• 113 results
#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3436 posts) -

I don't. Wish I did but I don't. But I'm looking for a solitary non gaming related hobby. I get really bored some times when I dont have a game to play. For example I just got drunk and made a candle out of wax from a piece of cheese, it burned for 16 min. I need something to do with my solo time that isn't game related.

Things I have an interest in looking into possibly starting to do as a hobby:

• Building models(not sure where to start)
  • umm I cant think of anything else. Any recommendations? cheaper the better assuming that I'll find it fun/rewarding.

and no I don't go outside or have any friends.

#2 Posted by OGinOR (325 posts) -

@devil240z: Then I'd forgo another hobby until I did those last two things...but that's just me.

#3 Posted by Devil240Z (3436 posts) -

@oginor said:

@devil240z: Then I'd forgo another hobby until I did those last two things...but that's just me.

Its winter and I don't like people.

#4 Posted by SexyToad (2722 posts) -

Try perler beads art. This is combining a hobby with another hobby. You can make sweet pixel art.

#5 Edited by Devil240Z (3436 posts) -

@sexytoad said:

Try perler beads art. This is combining a hobby with another hobby. You can make sweet pixel art.

thats pretty cool. reminds me of that game mag which I cant remember the name of but every issue had a puzzle thing and when you completed it made picture.

#6 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5991 posts) -

Archery, reading, and writing are some of my hobbies besides playing video games.

#7 Posted by hinderk (690 posts) -

I enjoy building papercraft models. It is a relatively cheap and easy hobby to get into. If you are interested check out Papercraftmuseum.com and paperkraft.net. Papercraft museum is a huge papercraft database. It also has a couple of tutorials. Paperkraft.net is a blog that is updated daily with links to new papercrafts.

#8 Edited by Chop (1998 posts) -

I collect and read maps. Kind of passive as far as hobbies go; probably not exactly what you're looking for.

#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

I have seriously considered getting into knitting recently for some strange reason. I just think it would be cool to be able to make bitching tuques and gloves that have designs of stuff I like. I know you mentioned hating going out and other people, like any sane person does, but look into a local gaming shop in your area and see if they have any board game nights. Most places have like D&D or Magic TCG nights that can be fun and sometimes have people that you don't want to kill the moment you see them. Some times.

I'm probably the worst person to give advice as I'm kind of in the same boat if I'm being honest. Maybe look into gardening a few small plants, learning a skill like woodworking/drawing/writing, a new language, playing some kind of musical instrument, or just go all out into gaming and start trying to teach yourself how to make games.

#10 Posted by Hamst3r (4564 posts) -

Read books, exercise, learn a language; or you could make stuff; learn how to program, make music, draw, animate, cook, knit, build. Just gotta give something a shot. Give anything a shot. There are a ton of resources out there for getting into these sort of things.

As for model making, you start by buying a model kit. It doesn't matter which one, just buy one and put it together. LEGO ones are a good place to start because the parts snap together, no glue.

#11 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

I dick around with a guitar, read and do creative writing (though that part of my interests has been sadly overshadowed by schoolwork as of late) and act in community theater, though I wouldn't recommend that last one if you don't want to interact with people. I also used to play Magic the Gathering (which has multiple online versions so you never have to deal with real people), but that has a way of burning a hole in your wallet faster than a Steam sale, so I wouldn't recommend it.

#12 Posted by ILikePopCans (774 posts) -

I make some sweet rubber band balls. I have one that is so big I sure can kill someone if hit in the head with. Anyways, it's not too expensive to get into so give it a try.

#13 Posted by dachen (40 posts) -

Have you considered cooking? Find something that you really like to eat, and see if you can make it at home yourself. At first it seems really daunting, especially after reading a recipe in a book or online. But once you figure out the ingredients, it can be really satisfying to know that you actually completed a dish. And you get to eat it, good or bad so you know what you need to do next time. You don't really need to go outside, just go to the grocery store to pick up what you need and go for it.

