• 53 results
#1 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

I was just wondering how tied the Giant Bomb community is to this industry we love.

I went to college with a girl that became an Audio Designer and Producer at a studio particularly loved by Giant Bomb. I did some focus-testing on unreleased products for them, thanks to that. It will be cool to see if they use any of my suggestions/ideas in the final game (they seemed pretty excited by some of them, and others they hinted at prototyping already).

I also nearly got a Sales/PR job at High Voltage Software (the guys who made The Conduit for the Wii). I was their second choice, unfortunately.

I've got a steady job now as a Paralegal, but I've been looking around thinking about applying for some Writing or Associate Producer jobs at a few studios, just on a whim.

#2 Edited by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

By the rule of Six Degrees of Separation, yes. Personally, no.

Edit: I take it you haven't actually figured out what you want to do with your life yet. You should be doing what you want to be doing for the next 10-20 years. If legal is what you like, then stick with that. If you want to do something creative then go find a job that allows for it.

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Nope. I mostly just do PM talks with Patrick or on twitter. I'm not looking for a job in the games industry so I'm not looking to make connections. I mostly just want to talk to game industry folks that I respect and even some game devs.

#4 Edited by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Yo my uncle works for Nintendo...

#5 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Adam Boyes

He's the man

#6 Edited by Delsaber (198 posts) -

I worked with a very small indie developer on-and-off over the last ten years or so. Very small as in there were only three of us with anything resembling a semi-permanent position, boss included, plus random contractors when the need arose. So we all wore a ton of different hats.

We didn't produce anything game-wise that I'd feel 100% comfortable linking to, however. System utilities and small apps were/still are the bread and butter there. We never considered ourselves to be "in the industry" or anything like that.

#7 Posted by Piperium (9 posts) -

I've been in the industry for a few years now and several of my friends from school have gone into it too (artists and programmers). I got my start as QA, worked up to a Lead, and am now an AP. Little biased here, but if you can get an AP job, go for it. You have your hands in so many different parts of the development and business side of things that you learn a lot and learn it quickly.

#8 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

I work at Gamestop.

#9 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@Piperium: Do you find that most AP's start in QA? Or do they often hire AP's from outside of the company/industry?

(This thread really wasn't supposed to be about this, but I'm interested now, haha.)

#10 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I nearly ruined the life of one of the most talented artist that ever worked at Ubisoft Montreal.

#11 Posted by Gunslinger0130 (224 posts) -

I don't, I work as an art director for an ad agency but I've sat down with a handful of producers for different (mostly Facebook style) game studios over the last year to talk shop and discuss the realities of career hopping at this stage in the game.  Still trying to figure out what role would be best suited to my particular skill set but haven't quite got there yet, hoping I'll make it happen one day, I've got the connections, just need to figure out how to plug into them.

#12 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Maybe...

#13 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@Gunslinger0130: Oh yeah, in that sense, I guess I've worked on contracts with game companies; Xbox, Activision, etc. No real interaction though, just reading over and enforcing contracts they've signed.

#14 Posted by Wacomole (819 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Gunslinger0130: Oh yeah, in that sense, I guess I've worked on contracts with game companies; Xbox, Activision, etc. No real interaction though, just reading over and enforcing contracts they've signed.

Games companies always need lawyers

#15 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@MoleyUK: True, but I'm not much of a lawyer. Paralegal is a pretty meaningless term. This isn't necessarily a job-focused thread though. I was wondering if people knew people at companies, or if they had ever visited a studio for any reason, really any kind of connection. Thought it might be interesting to hear some stories.

#16 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I know a guy who works at Playdead and I know a few who works for IO Interactive. 
A close friend of mine got a job at EA, he had to move out of the country and everything. 

That must be weird having to do that, what if it goes tits up and you get fired? 

#17 Posted by Atlas (2444 posts) -

My cousin's step-sister works for a marketing company that worked on the UK advertising campaign for games like Spec Ops: The Line and L.A. Noire.

