times when I wished she'd die in a horrible fire. She's taken after her father in the worst possible ways; not that there are any good ways to take after that scumbag.

Now I know y'all probably think "But ODB! That's a terrible thing to say about family!" and you'd probably be right. Yet after the shit she's pulled I find it hard to think of any other adjectives to describe the kind of person she is. All the grey hair I have (I'm 26) is a direct result of the shenanigans she's pulled. Considering I come from a poor family, supporting myself and helping my mother with my sisters... she's just added way more problems than she's ever solved. I want to write her off but our mother, bless her, still thinks she's worth a damn.

And that is probably the most personal I've ever gotten on an internet forum. Weird.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate is a strong word. Too strong. I can't ever bring myself to "hate" someone in my immediate family. I definitely don't like my brother though, he's done some bad stuff and wronged me and my family in a lot of ways more than a few times. Even so though I still don't hate him, still love the kid, but man there are times I just want to beat him senseless.

Me and my little sister though, we get along great. Outside of the sibling arguments that crop up from time to time.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope! My younger brother introduced me to the Giant Bombcast and then bought me a premium subscription and linked me up to some premium-only videos. He is the best.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#135  Edited By Humanity

I have a 4 year older brother and when we were younger we were very close. Shared all the same interests and passions. Now that he's in his 30's and I'm closing in on them we couldn't be possibly anymore different. I don't hate him, but we have so little in common right now that it's gotten difficult to actually hang out.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, we get along fine. We're not all on a monthly phone call basis but it's amicable when we do get together.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I love my siblings, though to be fair I started getting along with all of them a lot better once I didn't have to live in the same place as them all of the time.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My little brother is awesome. He's a better version of me but I'm not jealous because I like to think I made him that way. He's great

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

As the oldest my sister and brother are the two most important people in my life, even when we argue which happens with all siblings they still mean more to me than anything else.

maxB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't think I hate anyone, including my sister. She's alright.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

1 post necro strikes again. Yep, this needed a necro. For serious.

To answer the 3 year old OP, no. I'm not 8 years old. Hating your family is stupid. There is no one else in this world who can/will love you and understand you as much as family- except when you meet the love of your life maybe but then that person is family.

You have the same blood flowing through your veins. You have the same genes and other science-y stuff that makes you closer to each other than any other person on the planet.

If you hate your family you will always be alone. I feel bad for people who cannot mend the fences with their family. I did when I learned what being an adult was about and it means at least I am never alone.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#142 fisk0  Moderator

No, I don't hate any of my siblings. We generally don't understand each other, but we get along pretty fine. I have some shared interests with both my younger sister and my older brother which we'll occasionally talk about, but, yeah, we're neither particularly close or actively avoiding each other.

I do have a cousin that I'd say I hate though, though we very rarely meet these days, so it's not that much of a problem. There are two other cousins I get along with pretty fine though, but which I kinda avoid in order not to meet the aforementioned one, so I guess there's an issue there.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My sister if five years younger than me and she's the baby. I love her, I protect her and will always be there for her. We got along great as kids, hell she would love doing endurance races for me in GT3 during the summer! Fantastic times. Now were older and were cool, but different people with interests and shit.

So no, I don't hate her, but I hate her choice with her boyfriend. He's a fucking piece of shit.

Nekromantix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've one older brother, who I love and respect,and reading some of the responses in this thread makes me realize I'm pretty fortunate. He's 31, I'm 26.

Growing up, he was kind of my protector, never had to deal with the stereotypical older brother bully. He was thrown into the man-of-the-house position against his will when my dad's schizophrenia pretty much disabled him from providing, but he just grinned and bore it, and he shielded me from the brunt of my father's schizophrenic and alcoholic outbursts. My brother became the main bread winner after my dad was out of the picture and while my mom struggled to get an education (housewife of 20 ish years at that point), raise me, and deal with the shit storm my father left in his wake. Never once did I sense an ounce of resentment from him, just a lot of him encouragement to do what he couldn't, which was go to college.

Now that life is "normal," I still find my brother to be pretty fucking awesome. He's pretty successful (way more so than I'll probably ever be, but he's fucking earned it), living a fulfilling life, and we still are pretty close. We don't have much in common, but he's always going out of his way to bring up my interests when he's around.

But no... I don't hate my sibling. My life would probably be a lot worse if I didn't have him around in my life.

Have work in half an hour, and I'm teary eyed thinking of all he's done for the family, lol.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By alwaysbebombing

My sister and I used to fight all the time. But once I finished college and moved away and she started, we grew closer. Plus we learned we had tons of similar interests.

TheMessiBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My younger sister is incredibly frustrating to deal with. Her continuous disrespect towards our parents drives me insane, especially considering how much more freedom she has compared to me when I was her age (15). We've got a pretty serious hate/hate relationship, mostly due to the fact that I don't even want to be near her due to how ungrateful she can be. I hope this can improve with time, but it's difficult to deal with someone in a neutral manner if they're continuously causing family problems. (I've just written this after a disagreement with her, so it's probably coming out pretty rough)

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me and my sister used to be super close. She was basically a second mother to me (she's ten years me senior). There's some distance between us now but we still get along great.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#148  Edited By Rejizzle

@mubblegum said:

I'm an only child. I always wanted a big brother though.

Yeah. I'm an only child and when I was younger I would get lonely. I had friends but most of them lived too far away to walk to, so I always though having a sibling would be nice.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

We used to fight constantly but my brother moved out for a year, and then when he moved back in we got along really well and have ever since. It's really weird.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I love my siblings. They get on my nerves from time to time, but they're siblings... they do that.