• 105 results
#1 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

#2 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Mine sucks. It was always kinda shitty due to lack of any entertainment or retail, but in the past 10 years it's become more violent and dangerous too haha

#3 Posted by believer258 (12081 posts) -

I live in Gaston county, which is considered the outskirts of Charlotte NC.

Get me the hell out of here! There's NOTHING here! Even in Charlotte, there's not a ton of things! Honestly, it feels like nothing I'm really interested in ever comes here at all.

#4 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

No, I absolutely hate the city I live in--San Antonio, Texas.

#5 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I recently moved from a shitty suburb of Detroit to a college town a couple hours west, closer to Chicago. God, what a difference. I never really thought I hated Detroit, or any of the other shitholes I've lived in, but I think I do now. This place is nice. I don't think I've ever just wandered around my neighborhood and thought, "Gee, this is a nice place to live." But I find myself doing that a lot now. What about you guys? Do you have much of an opinion about where you live? Or are you just there?

#6 Edited by Jams (2965 posts) -

I chose D, but I love the land and history around where I live (and where I was born and raised), but I hate the people that currently populate it.

#7 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

Toronto is a wonderful city, it has so much to offer in terms of work, education or entertainment. Doesn't hurt either that it is a beautiful city with a line of wilderness that runs right through the centre of it.

#8 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

I live in Austin, TX, born and raised. Obviously there's a lot of entertainment so I don't hate it. If I were to nitpick I'd say I would prefer a place with nicer weather and better public transportation.

#9 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

it's garbage. Las Vegas is garbage.

IT IS POOP THAT FELL OUT OF A BUTT

#10 Edited by Coafi (1490 posts) -

Please, get me the hell out of here!

#11 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

It's definitely not paradise, but I've always liked my town.

#12 Posted by StarvingGamer (8457 posts) -

Yeah, West LA is pretty nice actually.

#13 Posted by mosespippy (4364 posts) -

@MideonNViscera said:

Mine sucks. It was always kinda shitty due to lack of any entertainment or retail, but in the past 10 years it's become more violent and dangerous too haha

Is it actually getting more violent or is this just a perception? The violent crimes rate as a whole has gone down almost everywhere in North America for over 40 years but the local news needs to make everything sound so terrible so that people watch the local news more. There are small pockets that are getting worse (rural areas mostly) but on average things are getting safer.

I fucking hate this place and want to get out so bad. I can't afford to leave yet though and I'm not qualified enough for a company to pay for me to move just so I can work for them.

#14 Edited by NTM (7516 posts) -

It's not paradise, but I still picked A. I do love it, well, enough to say it's worth recommending if someone asked. Cliffy B. was here in WA for PAX, and on Gametrailers he was mentioning how Fallout 3 at some point gets depressing, and he mumbled "kind of like Seattle", I was a little miffed. I felt like he was saying that because of the rain everyone correlates with WA, but it's not always rainy, and it's far less than other states.

We get the best of all seasons, which I can't say the same for some other states, and I like that. In the winter, we get snow (most of the time), in the fall, we get some rain off and on, it's pretty cold, but it's beautiful, in spring, we get half sun and half rain, and during the summer, we get sun, and yes, I know I went out of order with the seasons there. I think WA is a great state to live in. Maybe I'm wrong about the weather though, but I feel like it's one of the few places that has variety here in the United States. Also, there are great businesses here, some of the biggest in the world.

#15 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I love it. The high cost of living keeps the rifraf out. And it's right out side dc.

#16 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Brooklyn, NY is wonderful. Born and Raised in Queens, NY so I am no stranger to NYC but I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in my 20s.

#17 Posted by forkboy (1174 posts) -

I currently live in a Scottish "city" called Inverness, which is where I grew up. And it's quite nice. Lovely scenery all around. Quiet, not much in the way of crime, certainly not any affecting me. Buuuuut it's a 3 1/2 hours train trip away from civilisation. So although I don't hate this place, I do feel that I'd rather move on elsewhere just to stretch my wings.

#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
@StarvingGamer
Yeah, West LA is pretty nice actually.
Born and raised?
#19 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

@Donkeycow said:

Toronto is a wonderful city, it has so much to offer in terms of work, education or entertainment. Doesn't hurt either that it is a beautiful city with a line of wilderness that runs right through the centre of it.

In unrelated news, Toronto has been making unconventional attempts to boost its tourism industry...

