• 106 results
#1 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

#2 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

I personally say university. A lot of people here in the USA say college regardless of if they are going to ITT Tech or a community college or an actual university. What do you peeps say? Do you feel their is a difference between the words?

#3 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

University. Where I'm from, "college" generally refers exclusively to community colleges, trade schools, or anything else that offers two year programs.

#4 Posted by Milkman (16801 posts) -

College. 

#5 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

College refers to any third level educational institute where I'm from.

#6 Edited by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

They mean two completely different things where I live (Canada).

#7 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Uni.

#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11031 posts) -

College.

#9 Posted by Vasta_Narada (446 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

Concurred from BC.

#10 Edited by NTM (7382 posts) -

Well it is college, because not everyone is a university. If I were going to a community college, it wouldn't be correct if someone said I was going to a university, while a university is still college, so the correct way to say it, at least here in the U.S. is college. You can call a university a uni, or university, but that was more used when no one went there. So if I went to community college, as did others, or I was in a CC, while another person was in a university, I would say, yeah, they're in a university. Now though, I just say college. I know no one that goes to CC.

#11 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

When I refer to people, I say college. "college student" or "college professor." 
When I talk about a place, however, I say university. "How do you get to your university?" "Where is the university square?"

#12 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

@Vasta_Narada said:

@No0b0rAmA said:

Concurred from BC.

as a resident of QC i can also approve this

#13 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

The definition is kind of specific; a university is a college that offers both graduate and undergraduate studies. I'm at a university, but I tend to say college because I'm not a graduate student yet.

#14 Posted by AlisterCat (5574 posts) -

Here they are two different things.

#15 Posted by Rapid (1367 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@Vasta_Narada said:

@No0b0rAmA said:

Concurred from BC.

Yup different here in AB also.

#16 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -

It depends on whether it is a college or a university. So... both?

#17 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@Vasta_Narada said:

@No0b0rAmA said:

Concurred from BC.

Verified from Nova Scotia.

#18 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

Universities have colleges in them, don't they? A college is a specific school, universities have multiple schools (law, engineering, etc.).

People usually just say 'I go/went to college' though, I think probably just because it's shorter and because it's true in both cases.

#19 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

The definition is kind of specific; a university is a college that offers both graduate and undergraduate studies. I'm at a university, but I tend to say college because I'm not a graduate student yet.

Pretty much this. If I'm not mistaken though, in the US/Canada, most people would say 'I'm going to college' (regardless of if it's grad/undergrad) while saying 'I'm going to University' is more of a European way of saying it.

#20 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I use both, but I say college more.

#21 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

They're not the same thing

#22 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

I know what both mean but I am currently going to college (i.e. undergrad degree) and that might change when I go to UNC Charlotte for a major.

But people around here generally call it "college".

#23 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

I guess you could say university for mine, but technically they always called themselves an "institute." I mean, it was in our name.

#24 Posted by Catarrhal (835 posts) -
#25 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I just say "goodbye tens of thousands of dollars".

#26 Posted by Ben_H (3361 posts) -

University. College means something other than actual university like a technical school.

#27 Posted by RazielCuts (2955 posts) -

College (or Sixth Form) is where you go to before to do the qualifications you need to get into University to do your degree. (UK)

#28 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

I thought they were two different things? I normally say college, but that's just referring to the general notion of a school after high school. I wouldn't say I'm applying to College of Massachusetts at Amherst or Rutgers College.

#29 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2106 posts) -

@Silvergun said:

@Little_Socrates said:

Pretty much this. If I'm not mistaken though, in the US/Canada, most people would say 'I'm going to college' (regardless of if it's grad/undergrad) while saying 'I'm going to University' is more of a European way of saying it.

I am not going to lie, I learned something new today, and it was in this thread! From the US, most people say college and a lot of time that sometimes covers anything from a crappy Phoenix University to the Unversity of (some State school) to Ivy League, which kind of sucks. I feel like some people are over-estimating their education by saying that they went to college when they really just went to Phoenix or Devry, or a tech school and never finished.

Side rant; I hate it when people say, or imply on Facebook "about" section that they attended and finished "college/"university" when they only went there for a year and now dropped out. It is kind of like they are faking it to their general on-lookers and friends.

#30 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

They mean two completely different things where I live (land of normal milk containers >:( ).

#31 Posted by Panelhopper (180 posts) -

In the UK we say university

#32 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

College (or Sixth Form) is where you go to before to do the qualifications you need to get into University to do your degree. (UK)

#33 Posted by Hunter5024 (5688 posts) -

I say college for everything now, but if I was going to a university I bet I would be a jerk and insist people refer to it that way so I could feel superior.

#34 Posted by Pkshields (810 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

University. Where I'm from, "college" generally refers exclusively to community colleges, trade schools, or anything else that offers two year programs.

Same here, except colleges that offer 2 year courses locally are usually known as Techs as well.

#35 Posted by MonetaryDread (2035 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

#36 Posted by BisonHero (6532 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

Exactly. They specifically invented a word for "school with 4 year undergraduate programs, as well as various other graduate studies", and that word is "university". Using "college" so broadly just confuses the matter of what type of postsecondary institution someone is attending.

#37 Posted by Th3_James (2578 posts) -

I went to college in Canada.

#38 Edited by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I say college simply because I am not an elitist bastard. No, but really, every time I hear someone say "I go to University", or something along those lines, it always makes them sound European to me.

I fell like University should be used more when referring to a specific one, like "The University", rather than "University". If you know what I mean. When referring to higher education I think college is a nice broad term.

#39 Posted by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

#40 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

Even though I go to a university, I still refer to it in the general as "college."

So I'll tell my friends, "I come back from college ______,"or "Hey when are you going back to college?", etc.

#41 Posted by MikkaQ (10293 posts) -

Uni for academic schools, college for the trades.

#42 Posted by Modedude (36 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

Pretty much this, being another British person.

#43 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

University. The establishment I am educated at has University in the title, the place I was at before that had College in the title.

#44 Posted by legendlexicon (97 posts) -

I always use college but I guess I should start saying that I'm going to university.

#45 Posted by Stonyman65 (2709 posts) -

I say Collage, because I'm not European.

#46 Posted by forkboy (1151 posts) -

College is a Further Education facility, University is a Higher Education facility. In the UK at least

#47 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@forkboy said:

College is a Further Education facility, University is a Higher Education facility. In the UK at least

Yah pretty much, though some colleges do those higher education but-not-quite-a-degree courses too.

#48 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

College, that's what I hear 99% of everyone else say too. I'm from the US, Ohio specifically. I'm assuming the UK says it different or something? I'm probably using it in the wrong way sometimes, but everyone knows what I mean.

#49 Posted by wjb (1662 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I know what both mean but I am currently going to college (i.e. undergrad degree) and that might change when I go to UNC Charlotte for a major.

But people around here generally call it "college".

I sometimes forget people here can live in the same city as I do. Initially, I get paranoid and think, in this case, "How do they know about UNCC?!"

I live in America, so I say "college" in general terms. Since I'm in grad school, though, I say "grad school" or "undergrad" to differentiate what school I went/going to, instead of simply saying "I go to college."

#50 Posted by ajamafalous (11998 posts) -

I say college because I live in America and that's what people in America say.