#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Do you enjoy watching animal documentaries?
I really like them, halfway through Planet Earth and it is absolutely amazing!

#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2722 posts) -

Sure.

#3 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Planet Earth is great, so is Life.

#4 Posted by Crono11 (1650 posts) -

I'll continue with the sentiment that Planet Earth is awesome, but for the most part I don't really care for animal documentaries.

#5 Edited by MattyFTM (14393 posts) -

Only if they have got David Attenborough narrating.

Okay, not ONLY if they have David Attenborough, but Attenborough documentaries are far superior to any other natural history documentaries.

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@Dany Yea that's also amazing, you seen Frozen Planet yet, it's his reccent one.
#7 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I use to a lot. When I was growing up I owned a zoo's worth of reptiles and amphibians. I use to go out and catch them myself, something I picked up from my dad. I caught a juvenile American alligator once (I let this one go). I use to idolize the Crocodile Hunter.

But I just don't get into it the way I use to.

#8 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Hizang: Hasn't aired in the US yet, I'll catch it when it comes on Discovery.

#9 Posted by NTM (7409 posts) -

I guess. I don't actively seek them out, but if I stumble across one, I may sit down and see it through.

#10 Posted by EightBitShik (1334 posts) -

I like pretty much most documentaries as an adult for some reason. I just like learning about stuff. I miss the days when I lived with a guy and we placed PC games so much that we had Tech TV or National Geographic or Animal Planet on in the background. I play so much console stuff now I don't have that chance.

#11 Posted by dudeglove (7900 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

The same. That man's my hero.

#12 Posted by Loyal_Dragoon (118 posts) -

I really dig stuff with science or the universe. Speaking of the universe, I like the show The Universe that comes on the History Channel. (Or it at least used to come on.)

As for animal documentaries, I'll watch the occasional Bigfoot documentary if I can find one. Really dig stuff that has to do with life in the ocean, too.

#13 Posted by WhyBeAre (73 posts) -

I'll watch them but I much prefer more 'sciency' documentaries.

#14 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Depends on the animal(s) in question. But anything that has wolves is awesome. It's been scientifically proven that wolves increase the quality of anything by a 150%.

#15 Posted by natetodamax (19208 posts) -

The Planet Earth series is pretty amazing.

#16 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@Dany said:

#17 Posted by Muerthoz (350 posts) -

I don't know why, but I just couldn't sit through Planet Earth. The American version of Life was unwatchable because of Oprah narrating it. I watch Nature on PBS every couple of weeks. I really enjoyed the one about the wasps that live in fig trees.

When I was a kid, the local video store had the Trials of Life series and I watched the hell out of those.
  "FIND OUT WHY WE CALL THEM ANIMALS!"

#18 Posted by Vexxan (4622 posts) -

Planet Earth and Life are two of my favorites.  They're excellent to fall asleep too. Not saying they're boring, it's just one of their powers.

#19 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

I absolutely love animal documentaries, David Attenborough is my idol. I can't believe that Oprah narrated Life for the US??!?!

Frozen Planet was incredible, every single episode.

I also love documentaries like "Wonders of the Universe".

Professor Brian Cox. Making Physics sexy.
#20 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

Yeah, Frozen Planet is pretty great. Shame that it will be Attenborough's last. Thank God America saw sense and will be airing the Global Warming episode... I was about ready to weep for my nation.

#21 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

Only with the dulcet tones of Sir Attenborough providing commentary.

#22 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Generally, I only watch animal documentaries when I'm falling-down drunk. I find them super interesting at the time but am hard pressed to actually remember anything about the documentary after the fact :/

#23 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -

I really liked The Lion King. Gave me a great insight into a pride and what life for lions is like.

#24 Posted by EVO (3914 posts) -

@Dany said:

If everybody watched these, the world would be a better place.

@DuskVamp said:

Professor Brian Cox. Making Physics sexy.

And this guy is awesome. I could listen to him talk for hours.

#25 Posted by PenguinDust (12532 posts) -

Sure, who doesn't love nature?

#26 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Anybody watched Human Planet? It's sitting in my backlog.

#27 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

@PenguinDust: That is one of the weirdest documentaries I've ever seen. The people they interviewed seemed like bad actors and I remember them having what sounded like happy, chirpy music playing when they were interviewing them. On a documentary about a man and his girlfriend living with and being brutally killed by bears.

#28 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -

Dude, I love animal documentaries.

#29 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

Yeah, Frozen Planet is pretty great. Shame that it will be Attenborough's last. Thank God America saw sense and will be airing the Global Warming episode... I was about ready to weep for my nation.

But they once again forgo Attenborough's narration in favour of a Hollywood actor.

#30 Posted by cnlmullen (900 posts) -

The most recent animal documentary I saw was Project Nim which was about the life of an ape that was taught to sign. It was also about the story of the scientists who studied Nim, so it wasn't a pure "animal documentary".

I highly recommend it.

#31 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

Okay, not ONLY if they have David Attenborough, but Attenborough documentaries are far superior to any other natural history documentaries.

#32 Posted by Ben99 (1135 posts) -

horrible actors unlike those in the 90s

#33 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

Yes. But only when the animals are straight. When they are prancing around not reproducing is when I get worried about natural ecosystems.

#34 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -

I love animal documentaries they give you insight on how cool the world is

#35 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -
#36 Posted by Getz (3028 posts) -

@Wrighteous86: Why, because we're not easily lead and are suspicious of authority?

"NO! Because we're ignorant and stubborn!"

#37 Posted by Wes899 (2115 posts) -

I love animals. And Documentaries. Having both together is the best thing.

#38 Posted by JoshyLee (178 posts) -

Try "A Conversation with Koko." It's amazing!

#39 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Tell me son, do you like...Gladiator moves?