Yeah, so not so much.

#18 Posted by ozzdog12 (861 posts) -

I ran a gaming/entertainment website(now defunct) and we were in close contact with PopCap and by close I mean exchanging emails and two phone conversations. They actually sent us a review copy of Bejeweled 3. That's about as close as I've gotten.

I've also worked at Gamestop haha

#19 Posted by Firecreed17 (52 posts) -

I do motion graphics and got to work on an E3 trailer but thats about it.

#20 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Ken Levine owes me.

#21 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

No :(

#22 Posted by Piperium (9 posts) -

@Wrighteous86: It's pretty evenly split at the mobile games companies I've worked at. Most of the producers I've worked with are older than me so they got started in the opening days of J2ME and BREW at smaller companies and under less "business"-y oversight, but they came from QA. I'd say the newer guys I've met still have people from QA but it's less frequent at big companies. If you're looking at startups or indie companies, you're probably more likely to find people that got started in QA, but even at the biggest company I worked for, I never worked with a producer that started on the business side and then switched over to production. When I was aiming to make the jump from QA to production, I talked to one of my producers about his education/where he got started and he laughed at me when I asked how much business training he had. Everybody seems to say that the creative side of production is what's important and then you learn the business side as you build up your skills. Another piece of advice my producer gave me is that you have to be prepared to change companies to move up in the industry (which I had to do). From the people I know, you get started in your area and move up its ranks but if you want to change departments, you're probably going to have to change companies. So I built up my resume and skills from QA to QA Lead at one job but to move from Lead to AP, I had to change companies. I had tried at my previous company to move up, but from an HR-perspective, I had to get so many managers involved and agreeing on things that it probably never would have happened. They knew I was good at QA so they didn't want me to leave it. My manager supported me in moving to an art role, his boss and his boss's both agreed to it, but somebody in another department didn't agree to it and the position was cancelled without me knowing.

All of this is likely to be different depending on what kind of company you're looking at. If you're applying at Zynga, they probably want business education first and creativity second.

Another thing you have to keep an eye out for if you're trying to go the QA-route, is that A LOT of companies only hire QA contractors. I've been lucky and only had jobs at companies that keep a full-time QA staff, but a lot of QA people I've met along the way have only ever had contractor roles. Just ignoring the disparities in pay, health insurance, etc, full-time QA seems to get more respect and is more likely to be promoted. If you're full-time, you get to know your manager over the years, prove your abilities, and prove you're right for a new job. If you're contract, you could be done in a few months and you have to prove yourself all over again.

That was long. Hopefully there's an answer for you, somewhere in there!

#23 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Um, I play video games...does that count?

#24 Posted by MattSchwabby (117 posts) -

I work for the Software arm of one of the big 3 console manufacturers so I run into people in the games business regularly at company functions.

#25 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Jeff, Ryan, Drew and Coonce have all contacted me at one point, I remember Ryan's the most.

We discussed the ins and outs of Blueberry pancakes.

#26 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@Hizang: THEY contacted YOU about blueberry pancakes? Haha. Where do they stand on the subject?

#27 Posted by psylah (2175 posts) -

The game industry is deeply connected to my wallet.

#28 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Hizang: THEY contacted YOU about blueberry pancakes? Haha. Where do they stand on the subject?

Ryan didn't seem to be too keen with the blueberries on the pancake as opposed to them being in the pancake, it freaked him out.

#29 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1435 posts) -

Top secret.

#30 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6298 posts) -

Back in high school me and my friends used to throw buckets of water at Gabe Nowell whenever he would come around the corner, yell "BITCH TITS!" and run away as he begrudgingly wiped drops of dirty janitor water from his bifocals.

#31 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I played EQ with the son of the guy who drew the EQ elf.

Oh, and I masturbate to Mario being raped by Bowser.

#32 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Personally, at one time I did want a job at Bethesda Softworks, down the street. But then, I kind of grew out of it (I think it was because of Jeff, and probably because after 2008 every single game company started laying off people). My cousin makes middleware, for network code used in EA games. But other then that no.