And the main thing is...just go with what you can get or have. Cooking as a hobby is about the experimentation and the process so it can be suited for your tastes.

#14 Posted by Stonyman65 (2871 posts) -
  • Guitar playing and amatuer music production (nothing serious just screwing around)
  • Target shooting (pistol bullseye and IPSC)
#15 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3994 posts) -

I play basketball like every day. It's a fun sport to stay active in.

@dachen said:

Have you considered cooking? Find something that you really like to eat, and see if you can make it at home yourself. At first it seems really daunting, especially after reading a recipe in a book or online. But once you figure out the ingredients, it can be really satisfying to know that you actually completed a dish. And you get to eat it, good or bad so you know what you need to do next time. You don't really need to go outside, just go to the grocery store to pick up what you need and go for it.

And the main thing is...just go with what you can get or have. Cooking as a hobby is about the experimentation and the process so it can be suited for your tastes.

Cooking is a great one too. I'm getting more into it since I'm out on my own and it's obviously a really practical one but I think also super useful.

#16 Edited by MC_Hify (351 posts) -

Drinking

#17 Posted by ConfusedOwl (965 posts) -

I play Guitar, do perler bead art, reading, and that's really it. You could try and learn an instrument maybe? I don't know what else to suggest that hasn't already been mentioned. Do you live in a somewhat interesting location? you could explore your surroundings, maybe you'll find something interesting.

#18 Posted by TyCobb (1973 posts) -

I have seriously considered getting into knitting recently for some strange reason.

Is your name John Spartan?

----------------------------------------------------

Music is a great hobby. If you choose guitar or bass, you could even pickup Rocksmith. The new one is quite good.

Models are fun to do as you mentioned, but bare in mind that depending on what stage you are in, there might not be a lot time consumed if you are looking for something that takes longer. The entire process is long, but a lot of waiting for things to dry before you can move onto the next step. It's great, but if you get impatient, your model will turn to shit. This I know from experience.

The sky is the limit in terms of what you could do. You'll just have to find one you are passionate about to actually stick with it.

#19 Edited by Kingfalcon (143 posts) -

Rock climbing, basketball, reading, board games, anime

I'd consider picking up lego and woodworking if I had more time and money.

#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4885 posts) -

Learn to play the guitar. There isn't anything quite like the first time it clicks together and you're playing music.

#21 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1649 posts) -

Crying. That's how I spend my time.

#22 Posted by Hunter5024 (5964 posts) -

Hunter5024's hobbies include: Gaming, Fast Food Binges, and Self Loathing.

#23 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (742 posts) -

I was in the same boat a couple months ago, then I joined a board game group on meetup.com.

Now I'm painting miniatures for my Mansions of Madness and Super Dungeon Explore board game sets. It's fun!

#24 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -

Art, maaaaaaan. But really, at least trying (and I mean putting serious hours of effort) to learn to draw, write poetry/fiction/whatever, or play/write music is something most people should try at some point in their lives. Expand your horizons, or something.

#25 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4809 posts) -

Reading and anime if those count. I can cook actual entire meals from scratch, but I don't really consider it a hobby. Just something I do because I obviously need to eat lol. I used to be legit into dancing and parkour, but I've become a lazy piece of shit over the past few years. I may not get back into parkour, but I still find myself bustin a move every now and then. I've been thinking about picking up the guitar/bass and/or keyboard just because I wanna pick back up an instrument. I miss it.I used to play the tuba in high school and, apparently, I was seriously good at (I couldn't fucking tell. I just played whatever they put in front of me and people liked it lol.)

#26 Edited by Random45 (1282 posts) -

Art, maaaaaaan. But really, at least trying (and I mean putting serious hours of effort) to learn to draw, write poetry/fiction/whatever, or play/write music is something most people should try at some point in their lives. Expand your horizons, or something.

I second this. I got into drawing about half a year ago, and I make sure to draw a single picture each day and to try and do something new every once in a while when I feel like I'm getting too complacent with my current work.

