• 137 results
#1 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -

#2 Edited by iWonder (454 posts) -

I saw that tearjerker of a video about that guy who owns the world's largest vinyl collection. Which brought me here. How many of you guys own any vinyls?

EDIT: this poll could have been worded slightly better. Just pick C if you have less than 10. And post pics if you can!

#3 Posted by SSully (4128 posts) -

I started about a year and a half ago and I own about 30 or so.

#4 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

My mom has a collection of about 150 that she told me I'd be inheriting. I used to love to come home from school and just grab one randomly.

#5 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

I had an old AFI album on vinyl. Don't know what I did with it though.

#6 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I have a few Ben Folds albums on vinyl. have no idea where they are.

#7 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Yes several, and most are in great condition.

#8 Posted by InfiniteSpark (296 posts) -

I've been purchasing vinyl for a couple of years now. I think I have over two hundred.

#9 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I inherited my dad's collection once he was done with them, and now I have about 500. I treasure my Electric Light Orchestras and Supertramps most of all, though. <3

#10 Posted by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

No, its always interested me though. Is there any difference in quality? I feel like that's something I hear about vinyl.

#11 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Nope, because I'm not a dinosaur.

#12 Edited by iWonder (454 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

No, its always interested me though. Is there any difference in quality? I feel like that's something I hear about vinyl.

In CD's, they chop off the lows, chop off the highs, and compress it to fit on the disc. With a vinyl it's pure analog - everything's there. So a bass drum feels bassier, a cymbal feels crashier, and everything (theoretically) has more detail.

#13 Posted by Slay3r1583 (601 posts) -

Nope. I'm not an audiophile, collector, or music snob. CD's and MP3's are good enough for me.

#14 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -

@VinceNotVance said:

LCD Soundsystem- 45:33, LCD Soundsystem, The London Sessions, This is Happening

So much LCD Soundsystem love today. What's 45:33, if you don't mind me asking?

#15 Edited by HatKing (5832 posts) -

@VinceNotVance: We have very similar tastes in music. I too would like to have a complete discography for LCD Soundsystem. I'm really looking for a 'Sound of Silver' though. I love that album.

Why, yes I do! I have been collecting for the past few years, sort of. I generally only buy albums that I know and really love. It limits me a bit that there aren't many decent record stores around me, I'm pretty much only buying them when I visit friends or am out of town. I also sort of stopped for a bit when I had my turntable disconnected. Though I recently hooked it back up and now I'm thinking I'll probably hunt a few records down.

I am having trouble remembering everything off the top of my head, but here's an incomplete list:

TV On The Radio: 'Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes' 'Return to Cookie Mountain' 'Dear Science'

Rain Machine: 'Rain Machine'

LCD Soundsystem: '45/33' 'This is Happening'

The National: 'High Violet'

Liars: 'Sisterworld'

I Monster: 'A Dense Swarm of Ancient Stars'

Vampire Weekend: 'Contra'

#16 Posted by HatKing (5832 posts) -

@iWonder: It's a sort of promotional side project James Murphy actually did for Nike. He likes to boast that it actually is designed to make you run faster, jokingly. It's almost entirely instrumental, and was initially only available on vinyl. Pretty sure you can get it anywhere now. It's really worth a listen. There is a lot of beats there that are present in 'Sound of Silver'. Good stuff.

#17 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Yup, I've got some records. I need to buy a better turntable, the one I have now is an old piece of shit.

#18 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

Yeah, I personally own a couple of albums on vinyl, but my dad owns at least 100. I should really buy more records.

#19 Edited by iWonder (454 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

Yup, I've got some records. I need to buy a better turntable, the one I have now is an old piece of shit.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-PL60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1331453082&sr=1-1

Get that, a new pre-amp, and the DLX stylus, and you'll be rocking some serious sound quality.

@HatKing said:

@iWonder: It's a sort of promotional side project James Murphy actually did for Nike. He likes to boast that it actually is designed to make you run faster, jokingly. It's almost entirely instrumental, and was initially only available on vinyl. Pretty sure you can get it anywhere now. It's really worth a listen. There is a lot of beats there that are present in 'Sound of Silver'. Good stuff.

Neato. I might actually pick that up.

#20 Posted by EVO (3868 posts) -

@SSully said:

Same here.

My prized record is the Shatter soundtrack, 1 of only 1000 that got released. If my house was burning down, it would be one of the first things I'd grab.

#21 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -

@EVO said:

@SSully said:

Same here.

My prized record is the Shatter soundtrack, 1 of only 1000 that got released. If my house was burning down, it would be one of the first things I'd grab.

Shatter's soundtrack actually came out on vinyl? Holy shit!

#22 Posted by Nizzleworth (253 posts) -

hehe, vinyls.

#23 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

@iWonder: Basically what said- it's LCD Soundsystem's attempt at making a long-piece instrumental album. I think it's brilliant & it totally works as workout music too, haha. It's worth a listen to.

Yeah, I remember we had discussions about LCD before! I find it funny that you don't have Sound of Silver yet because I can't find that album for the life of me!

