• 92 results
#1 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

Now I don't see myself as an anti social person or someone that hates the outside world, I love going out with friends and meeting new people, but I'm coming to realize I prefer to be alone most of the time. I even have a good group of friends that love to play games, most of that group only plays Black Ops though..., but I dunno now if I have the choice to go out or stay at home and play a game or read a book I'm picking home 4/5 times. Just curious if anyone else on the boards is like this and do you think it's normal? 

#2 Edited by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

I do, but I wish it wasn't so. It's not necessarily an evil, but it can be if it conflicts with your interests.

It's called Introversion and I think the wiki article is actually a really good read.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introvert

#3 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

I like to have time to myself but I feel like I need time with others or else I just feel weird. I don't think its a bad thing to want to be alone though. As long as you do interact with other people and don't just shut yourself off from the world.

#4 Posted by Burzmali (452 posts) -

Yes, and I rarely get any alone time. It's awful.

#5 Posted by EchoForge (154 posts) -

I feel like that, from time to time, a lot of the time. I grew up an only child, though, so I got used to that. I prefer to play video games that are more solo experiences as well. I generally don`t plan outings on weekend unless it`s a couple of days before and even then (like last weekend), I didn`t tell anyone I was up to anything and pretty much enjoyed a weekend in; I need those once in a while, and probably at a higher rate than `normal``.
#6 Edited by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -
@Rockanomics: Thanks, I'll give it a read. 
EDIT:  I think that introversion applies to me. I'm not afraid of social interactions or anything like that but I don't get as much satisfaction from a social gathering than when I'm alone doing something. Also that whole trust thing also applies to me as I only hang out with people I trust 100%, I have a tight knit group of friends but I trust them with anything. 
#7 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19330 posts) -

It's called being introverted. I am, so I prefer being alone (MBTI type: ISTJ). 

Oh wow, beaten.

#8 Posted by ___pocalypse (561 posts) -

I like being social, but I definitely prefer to spend most of my time by myself. I realized that if I spend every day or all of my free time hanging out with people, I get exhausted really quickly and just don't feel like myself, so I try not to go out all of the time. Nothing wrong with being an introvert, IMO.

#9 Posted by MeatXbeatsXman (238 posts) -

I definitely enjoy my alone time. For the past few years I've had a lot of it, and I'm fine with it; it allowed me plenty of time to hone a lot of ideas. Though, nowadays I'm definitely happy that I'm a lot more social.

#10 Posted by HairyMike87 (1016 posts) -
@RE_Player92: I find myself doing the same thing. I usually act this way during this time of the year. Not really much to do in Jersey when it's being covered by snow. Otherwise, I go out most of the time but I still like to just sit and just veg out in front of the tv.
#11 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
@RE_Player92: yea im the same way i don't mind going out its just that i can have a good time on my own. 

we introverts need to stick together
#12 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

I enjoy alone time and solitude, but the problem is that I get too much of it. I do want to socialize like a normal alien, but the other aliens don't really care to talk to me. Guess I'm too boring for them.

#13 Posted by Nomin (971 posts) -

Being an introvert and being alone can simply be a product of an age where social contact is increasingly becoming minimal and devalued, and in addition to it being totally normal, should compel people to have another look at what 'being alone' means. It is normal unless you crave social contact but do not satisfy that need for various reasons. 

#14 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -
@slightconfuse Especially us introverts who are fullmetal fans :P
#15 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -
@slightconfuse said:
" @RE_Player92: yea im the same way i don't mind going out its just that i can have a good time on my own.  we introverts need to stick together "
sorry. as an introvert i prefer to stick to myself. no offense bro.
#16 Posted by cjmabry (485 posts) -
@Rockanomics said:
" I do, but I wish it wasn't so. It's not necessarily an evil, but it can be if it conflicts with your interests.

It's called Introversion and I think the wiki article is actually a really good read.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introvert "
That was a good read. I, too, will throw my self in the Introversion category. Maybe 70-30 though.
#17 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

I prefer to be with people. It's much more fun to pull off dumb antics with other human beings then with my dog. 

#18 Posted by OldManLollipop (306 posts) -

Yes, because I can do whatever the Hell I want.

#19 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Yea I'm kinda the same way.  I don't mind being alone at all and really enjoy it, but I also enjoy having fun with friends and doing stupid stuff or just hanging out.  I feel like saying it's whatever mood I'm in is a cheap answer but I really can be super introverted but then be really outgoing with a group of friends.

#20 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

i like being alone because: 

1) i can be naked all the fucking time 
2) i can blast music in my house 

in fact, i love being around my friends when i wanna hang out.  but sometimes i just want my family to GTFO of the house so i dont have to jerk off in the shower using my imagination.

#21 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (535 posts) -

Yes, I prefer being alone than being social. It's how I've always been.
#22 Posted by Chris2KLee (2334 posts) -

I definitely need down time to myself now and again. I liked the scene in the new Sherlock Holmes movie where he's trying to block out all the noise while he's waiting in the restaurant. Just need a break from the world, nothing wrong about it.

