• 123 results
#1 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3743 posts) -

#2 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3743 posts) -

I promise I'm not going to be one of those people that constantly posts nonsense polls to the forums. They annoy me as much as they annoy many of you.

However, I'm in work and I just sneezed and said, "Excuse me." I sneeze probably at least once every day in this office, probably because of all the dust or something. The girl in the cubicle next to me called me out for always saying that after I sneeze though. She thinks it's weird.

I thought that was common courtesy. Isn't it normal to say "excuse me" after a sneeze? Am I an old fogey? Has society crumbled so much so quickly that I didn't even notice? And what's the deal with kids wearing jeans so low you can see what God gave them? I need a nap.

#3 Posted by pyromagnestir (4242 posts) -

Nope. I say "Motherfucker," or something along those lines.

#4 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

so times i do. if people are around and they can here me.

i also say 'bless you' after i hear someone sneeze even though i don't believe in god

#5 Posted by Aquablak (187 posts) -

Nope. Only if I burp, which I try to make inaudible, anyway. I'll say bless you, though.

#6 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

No. I see no point in it, but I don't think it's weird for someone to say excuse me.

#7 Posted by NTM (7263 posts) -

I think I do rarely. I think you would really only feel the urge to say that if you're in public and you do it near someone, if you're in your house and you do it, I don't think you have that urge.

#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I don't sneeze in public. I'm serious! Somehow I can control my sneezing, I don't pressure it in and damage my brain or anything, I just will it away.

Last time I sneezed in public was in the 8th grade I believe.

#9 Posted by HairyMike87 (1015 posts) -

In a formal setting yes. Otherwise no.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (21249 posts) -

In public, sure. Though I'm also apparently one of the few remaining individuals in the world who'll cover my mouth when I yawn. We are losing the fight!

#11 Posted by BBAlpert (1369 posts) -

I do out of habit. I'd probably have a hard time NOT saying it. And I sneeze on a regular occasion, being one of those people with that weird genetic thing that makes them sneeze when exposed to very bright lights (seriously http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex)

#12 Posted by LikeaSsur (1495 posts) -

If I'm around people I haven't known for years and/or I'm in the middle of a sentence, yes. I also say "Bless you" when someone sneezes, which is apparently out of style now.

#13 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3786 posts) -

Yes because I am not a savage.

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (35993 posts) -

I'm more likely to say, "Aw shit! Now everything smells like wet cat!" than anything.

#15 Posted by Chop (1994 posts) -

I do.

Also when I yawn or cough or anything like that.

#16 Posted by forkboy (1115 posts) -

I sometimes say "pardon me" or "excuse me" or words to that effect, but sometimes I don't. I don't do it all the time.

#17 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I never excuse myself, for any bodily functions, ever.

I also don't care about anyone else's bodily functions.

Our bodies function, people should just accept this as fact and not think of it as some kind of weird social stigma.

#18 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

No, I wait for someone to say "bless you" then I say "thank you". If they don't say it then obviously they don't deserve an excuse from me either. Excusing yourself is for burps and gas.

#19 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

I always do it. Kinda just the way I was raised, I guess.

#20 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

No...cuz I'm evil.

#21 Edited by JamesJeux007 (468 posts) -

I usually say "Sorry", because I'm pretty loud when I sneeze. I don't think it's that weird to apologize for being noisy... or should I say... nose-y.

#22 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I do. I've been raised that way, I guess.

#23 Posted by stryker1121 (1345 posts) -

No, what's there to excuse? I usually say 'Bless you' when someone sneezes, though, and find it rude if I'm with people I know and they don't bless me after I sneeze. Is that weird?

#24 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

No, I wait for someone to say "bless you" then I say "thank you". If they don't say it then obviously they don't deserve an excuse from me either. Excusing yourself is for burps and gas.

Exactly. Also it may just be a regional thing, but I have never heard someone say "excuse me" for sneezing. Perhaps a "sorry" here and there if it is one of those multiple sneeze episodes, but that's about it.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

No.

I sneeze pretty dramatically so I generally need time to recover. By the time I'm back up and running I've had several people tell me 'God bless' or 'bless you' or something else. My sneeze is like a combination of yell and snot.

#26 Posted by jkz (4002 posts) -

Yups

#27 Posted by YI_Orange (1128 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

Though I'm also apparently one of the few remaining individuals in the world who'll cover my mouth when I yawn. We are losing the fight!

You're not alone!

On topic: Nope. I don't really sneeze in public though. I always hold it back. Not sure why, probably because it's kind of disruptive.

#28 Posted by Ben_H (3310 posts) -

I say "Excuse me" out of habit. My parents always reinforced doing this kind of thing when I was a kid so now I do automatically.

#29 Posted by DeathbyYeti (742 posts) -

No

I cant control that shit. Its everyone for them-self when I sneeze

#30 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

Proper thing to do.

#31 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

No, I've never heard anyone say excuse me after a sneeze. I'm not kidding.

#32 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Can't say that I do it out of habit so no.

#33 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

It is not very common in this part of the planet and I´ve never done it.

#34 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

In public, sure. Though I'm also apparently one of the few remaining individuals in the world who'll cover my mouth when I yawn. We are losing the fight!

I'm pretty terrible for walking around yawning my head off and exposing my tonsils to the world. I will attempt to make a concerted effort to stifle this behavior now.

I always say 'excuse me' after sneezing, though - and I often say 'bless you' after others have.

#35 Posted by SMTDante89 (2545 posts) -

Usually, yes I do. There are a few times in class though that I don't, don't really know why. Guess it's just because I'm usually quiet in classes and after a big sneeze I'm a bit embarrassed or something, who knows?

#36 Posted by yoshisaur (2639 posts) -

Yeah, but I don't think it's odd when people don't. It's mainly mean't for when you are having a conversation and just a polite way of saying "sorry about that."

#37 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Nope. Sure it's rude to interrupt someone (if you are having a conversation) but I have never said anything like it. It seems like a waste of breath.

#38 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Sneezing is awesome. I do it as loud as I can so everybody around me can enjoy the head-rush I get.

#39 Posted by EerieTraveler (36 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

All of this.

#40 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

I'm with you there, I also seem to be one of the few left that covers their mouth when they cough :|

#41 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

I go: HACHEW OH UGH OH UGH ugh

#42 Posted by Fattony12000 (7040 posts) -

I shit my pants and roll around on the floor.

And yes, I say excuse me afterwards.

#43 Posted by Veektarius (4590 posts) -

Only if interrupting someone or on the phone.

#44 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

Nope, at the same time when I sneeze rarely anybody notices. I don't say bless you either, I guess I have no manners.

#45 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1384 posts) -

Is it one of those explosively loud sneezes? Because those can be disruptive, but if not, it may be a little strange.

#46 Posted by CaLe (3910 posts) -

I don't speak unless absolutely necessary. Sneezing does not permit me to speak, even if others consider it as a courteous thing to do. I must say though, I love sneezing. It's better than sex.

#47 Posted by Kiri90 (256 posts) -
@MikkaQ
This.
#48 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

I like to make a whole dramatic production of sneezing, I probably say it, not sure.

#49 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

I do out of habit. I'd probably have a hard time NOT saying it. And I sneeze on a regular occasion, being one of those people with that weird genetic thing that makes them sneeze when exposed to very bright lights (seriously http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex)

I have that! I thought it was one of those things that happened to everyone, sometimes if I feel like I need to sneeze I'll just stare at a lamp..

#50 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

Shit, I even do it when I yawn.