#1 Edited by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Simple question, do you own any Gym equipment such as a Treadmill or a Bike Machine?

So I've been on a fitness craze of late, I'm starting to get a bit bigger and really don't want to be. So yesterday I wasted my money on a Shakewight which is currently being brought to my house, I found out after that they don't work. Today I spent £149 on a treadmill, it was £399 but it was an Amazon deal, so I hope to use that. I really don't want to me the kind of person that will let it gather dust, but I figure with a treadmill I can use it while I watch TV or something.

#2 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I own an actual bike... does that count? That with the purpose being the same and all ^^

#3 Posted by freakin9 (839 posts) -

I own a treadmill, a apparatus where I can do pull ups and knee bends, a bar and bench, various weights and a set of dumbbells. I currently use them all... at once... ok not at once.

#4 Edited by mercutio123 (454 posts) -

I own my own rowing boat and a club membership. Does that count?

I find that if I have stuff that's in my own house I don't use it at all, I have to go to a gym or club to actually exercise, dunno why, seems more purposeful and wasteful if I don't do anything while I'm there.

#5 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

I do own a bike machine that I never used, never bought and don't have a clue how it's in my house. Maybe my house owns it and not me.

#6 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I would argue a treadmill is as much a waste of money as the shakeweight. Running outside gives you fresh air, and you can pretty easily find a surface easier on your knees if that's something that concerns you. Go with a friend or listen to a podcast along the way to keep entertained. Hell if you want you can watch something on an iPod Touch/smartphone or whatever.

Sadly, I am totally broke and unemployed, so keeping in shape is a bitch. I mostly do body weight stuff, but I have a big tub of cat litter that I use for lifting, and a bunk bed to to pullups on (plus I have to keep my legs curled up so it helps a bit with my core. still, it sucks). When I do get money I will be getting some dumbbells/barbells and a bench and all that.

Don't forget to do crunches, sit-ups, and push-ups! Spreading out your exercises across different muscle groups means more stamina and more exercise :)

#7 Posted by Ocean_H (290 posts) -

Crossfit and/or caveman training is where it's at (what the 300 movie actors did). A combination of weight training and cardio. I go to this type of gym and believe me, I've seen beefed up guys who tried one session and they puked because they've only done weight training and none of the cardio. If you train well in crossfit, you can visually look mildly muscled but you'll lift more weight than a really beefed up douchebag.

#8 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

Treadmills and Static Bikes are the most retarded thing I've ever seen.

Just buy a nice pair of shoes and go running outside.

Buy a bike and go cycling.

Somehow, I feel treadmills are for lazy people.

#9 Posted by BrandonPckrfn (68 posts) -

I own some free weights, but have been on the crossfit craze last couple months. YMCA has everything I need for pretty cheap.

#10 Posted by Nilazz (606 posts) -

@Ocean_H said:

Crossfit and/or caveman training is where it's at (what the 300 movie actors did). A combination of weight training and cardio. I go to this type of gym and believe me, I've seen beefed up guys who tried one session and they puked because they've only done weight training and none of the cardio. If you train well in crossfit, you can visually look mildly muscled but you'll lift more weight than a really beefed up douchebag.

#11 Edited by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos: Oh I agree on the Shake weights, I got sucked in my the advert and then went away and bought it. I then realised I should probably read a little bit about it and it turns out there a scam. I mean it's not a useless product, it will still make you work but nowhere near as much as they claim, and it can also be used as dumbbell too.

#12 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

I have a pull up bar and can do sit ups/crunches. Also a good par on running shoes and a little gym at my apartment. I watch Netflix or HBO Go will I run on the treadmill...

#13 Posted by CactusJack (142 posts) -

Got free weights, ab wheel, bands and medicine balls. I go to the gym and swim in a pool.

#14 Edited by moywar700 (174 posts) -

I pretty much use a resistance band and a fitness ball. Resistance bands are pretty much the jack of all trades.You can train almost any muscle.

They're all much all I need.

I run alot since I'm a long distance runner.I didn't really get big but I make up for it in endurance.

#15 Posted by fisk0 (3278 posts) -

I don't think I'd use that stuff, so I fill my iPod up with podcasts and take long walks instead. Certainly not as good as proper workouts, but 2-4 hour walks is a routine I've been able to keep up doing daily for the past 6 or so years, while everyone I know who bought gym passes or home equipment only used it for a couple of times the first month or two and then stopped entirely.