#24 Posted by EVO (3868 posts) -

@iWonder said:

@EVO said:

@SSully said:

Same here.

Shatter's soundtrack actually came out on vinyl? Holy shit!

Yeah, I created a thread a while ago. I just checked the website and they're still selling it.

#25 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Not mine originally, but I have all my dad's collection, boxes and boxes of them.

#26 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -

@VinceNotVance said:

@iWonder: Basically what said- it's LCD Soundsystem's attempt at making a long-piece instrumental album. I think it's brilliant & it totally works as workout music too, haha. It's worth a listen to.

Yeah, I remember we had discussions about LCD before! I find it funny that you don't have Sound of Silver yet because I can't find that album for the life of me!

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Silver-Vinyl-Lcd-Soundsystem/dp/B000VI70Z4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331454630&sr=8-3

#27 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

@iWonder: Thanks for bringing that to my attention! It's been sold out on Amazon for the longest time (like months now), but at least they have a few in stock now. Gonna get on that.

#28 Posted by Syndrom (351 posts) -

i have some, pretty much all hardcore / metal albums.

If i buy music it's on vinyl, everything is cooler. The artwork / the sound come out much better than on a cd imo.

#29 Posted by geirr (2476 posts) -

My most revered vinyl is also my newest one, and they're numbered from 1 to 1000 and signed!

#30 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Nizzleworth said:

hehe, vinyls.

Yeah, I didn't want to be the guy that pointed that out lol.

#31 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

I own a bunch and I have no idea what they are.

#32 Posted by CheapPoison (724 posts) -

I have quite a few, well over 50.

But i think only about 30 i am really proud of that i cherrish.

#33 Posted by djames216 (363 posts) -

I used to have several hundred records but threw out loads before moving house last year. Don't worry, there was nothing particularly special in what I threw away but I still have in the region of about a hundred left. It's a mixture of albums and twelve inch singles. I've had the turntable for a little over twenty years (yes twenty) and it's still ticking, though I don't use it anywhere near as much as I used to.

My Vinyl Collection
My Hi-Fi

And yes that's a copy of Persona 4 on the PS2 shelf, haven't played it in ages though. Wing Commander III and Killing Time are on the 3DO shelf alongwith Game Guru. Game Guru was mainly used for game cheats but it could also compress your game saves in order to save space in the 3DO's small amount of non-volatile memory. Sorry for getting off-topic a bit, I guess I'm anticipating the questions that might be asked.

#34 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

I don't have any, but my mother has about 40 or 50. I remember listening to them when I was really little. Thought it was magic. Ha ha

#35 Posted by DeF (4808 posts) -

@iWonder said:

I saw that tearjerker of a video about that guy who owns the world's largest vinyl collection. Which brought me here. How many of you guys own any vinyls?

EDIT: this poll could have been worded slightly better. Just pick C if you have less than 10. And post pics if you can!

I know the video. Watching that was a big bummer . A huge warehouse full of records ...man!

I don't know how many I have exactly but I picked option B) since it's not that many. I started buying some 12" rap records to get hold of exclusive tracks/remixes/b-sides or when there was just a vinyl promo and the CD would follow weeks or months later. Then I bought a few soul/funk records at the flea market (mainly Stevie Wonder albums) 'cause I feel that's how you should listen to that kind of music. I buy a few rap records every now and then but I don't have the budget to shift my extensive CD collection to vinyl. I'd love to but that would be nuts at this point.

At some point, I'd like to have certain key albums on vinyl, though.

Oh, I loved when the BioShock 2 Collector's Edition came with a 12" vinyl with the soundtrack of the first game on it. That was so awesome, i don't regret paying full price (85 EUR) for that even though the price went as low as 15-20 a few months later.

#36 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

I only just started a couple of weeks ago. My mate is a big house and techno fan who buys loads of vinyls and has got me into the novelty of buying vinyls too. I tend to stick to albums though. I don't get how he can spend nine pounds on pretty much two songs!

Here is what I have so far:

Modest Mouse - Moon and Antartica (Double Vinyl)

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Pavement - Watery, Domestic (EP)

Motown Gold (Some motown collection I picked up for a pound at a charity store)

I had a chance to buy Spiderland by Slint the other day but I had no money at the time. I am now seriously regretting not picking it up.

#37 Edited by mortal_sb (519 posts) -

i have some, yes. ( i'm guessing 50+, not sure) but not as many as i'd liked. they're too expensive. i mostly buy stuff that i REALLY have to have. also: only recent stuff. i don't have old elvis records from my parents or something. bought everything by myself. a few hardcore and punk records and records from bands i'm friends with. the german hardcore community still releases almost everything vinyl only. (some friends have like 1000-2000 recent records. i'm not helping them move again anytime soon.)

this is most of my collection. there are 10-15 records missing that are laying in my room. (and yes, that's an accordion)

some of my favorite record designs:

red sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Towards the Sun

aereogramme - complete collection (limited)

a silver mt. zion - horses in the sky

graf orlock - destination time tomorrow (alien pop-up cover)

antony and the johnsons - the crying light

#38 Posted by chrisone (43 posts) -

No, but i want to get As Nasty as They Wanna Be" by 2 Live Crew, just because that cover is so classy.

