• 89 results
Edited 3 months, 28 days ago

Do you like the movie "A Christmas Story"? (229 votes)

Yes 79%
No 21%

Every year around this time, someone always ends up astounded that I not only don't like the movie, but that I actively hate the movie. It wasn't until this year that I met someone who also didn't like the movie. Therefore I am curious of what the percentage is on Giant Bomb.

#51 Posted by Hunkulese (2528 posts) -

LEG LAMP!

#52 Posted by laserguy (413 posts) -

that movie is racist.

#53 Edited by SMTDante89 (2475 posts) -

I've only seen parts of the movie. I'll probably sit down and watch it soon though, now's the perfect time to do so.

#54 Posted by SteadyingMeat (635 posts) -

Yyyyep.

#55 Posted by leebmx (1867 posts) -

I have no idea what this movie is and I think I am reasonably well informed when it comes to cinema. Is this some American tradition that I wouldn't know about because I am British.

Is it like 'The Snowman' for Americans?

On related point I remember reading recently that there is an old British sketch called 'Dinner for One' which is traditional viewing in Germany every Christmas. Apparently everyone in Germany knows all the words. Traditions like this don't seem to depend on the quality of the thing in question. They might have once, but know it is just a tradition. In the same way as everyone eats Turkey at Christmas, even though it is generally bland and dry. - It's just something we do.

#56 Edited by kaos_cracker (538 posts) -

I leave the marathon of it on every year. I love this movie.

#57 Edited by Apparatus_Unearth (3031 posts) -

I don't really get into the whole marathon thing, but I really like the film, it's hilarious.

#58 Posted by Franstone (1057 posts) -

I watch it at least once every Christmas.

#59 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2072 posts) -

If you don't like the movie, then go shoot your fucking eye out

#60 Edited by AndrewB (7191 posts) -

Not a yes or no thing. Yes, I at one time loved the movie, but since it became ritualistic to watch it around Thanksgiving and then Christmas every year, I've seen it so many times that I would be just fine with never seeing it again.

Plus that leg lamp is so awesome that Kinect sees it as a person.

#61 Edited by RespitefortheLovelorn (15 posts) -

I love the last scene.

#62 Posted by wjb (1553 posts) -

@leebmx said:

I have no idea what this movie is and I think I am reasonably well informed when it comes to cinema. Is this some American tradition that I wouldn't know about because I am British.

It has become a movie that has grown in popularity over the years in America, especially in the past 10-15 years. When it first came out in the early 80's, it did okay but wasn't a "classic" to most people. Now it's on repeat during the entire Christmas day on TBS, a cable channel here.

It's a Christmas movie for mostly everyone. Charming, but never cloying. Jokes for all ages. It's not a boring kids film, but it's not as mature as Christmas Vacation.

I have always enjoyed it, but like some others have said, I'm kind of over it.

#63 Posted by meaninoflife42 (467 posts) -

A Christmas Story is a great Christmas movie, but the best Christmas movie ever made is still Die Hard.

#64 Edited by JJOR64 (18784 posts) -

Yes. Great Christmas movie and movie in general.

#65 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (4445 posts) -

I've seen it so many times I can't help but like it. I have submitted to it's unwillingness to go away during Christmas time. Every year I see it a few times. It just sort of happens to me. I don't watch cable anymore, so I've been able to escape the Tbs marathon this year.

#66 Posted by egg (1339 posts) -

@wjb said:

@leebmx said:

It has become a movie that has grown in popularity over the years in America, especially in the past 10-15 years. When it first came out in the early 80's, it did okay but wasn't a "classic" to most people. Now it's on repeat during the entire Christmas day on TBS, a cable channel here.

It's a Christmas movie for mostly everyone. Charming, but never cloying. Jokes for all ages. It's not a boring kids film, but it's not as mature as Christmas Vacation.

The movie has jokes? o.O

#67 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2072 posts) -

@egg said:

@wjb said:

@leebmx said:

The movie has jokes? o.O

Yes, it does, and they are all 100x better than the snarky one you tried to make

#68 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

@laserguy said:

that movie is racist.