#16 Posted by GODWASP (41 posts) -

I have free weights, a bench and a bosu ball.

#17 Posted by mrfizzy (1464 posts) -

I have free weights and an exercise bike. I want a weights bench but I cant justify it.

#18 Posted by Zleunamme (609 posts) -

Some free weights, a resistance band and a medicine ball.

#19 Posted by golguin (3651 posts) -

I've had a gym membership since I was 18 (now 26) and I go almost every day. I mostly lift weights, but every few days I'll jog/walk a mile on the treadmill after I finish my workout. I also play sports with friends so there's also that.

The OP mentioned the problem of getting a bit bigger. How is that a problem and what does a bit bigger mean? Bigger usually means stronger and being stronger is always a plus. It might sound weird, but whenever I reached a new max on the bench or anything else I'd feel like I leveled up RPG style.

#20 Posted by Fallen189 (4918 posts) -

I guess there's a set of stairs in my house?

#21 Posted by Ocean_H (290 posts) -

@golguin said:

... Bigger usually means stronger and being stronger is always a plus.

Nope. Like I mentioned, crossfit doesn't get you beefed up like Arnold-style and you get to be stronger and more fit than someone that looks like a bodybuilder.

#22 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Yep Treadmill and weights.

#23 Posted by aquamarin (553 posts) -

Some free weights and and an exercise ball. Looks girly, yes, but exercise ball can do some good things for your core. Other than I run 3mi. at least 4x a week, push ups and sit ups. I was going to defend treadmills, but actually I can't. This past winter I ran in some slippery, frigid conditions to avoid them (they're boring, and aren't as intensive).

#24 Edited by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

@Ocean_H said:

@golguin said:

... Bigger usually means stronger and being stronger is always a plus.

Nope. Like I mentioned, crossfit doesn't get you beefed up like Arnold-style and you get to be stronger and more fit than someone that looks like a bodybuilder.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Edit: I guess I should clarify. First, you have to define what stronger means. A bodybuilder/weightlifter is going to be able to lift more weight than someone who does strictly CrossFit. Muscle endurance is a whole different story, but as I said, you're comparing apples to oranges. Different goals, different strokes, different people.

Personally, I do a mix of CrossFit, weightlifting and martial arts.

#25 Posted by freakin9 (839 posts) -

It should be noted, if you are having trouble getting motivated, that you never should feel like you need to do an hour workout. Do just 5 minutes a day to start out. Or even, 5 minutes every other day. Exercising should be fun after all, not a chore.

#26 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1326 posts) -

@fisk0 said:

I don't think I'd use that stuff, so I fill my iPod up with podcasts and take long walks instead. Certainly not as good as proper workouts, but 2-4 hour walks is a routine I've been able to keep up doing daily for the past 6 or so years, while everyone I know who bought gym passes or home equipment only used it for a couple of times the first month or two and then stopped entirely.

Who the hell has time to walk 2-4 hours daily?

#27 Posted by kindgineer (2485 posts) -

I own a couple of pieces, but mainly for P90x.

Simple as that really, invest in P90x, and spend your money on the stuff it requires for your course.

#28 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

You bought a Shakeweight? Lmao.

I just own some dumbbells. Push-ups, sit-ups, and curls are enough for me (when done properly, of course).

#29 Posted by Hamst3r (4342 posts) -

I have an elliptical and a stationary bike.

#30 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

i own a dumbbell and a bench press. i enjoy watching tv while i work out. gyms don't have tv where i can watch stuff.

#31 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I have a really nice bench press that can be adjusted to do a very large amount of exercises. Obviously an Olympic bench bar, curl bar, 600 lbs of weights, 2 45 lbs free weights, 2 60 lbs free weights, 2 75 lbs free weights, and a treadmill.

#32 Posted by crusader8463 (14306 posts) -

I just bought 40 pound dumbbells, 20 each side, from Amazon a few weeks back. Prior to that I only had 5 pound ones. Hard to get motivated to use them though.

#33 Posted by Nilazz (606 posts) -

@iam3green: Perfect for the gym!

#34 Posted by pyromagnestir (3950 posts) -

I have a stationary bike which I don't use much anymore. I used to use it when watching shitty tv as kind of a trade off thing. Instead I just cut out most of the shitty tv I used to watch. I moved it to a different room recently, so it's less out of the way and maybe more likely to be used.

I used to have a pull up bar in my door frame, but a friend of mine broke it. I've been meaning to get something to replace it. Not another door frame one though, maybe something else.