#20 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (631 posts) -

besides the 10 year highway reconstruction and putting a ton of round-a-bouts that some people still don't seem to understand, where I live isn't too bad. Then again I live out in the country side of the city so I can avoid most of it.

#21 Posted by StarvingGamer (8457 posts) -

@Dagbiker: Not born or raised, but thanks to my 14 month old I do find that on the playground is where I spend most of my days.

#22 Posted by JackSukeru (5946 posts) -

No, there's nothing for me here. It's far from anyone I would hang out with, it's quite a bit from most of my family and I can't even get a videogame without an hour busride to the nearest city.

#23 Posted by TehJedicake (900 posts) -

I probably would never move. My town isn't that big or exciting, but it's the type of town that I feel completely comfortable in. So comfortable that in the summer nights I keep the main door open and just have the screen door there blowing in cool air.

#24 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -

Luleå is pretty good, except for that time someone stole my fucking rear lights on my car.

#25 Posted by ozzdog12 (863 posts) -

@MideonNViscera: Well being born in Winchester, Va(about 45 mins south of Washington D.C.), then relocating to Alexandria,VA (about 10 mins from Washington D.C.) and being 'raised' there until the age of 10, I became spoiled(in the fact that there was always something to do, museum to visit, sports to go to etc., not a spoiled little brat) then I moved to Johnson City, TN after my parents divorced with my dad(as this is where both my parents grew up and most of my family was located) I lived in Johnson City until I was 18 and went to college, visiting 'home' periodically throughout. I then went to college in a town of Cookeville, about 45 mins North of Nashville, after living there for 5 miserable years, I moved to Knoxville which I currently reside

To answer your question:

Winchester, VA- Great

Alexandria,VA-Awesome

Johnson City,TN-Great

Cookeville, TN- Hated it

Knoxville, TN- Its alright so far

#26 Posted by Sanity (1950 posts) -

I live in a shitty rundown town where the roads are falling apart and so are the people. The only businesses doing well are the medical places and old age homes. The nearest city is also a shithole and best know for its floods.

#27 Posted by Happenstance (467 posts) -

I live in a tiny village with no post office, no shop and no bus service in the middle of nowhere. It makes it really hard to get a job and of course without a job I have no money so I cant move out to a better area to get a job. :(

#28 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

My town

#29 Edited by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@MideonNViscera said:

Is it actually getting more violent or is this just a perception? The violent crimes rate as a whole has gone down almost everywhere in North America for over 40 years but the local news needs to make everything sound so terrible so that people watch the local news more. There are small pockets that are getting worse (rural areas mostly) but on average things are getting safer.

I fucking hate this place and want to get out so bad. I can't afford to leave yet though and I'm not qualified enough for a company to pay for me to move just so I can work for them.

Yeah it's actually more violent. Somewhere around 2004 or 2005 the highschool aged kids started getting into crack and shit, then carried that attitude into the bars bringing knives and other things with them, while my age (3 or 4 years older) never did any of that. Since then there's been a couple killings, one of which was a brutal gang beating right in front of the police in the middle of town. Fortunately that seems to finally be tapering off, as the current young people don't seem to be like that. It was certainly a very real period in our shitty town though.

Our nearest city, Halifax, is supposed to be worse than ever right now, but I have never lived there so I can't speak to the validity of those claims.

#30 Edited by Chop (1999 posts) -

I live in a very, very small uhh...village? Hamlet? We have a corner store and post office (they are the same place, actually) and that's it. I think probably 200 people live here and that's a high estimate.

It's alright with me; very quite. There is a total lack of anything to do besides walk trails but there is a charm to that. It's kinda like living in a village from one of the Harvest Moon games or somethin'.

#31 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1011 posts) -

I love where I live, Fort Worth, Texas. It's a large city with a small town feel. If I ever need to go to "bigger" attractions, Dallas is just 30 minutes away, but this is my city and I love it and I think it captures that "small town/big city" perfectly.

Also, I've never ridden a horse in my life, but it's pretty common to see them on those bicycle trails. I also work in that tall skyscraper to the far right of the picture, called the Burnett Plaza. Also, don't let the picture fool you, yes we have highways--tons of them.

In fact, that's my only complaint is that there is absolutely ZERO public transportation and you have to drive literally everywhere. But, there you have it.

#32 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

No. My town's one of the shittiest in Cornwall, to the extent of if I tell someone I live here the most typical response is "Ugh", I loathe it.

#33 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Oulu is fine, the sixth biggest city in Finland with a staggering population density of 266.8/sq mile. I like walking, the central's small and pedestrian friendly so it works out.