#23 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I like hanging out with people. The problem is that most of the people I meet suck, so I just prefer to be alone most of the time. Even if I am with friends I do like, if I'm with them too long, I start to get tired of all the talking and activity. Then I would rather hole up in a dark room, and type out words to all of you fine people.

#24 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

I like being with people.

#25 Posted by JayDee (439 posts) -

most of us forums fags is like this. i prefer being around friends or family than being alone, but being in public or at some kind of gathering vs being alone? being alone all day.

#26 Posted by Landon (4139 posts) -

I need my friends or else I'll kill again.

#27 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

#28 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I can only relax when I'm by myself. 

#29 Edited by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -
@RE_Player92: In an incredible happenstance, sometime close to when I was replying to this thread and thinking of it's subject, a good friend of mine told me to watch a movie called Amélie, which speaks to the topic at hand.

I just finished it and I cannot believe how closely it struck me. It's a French film, and a truly beautiful one at that. If you or anyone else here who feels similarly enough decides to watch it, my only fear in suggesting it is that it will not effect you as much as it did I. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some beer + brownies to consume.
#30 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

while, yes i do like being alone. i don't like meeting new people. i guess it just depends on who they are from judging them.

#31 Posted by Fleppie (200 posts) -

I think we as human beings need both social and alone time. And since I have a very social job (which I like) I tend to be alone when I have a day off.

#32 Posted by Where_Am_I (335 posts) -

I'm currently in a dorm with two other guys... There's hardly any privacy/alone time... and it sucks.

#33 Edited by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I need to be alone at times but I don't mind others.

I mind social rules and all that jazz.
If someone's having a birthday I'll drop by, drop a present, eat your food and be gone within an hour.
But that seems to be unacceptable, they rather have me sit up and answer questions to people I don't remember when I walk out the door! :P

#34 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

Guess I'm an introvert too. Small group of real friends, but least I know they're dependable. Plus I'm bad with remembering names.

#35 Edited by xyzygy (9949 posts) -

Yep, I'm an introvert. I like seeing friends but it exhausts me to no end, and fast. I feel like I need to leave them after being around them for a few hours. 

There is a really good book I suggest you read called "The Introvert Advantage" by Marti Laney. It's really awesome. I"m not even done the book and already I've gained more understanding as to why I need alone time to re-energize. 

@Fleppie

said:

" I think we as human beings need both social and alone time. "

1/4 of every person in the world is introverted, and the other 3/4 are all extroverted. There's a theory that says that, throughout human history, there needs to be those of us who spend more time thinking and those of us who spend more time doing. The thinkers are the introverts who give advice to the doers, the extroverts, and in that way we both need each other to work. Because there doesn't need to be as many thinkers as doers (or, you could say, because action is more urgent than thinking), there are a greater number of extroverts.
#36 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

A little bit of both

#37 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -

Yes. I'm extremely introverted.

#38 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

Yes, almost all the time.

#39 Posted by Dagarik (21 posts) -

Socializing in person with people I don't know too well or don't have a common interest with feels like constant work to me and I hate feeling pressured into having to say something/anything because the other person isn't talking and holding up their end of the conversation... I must be really hard to talk to for people who aren't my friends or something. 

I also hate crowds...

#40 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

It's split down the middle for me. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

#41 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Sometimes, but mostly not.

#42 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Yep, I love being alone. I don't really talk that much either, and my family has always hated that. I prefer to keep my mouth shut unless I have something to say. I don't mind being with others a s long as I can go home and just unwind by myself at the end of the day.
#43 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@captain_clayman said:
" i like being alone because:  1) i can be naked all the fucking time 2) i can blast music in my house   in fact, i love being around my friends when i wanna hang out.  but sometimes i just want my family to GTFO of the house so i dont have to jerk off in the shower using my imagination. "
Imagination is the best tool of all. 

I said tool! Wordplay is fantastic.
#44 Posted by Sadaiyappan (78 posts) -

I like a little bit of both.  It takes me a while to get used to the feeling of being around others if I haven't been out in a while.  It's been a long time since I have hung out with people my age socially.  I'm 27 now though, it looks like I'm going to be working here in India and possibly getting married.

#45 Posted by Yummylee (21546 posts) -

Depends on the circumstances. I'm more in favour of hangin' on my lonesome, though only for so long before I eventually begin to crave social interaction @.@

#46 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10917 posts) -

Yeah, I kinda do. Especially now that I'm at college, and have to share a room with someone. 

Moderator Online
#47 Posted by Bigrhyno (505 posts) -

I prefer to be alone the majority of the time, but I also believe it is important to have a healthy social life and try to spend time with family and friends.

#48 Posted by Eric_Buck (1289 posts) -

I like people.

#49 Posted by Korolev (1704 posts) -

I prefer to be alone for longer periods of time than most - but certainly not alone for long stretches of time. If I have to be by myself for more than 48 hours straight... I tend to feel a bit gloomy. Most people need at least some human contact - that's why solitary confinement is considered a punishment. Being by yourself for years and years will almost certainly drive you nutty, and most loners are depressed.  

Having said that, I dislike parties or "hanging out" with people I don't know. I'm not sociable, but I still need to see a human face every now and then.

#50 Posted by Brians (1461 posts) -

on occasion.