Though I also agree with the first reply that says you should consider getting some friends, it's not healthy being alone all the time.

#27 Edited by smcn (926 posts) -
@random45 said:

@siroptimusprime said:

I second this. I got into drawing about half a year ago, and I make sure to draw a single picture each day and to try and do something new every once in a while when I feel like I'm getting too complacent with my current work.

Though I also agree with the first reply that says you should consider getting some friends, it's not healthy being alone all the time.

Thirded, but writing for me. Nothing like helping a tiny kernel of an idea take on a life of its own. The worst thing one can do is to think of writing--or any art form--as a career choice, or something that's out of their realm. Everyone has the capacity and imagination to make art, and they should. It's just a matter of finding the proper outlet.

#28 Edited by TopSteer (677 posts) -

I love to go fishing, kayaking and bowling. I've been a part of a bowling league the past two years and I try to go kayaking/fishing as often as I can. I know you said you don't go outside but I really love being out on the water, it's so relaxing and gives me a real sense of freedom.

#29 Posted by NoctisLucisCaelum (94 posts) -

Piano, and sometimes dancing.

#30 Posted by Christoffer (1921 posts) -

Teach yourself how to make sushi. Take lessons on starting your own small business. Open a small drop-in-drop-out sushi place with the best sushi in town.

I shouldn't give advice when I'm hungry.

#31 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

I work out from time to time and do art when I get the motivation to also eating and sleeping.

#32 Posted by Grillbar (1904 posts) -

airsoft 2-3 times a month, working out 3-4 times a week, playing music when i want and boxing 1-2 times a week and sometimes read a book if i find one i like

#33 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (684 posts) -

Pro-tip: this early in the stage, pick a hobby that's going to directly benefit you, such as learning a language or instrument. Learn to play the guitar.

#34 Edited by falserelic (5407 posts) -

I probably said this countless times on the site, but fuck it I'll say it again. I enjoy exercising, hell I'm wearing a 20 lbs weight vest on right now. (Though I might get a 40 lbs one, but its abit pricey) I enjoy working out because it helps me relieve stress, and I got tired of being a 330 pound fat fuck. Though now I'm 210 pound and have more muscle definition. I'm planning on getting ripped as fuck this upcoming year.

''I want to get cut up for all the sluts, so they can sit on my nuts''. I heard that from a trainer once, that guy was aswome.

#35 Edited by mjk0104 (214 posts) -

@hinderk: I like the avatar.

In terms of hobbies, I like programming, just making useful little programs, sometimes game-related, sometimes not.

I also play Trombone and Tuba. Not a particularly cheap hobby, but if you can find a local community concert band they often have instruments they'll let you use for very little, music is one of the greatest hobbies, since you can entertain yourself, and other people :)

#36 Posted by isomeri (1416 posts) -

Photography, cooking and mixing music are probably my three main hobbies apart from gaming. Cooking is the cheapest one to get into and it's really satisfying when you've made yourself a plate of something really delicious after anywhere from 15 minutes to 15 hours of work.

Modern camera phones are starting to be good enough so that you can start practicing photography with just your phone before you go into buying specific camera hardware. Everybody seems to be a photographer in some capacity these days and it's worth it to take some time learning how your holiday snaps can become that much more interesting.

The rising Moon on my last trip to our summer cottage a month ago.

#37 Edited by domsalvia (23 posts) -

I know you said no outside, but as someone who also mostly dislikes other people I have really enjoyed running and cycling. Doing it solo lets you set your own pace and distance and you can make it as challenging or as easy as you want to depending on mood or goals.

I would recommend a cheap gps watch (or expensive if you are flush) or a phone app + arm band for it to record all your runs. It is super rewarding when you look back at your previous times and distances compared to what you do now. I went from struggling to run 1 mile in 10 minutes to cruising a half marathon at 8 minute miles without even trying, just as an easy slow evening run and it was nice out and even ran a 70 mile ultra. I still can't believe what I achieved, so satisfying!

edit: not supposed to be self congratulatory, just as a tubby guy I found I could achieve crazy things, and if I managed it anyone can that's for sure! I was so unathletic so lack of fitness should not put anyone off.

