Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you have cable? (286 votes)

I have a cable package of some kind 37%
I do not, I use my computer 60%
Mind your own business (see results) 3%

I am curious about this. I dont own a traditional TV, I just use my computer for everything combined with netflix etc. In Ireland, we have a thing called a TV license that funds our state run TV stations, but I avoid paying for that by using my computer instead.

• 
mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

In this rural backwater part of Canada we don't have cable access, only satellite.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not entirely sure.

In Korea, I pay about $20 a month for a 100Mb Internet connection and a box that sits next to the TV and pumps out about a hundred shitty channels that I rarely watch except for the occasional cheeseball action movie that they seem to love to broadcast 80 times over the course of one week and will leave all the swearing intact but blur out any references to smoking. It's not really "cable" exactly, but a close relative. If it would save me any money, I would probably just dump the TV side of the package entirely, but it's so cheap, who cares? I know someone who pays a little extra for the "dog channel" that shows dogs doing various activities over and over. Apparently their dog loves it. I guess we know what kind of intelligence TV requires now, don't we?

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cut cable 2 years ago when half of my channels were workout program infomercials on repeat. Got Netflix and crunchyroll and haven't looked back.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sinusoidal everything you just mentioned sounds amazing. Can I come to Korea and watch TV some time?

Krevee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Krevee

I just recently dropped my cable package last month. Now I only have the basic broadcast stations (ABC, NBC, etc.) and I use Hulu, and Netflix to watch TV/movies.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Naoiko

I have a antenna to pick up the local channels, but no cable or satellite. I mostly just watch 'tv' using the internet.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I do, and it's only because I like sports. If I could pay to stream just sports and drop the rest I would do it in a heartbeat.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By monkeyking1969

I cut the cord, and I can tell my Cable company does not like that, because they call me every two months with another outrageous offer to get cable. The only thing I miss is really event television....Final Four, Super Bowl, Oscars, Emmys, etc. When HBO Go is separated from cable I will subscribe to that separately. The new trick from Comcast is promising HBO go as it is now...buying a full cable package...with the lure of HBO Go.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

While I still have a couple TVs in the house, I cut the cord early this year and I'm loving it. The amount of money you save just having Netflix or Hulu is amazing. Now if only where I lived offered faster internet.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10 chaser324  Moderator

I dropped cable about three years ago. I do miss the sports and some of the other live events, but I don't exactly have a shortage of other entertainment options available.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have cable only because I moved less than a year ago and the Internet+TV package was cheaper than the internet only package for the first year. I've used it like 4 times in 9 months.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The things that I end up watching when I do watch stuff are not on Hulu or Netflix. I generally only watch Netflix though. Generally it's kinda a waste, but there are times when it is nice. I used to primarily use Hulu, but services like that I only like when I have access to everything all the time and it needs to be almost immediate. Hulu can't get that, cable gets somewhat closer IMO, but doesn't have the history. Netflix doesn't really have either but makes up in other ways I suppose.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Corevi

Nope, just Netflix and Crunchyroll. Will probably cancel Crunchyroll once Jojo's is over as well.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an aerial on my chimney but record (and watch later) far more stuff than I watch live. Also have a BT TV Entertainment subscription which I've never watched - They gave me a free year when I phoned up and told them I wanted to cancel BT Sport for my TV.

After the year's up I'm definitely cancelling unless they offer me a speedboat or something.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rethla

In Sweden we have state run but not state controlled so called "public service" TV wich everyone pays a fee for. its really hard to avoid it since they stream their stuff on internet aswell so everyone with acomputer has to pay, i think they are trying to get everyone with a radio or a smartphone to pay aswell but im not up to date with that stuff as i dont care.

I enjoy it very much though. Its awesome to watch stuff like Football, Hockey, OG, racing and so on ad free open TV and all considered its pretty cheap. They also provide neutral cover of elections and so on, its not propaganda stuff.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I have cable, mostly because of the extortion racket Charter runs with their prices and service. You pretty much have two options:

(a) Pay for internet by itself, for which they charge a 100 bajillion dollars a month for snail-slow speeds that work half the days out of the month, or;

(b) Pay for internet AND cable, for which they charge 125 bajillion dollars a month, but you get faster internet speeds and it actually tends to work more often than not.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not entirely sure.

In Korea, I pay about $20 a month for a 100Mb Internet connection and a box that sits next to the TV and pumps out about a hundred shitty channels that I rarely watch except for the occasional cheeseball action movie that they seem to love to broadcast 80 times over the course of one week and will leave all the swearing intact but blur out any references to smoking. It's not really "cable" exactly, but a close relative. If it would save me any money, I would probably just dump the TV side of the package entirely, but it's so cheap, who cares? I know someone who pays a little extra for the "dog channel" that shows dogs doing various activities over and over. Apparently their dog loves it. I guess we know what kind of intelligence TV requires now, don't we?

