• 89 results
Edited 9 months, 8 days ago

Poll: Do you like the movie "A Christmas Story"? (229 votes)

Yes 79%
No 21%

Every year around this time, someone always ends up astounded that I not only don't like the movie, but that I actively hate the movie. It wasn't until this year that I met someone who also didn't like the movie. Therefore I am curious of what the percentage is on Giant Bomb.

#1 Posted by medacris (662 posts) -

I haven't actually seen it. I was raised non-Christian, and our family doesn't celebrate Christmas (they still believe it to be a deeply religious thing). So I avoided Christmas movies, worrying it would be "inappropriate" for me to do so.

The only exception was Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, because I have a soft spot for anything animated.

#2 Posted by Tireyo (6426 posts) -

It's alright. Not my favorite.

#3 Posted by csl316 (8770 posts) -

Hell yes.

#4 Edited by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

Yeah I think its fine. Its not a movie I care to watch all the time, but there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13219 posts) -

Not particularly. In highschool around Christmas time, teachers would play movies the last day before winter break. One year, they played the first half of A Christmas Story in four different classes. Ugh. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now.

#6 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

I don't actually know what movie you're talking about.

#7 Posted by Spoonman671 (4648 posts) -

What kind of joyless monster doesn't like this movie?

#8 Edited by SgtSphynx (1410 posts) -

The trailer for A Christmas Story

For the unknowing, A Christmas Story is a movie released in 1983, in 1997 TNT decided it would be a good idea to play a 24 hour marathon of the movie from 8PM Christmas Eve to 8PM Christmas Day.

#9 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I don't actively hate it or anything, but i don't like it at all. I would not sit down and watch it ever again by choice.

#10 Edited by yinstarrunner (1205 posts) -

It's alright. Not something I'll seek out by any means, but I won't complain if it happens to cross my path at some point.

#11 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

No. I've never been a fan of feely feels movies like this.

#12 Posted by maverick1 (92 posts) -

yes it's a classic

#13 Edited by TruthTellah (9157 posts) -

You... you don't like "A Christmas Story"..?

http://media.giphy.com/media/fOzqym6JnmTza/giphy.gif

... you hecker dangle flappin makker dum frickin boondoggle shark crackle housesnickle viper!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vtJislZUvIQ/Ue7e8kebJRI/AAAAAAAABXU/YckUAv9EM7o/s1600/Christmas+Story+Gif.gif

eh...

I guess that's alright.

Maybe it's not for everyone.

#14 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I've walked into a strange part of the internet again. At least the poll restores my faith in humanity.

#15 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

I've only seen the scene where the little kid says "fuck" and that's about it.

#16 Posted by Kaiserreich (705 posts) -

Hell fucking yes!

#17 Posted by handlas (2685 posts) -

Yep... it's timeless. Great movie.

#18 Posted by Superkenon (1439 posts) -

You and that other individual should totes marry and live happily ever after.

go go go

#19 Posted by SgtSphynx (1410 posts) -

I feel an explanation may be in order...

First of all, I was born on Christmas Day. I first saw A Christmas Story in the late 80's, (it was just before my second birthday when it came out,) and I wasn't really a fan of the movie, but I didn't actively hate it. That is until 1997 when TNT started playing a 24 hour marathon on my birthday. Under normal circumstances, that probably wouldn't cause someone to hate the movie. I have two older brothers that love the movie, these two brothers would continually put that channel playing A Christmas Story on the TV while I was trying to enjoy my birthday. My father likes the movie, so he never did anything about it despite my complaints. Years of any annoyance will breed contempt and ultimately hatred for something, and this was no different.

#20 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Haha, pretty much, this.

#21 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3351 posts) -

@claude said:
@spoonman671 said:

Haha, pretty much, this.

Yes.

I am just minutes from watching this movie and I can tell you it will be amazing once again.

#22 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5554 posts) -

Great movie.

#23 Edited by joshth (505 posts) -

I played Ralphie in a theatrical production of it. I love the movie personally.

#24 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

I've actually never seen the whole thing.

#25 Posted by Toastburner_B (153 posts) -

Based on the movie alone, I didn't like it.

However, the elevation of the movie to meme status has brought me to the verge of hatred of the movie. When I was in high school, it caught on big around here so that everyone and their dog was quoting it constantly. If it had gone on much longer, I would have been forced to punch the next person who said "You'll shoot your eye out!" or made a joke relating to tongues being stuck on frozen metal poles, etc, in the face.