#34 Posted by Turambar (6842 posts) -

I used to live in New York. I no longer live in New York. Man I really want to go back to living in New York.

Though considering a district court just struck down last year's Proposition 10, and now it's making its way to the state Supreme Court, maybe Wisconsin has a shot at getting better.

#35 Posted by FriedConsole (53 posts) -

Proud suburbintie. Lots of people in my age group moved to the inner cities in their 20's because there was "nothing to do" in the suburbs. They had some glamorized version of inner city living that was fed to them in movies. Turns out city living sucked for most of them and they moved back to the suburbs. Most of them went to the city and then watched TV most of the time or go to some bar which you can do just find in the suburbs. Getting drunk at a Chili's may not make you cool but if you are with the right people feels the same as being some Hipster bar in the inner city. If there is something cool in the city, I can go there visit it and then go home to my house that I don't have share a wall with some stranger. Most people seem to move back when the start popping out kids because they feel it is safer in the suburbs. It is crazy to know what people are paying for something the size of my closet. I love the suburbs! It is nice to look at trees instead of druggies hanging out on the street.

#36 Posted by Jams (2965 posts) -

@FriedConsole said:

Proud suburbintie. Lots of people in my age group moved to the inner cities in their 20's because there was "nothing to do" in the suburbs. They had some glamorized version of inner city living that was fed to them in movies. Turns out city living sucked for most of them and they moved back to the suburbs. Most of them went to the city and then watched TV most of the time or go to some bar which you can do just find in the suburbs. Getting drunk at a Chili's may not make you cool but if you are with the right people feels the same as being some Hipster bar in the inner city. If there is something cool in the city, I can go there visit it and then go home to my house that I don't have share a wall with some stranger. Most people seem to move back when the start popping out kids because they feel it is safer in the suburbs. It is crazy to know what people are paying for something the size of my closet. I love the suburbs! It is nice to look at trees instead of druggies hanging out on the street.

That's so true. For me, it started out as, "there's nothing to do in this podunk" to "I want to get as far away from other people as possible" within the span of about 10 years.

#37 Edited by thegoldencat7 (1500 posts) -

I live in a smallish town in North Wales. Its what's technically referred to as a 'shite-hole'.

#38 Posted by Jackel2072 (2278 posts) -

Strangely i do. i live in Zumbrota Minnesota ( im sure you all have heard of it) there is really nothing out here, its kind of a hole in the wall kind of town. but i like that there is nothing out here. the only downside is there is nowhere to eat at 2AM in this other then the gas station.

#39 Edited by awesomeusername (4230 posts) -

Bronx, New York. Born and raised. New York is such a shit hole. Get me the hell out of here!!!

#40 Edited by Mackinder (74 posts) -

I'm going to say it's paradise. That's because I've just moved to Edinburgh from a tiiiiiiny village in England. So it's a huge change. But also I've just landed a job at an awesome company. So all in all, this is insaaaane!

#41 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

Ten years in Chicago, and I think I've had my fill. At least baseball season is almost over. Living close to Wrigley Field makes traveling anywhere on a game day twenty times more arduous than it already is.

Also, dodging bullets.

#42 Posted by HarlechQuinn (450 posts) -

Born, raised and still living in Frankfurt... and still fuckin' love it!

#43 Edited by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

Even though I live in a college town in the boonies of the Deep South, I don't mind it too much. It's a bit different living and working in a relatively rural town that is hours away from anything that could be termed a "city," but it's not that bad.

#44 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

It's pretty good. Since I only live here for the university I will probably leave once I graduate but for a college town its pretty good.

#45 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Currently living in the middle of nowhere; Ithaca, NY. It's pretty nice though; it's a sizable suburb town that has all the out-in-the-country benefits.

#46 Posted by bennyboy (329 posts) -

I have been living in San Diego for the last 5 years and am content.

#47 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Dayton, Ohio is an alright place.

#48 Posted by Stete (748 posts) -

I live in Surbiton which is in the outskirts of London and I think it's great area but the cost of living has risen to ridiculous levels. I have to pay £53 ($84) each week on transport. I would like to move closer to central but the rents there are absolutely ridiculous, at least twice as much as I am paying now, unless I move to a shitty area.

#49 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it's alright. i just wish that it was it was in a warm place and we would be fine.

#50 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

Los Angeles California. Hollywood and Venice Beach are my favorite places to be.