#1 Posted by NTM (7263 posts) -

#2 Edited by NTM (7263 posts) -

Heh heh heh.

I like his stuff from the 80's. I think it was pretty good. I think a lot of people dislike his music. The only thing I really dislike about his music is often on the later parts of each song, he just goes crazy with the instrument he's playing. Don't ask me why I made this, I just did. I am actually listening to his music right now. Call me Kenny G krazy. Kidding. What the hell.

#3 Posted by Toxeia (728 posts) -

I've actually got a bunch of his albums I bought with my own money back in the early 90's. Even now I wouldn't say it's bad, but I've just developed totally different tastes now.

#4 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

C.

#5 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

My Nan loves the shit outta Kenny G. His xmas album is an essential part of our family holidays.

#6 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

He's a damn good golfer.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

...yeah, it's all right. I wouldn't put it on my computer but I wouldn't complain or mind at all if someone nearby was playing it aloud.

#8 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

@Toxeia said:

I've actually got a bunch of his albums I bought with my own money back in the early 90's. Even now I wouldn't say it's bad, but I've just developed totally different tastes now.

#9 Posted by JasonR86 (9605 posts) -

C.

I usually don't 'hate' much of anything and I certainly don't hate Kenny G. His songs are sappy but he is a hell of a musician. I just...I just can't listen to his music. I would go crazy. But I respect what he can do.

#10 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

I clicked on this thread thinking it was about Warren G. How wrong I was.

#11 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

F. I don't hate it, but what the fuck?

#12 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1351 posts) -

WHY ISN'T THIS IS THE KENNY G FORUM?

#13 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

C.

#14 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

I just can't take seriously anymore because of Squidward.

#15 Posted by Catarrhal (820 posts) -

The correct answer is this: "Kenny G. has created a new low point in modern culture."

If anyone would like to know the truth about Kenny Gorelick, read Pat Metheny's infamous rant, from which the above quote originates. It's fucking spectacular. If you don't know who Pat Metheny is, just know that he plays a guitar that looks like this:

@JasonR86 said:

His songs are sappy but he is a hell of a musician.

See above.

#16 Posted by forkboy (1115 posts) -

I gotta say, smooth jazz just is terrible to my ears. I cannot abide it. I do not understand it. I like my jazz to be full of trumpet to be honest, as the instrument is a lot more jarring, or at least can be. Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman are all more my thing in jazz.

#17 Posted by Castro (950 posts) -

The only thing notable about Kenny G is the fact that he has an album called "G-Force". That amuses me for some reason.

#18 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

Can't say I'm familiar with his art.

#19 Posted by Ramone (2959 posts) -

I prefer Danny B

#20 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Only Kenny worth listening to is Loggins

#21 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

Why the hell would anyone listen to Kenny G? Seriously dude. May as well listen to Richard Marx and Barry Manilow whilst you are at it.

#22 Posted by Toxeia (728 posts) -

@BiffMcBlumpkin I know, that dude's creepy looking, right? I guess to put my last post in context I'm 24 so in 95 I'd have been 7. Until October any way.

#23 Posted by JasonR86 (9605 posts) -

@Catarrhal said:

The correct answer is this: "Kenny G. has created a new low point in modern culture."

If anyone would like to know the truth about Kenny Gorelick, read Pat Metheny's infamous rant, from which the above quote originates. It's fucking spectacular. If you don't know who Pat Metheny is, just know that he plays a guitar that looks like this:

@JasonR86 said:

His songs are sappy but he is a hell of a musician.

See above.

That just sounds like someone who is upset that his name isn't as well known as 'Kenny G'.

#24 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (713 posts) -

his music is okay. i prefer dave koz.

#25 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

E. Never heard his music before. Apparently I'm not alone.

#26 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Im not gonna lie, I first heard of Kenny G through a feature on a Katy Perry song

#27 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

He's been known to blatantly steal songs from other musicians and take all the credit. He is one of the most hated 'musicians' in the industry, and the articles I have read, I can see why.

I'd look up the interview with a very skilled sax player completely destroying kenny g's reputation, but alas I am lazy.

Nevermind, here it is.

This type of musical necrophilia - the technique of overdubbing on the preexisting tracks of already dead performers - was weird when Natalie Cole did it with her dad on "Unforgettable" a few years ago, but it was her dad. When Tony Bennett did it with Billie Holiday it was bizarre, but we are talking about two of the greatest singers of the 20th century who were on roughly the same level of artistic accomplishment. When Larry Coryell presumed to overdub himself on top of a Wes Montgomery track, I lost a lot of the respect that I ever had for him - and I have to seriously question the fact that I did have respect for someone who could turn out to have such unbelievably bad taste and be that disrespectful to one of my personal heroes.

But when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible. He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, shit all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis Armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician. By disrespecting Louis, his legacy and by default, everyone who has ever tried to do something positive with improvised music and what it can be, Kenny G has created a new low point in modern culture - something that we all should be totally embarrassed about - and afraid of. We ignore this, "let it slide", at our own peril.

#28 Posted by Chop (1994 posts) -

As a huge jazz fan, Kenny G is my most hated "musician".

Fuck Brokencyanide , fuck Nickleback, and fuck Katy Perry. Kenny G is the truly the cancer at the heart of the music industry.

#29 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Chop said:

As a huge jazz fan, Kenny G is my most hated "musician".

Fuck Brokencyanide , fuck Nickleback, and fuck Katy Perry. Kenny G is the truly the cancer at the heart of the music industry.

"But when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible. He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, shit all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis Armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician." -Pat Metheny on Kenny G's overdubbing 'what a wonderful life'

#30 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -

i vaguely remember listening to his music as a very, very young child. it put me to sleep, i don't know if that's a pro or con. when i listen to his stuff now it's just meh. not really my taste.

#31 Posted by Zleunamme (651 posts) -

Never thought I would see his name here. It's surprising a lot people don't know who he is. His music always played in the background at office lobbies or shopping centers. Doesn't he kind of resemble Patrick Klepek on some of those album covers being shown?

#32 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -
@Catarrhal: "Musical necrophilia." Haha. That was pretty good. Pat Metheny sounds like he's got his head shoved pretty far up his ass, but that was entertaining and very well written, except for the addendum. Unlike Pat Metheny, I don't really care what Kenny G does or which songs he plays. He's a complete nonentity.