• 123 results
#51 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I don't see why sneezing is either rude or Satanic, so I don't usually say "excuse me" or "bless you" when I or anyone else does it.

#52 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

I do unless i'm with my friends/family. At work and in public places where I might not know the people around me I always say "Excuse Me".

#53 Edited by MentalDisruption (1639 posts) -

Nope, unless the whole room takes notice of my sneeze and starts to look at me like I disrupted them. Whenever I sneeze I usually just get a bless you from a person or two and then i'll say a friendly thank you back.

#54 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@frankfartmouth said:

I don't see why sneezing is either rude or Satanic, so I don't usually say "excuse me" or "bless you" when I or anyone else does it.

I was told as a kid that sneezing causes one's heart to literally stop for a quick second which technically means you're dead for that split second of sneezing which is why we say Bless You to one another because we are proud to see that they recovered from death. Yeah... I know... my bubby wasn't the most rational person in the world.

#55 Posted by MOAB (390 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Yes because I am not a savage.
#56 Posted by Beforet (2922 posts) -

I say whatever courtesy I come up with at the time. Excuse me is one of them.

#57 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

No, I'm supposed to be blessed after I sneeze.

#58 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Only if it's a snart.

#59 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

No, I don't think I've ever heard anybody say excuse me when they sneeze.

#60 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I say Bless me, does that count?

#61 Posted by Marcsman (3209 posts) -

Yes without etiquette we are just animals

#62 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

I usually say nothing and stare at the person who is closest by and intimate that i am going to wipe my nose leavings on them. Real Alpha.

#63 Posted by BBQBram (2238 posts) -

Only when I sneeze three times in a row or something.

#64 Posted by jsnyder82 (735 posts) -

I only half-sneeze. And I never say excuse me.

#65 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

Nope. I say "Motherfucker," or something along those lines.

I do the same thing! Usually if it's a real strong one or two regular ones in a row.

Why would you say excuse me? It's on the other people to be polite and say "bless you" or something...

Do your sneezes go like

*sneeze*

"excuse me"

"bless you"

"thank you"

or do you not say thank you, you savage?

#66 Edited by Indiana_Jenkins (391 posts) -

"Excuse me" is for accidental burps, you weirdo.

#67 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I dont say anything, and I feel weird when someone blesses me for sneezing. Especially when they tenderly touch my shoulder, lean in close and whisper into my ear gently, "bless you..."

#68 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@AyKay_47 said:

*sneeze*

"excuse me"

"bless you"

"thank you"

or do you not say thank you, you savage?

That is exactly how it went down this morning.

#69 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

Sometimes, so yes I guess.

#70 Posted by Hunter5024 (5711 posts) -

I glare at people defiantly and ask them "What the fuck are you gonna do about it?"

#71 Posted by Draugen (651 posts) -

I say excuse me if I was cut off mid sentence by the sneeze.

#72 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5286 posts) -

I say bless you or bless me even though I'm an atheist. It's just a force of habit.

#73 Posted by blueinferno (457 posts) -

Nah I usually say something like "oh shit" or "damn"

#74 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

@Wrighteous86:

Well that's just silly. I'd feel like I would need to carry on into an actual conversation after all that talking.

I think the thing is that most people I run into don't let me get a word out before they say "bless you", so no one develops a need to say excuse me. And, if it's a quiet place with a lot of people then either try and hold it back, or don't make any more noise than you already have.

#75 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@AyKay_47: Yeah. Most all of my sneezes are quite rough, and usually they come in fits. My dad's the same way. As was his dad if I recall correctly. Saying "Motherfucker," or "God damn," or "Son of a bitch," is really the only proper response to such a fit.

I will say excuse me before I sneeze if I feel it coming on and am talking to someone or someone's talking to me, but I don't see the point for saying it after a sneeze.

#76 Posted by AoDfan (29 posts) -

Nope. Not like I'm doing it on purpose.

#77 Posted by arch4non (443 posts) -

I've always thought the whole "bless you" thing was a pretty stupid ritual.

#78 Posted by commonoutlier (136 posts) -

I usually don't have time to say "excuse me" before someone says "bless you" or "gesundheit," so I usually end up saying "thank you" instead. But I think I automatically say "excuse me" if it doesn't happen...maybe? It's so automatic I don't suppose I pay attention to if I do or not...whatever happens, happens. I guess "excuse me" is more of a burping thing anyway, perhaps...

#79 Posted by TheHBK (5488 posts) -

I say, "Oh shit, sorry."

#80 Posted by Fat_Magnum (68 posts) -

I say "Oh sweet Greatfather Nurgle bless this mine sneeze that it may infect the world, according to thy precepts."

I usually just say "Pardon." unless I'm alone.

#81 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

It depends on the setting. If I am around close friends or something I probably won't. I definitely would if I was at work or in a more formal or public setting.

#82 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

I say 'scuze me

#83 Posted by StarvingGamer (8287 posts) -

No, I typically say something along the lines of "eugh, sorry" or something similar.

#84 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

If somebody else did, but why say it too myself? I don't say "are you alright" when I bang my own leg on a coffee table.

#85 Edited by PenguinDust (12533 posts) -

Yes and I say "Bless you" or "Gesundheit" if someone else sneezes.

Manners, people.

#86 Posted by geirr (2586 posts) -

Depends who I'm with.

#87 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (710 posts) -

"Excuse me" only makes sense if you sneezed while someone was in the middle of talking to you or while you were talking to someone.

#88 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

I always say "pardon me".

#89 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1250 posts) -

It's normal, don't worry.

#90 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Of course not.

#91 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Sometimes.

#92 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I don't say anything. I think it's weird when people feel obligated to say something.

#93 Posted by Spoonman671 (4648 posts) -

Only if I sneeze five times in a row, which I never do.

#94 Posted by Scrawnto (2452 posts) -

@Kung_Fu_Viking said:

"Excuse me" only makes sense if you sneezed while someone was in the middle of talking to you or while you were talking to someone.

Exactly. If you interrupt someone, you should show that you are aware of that fact, but if you are just at your cubicle or whatever and you sneeze, there is nothing to excuse. No offense was committed.

#95 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5554 posts) -

Yep, I wonder when a poll like this will be 95-99% no and 1-5% yes; I suppose when the current generation has children.

#96 Posted by Gamer_152 (14081 posts) -

If there are people around, yes, I do.

#97 Posted by medacris (662 posts) -

When I'm with others, I do, particularly because my allergies are really bad.

#98 Posted by Nightriff (5101 posts) -

Yes, yes I do

#99 Posted by laserbolts (5324 posts) -

Always. Also never burp or fart around people.

#100 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Nope. I feel that anyone who thinks I should excuse myself for going through an ordeal like sneezing should be excused from society. I guess if it's a very sudden sneeze and I don't have time to cover my nose (which is very, very rare), it could warrant my apology. Otherwise, my sickness deserves pity, not my contrition.