• 112 results
#51 Edited by kerse (2100 posts) -

My only other major hobby would be reading I suppose.

#52 Posted by sub_o (811 posts) -

I play guitar, draw, code, and cook.

Here are some shameless plugs:

I haven't had time to update my blog http://subokita.com

#53 Edited by squiDc00kiE (347 posts) -

Music is huge in my life. Going to shows, buying records (yes vinyl), etc.

#54 Posted by BroadwayMonkey (6 posts) -

I tend to read a lot (and also write! I'm just an amateur, but it's fun). I also do table top roleplaying, though you need buddies for that.

I enjoy cooking in general. Making food for my friends and family is a real pleasure. I'm really terrible at making drinks, but I'm learning.

Going out and trying new foods is a passion of mine. Whether it's fine dining or low-end places, I love trying new things.

Though I haven't in months, I used to brew beer about every few weeks. There's something special about drinking beer you have made and cared for. I'm interested in doing mead at some point, but I don't know where to buy a gallon of honey.

#55 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2535 posts) -

Go to a gym. You will meet people there, it takes time because people are very private in gyms in many cases. But as people see you there a lot you meet people. If you say you are 'quiet' people WILL LIKE YOU because you are not some weirdo gym rat who weasels his way into things.

Going to a gym will make you healthy, you will meet different people, and believe me - using you body will provide benefits in all parts of your life.

#56 Posted by Marcsman (3094 posts) -

Professional drinking

Watching & betting on Football

During the summer I play Bocce.

#57 Edited by Irvandus (2777 posts) -

I write, sing, and dance.

I mean I do totally manly stuff like wrestle bears.

#58 Posted by MightyDuck (1494 posts) -

I play on a Men's League Hockey team. One game a week for the past 7 or 8 years...since I was a freshmen in college anyway.

I also try to jog quite a bit...something I need to get back into.

#59 Posted by Kidavenger (3488 posts) -
  • Building models(not sure where to start)

I haven't built one in a long time but I used to really enjoy building Master Grade model kits made by Bandai like this http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN903328/Gun

I never really cared about the source material, but the kits are well made and a good starting point for getting into the hobby.

#60 Posted by DonMFJohnson (144 posts) -

Gym, motorcycling, movies & TV (is this a hobby?) and photography (although just taking pictures would be more accurate). I rotate my hobbies depending on seasons (no motorcycling in winter here) and what happens to peak my interest at that moment. Game and console release schedule definetily has an impact on this.

#61 Posted by Fattony12000 (6969 posts) -

Speedrunning.

#62 Edited by Skamikaze1983 (17 posts) -

Walking/Any exercise.

I have started downloading all the GB podcasts to my phone and taking it with me on walks.

The miles go by a lot faster when you can just turn your brain off, forget all the worries of the world and just enjoy listening to your friends talk about games.

#63 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (754 posts) -

I love listening to music and discovering new bands. I'm also learning to play the guitar and I read books (mostly scifi stuff).

#64 Edited by jkz (4000 posts) -

I make music all the time (and listen to it whenever I'm not), although that's sort of risen above the level of hobby now (started as one though). That's a really rewarding thing even if you just listen back to what you make yourself, and file it away.

Beyond that? Photography's awesome in the ways it gives you a new lens (literally and figuratively) to look at the world through, and I find sculpture really useful as the artistic equivalent of yoga (this coming from someone with absolutely no talent in the artform).

Oh and reading. There's always more books / articles / encyclopedia entries to be read, but then I assume that one already came to mind.

#65 Posted by RespitefortheLovelorn (17 posts) -

Music.I suggest picking up an accessible instrument and try learning theory.I know theory sounds awful, but it can really help.If you just want to play right away, mess around til you find notes that sound good together.You can also look up tabs.

#66 Posted by RespitefortheLovelorn (17 posts) -

I also read books when I can concentrate.I like reading fantasy, classics, and sometimes sci-fi.Try researching genres you think you might like and go from there.

#67 Posted by TehPickle (441 posts) -

Random suggestions, most of which I have tried in the past and got tired of, or continue to enjoy:

• Learn a musical instrument - I'd recommend a few months of lessons at least to get basics and keep you motivated. After that you can easily keep going yourself.
  • Learn a programming languange - Just get a big chunky book or find a good internet resource, and you're good to go.
  • Knitting / Crochet - If the fancy takes you, you could make cute little arigurumi figures a la:
  • Making / Painting miniature figures / vehicles such as Games Workshop stuff, or Airfix models
  • Reading
  • Cooking
  • Drawing / Painting - You could paint by numbers if you don't know where to start
  • Excercise - It can be surprisingly addictive once you get started.