This movie's racist.

#69 Edited by PimblyCharles (1107 posts) -

I liked it as a kid, but would not prefer to watch it ever again.

I mean that's like the one movie just about any one can say they've seen at least a dozen times. No denying its importance during the holidays though.

#70 Posted by egg (1339 posts) -

@egg said:

@wjb said:

@leebmx said:

The movie has jokes? o.O

Yes, it does, and they are all 100x better than the snarky one you tried to make

I was being serious...

#71 Posted by laserguy (413 posts) -
#72 Posted by Blannir (242 posts) -

Yes, once the 24 hour marathon starts it is always on a TV in my house. It's become tradition at this point, it wouldn't be Christmas without it playing in the background.

#73 Posted by GalacticPunt (983 posts) -

@egg: So.... you've never seen it? Maybe if you've just looked at the DVD cover, you might think it's some cloying, sentimental thing. But the actual movie is very sarcastic, and funny as fuck. The humor is a lot like the glory days of The Simpsons.

Everybody should give a view, if just to get the references that are so well known now. Like sticking your tongue to the flagpole, or the Leg Lamp, or "FUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE!"

#74 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -
#75 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

I like it a lot but I prefer Christmas Vacation over it. The original Miracle on 34th Street is my personal favorite Christmas movie.

#76 Posted by Random45 (807 posts) -

This is one of the best Christmas movies - it takes you back to when you were a kid really wanting a certain toy. Not to mention the kid's dad was freaking hilarious. He was without a doubt, the best part of the entire movie.

#77 Edited by laserguy (413 posts) -
#78 Posted by Microshock (333 posts) -

I don't REALLY need to watch it every Christmas but ....it definitely evokes feeling of that "classic" christmas time.

#79 Posted by JackSukeru (5817 posts) -

Never seen it, barely ever heard of it.

#80 Posted by trixnfx (46 posts) -

When I was a kid, my answer would have been a yes but now that I'm older and I've grown tired of it, my answer is no. For some reason, my go-to Christmas movie of choice is Home Alone.

#81 Edited by Beforet (2884 posts) -

I'm pretty sure I'm not capable of disliking it. Like, you could tell me all the ways it's terrible/racist/bad, and I would accept what you said as probably true, but I would still like A Christmas Story.

#83 Edited by Everyones_A_Critic (6270 posts) -

I'll watch that whole movie just to see the Chinese restaurant scene at the end.

#84 Posted by big_jon (5660 posts) -

It's alright, however Singham is a better movie.

#85 Posted by Dalai (6880 posts) -

Like the movie, hate the 24-hour marathon every Christmas.

#86 Posted by OperationPrometheus (78 posts) -

I don't understand the fascination with it. Its a classic and I guess I can understand why, but personally I just don't find the movie funny at all. The leg lamp scene is insufferable and seeing so many people on the news actually BUYING a leg lamp as a gift for christmas….I mean really people? I can understand why people like it but to me its just….hard to watch.

But I personally don't like a lot of christmas movies. There just aren't many good ones. Elf and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation are probably the only ones I will EVER watch again. It;s been a long time since we had a good christmas movie released. Everything is animated during the holiday season now.

#87 Posted by lazerface (7 posts) -

i LOVE this movie. i think it has a lot to do with it having been filmed in my hometown of cleveland, ohio. i actually partied on the same street it was filmed on. me and my friends stood outside the front of the house it was filmed at drunk talking about how awesome cleveland is. i live in austin, texas now. i think the house is torn down, i could be wrong though.

#88 Posted by Vanick (275 posts) -

I used to watch it more as a kid but I still enjoy it. I usually leave the 24 hour marathon on in the background every year now.

#89 Posted by thevigilanteoflove (486 posts) -

It gets played sooooo much at Christmas, it could get old. But apart from all that, I think it's just a really cool movie. No complaints at all from me.

#90 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I like the movie. Haven't seen it in a long time. Since I don't have cable, I missed the 24 hour marathon that TBS always airs on Christmas Day. Wonder if anyone has ever sat through all 24 hours of it?