If you think you will get bored, take the time to focus on what you are doing (your running form, your breathing patterns, etc.) or mix it up as you go (this will be a fast half mile, next I will slow it down and rest a little, then there is a hill so I'll try and sprint up that, then have a little walk break) don't just plod along.

It's also a really nice chilled out meditative kinda time too. If you take up any other hobbies that requires thought or planning, run time is good thought time for that. If you want to write a book running will provide a good time to ponder where you want your story to go next.

#38 Edited by domsalvia (23 posts) -

@isomeri: Good pick! A good rule of thumb for me is something I can obsess over and spend ages reading about and learning. Photography has so much to learn and practice it can keep you going with new stuff to learn all the time.

#39 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

I play the guitar, run, cook and read. You should just try a bunch of stuff that doesn't require a massive financial commitment until you find something you like.

#40 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -

@devil240z: If you want to build models, get into one of the Warhammers or a similar model building/collecting thing. There's basically one for every genre now. Fantasy has WFB, Sci-fi has WH40k, Mecha has Warmachine, and Malifaux covers everything from cowboys to body horror.

You also get to paint them which is awesome.

I haven't done it for a few years because reasons; I just collect Pokemon cards now.

#41 Edited by JacDG (2130 posts) -

Music production, currently learning the ropes with FL Studio and though I still suuuuuck, it is quite fun to piece things together. It is making me learn some music theory too, and I now kinda want to learn how to play the piano, since I love beats that incorporate that instrument.

#42 Edited by mosespippy (4447 posts) -

I play volleyball on Tuesday nights, but that's no good for you since you're looking for a solitary hobby that you can do at any time.

When Gary Whitta, Will Smith and Norm Chan all got into LEGO I realized I really miss LEGO and want to get back into it. It's kind of like model making, but not nearly as cheap.

#43 Posted by AndyMc1888 (114 posts) -

I play football (or soccer ....) and follow and support my team Celtic everywhere an expensive hobby , 500 odd pounds for the home season ticket then 20-30 pound every second week for the away game , that's not even including travel and alcohol for the trips so it adds up quite quickly .

There of course there's the 3 at least European games all over which can be anywhere in Europe and as soon as the fixtures are announced flight and hotel prices near treble in price ....

#44 Edited by Dimi3je (370 posts) -

Free climbing, reading. I would recommend you to try out a few sports of your choosing. It's good for you, builds character and confidence. Plus you get to meet new people.

#45 Posted by Yesiamaduck (1229 posts) -

These past couple months have been me trying to expand my horizons outside of gaming.

So far I adapted to Guitar, Reading, Jam making and Beer Brewing thanks to some christmas presents... hope these stick because I am enjoying it thus far.

#46 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

try drawing, great fun and a real feeling of accomplishment after doing it for a bit

chasing and repousse copper is pretty great and really doesn't take much gear except a bowl of pitch, hammer, and some filed down pieces of tool steel. Check out youtubes.

#47 Posted by Guesty_01 (382 posts) -

Don't know if you would consider this not gaming, but I've really got into board and card games. Also enjoy reading occasionally (mostly George Martin and Joe Abercrombie). Watch a lot of tv series (walking dead, lost, GoT etc. Other than these things my time is mostly spent working and or spending time with my girlfriend and our daughter.

#48 Posted by psylah (2185 posts) -

Rebuild the head on your L24.

#49 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

I like to find a busy intersection, stand on a corner, and hold a cup. I tell people it's for a charity, but eh... I count as charity. They don't know me.

#50 Posted by KirillOrlov (256 posts) -

Playing music and guitar. Though it's an expensive hobby it's one I love. Expensive since I'm in a working band(this doesn't mean we make money). But I think playing guitar or a music instrument can be fun. Plus you can do remix versions of your favorite video game songs!