Do you still ask for video games for Christmas?

• 129 results
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Poll Do you still ask for video games for Christmas? (354 votes)

Yes 53%
No 47%

So I was talking to a friend of mine about Christmas. When I told him about maybe waiting to play Assassin's Creed IV till Christmas, he said "You still ask for games?"

My parents and other family members always insist on me making a Christmas list. I have always asked for video games for Christmas and they don't care. Since I was a kid and to now, being 23 I still ask for some games.

So I figured I would make this poll to see if you guys still ask for video games for Christmas, young or old.

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Video_Game_King

You're assuming that I celebrate Christmas.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I haven't really asked for video games for Christmas since I was a teenager. I mean, my friends and family are welcome to find some weird video game-themed present, like one of those books about the history of the video game industry or something, but I tend to stay on top of new releases enough that my backlog is bad enough with the games I buy for myself. I don't need more games added on top of that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I'm in my thirties. When my family asks me what I want for Christmas, there's usually at least one game I'll ask for. There's no shame in asking for a video game for Christmas if that's what you want. I don't know where people get that idea. It's up to others if they feel like giving you that particular gift.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I never did. Getting the Need for Speed Triple Pack was a shot from the blue.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

or any Holiday. Can't edit my post for some reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, It's usually the easiest thing to ask for because other things I want/need are quite often much more expensive and I don't want to ask for them.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@jjor64:

.....What else would I ask video games for?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JJOR64

@jjor64:

Some made up Holiday you made that takes place at the end of the year that involves giving gifts to others and/or receiving gifts.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We've long stopped celebrating Christmas. And birthdays. It's all arbitrary to me now.

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64:

Dear video games, could you please be fun to play and worth my money? Please and thank you!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64 said:

@video_game_king said:

@jjor64:

Some made up Holiday

As opposed to a real holiday that you find crystallized in nature?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MY best friend and I are buying video games for each other and as for my parents if I do not get something like clothes I will get money which I will probably spend for video games XD

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HerbieBug

No. Looking back on it, I only received games for Christmas maybe once or twice in my entire child and young adulthood before I could afford to feed the habit myself. Money was tight in the herbiebug household.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

yup, even though I'm 30, there are children around who often ask me to join in on unwrapping gifts from "santa". Because it SUCKS to get a new monogram PEN, or a shaving kit.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have the compulsion, but I usually have all the games I've wanted to own by the time Christmas rolls around. I see nothing wrong with asking at any age though.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

@video_game_king said:

The most correct answer.

Honestly, I'm a grown-ass adult with a disposable income. If I want to play a game, I won't wait until I receive it during a gift-giving holiday. There's no shame in asking, I just won't.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I usually don't wait for the holidays to receive video games, but I will affirm this practice in the case of hardware. Getting computer parts and video game consoles for Christmas is generally what I do.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Right now I'm asking for rent money!

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RandomHero666

In my family, starting about 5 years ago we don't even bother buying gifts for each other.

I buy something for my 8 year old nephew and 3 year old Niece but other than that, we just split the cost of food.

Saves money, and no need to be out in the silly xmas shopping shenanigans

MaxMikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually buy my own video games and will throw stuff I'm only vaguely interested in on my wish lists -- but, to be honest, haven't really wanted anything I wasn't willing to buy myself ever since I got a job.

My wish lists are just going through the motions for friends and family. I usually discourage people buying me gifts.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By Sooperspy

Eh usually one or two in the past few years. Not sure what I want for this year's Christmas. Maybe AC4? Probably get a psn card instead and get some downloadables.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My family hasn't bought me any presents since I was like 12 so I don't ask for anything. If I did though, video games would probably be on the list. I might go for something a little more practical though since I do a pretty good job of keeping up on the games I want on my own. Personally I think the best presents are the ones that you really want but would never buy. Nunchaku: The Ultimate Christmas Gift.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, amazon money that I than use for games. I actually continue to tell my family not to get me anything but they don't listen.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no...becoz i can get any game any time of the year...i ask for raw pure money now xD

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to get gaming stuff every Christmas when I was a kid and into my teens but the last game my parents bought me for Xmas was AC2. I didn't ask for it but it was a nice surprise. Every year since then though my mum has asked if I would like the new one but I've declined since, usually asking for more "adult" things.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Yeah my mom has always insisted on getting things for everyone, so I ask for a couple late-year releases (usually ends up being Nintendo games). No one enjoys having to guess what someone would like, especially if it's an adult with expendable income.

That said, I fully admit that I still enjoy unwrapping gifts.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By artelinarose

No. I don't ask for anything because I know I won't get anything anyway. Nobody remembers me when Christmas time rolls around.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 23 and my parents aren't super fond of video games, so no I don't ask for them for Christmas. There's lots of other stuff I need and honestly, I haven't wanted to ask for a game for Christmas since I was 17 or so.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

@jjor64 said:

@video_game_king said:

@jjor64:

Some made up Holiday

As opposed to a real holiday that you find crystallized in nature?

I guess your day was pretty open, huh?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My parents usually insist on getting me something but i stopped getting games years ago as i just buy what i want now, its better to let them feel like there getting me something useful or something i wouldn't go out of my way to buy anyways, they actually bought me a gun safe one year so that was a cool surprise. Moneys tight and i usually dont want them to get me anything though.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yup.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's nothing else I want, sure, why not.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I got asked to stop wishing for toys and games a long time ago. So I just stopped wishing for things. I buy whatever I want anyways, so it's not really a big deal. I'm not much of a traditional person anyways.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, since I'm 18, still living at home and don't have enough of my own income to buy a ton of games (I can buy about 1 a month) I'll typically ask for a few games for christmas. My parents are still doing santa stuff for my youngest sister (which will probably come to an end soon) so I ask "santa" for a game, my parents will usually get me a game, and then everyone else I'll just say "cash please" if they ask me what I want (They know the drill at this point). I can't get one individual person to buy me a new console, or a PC part, or a piece of music equipment because that shit's expensive. But if all of the aunts and uncles and other relatives give me 20-50 dollars (or 100 from my grandparents :D) I can combine those funds to buy something during the post christmas sales. Games are really the only specific gift I ask for anymore.

Blomakrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I don't. