Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By Crono
@PsEG said:
" @Crono said:
Of course, we're trading quality for quantity at this point though as most of us will notice that many posts on forums add little to nothing to a conversation and most comments on a forum (where the topic is actually something that can be discussed in detail) lack any real content to them and are usually baseless opinions; opinions with nothing to back them up aside from the poster's feelings. "
The first part I can agree with. Sometimes it appears that post count overrules the actual conversation, and I can't help but wonder if some users view topics by what they can or can't formulate a quick reply to in order to pad their post count. It's a cynical view point, admittedly, and I'm not sure I can discern it from the reality that people simply post in topics they have enough knowledge on to have an opinion or make conversation.  I'm not so sure if baseless opinions can be fully avoided, though. Simplistic "I like this" or "I hate this" opinions don't add much to a conversation, of course, but if I tell you I like a game because I find elements of its gameplay entertaining, that's essentially baseless, is it not? I've just expanded on my feelings to tell you why exactly it trips my fancy. I can't back up the view of superior gameplay with anything but opinion.  While it's certainly not impossible to justify certain viewpoints, I think it's a necessary evil that many of our views on forums such as this will be derived from "baseless" opinion. Not that it ever hurts to elaborate a little. "
Hmm that is a very good point about subjective topics.  I guess that the simplistic opinions do help generate a basic public opinion about a given topic at the very least.  But like you I can never tell if those sort of posters are actually responding so simple because that is their way of doing things, or if they are just trying to pad their posts.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Wolverine

I don't care if the post is long. As long as it is quality I'll read it. If it is garbage I'll just stop reading.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By MrSnow

depends on what the  heading is

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By penguindust

Sometimes.  It depends on how they are formatted.  Too often the problem with long forum posts is a lack of paragraphs.  If the writer breaks down their subject matter into small chunks, even if there are a lot of them, then I can read the topic easier.  It doesn't feel so oppressive by the overwhelming size of it.  Also, I like when posts that are very long include a couple of pictures to illustrate their point.  It gives my eyes a break and my brain a chance to absorb all I've read to that point.  Funny pictures are appreciated, too for the same reason. 

Another important aspect to a long forum post is focus.  If the writer departs from his/her original subject to something completely unrelated, then I'll stop reading there.  If the author has lost interest in their own topic, why should I continue as well?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Usually, but if the thread itself is like 4+ pages long I don't even bother posting because it's either been said already or my post will just get swept up in a mob of other posts.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#56  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Depends what it is about.If its about Jew sex,pass.If its about Michael Jackson alive crap,i dont give a shit.
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By guiseppe

If they're interesting. But most of the time they aren't so I usually don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

only if i agree with them
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By RetroIce4

tl;dr... (j/k, but it depends on the subject. Curiosity and subject matter is what will make me continue.)

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By Whisperkill

tl;dr
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#61  Edited By Symphony

Nah, I don't even read my own novel-length posts. Okay, okay, that's a lie.

I'm happy to read posts of any length that are of a subject that interests me and aren't written as if the author is writing a thesis paper for their doctorate. I enjoy a sense of humor, informality and directness when reading things on the forums, not a detached, professional feel that would be more appropriate in a peer-reviewed newsletter or a classroom. Such posts might prove a very excellent point, but unless I'm in the mood to take on some very heavy reading (which is seldom the case when I'm browsing a video game website's forum), such writing is more likely to put me to sleep.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

Nope. All I see is a wall o' text that could have been broken up a bit more.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#63  Edited By lordofultima
@demontium said:
" @Crono: Look what Al3xand3r wrote "
Three paragraphs? That's really not a lot...
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Brunchies

I sometimes do if the content in the post is interesting.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#65  Edited By Bones8677

If it's formatted in a way that pleases my eyes, and is interesting, then I will read the first couple of paragraphs. After that, I'll generally skim through the rest. Depends on the subject matter of course.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By GreggD
@nanikore said:
" Depends on when I'm reading it and if it's interesting. "
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

they usually end up being rants so i don't bother. 

i wish every post was as follows: 

1. make my first point 
2. make second point 
3. make third point 
etc.... 