#33 Posted by thomasnash (556 posts) -

My dad's company does/has done translation work for various companies. The only two that I know they still do are World of Warcraft (probably their biggest contract) and Runescape. When I was younger we had tons of games that his company had translated kicking around. Mostly edutainment stuff (super solvers stick in my memory in particular) but I also remember a collection of games that had like, Journeyman Chronicles and Megarace, which they probably only translated the manuals for or something. I'm pretty sure I remember him bringing back a Psygnosis game, an afterburner style shooter with a badass spaceship.

So yeah, that's the best I can do. I vaguely knew someone from another forum who worked at Ninja Theory, but I never met him even though he only lived round the corner from me at the time.

#34 Posted by Milkman (16781 posts) -

I talked to Adam Boyes on the phone one time.

#35 Edited by Wacomole (819 posts) -

@Milkman said:

I talked to Adam Boyes on the phone one time.

He is indeed an awesome dude.

#36 Posted by BBAlpert (1468 posts) -

I lived across the hall from Josh Olin in the dorms at college, if that counts.

#37 Posted by DrFlapjack (234 posts) -

I'm trying! I've been to GDC a few times looking for a job and met some cool guys along the way.

#38 Posted by falserelic (5436 posts) -

FalseRelic ain't got no connection with the game industry. This saddens Relic but one day he hopes to have some involvement. He wants to be gang affiliated with Capcom, and show people some of the best DLC decisions this generation has ever seen.

#39 Posted by Megasoum (354 posts) -

I've been working in QA for almost 5 years now for one of the big publisher that has a studio here in Montréal. I was tester for a while and now moved to other positions within QA. It's a great industry to work in.

#40 Edited by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

I have a close friend who worked at G4BOX and now Capcom Mobile in addition to myself doing some marketing work for Rude Mud Games a few years back but that's about it lol.

#41 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Wasted a few years in college and a few of the people in my class got jobs in a tiny studio nearby.

#42 Posted by Franstone (1120 posts) -

Yes, I worked at Atari and Irrational Games doing QA in my quest to be a game designer.

Friend of mine is at Irrational still as design director, another works for Microsoft Games.

I ended up getting an IT job after completion of SWAT 4 at Irrational, then years later lost said job during an economic meltdown.

Awesome.

hahah

#43 Posted by adam1808 (1494 posts) -

I know Terence Lee, the guy who's doing the soundtrack for the Double Fine Adventure documentary and did the music for Dustforce, but that's only because I emailed the bloke and got talking.

#44 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

nope, i don't know anyone from video game industry.

#45 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

My friend's brother created some sound effects for Metroid Prime 2. He also worked for FUNimation for a while and his job was to make sure the syllables of the translated script matched the mouth movements of the video. So, no.

#46 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

I may have played a game of Brutal Legend against Tim Shaffer at one point...

#47 Posted by Shaka999 (475 posts) -

I was an intern at a very, very small indie flash developer. The game wasn't great, but I was the community manager for the most part and most of the community liked me. I really enjoyed that part of the job. Other than that, I used to write for a small website's wii section, but the section was up for like a week & then they took it down. Still, given that they'd basically say "hey look- someone wrote a news story on something, go report on it!" I don't think that really counts. Wasn't paid either (not that I expected compensation).

#48 Posted by Sjosz (485 posts) -

@Piperium: At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what does AP stand for? (I've been working in the industry for 6+ years and have no real idea what AP stands for, silly enough)

#49 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19335 posts) -

@Sjosz said:

@Piperium: At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what does AP stand for? (I've been working in the industry for 6+ years and have no real idea what AP stands for, silly enough)

Perhaps it stands for "Associate Producer".

#50 Posted by Piperium (9 posts) -

@Sjosz: Ooops, sorry. Yes, like Flux said, it was just abbreviating "Associate Producer".