• 96 results
#1 Posted by CastroCasper (1401 posts) -
#2 Posted by CastroCasper (1401 posts) -

I have began to notice that I am turning on my computer a handful of times a day and I think it might just be easier to leave it on always, but I don't want to run up my power bill or cook my computer. What do you do?

#3 Posted by ESREVER (2821 posts) -

Yep, pretty much. Makes my room toasty. A little too toasty...

#4 Posted by CL60 (17120 posts) -

Yes, it's always on.

#5 Edited by phrosnite (3509 posts) -

No. It's on for 12-15 hours a day every day and I turn it off when I go to sleep.

#6 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8553 posts) -

My computer sleeps alot, it's always lazy. Don't turn if off, but sleep mode is always on

#7 Posted by Napalm (9230 posts) -

Yeah, I do. I mean, I shut down power-consuming applications and the like, but for the most time I just leave it on. There's no sense in powering down and powering up several times a day, even several times a week.

#8 Posted by ToxicFruit (1885 posts) -

I usually turn it of when i sleep

#9 Posted by N7 (3826 posts) -

I do, but I have this problem where, about after six hours of being on, all of the images on my computer start disappearing and things quit working. Like, for instance, all websites will be completely blank and the start button disappears.

It's pretty weird, but whatever. I usually use my computer on and off throughout the day so I just leave it on.

#10 Posted by Azteck (7416 posts) -

I used to do that, but I don't want to power bill to sky-rocket so I set up a program that turns it off at 4:30am for me on week-nights, that way I don't have to bother with it and by the time it turns off I'm already asleep and can't use it anyway. I do it from time to time anyway though.

#11 Posted by animateria (3302 posts) -

The one that's not my gaming rig is on constantly but I still turn it off before I go to sleep.

#12 Posted by Creigz (197 posts) -

I don't even reboot it unless 100% necessary.

#13 Posted by Vlademir (1083 posts) -
@kurtdyoung said:
I have began to notice that I am turning on my computer a handful of times a day and I think it might just be easier to leave it on always, but I don't want to run up my power bill or cook my computer. What do you do?
I'd suggest leaving it on during the day and then turning it off at night to conserve power.
#14 Posted by TheGreatGuero (8882 posts) -

I turn it off every night.

#15 Posted by ZimboDK (863 posts) -

Yep, it's always on, and has been for years now.

#16 Posted by zoozilla (1000 posts) -

I usually put it on Stand By instead of completely shutting down, though I still do that when I go to sleep.

#17 Posted by skittles (179 posts) -

Since my last power bill I've been trying not to leave my computer on all the time. I'm sure there are other, larger contributing factors like the downlights throughout the house, and the clothes drier, but every little bit helps.

I used to leave it on for days/weeks at a time though. I still leave my gear at work switched on permanently too.

#18 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1389 posts) -

I only turn it on when I use it, which is usually when I get in and I'm usually on it till late.

I couldn't leave it on all night...

#19 Posted by chrismafuchris (1154 posts) -

I would feel terrible leaving it on. I wouldn't be able to sleep.

#20 Posted by supermike6 (3767 posts) -

Yes, literally always. I only turn it off when I have to update something and even then I procrastinate a lot before doing so.

#21 Posted by Bennyishere (1746 posts) -
@chrismafuchris said:
I would feel terrible leaving it on. I wouldn't be able to sleep.
I literally can not sleep with it on because I start thinking about it. It's like it's whispering "kill me, kiiilll meeee".
#22 Edited by Fattony12000 (7944 posts) -

I have no idea when this business of keeping your shit on, or in some kind of standby mode, became de rigueur. When you're done, you turn it off to save power, get rid of heat, wipe memory, and generally chill shit out for next time round. It takes about 20/30 seconds to turn on a PC these days anyway.

#23 Posted by Samael2138 (249 posts) -

I just put mine in sleep. When I go to sleep....  

So I guess my computer doesn't get much sleep.

Maybe thats why its being cranky with The Witcher 2, lol

#24 Posted by SMTDante89 (2732 posts) -

Like others have said, I leave it on once I'm up but when I (or whoever is using it last) goes to sleep, one of us turns it off.

#25 Posted by ryanwho (12012 posts) -

Only if its winter time cus I'm too cheap to turn on the heat most days and letting your laptop get too cold can be more damaging than letting it overheat.

