Do you have an aftermarket double-DIN A/V in your car?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I've been looking to install a double-DIN after market stereo in my Ford Escape. I have the following choices:

Do any Duders have any of these units? If not what do you think of Boss, Jensen, Blaupunkt, or Clarion in your own vehicle? The Parrot is really a special case since it more Android device in your dash...but if you have one of those I'd like to hear from you too.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I always just keep stock stereos, but whatever you do, please don't be that guy who ends up with an A/V system that is worth more than the car it's installed in!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: LOL. No, I'm trying to keep hardware and installation below $700. My car if worth $20,000... and just so you know where I live has an EXTREMELY low incidence of car break-ins. Unlike other places, I would not be worried about having a $500 system in my car because honestly nobody would take it even if the door was unlocked.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I have a Kenwood Double DIN that I really like. In the past I've had Jensen (Decent quality for the price), and Clarion (bit over-rated but still nice sound). If you can try and play with a few of them in some stores in your area. I would mainly look for decent wattage, and any features that are REALLY important to you (bluetooth, PGS, ect...)

The Unit I have Kenwood DDX371 (bluetooth connects to my iPhone) and doesn't have GPS (I prefer the one on my phone). And It's around the same price as some of the others you were looking at.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a Kenwood Double DIN that I really like. In the past I've had Jensen (Decent quality for the price), and Clarion (bit over-rated but still nice sound). If you can try and play with a few of them in some stores in your area. I would mainly look for decent wattage, and any features that are REALLY important to you (bluetooth, PGS, ect...)

The Unit I have Kenwood DDX371 (bluetooth connects to my iPhone) and doesn't have GPS (I prefer the one on my phone). And It's around the same price as some of the others you were looking at.

I like the Kenwood units because they do have physical buttons too, large ones. But most of the less expensive Kenwoods that fit my car and can use my steering wheel buttons are 'Factory Refurbished'. But, I do like the buttons and that they use Garmin navigation as the base. I too currently use my Android phone for Nav, but I would like a bigger screen and a dedicated GPS antenna that picks up signal better when under top cover.

The big thing in car units now is smartphone integration, using your phone apps/data connection in the car. Some of the stereos do that, some don't, but it seems like the next big thing. The thing I want is the one that is EASIEST to update firmware. I read from a lot of review that 'updates' can be a pain with some units, and that stereos just like all computerized thing these days need updates.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mb said:

I always just keep stock stereos, but whatever you do, please don't be that guy who ends up with an A/V system that is worth more than the car it's installed in!

I'm in that position, but only because a co-worker sold me my car for $100, while a friend sold me my audio equipment for $125.