#68 Posted by hippocrit (231 posts) -

Dat az. And cooking. They go together.

#69 Edited by Basm321 (125 posts) -

@chop: I work at a topographic map store, good sir. I dare say you might find the place enticing.

OT: I go hiking, camping, and plant identifying.

#70 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (527 posts) -

I think hobbies that enable you to make useful and/or cool stuff for yourself are a good place to start. If you take up woodworking, for example, you can build yourself some bookshelves or a table that meet your needs exactly, rather than buying some garbage $30 particle board furniture. Or with the knitting thing, you can make some gloves and a beanie that incorporate video game characters or something. It seems easier to learn new stuff when you have a goal in mind that can benefit yourself.

#71 Edited by h0lgr (908 posts) -

Go out running in parks or in a forest and stop to take pictures.
Alternatively (hard core mode), if you don't like photography, only stop to do pushups. If you can't do any more pushups, you have to keep running instead.

#72 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

I like to draw, watch movies, play with my dogs, and listen to music when I'm not playing video games.

#73 Edited by stryker1121 (1327 posts) -

You like making things and you like to drink -- have you thought about beer brewing? Could be cost prohibitive, though..otherwise, what about journaling, or some form of creative writing?And I'd also suggest any kind of exercise, even something you can do at home if you're people-averse. Though it would be cool if you can get yourself up to meet some folks and do something chill like yoga.

As for me, cuz that's what you came here for, right, I enjoy basketball and tennis. I write for a living and for fun, and like any douchebag writer worth his or her salt, I just finished the first draft of a novel. I also enjoy reading, listening to music and watching serial dramas i.e. GoT, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk and Justified.

#74 Posted by TooWalrus (13132 posts) -

@christoffer: ...I may have just figured out what I want to do with my life. And my name is Chris, too. Are you me from the future? Am I successful?

#75 Edited by VictorK (70 posts) -

I enjoy playing badminton with my friends. That is probably my favourite sport, just ahead of tennis.

#76 Posted by EVO (3851 posts) -

Skateboarding. Go outside and make some friends.

#77 Posted by SomberOwl (630 posts) -

@sexytoad: I've seen some of this before and it's pretty cool. I might give that a shot.

#78 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (450 posts) -

I enjoy a few holes of golf from time to time. Football is alright if you pick a team and stick with it. I also enjoy drawing pixel art even if I'm not that good at it.

#79 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

I go to the gym and run 5 days a week. It's nice

#80 Posted by Doltz (31 posts) -

I downhill ski and mountain bike. I also enjoy cooking... I have a chemistry degree and find that choking is just an experiment that you get to eat!

#81 Posted by Carryboy (627 posts) -

Do you even lift brah?

#82 Posted by TobbRobb (4555 posts) -

Obsessively chat with people online in desperate fear of being alone. Er. I mean....

Outside of playing games when I'm alone I watch anime "western shows/movies more rarely", read scientific articles or dumb blogs and comics, watch MOBA streams, or play around with tech. Which could either mean building something hardware-wise or just troubleshoot/improve software. I have broken and fixed so many computer related things just to spend time that it's ridiculous. I think a lot of what I find enjoyable in what I do is a bit niche compared to how most people tend to look at "fun", so maybe I'm not the most efficient role model. But, hey. Maybe you are part of my niche. Go open something up and figure out what makes it work! It's fun I swear!

#83 Posted by Yesiamaduck (888 posts) -

You like making things and you like to drink -- have you thought about beer brewing? Could be cost prohibitive, though..otherwise, what about journaling, or some form of creative writing?And I'd also suggest any kind of exercise, even something you can do at home if you're people-averse. Though it would be cool if you can get yourself up to meet some folks and do something chill like yoga.

As for me, cuz that's what you came here for, right, I enjoy basketball and tennis. I write for a living and for fun, and like any douchebag writer worth his or her salt, I just finished the first draft of a novel. I also enjoy reading, listening to music and watching serial dramas i.e. GoT, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk and Justified.