They you can respond point by point (taking away the power of most people here).

Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Themanohall

Yeah. That's why I'm on a forum; to read peoples thoughts and opinions. I even enjoy reading unformatted walls of text, as long as they're not spam or fanboyism.

And usually my posts are small, about 2-5 sentences. I enjoy reading posts more than I like making them.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#69  Edited By Crono

Well, I am glad to see this discussion back alive and well...  I really do find this to be an interesting topic.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By buzz_clik

Yeah, I will if it's an interesting subject matter or it has been written well, whether through humour or engaging style. I'm a pretty verbose individual and can't help but write overly florid passages to questions that require a simple 'yes' or 'no'. Accordingly, I think it only right I give people a chance with their great slabs of text. I mean, that'd just be selfish to expect people to read all of mine, but not give a toss about what others thought, right? (note: the author is an only child and reserves the right to be selfish at the drop of a hat. Even if you look like you're about to think about thinking about dropping said hat may cause my selfishness to kick in)

Also, if you're a poster with a history of saying good stuff, I'll probably read your longs posts even if they turn out to be not-so-good. I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt next time around. Oh, and by the way, this sentence is a test to see who has read this load of bollocks: I once put my arm up a cow's backside and enjoyed the feeling. Great examples of this are the news stories on Giant Bomb. Jeff has a long history of saying interesting stuff. Every now and then, I'll just read a story I'm not that into, just because I like reading Jeff's style of writing.

The problem for me comes because I'm usually reading all this at work. I'm trying to have one eye on this place, and one eye on my actual occupation. Y'know, the one I get paid for. So that makes it kinda hard for me to invest decent time reading something. Even if I do read the whole thing, the little goblins chewing at the back of my mind won't stop biting and I find that I haven't really had the crux of the poster's sink in properly.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Red12b

Depends on the subject, the person, the content, the way it's written, If it's interesting,  

Most of the time I do, but if the person who wrote it, cant get to the point or can't write a proper structured article, then I will either skim, or copy and paste to word and create paragraphs myself, I hate, I really fucking hate a wall of text, there is no need for it, it just proves that the OP is to lazy to hit the enter button, or to proof read, 

The only time I will read through a mess of text, Govermentcheese, 

That fucker is funny.

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By imhuntad

Some do and some don't. I usually do if the topic intrigues me.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Usually. Though if it's something I don't really care about, I might just waste my time on something else.

Personally I have a tendency to write some really long blogs, so I appreciate it when anyone takes the time to read and respond.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Never.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Synthballs
@JJOR64 said:
" Depends on the subject matter. "
leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#76  Edited By leky1
@MattyFTM said:
" Usually I'll read the first couple of paragraphs, and if they're interesting I'll read on. "
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I know reading long posts is not appealing to everyone and that is why I tend to use as many bold and italic sentences to point out the most important part of my post as possible so even the hasty readers could receive a general idea of the post. 

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I like to read long posts. Sometimes it's utter nonsense but most of the time, people can really entertain! I like the use of clever English and something interesting to read.

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By crystalskull2
@JJOR64 said:
" Depends on the subject matter. "

This.
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Kohe321

If the subject is interesting, then sure.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By iam3green

it depends on if i like what i'm reading. a lot of times i skim threw paragraphs.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#82  Edited By damnboyadvance

It depends on the subject, and what the first few paragraphs are like. If they are interesting, I'll read on. If not, I just click away instead of trolling.

I don't find myself making really long posts myself. But I try to put in as much detail as possible, so it gets to me when I put my heart into a blog post only a few paragraphs long.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By weltal

As long as they're interesting, so the only long blogs I've read have been MattBodega's. Longest blog I ever read here was his " Pokemon: The Most Important Modern RPG?", good read too. As far as general posts go, I don't see too many that are beyond a reasonable length.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Cornman89

If it's not the original post (read: a rant), I'll more often than not take a look.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85  Edited By Slippy

Only if it's a reply which is so absurd or interesting that I feel the need to comment.