#39 Edited by TheJohn (553 posts) -

@iWonder said:

@NegativeCero said:

In CD's, they chop off the lows, chop off the highs, and compress it to fit on the disc. With a vinyl it's pure analog - everything's there. So a bass drum feels bassier, a cymbal feels crashier, and everything (theoretically) has more detail.

While this is true, most modern amplifiers are digital, so any sound quality gained from vinyl is then lost somewhere in the great beyond. And most artists today record digital signals and master for a digital production, so even if you had an analog setup you'd still be boned.

However, this is changing. There's been a rather sharp upswing in both vinyl- and turntable sales the last years, and many studios and mastering houses are taking notice and recording for an analog output.

So if sound quality is your sole reason for getting into vinyl, you'd be better off with an older amp, preferably tubes, but any old analog amp is good. And this is a good thing, as most old amps are dirt cheap and often built to last a life time. While there's a slew of releases from around the mid-nineties I guess, until now (depends on genre) that're gonna sound "just" as good as CDs (which is still pretty damn good for most ears), you're gonna have your mind blown if you're into stuff from the seventies. The eighties always sounded shit, so vinyl won't help.

My own collection is ok. I try not to collect as much as just buy stuff I like, but sometimes I get blinded by test pressings and first edition nonsense. I'm mainly into hardcore punk and grind/powerviolence, both genres that never left the format, so all my favorite records are out on vinyl, with bigger (often screen printed) cover art, weird and fun inserts with lyrics and photos etc. The size of a record gives artists more room to play around and express themselves, and they're able to jam in all kinds of stupid shit. I love it.

To be honest, sound quality is the least of my concern, as most of my favorite bands had a recording budget of a hug and a high-five, I just love the format.

EDIT: Check out the post by @mortal_sb: on the previous page for some cool examples of why vinyl is awesome.

#40 Posted by mortal_sb (519 posts) -

yup! most of the records i've posted are gatefolds. so they are these very heavy fold out packages with 180gr vinyl inside. it's pure quality holding these things.

i have the ghostlimb self-titled and the B side has this etching on it: (you can't actually "use" this side, but it looks mighty nice.)

and you can do fun stuff with it, like sleevefaces! (this is me with my jason molina - let me go let me go let me go record)

#41 Posted by TheJohn (553 posts) -

Etchings are effing cool. My favorite is probably the Palatka - End of Irony 12". Not only are there etchings galore, but if you use the small map on the cover and the directions etched in the matrix you can drive to what I assume is their house or rehearsal space. Fun stuff!

Additional info: The matrix on an LP is the space between the grooves and the label in the center. You'll usually find catalog numbers and other technical information here, so it's a treasure trove of information for collectors. Personally, I prefer the ones with dumb jokes.

#42 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

My dad has a collection of 100+ vinyls. Mostly old jazz and prog vinyls.

#43 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@VinceNotVance: That's a nice little collection you got there.

#44 Posted by BBQBram (2202 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

Nope, because I'm not a dinosaur.

@Slay3r1583 said:

Nope. I'm not an audiophile, collector, or music snob. CD's and MP3's are good enough for me.

Why is it that whenever somebody expresses their love for vinyl, people come rushing to explain why they don't need it in their lives as if to defend themselves? Nobody was shitting on other mediums, you just brought that assumption along with you. But no, I guess we're snobs, music nerds or old because we like a medium that's aesthetically pleasing to us. I'm sorry but that dinosaur comment was one of those rare ones that are just stupid without any redeeming argument. Please, fuck off?

#45 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Just one, and it was a gift from Gatecrasher.

#46 Posted by Cheesebob (1232 posts) -

I own the King Of Limbs on Vinyl, Doncamatic by Gorillaz and Madvilliany by MF DOOM

#47 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

No, I do not have any CH2=CH-CH3 laying around...

#48 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

No but my dad has about 2000 vinyl records. Most of it's not that great though.

#49 Posted by 49th (2692 posts) -

I don't own any myself but my Dad is a huge music fan/collector and he has literally a whole room with wall shelves filled with vinyl and CDs, so if I want any type of music I can find it.

#50 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (319 posts) -

Only one, the soundtrack to Bioshock. I didn't even think of playing it when I bought the collector's edition, just the idea of owning Bioshock's soundtrack on vinyl was good enough for me. But a friend of my father gave me his player to listen to it and it was marvelous. Playing that soundtrack on a record player just adds something to it, I can't really explain it. I loved hearing Cohen's Masterpiece on it, with the added crackles and hums from the old record player, absolutely brilliant.

As much as I loved it, I haven't started a collection, or even got  a player. It was down to three reasons. 

1. I don't have a record player and would have no idea what to look for 
2. A  lack of space
3. Vinyl is bloody expensive!

Nevertheless, I hope that one day I can have a nice little record player with a modestly sized collection. 

I look forward to that day.