To be fair from what I've done thus far with beer brewing I find it not really a hobby that'll take up a lot of your time, you mix it up and leave for a week... then you put it in a container and leave it for 2 weeks. But then you get to get drunk... right? Cant wait for that part :D

#84 Posted by Joystick_Hero (29 posts) -

You like making things and you like to drink -- have you thought about beer brewing? Could be cost prohibitive, though...

Once you get up and running, you can make gallons of awesome flavored beer for less than a 24 pack of Coors. Just sayin'.

#85 Posted by CornBREDX (4757 posts) -

I go to movies some times. Or read. Or write.

A hobby is just something you do to pass the time so just about anything can technically be a hobby. Some people read, some people watch TV then blog about it, some people go to bars, some people watch sports, some people gamble, some people build weirdly intricate train sets, some people make youtube videos, etc. I can go on and on.

Find something you like and just do it and it becomes a hobby. When you're lucky, sometimes a hobby can become a job and then you make money off doing something you enjoy. Just sayin'.

#86 Posted by erhard (380 posts) -

I read.

#87 Posted by Nux (2294 posts) -

I play D&D and I'm also a DM. Does that count?

#88 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1223 posts) -

I dabble in paintball, golf and skateboarding. Next year I'm going to try to learn piano, archery and brewing beer.

I used to draw a lot but have lost the creative spark, and my shooting was hampered by the great ammo drought of '13.

#89 Posted by Edin899 (627 posts) -

@devil240z:

I go airgun shooting alot,

Sounds silly but pellet airguns can be alot of fun!

And they can do a bit of damage, shoot up to 100 yards of you want.

#90 Posted by Hew7 (50 posts) -

I run every day (except Sundays) so that takes quite a bit of time out of my day. Even though you don't like going outside, a bit of exercise with all that gaming would be a good thing; it helps to clear my head.

#91 Edited by HerbieBug (4197 posts) -

If you want to do model building, maybe start with ships. Like historical sailing ships. They are very detailed and take quite a while to complete.

In regards to musical instruments and drawing, i have sunk many many years into both of those things, and I will say that they are not something you can really do casually as a side hobby. With either, best results are achieved if one or the other is your Hobby, capital H, and singular, and only. I was so involved with drawing I went to university for it, got the degree, and worked as an illustrator for a while. And then quit (long story). With music, i pick up the guitar every few months to arrange and learn a song or two, then set it aside for several months before going back to it. Anyway, both are a massive time commitment with very slow progress on returns.

Exercise, model building, and other more kinetic hobbies are much more satisfying and rewarding in the short term and work best as side hobbies.

#92 Edited by fisk0 (3778 posts) -

I'd recommend trying to get into making music. If you don't own or know how to play any musical instruments, there's plenty of free software around that could help you get started with the basics. I started off with tracker software, which was quite popular in the 80's and 90's and is commonly used in (but are not limited to) chiptune music.

Once you've got some experience with writing music like that you may want to learn to play some instruments, but starting off with free/open source sequencer software is a decent zero cost way to get started.

#93 Posted by Andareas (2 posts) -

I picked up playing the piano recently. It's pretty fun and challenging. I also play a lot of magic the gathering and board games in my spare time besides video games. Also if you pick up an instrument you can play your favorite video game music! Also you can play classics and whatever music you like. Probably compose your own stuff if you get good enough. Best of luck with your new hobby and have a happy new year since I'm gone the next couple of days.

#94 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2305 posts) -

Reading, I guess? Is that considered a hobby now?

Am I a "wordie"? I don't want to be a wordie.

#95 Edited by Ravelle (1173 posts) -

Reading comics and books but I buy more books than I actually read them.

I also like to just boot up Spotify and browse the related artist feature.

#96 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

I dance Argentine Tango almost every day for a couple of hours. You get to meet ladies and other nice people and it keeps you fit. I can't recommend it enough, although depending on where you are there might not be much of an argentine tango community near you.

#97 Edited by fetchfox (1217 posts) -

Papercraft/origami is pretty great, but you've got to have a lot of patience.

#98 Posted by ninnanuam (258 posts) -

I carve Tiki's and cook.

#99 Edited by ozzdog12 (856 posts) -
#100 Edited by GnomeonFire (694 posts) -

Reading is pretty awesome, as is writing. I do a lot of 3D modeling as well which is a good way to use up an entire afternoon without realizing it.