#26 Posted by GalacticGravy (664 posts) -

It sleeps on its own when I'm not home. I don't know if that counts but frankly, even if it didn't do that I'd still leave it on. 

#27 Edited by Kandycane2029 (517 posts) -

Always. I don't like  to wait for start up in the morning before I go to work.

#28 Posted by TheSuperPickle (12 posts) -

Always, yet I have good reason when my GPU is overclocking Folding@Home 24/7

#29 Posted by Jasta (2232 posts) -

Yup, it's gotten to the point that I instantly notice the lack of fan buzz in my room if its turned off.

#30 Posted by Contro (2346 posts) -

No, I have a Skeleton rig.

#31 Posted by Gamer_152 (14284 posts) -

I turn it off pretty much any time I'm not using it. Leaving it on would not only do nasty things to the power bill and just be environmentally irresponsible.

#32 Edited by Ocean_H (283 posts) -

Almost always on because of downloads.

#33 Posted by wefwefasdf (6730 posts) -

I leave my laptop on all the time if you count putting it to sleep. My gaming computer creates too much heat for me to leave on all the time... I would burn.

#34 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1517 posts) -

I only turn it off at night. It wakes up when I do and gets turned off as I go to bed.

It's not a good idea to turn it on/off several times a day. Startup is hard on cold components, and everything expands as it heats up and consequently constricts when it cools back down (turned off).

#35 Posted by PK_Koopa (593 posts) -

Hell no. I have school to go to and I just can't sleep at night knowing that my laptop is still on. My laptop is getting real old too, and it's overheating quicker than usual.

#36 Posted by Barrock (3763 posts) -

Sleep mode is an amazing thing.

#37 Posted by miniturehero (36 posts) -

I leave all my PCs and Macs on all the time, mainly because they're rendering videos all the time

#38 Posted by MrKlorox (11142 posts) -

Always on. And currently my power button on my NZXT Tempest case is stuck, so I don't dare let it turn off. It'll be a bitch to take most of the components out so I can reach the screws to take the inside of the case apart and fix the button. Next time I lose power, I'm gonna try the keyboard or USB power-on jumpers. NZXT has a flaw in their manufacturing since this seems to be relatively common, according to forums.

#39 Posted by Beforet (2991 posts) -

You use about as much power going from an off state to on as you do keeping it on for a few hours. I keep it on.

#40 Posted by zyn (2765 posts) -

No.  It's only on when I use it.

#41 Posted by dungbootle (2501 posts) -

Nope, I don't even like the slightest noise while I sleep.

#42 Posted by Mike76x (559 posts) -
@Fattony12000 said:
I have no idea when this business of keeping your shit on, or in some kind of standby mode, became de rigueur. When you're done, you turn it off to save power, get rid of heat, wipe memory, and generally chill shit out for next time round. It takes about 20/30 seconds to turn on a PC these days anyway.
Exactly, I only turn my PC on when I need it. Simple things I can do from my couch on my iPod touch.
I also have a PCI slot vent fan since my system overheated a few years back, and I don't like hearing it when I'm away from my desk.
#43 Posted by Kjellm87 (1735 posts) -

No way, when I'm gone it is off.

#44 Posted by Afroman269 (7440 posts) -

It only goes off when I go to sleep. I'll keep it on while I'm sleeping if I'm downloading stuff.

#45 Posted by ajamafalous (12447 posts) -

Yeah. Maybe like once a week I'll turn it off when I go to sleep and then turn it back on the next morning.

#46 Posted by crusader8463 (14744 posts) -

C: Yes and No.

I tend to always have something downloading so I generally leave my computer on all night, and since I have no life I spend about 98% of my day using it as well. If it's a really hot day like it's been lately though, I will turn it off because my room is a dam steam bath as it is because of shitty air circulation in the house, let alone with a giant PC running in it at the same time.

I only leave it on when I'm doing something with it though. If I don't need to download something while I sleep I always shut it off.
#47 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3687 posts) -

If I won't be using it for awhile I turn it off.

#48 Edited by MikeFightNight (1152 posts) -

I just put it to sleep when i'm not using it. Saves a lot of power.
#49 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2675 posts) -

I do during the day.

#50 Edited by Bubbly (261 posts) -

I turn it off when I sleep or leave the house. Don't see a point in leaving it on during those situations unless I'm downloading something.