There are a few weights laying about. I think it's like a couple 30 lb dumbbells and a 90 lb. bench press, so it's usable, but I've never used them much. I prefer body weight stuff. Like push ups and pull ups.

The weird thing I'm kinda interested in doing is, I used to have a part time job loading trucks. 5 days a week for about 4-6 hours a day I'd be lifting boxes from less than a pound to 120+ lbs. (I think the average box weighed like 20 lbs. if I remember correctly.) I quit to go back to school after I'd saved up enough to live off of for a good while, but it kept me in pretty decent shape. I keep thinking of getting a bunch of boxes (I got a bunch laying around from all the stuff I buy), stuffing them full of junk to make 'em way a decent amount, and then spend an hour a day stacking and unstacking 'em while watching tv or listening to audiobooks or whatever. Hell, if they'd had tv's in the trucks I was loading at work I don't think I woulda quit.

But for the last 6 months at least I've been real lazy, and haven't done any of this shit. And for the six months before that I wasn't doing much of it either, but at least last summer I was rock climbing or biking occasionally.

Anyone feel like starting a Giant Bomb workout club? I think I might join. My first order of business, do some push ups and hop on my stationary bike for a bit each day.

#35 Posted by fisk0 (3278 posts) -

@SirPsychoSexy: I have slightly varying work hours, so on days I finish early I take the 4 hour walk, on late days I take the 2 hour walk.

#36 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I owe losing over 14 kilos (in a little less than a year) to this: 

#37 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

If I use the treadmill a lot I may get a Bike Machine, seems like ti would be ore comfortable as well.

#38 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

1. Eat less than you burn.

2. Jog

3. Profit

Seriously though, if you want to lose weight be sure you can, you need to control your diet and eating habits. Nothing wasteful and be sure your money spent on the treadmill wasn't a waste. Think things through. You have a habit if carelessly spending money around or starting things you don't finish. Make sure this isn't one of them and commit yourself.

EDIT: God, use the treadmill first before you decide on getting a bike.

#39 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

A treadmill

#40 Edited by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

I would argue a treadmill is as much a waste of money as the shakeweight. Running outside gives you fresh air, and you can pretty easily find a surface easier on your knees if that's something that concerns you. Go with a friend or listen to a podcast along the way to keep entertained. Hell if you want you can watch something on an iPod Touch/smartphone or whatever.

Sadly, I am totally broke and unemployed, so keeping in shape is a bitch. I mostly do body weight stuff, but I have a big tub of cat litter that I use for lifting, and a bunk bed to to pullups on (plus I have to keep my legs curled up so it helps a bit with my core. still, it sucks). When I do get money I will be getting some dumbbells/barbells and a bench and all that.

Don't forget to do crunches, sit-ups, and push-ups! Spreading out your exercises across different muscle groups means more stamina and more exercise :)

If you are unemployed then you are in a perfect situation to get in shape. I'm assuming you have quite a bit of free time so just take advantage of it. Go for a hour long jog everyday and eat decent and the pounds will fall off. I wish I had the time to do more of it myself but I do not. Fortunately I get quite the workout at work everyday.

#41 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

I won a treadmill AND and jazzercies bike, do I use them? Of course not.

#42 Posted by freakin9 (839 posts) -

From my experience, exercising makes you look good, dieting makes you lose weight. Remember that you aren't going to show proper results without also dieting correctly. I've found low carb is a good way to go, but it seems like there isn't one "right" way.

#43 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

The only "fitness" equipment I own is a squash racket. Other than that I jog outside (even in the Swedish winter, unless it's icy) and ride my bike wherever I go.

#44 Posted by Grilledcheez (3919 posts) -

I have small free weights, a resistance band, pull up bar, and a treadmill. I also have a gym membership now over the summer.

#45 Edited by big_jon (5657 posts) -

Dumbbells and a barbell, I want to get heavier weights.

I really want to get some 85 to 100lb dumbbells, but they're like a 1.25$ per pound.

#46 Posted by jonano (361 posts) -

Here's a little tip to keep you from failing ,only do a little bit every day and slowly increase your time or distance or whatever because most people jump in and do too much at the start they make it horrible and they hate it and quit .you may not loose weight as fast but It will help you form a habit easily and you'll get used to it over time and like it maybe even love it . The biggest hurdle for anyone is forming the habit and I hope this helps :). I lost 4 stone doing it this way so I know it works .