Sounds so good. I'd happily pay for that.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sterling

I just canceled my Satellite service. I signed up for SlingTV (which is owned by Dish Network), so I can stream ESNP and some other sports channels. It also has TNT, TBS, USA and some other channels. its really all I need. Its $20 a month.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, All the norwegian channels I might want to watch all have netflix like subscriber services anyway. So if there is something I wanna watch I just pay for a month.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not, mainly because I know where to get some free cable channels. I also only ever watched fights on cable, plus the UFC pay per views can be bought through other means like my Roku. I loved cutting that chord.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have cable. I've been tempted to cut the cord, but there's so much good TV to watch!

I tell you what though, if the DVR is ever made illegal, or if the ability to fast forward through commercials is somehow compromised, I'll cut the cord in a nanosecond. There's no fucking way on Earth I'd watch TV without a DVR.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only get so-so internet where I live, which means while I *can* watch netflix and online stuff it's typically only good enough for one source to watch it in the house at a single time, then there are the days where it cuts out or gets really slow. So it's kind of not a great option to get rid of right now.

Also there are a lot of shows I watch and it's nice to have them just there, on the t.v.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sports, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and instant Netflix's inability to seem to get a lot of recent movies keeps me stuck with cable. Also, last time I called TWC to cut back my services they literally cut $60 off my combined cable and internet bill and told me that if my bill ever became too high again then just call back and they would find similar ways to cut my price without losing any services.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta have my sports.

waterfallsuite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live out on the Eastern Shore of VA and the only options are Verizon DSL and Charter Cable. We have Charter and pay their 'normal' rate, only there isn't a fiber line across to where we live, so it's usually around 12/7mbps on a good day. We don't have their cable package (SD only), but even with that connection we still use the chromecast and PS3 for streaming regularly. GB premium streams are usually almost completely unwatchable, but thankfully the archives have been super fast! We've been staying in a house with cable for a little bit though, and honestly the only nice part is watching Better Call Saul as it comes out (and for free!)

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Budwyzer

@naoiko said:

I have a wireless antenna to pick up the local channels, but no cable or satellite. I mostly just watch 'tv' using the internet.

What the hell is a wireless antenna? You mean satellite? I guess they're technically antennas that aren't wired to you...

We have an antenna, wired to my TVs of course, and use the internet to find shows to watch. TheCW has the last 5 episodes of shows on their website and other stations do similar things. If you want current programming then that's the way to go as far as I'm concerned. ABCs player automatically pauses the show when it comes back from commercials, so when a commercial comes on just go to the bathroom or whatever and nothing will have been missed when you finally come back.

Amazon Prime's stuff is pretty good. I finally went back and watched Quantum Leap.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never paid for cable myself, and I only had it for two years of my childhood. I just can't deal with how clunky and slow cable set-top boxes are.

I supposedly have a 100 mbps connection from Charter, but it's a little shaky. I'm in a fairly big apartment building, so my actual bandwidth depends on how many other people in the building are using their internet. I'm hoping things are a little smoother when I move into a new place in May. When it works, though, having that kind of bandwidth is really nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I "have" DISH, except right now I have it on hold, not sure if I ever want to renew it or if I'll just buyout my contract.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Naoiko

@budwyzer: XD that was a goof on my part due to multitasking. It's wired hahaah. Whoops!

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cut the cord, and I can tell my Cable company does not like that, because they call me every two months with another outrageous offer to get cable. The only thing I miss is really event television....Final Four, Super Bowl, Oscars, Emmys, etc. When HBO Go is separated from cable I will subscribe to that separately. The new trick from Comcast is promising HBO go as it is now...buying a full cable package...with the lure of HBO Go.

Wait, you can only get HBO Go if you already subscribe to HBO through a cable provider? That sounds like some top shelf bullshit.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

Nope, just Netflix and Crunchyroll. Will probably cancel Crunchyroll once Jojo's is over as well.

You are a terrible person. That said if they keep making JoJo and advance into the new stories past Stardust Crusaders it will literally be years before you cancel.

That said. I have some variety of cable... I also happen to get it for a heinous discount due to reasons. If it were just me and no one else in the home had a say, plus I weren't getting that heinous discount, I would just be using internet based sub services as well.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:
@corevi said:

You are a terrible person. That said if they keep making JoJo and advance into the new stories past Stardust Crusaders it will literally be years before you cancel.

I'll renew it when a show that interests me/Diamond is Unbreakable starts up. There's plenty of anime on Netflix I haven't seen yet so why should I keep a subscription for something I'm not gonna use?

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

I haven't had cable since I moved out on my own. I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and I use my parents' cable subscription for HBO Go and Watch ESPN.

That's all I need.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Karkarov

@corevi said:

I'll renew it when a show that interests me/Diamond is Unbreakable starts up. There's plenty of anime on Netflix I haven't seen yet so why should I keep a subscription for something I'm not gonna use?