#26 Posted by johncallahan (570 posts) -

That movie is second only to "It's a Wonderful Life" in terms of my Christmas favorites. I watch them both every year.

#27 Posted by afabs515 (1115 posts) -

I've never watch it (gasp!), so I didn't vote. Just wanted to share that with everyone. Merry Christmas!

#28 Posted by HatKing (5979 posts) -

@medacris: BUMBLES BOUNCE, YO.

I have no affinity toward the movie. I'm not willing to say I dislike (though, growing up I did actively avoid it). At this point I have total ambivalence toward it. I don't understand the fascination that some people carry for it. I have friends who insist on watching it each year. And there are channels that run the movie on loop all day long during Christmas. Surely you could come up with a better Holiday film. Or at very least something less totally obvious to run all day long on your channel.

#29 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

No, as I haven't seen it.

#30 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2395 posts) -

Yes it's good. Thanks in large part to Darren McGavin. But it's not as good as Wonderful Life.

#31 Posted by Bedouin (46 posts) -

Hell yes! This is about the only Christmas movie I do like. All you contrarians who hate it because it is popular can go shove it.

#32 Posted by Strife777 (1593 posts) -

I know about it. I know some of the "gags" so to speak, but I've never seen it.

Not all that interested either. I might some day.

#33 Posted by JCTango (1363 posts) -

I love that movie - big part of my childhood haha.

#34 Posted by Roger778 (958 posts) -

Oh, definitely. It's a wonderful film.

#35 Edited by SniperXan (223 posts) -

I like it because that was my family growing up. Exactly my family...it's weird.

#36 Posted by JasonR86 (9715 posts) -

I saw it once and liked it. And I'm the guy that can't stand the Christmas music and movies and all that shit. So maybe take that into consideration when listening to what I say. Or don't. I don't know. I'm not the boss of you.

#37 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

Still as amazing as ever.

#38 Edited by SgtSphynx (1410 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

I'm the guy that can't stand the Christmas music

I'm the same way. I actually do like most Christmas movies though, just not this one.

Also, I am curious to hear @rorie give his opinion on A Christmas Story

#39 Posted by Hunter5024 (5708 posts) -

Its a classic, but if I never saw it again, I would be totally okay with that.

#40 Edited by joshwent (2218 posts) -

If anyone's unsure of the official GB opinion of this holiday classic, take a look to the right side of their shooting set.

Fra-gi-le? Jeff says it's Italian.

#41 Posted by SgtSphynx (1410 posts) -

@joshwent: I am well aware of what the lamp is from, and never said I wanted the Official GB opinion, just Rorie's personal opinion.

#42 Posted by endoworks (288 posts) -

Yes! It was such a fun movie when I was a kid and second since I live in Indiana I had some kind of Hoosier ( the movies takes place in Indiana for the un-informed ) pride but it's easily my favorite Christmas movie!

#43 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11799 posts) -

It's fantastic, but I've seen it enough times that I'd be fine never seeing it again.

#44 Edited by Vonocourt (2133 posts) -

@herbiebug: It's not really a feely feel movie though, if anything it's a pretty straight look at the naivety and ignorance of youth.

Been watching it since like 1999ish, so yeah, family watches it every year, much prefer it to Home Alone or Jingle All the Way...I was sad that my Dad actually bought the DVD of that shitfest when my sister found out the VHS tape unwound itself somehow.

#45 Edited by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

I dont think I've ever watched it the whole way through, and it will (most likely) stay that way for the rest of my life. The bits and pieces Ive seen of it over the years seem alright, nothing mind blowing though. I have a belief that most movies centered around a holiday is bound to be something I wont like. I think the only christmas film I truly adore is Bad Santa.

Also, I find it funny that the guy who directed A Christmas Story also directed Black Christmas (the original, not the remake).

#46 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2417 posts) -

It's fantastic, but I've seen it enough times that I'd be fine never seeing it again.

I agree with these gentlemen.

#47 Edited by SgtSphynx (1410 posts) -

I am pleasantly surprised at the amount of people here that don't like the movie.

#48 Posted by DonChipotle (2768 posts) -

You know what the best part of Christmas is? The 24 hour marathon of A Christmas Story on TBS.

So yeah, I like that movie.

#49 Edited by ThePickle (4184 posts) -
@hunter5024 said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I agree with these gentlemen.

I agree with this gentleman who agreed with those gentlemen.

#50 Posted by Marcsman (3209 posts) -

Really??????? How could anyone vote No?