Do you like rap/hip-hop music? (Question of the Day 12-4-10)

• 115 results
Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Kierkegaard
@astrotriforce said:
" @Kierkegaard said:
" @astrotriforce said:

" @Kierkegaard said:

" @astrotriforce: Some of those guys are pretty good lyricists, with some good flow. I guess every musician is preaching some sort of message, whether its hedonist, philosophic, or religious, so I can't knock your choice. Personally, I like more universal hip-hop.   And yeah, I love hip-hop/rap. There's something magical about how someone like Black Thought or Lupe Fiasco matches paragraphs of connected thought to a beat.  "
Indeed, there are some incredible songs and storytellers within the Christian hip-hop scene. It's sad that most people have never heard of them, given that they rarely get radioplay in the so-called mainstream.   I agree that all song writers have some kind of message for the most part. What comes out of people's mouths generally tells you what's in they're heart. I'll always stick to the more uplifting stuff personally as far as music is concerned. And yeah, I love metal but Christian rap is probably my second most played style of music.  "
Well, the mainstream is generally secular, although Rap and Country probably use God more than any other genre. I kinda like my music to feel more like a conversation than pontification. I guess that if rappers talk about their faith, I'd rather it be part of a broader narrative than pure evangelism.   I try to listen to everything I can, personally. Even the most bullshit artists have some gems, and there is no harm in experiencing novelty. Negativity, positivity, materialism, spiritualism, secularism, philosophy--they are all artistry.  "
I definitely agree with that assessment. I just wish the mainstream would do more promotion of Christian artists, for the most part they are entirely ignored. It's pretty ridiculous considering the talent within. I do listen to secular music but not a ton (Disturbed, Nightwish, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Hillary Duff, Spice Girls, Kelly Clarkson, within rap DMX and Eminem) I generally stay exclusively with Christian artists. Cause that's where it's at! :P I actually have so much good music there isn't much need to listen outside it IMHO. "
Well, that's really doubtful, though. I like that we strive for a separation of church and state, even in music. The fact is, music based primarily around a faith and music based primarily around secular ideas are very different beasts. There isn't likely to be much crossover just like Christian rock and regular rock don't usually pull in the same people. Religious music has an extrinsic purpose that other music does not, making it different. And, since nothing is stopping me from listening to your shit just like nothing is stopping you from listening to mine, cross promotion doesn't seem necessary.  

Also, the inclusion of Hillary Duff in that list was a surprise. Ain't nothing wrong with that, though. 
WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#102  Edited By WickedCobra03

I would have to say yes, but I listen to all music, from Rap to Classical, Rock to Trance/Techno, Country to Smooth Jazz....everything...

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#103  Edited By Little_Socrates

Some is fucking amazing (this year, see "Love The Way You Lie") and some is complete trash (see "Phone Home" by Lil' Wayne) and most of it falls in between. Even the really shitty rap and hip-hop usually has a beat, though, so I can just kind of turn off my focus on treble for a bit and get through okay.  

That said, shitty hip-hop is way more listenable than shitty rock music. Shitty rock is literally insufferable.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By EmuLeader

I like some old school stuff from the 80's and 90's, as well as some eminem, but pretty much everything anywhere near popular hip-hop/rap trash nowadays just suck.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Only the good stuff

Travis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Travis
@Little_Socrates said:
"...Some is fucking amazing (this year, see "Love The Way You Lie") ..." 

I literally died a little on the inside when I read that
Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By Jambones

Yes and no. 

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#108  Edited By scarace360

i like some but for the most part no.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Sanryd

I hear a song I like once or twice a year, but I generally don't like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-616d38c07628a
deactivated-616d38c07628a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By ClaritySam

I used to think it was just talking over beats until I heard the Jurassic 5 LP.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#113  Edited By JB16

Most of the users on this site seem to hate rap for it's simplicity or lack of meaning but those songs are actually "party songs" meant to just get people excited and hyped up. For example songs like "Teach me how to dougie", "Your a Jerk", "Drop it Low" are just dancing songs meant to get parties hyped up and not meant to make you think.

In my opinion there are two types of rap/hip hop songs the first are lyrical songs that are meant to send a message or make you think songs like, "One Mic", "Just a Moment", "Not Afraid". Then there's party songs like "Blowin money fast", and "Get Big".

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#114  Edited By DjCmeP

Yes. 

Underground.

JayDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By JayDee
@JB16 said:
" Most of the users on this site seem to hate rap for it's simplicity or lack of meaning but those songs are actually "party songs" meant to just get people excited and hyped up. For example songs like "Teach me how to dougie", "Your a Jerk", "Drop it Low" are just dancing songs meant to get parties hyped up and not meant to make you think.  In my opinion there are two types of rap/hip hop songs the first are lyrical songs that are meant to send a message or make you think songs like, "One Mic", "Just a Moment", "Not Afraid". Then there's party songs like "Blowin money fast", and "Get Big". "
its called ignorance, i try not to answer questions on topics i'm not familiar with, but others not so much. people also forget that music is first and foremost entertainment. waka flocka flame makes that, the backpacker guys like def jux don't. and yes to the question, i love it to the fullest.