I was just kinda being silly but in all seriousness if you do like anime Netflix is not what you want. Other than Knights of Sidonia all Netflix has is last years Funimation shows. So if a person is an "anime" fan they really should go with Crunchyroll, Funimation, or both which is surprisingly cheaper than you might imagine especially if you are okay with subs as sub only viewers pay less on Funimation.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Corevi

@karkarov: Sure, but I haven't seen some of the stuff that is on Netflix, so while I'm working my way through that I don't need a second and certainly not a third anime service.

I like anime but I don't watch a lot of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've got DirectTV, which is satellite. I guess it's slightly better than cable? It's kind of an absolute piece of shit when it rains.

Honestly, if the internet companies didn't completely ignore us and give us speeds that would allow for smooth video streaming I think we would drop it in a heartbeat. I only ever watch like three channels.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

If Netflix was anywhere as good as it was five years ago, no. But now Netflix is just reality TV, creepy vegetarian anti abortion 9/11 conspiracy legalize child marriage documentaries made by any random asshole with a Flip Camcorder, and 60s sexploitation trash.

Cable TV however has become all about movies. The package with all the movie channels HBO Starz Cinemax Shotime Epix Encore TMC and two room DVR was only $50-$60 more than Internet alone, with no cable box rental fees, so I went back to cable. Once my prepaid Amazon, Hulu, Netflix expire in a couple of months, I'm never renewing.

Just today I wanted to watch Rocky 4 again which I had only watched like three months ago on Netflix, but it's gone. but it airs tonight on Starz and I can DVR and enjoy Drew and Dan tomorrow. And not having the brad problem of antennae not picking up half the channels, or watching live sports via web streams with the same commercial repeated every time, I have no regrets. Cables fine.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Noooope. Everything I would wanna watch is available online in some form.

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have cable. I work as a producer at a sports radio station, so being able to watch games/events and having access to channels like MLB/NFL Networks and ESPN is kind of a necessity for my job.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zeik

Yes, but only because my dad pays for it. I hardly even watch it, so no way I would pay for it myself. Netflix and Hulu and stuff generally serve my TV watching purposes much better.

Edit: Technically I have dish network, not cable, but same difference.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I haven't owned cable for 8 years and haven't missed it for one day. When I go home to my parents and turn on the TV I get bored after the second commercial break watching a TV show that's been on repeat for years.

@rachelepithet: I don't know what you've been watching but last night I watched It's Always Sunny and Comedy Bang Bang on Netflix.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Netflix was anywhere as good as it was five years ago, no. But now Netflix is just reality TV, creepy vegetarian anti abortion 9/11 conspiracy legalize child marriage documentaries made by any random asshole with a Flip Camcorder, and 60s sexploitation trash.

*scratches head in extreme confusion*

I'm pretty sure you haven't actually used Netflix in the past 5 years if you think that

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I work for a cable company (it's not the evil Time Warner or Comcast) so I get the top tier package for free. I'm looking to get another job and move in a few months so I'll lose my free cable. I've worked out the math and I can watch everything I do currently if I add a Hulu subscription and a digital tuner for much cheaper than what cable would cost.

lebdath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just "cut the cord" from Directv yesterday. I am planning on using an antenna for local channels with a Tivo Box to record shows. I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I live in the corn fields of Illinois, so my internet is not always reliable for streaming. 3Mbps does not give me a lot of bandwidth during busy times.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TravisRex

@splodge: I feel like you need more options, the only reason why I have cable is because it comes with the apartment complex I live in.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BurBan_Snake

I actually sell cable for time warner for a living as a door to door rep... You'd be surprised at how many people are still buying cable for hundreds of dollars a month. I thought it was dying out - but it's actually quite the opposite. Also as a side note, selling cable is sick.. Working around 20 hours a week on my own schedule and making around 50K+ annually, it's definitely a profitable business.,

What actually surprises me most is that I sell more single play cable packages than solo Internet packages

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By penguindust

I have Direct TV and I like it well enough for background chatter. Except for the occasional sporting event, I mainly watch it to zone out. Umpteenth viewings of the Simpsons, Gravity Falls, Mythbusters, etc... If I am interested in actually being focused on a show, I watch it on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. I have all 3 and use them as my "real" TV. I don't live alone, though and so the DirectTV is really for the other members of the household.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I do have a cable package but I use my computer mostly of my entertainment needs.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@corevi said:

I was just kinda being silly but in all seriousness if you do like anime Netflix is not what you want. Other than Knights of Sidonia all Netflix has is last years Funimation shows. So if a person is an "anime" fan they really should go with Crunchyroll, Funimation, or both which is surprisingly cheaper than you might imagine especially if you are okay with subs as sub only viewers pay less on Funimation.

There are people fan enough of Anime to pay for a subscription, but only if it gets them dubbed shows? I thought most people hated dubs?

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@alexw00d said:

@karkarov said:

@corevi said:

There are people fan enough of Anime to pay for a subscription, but only if it gets them dubbed shows? I thought most people hated dubs?

Whenever you look at the comments on hulu or netflix for anime shows that are subbed or have a later season that's only subbed available the majority of comments are "bring on the dubs!".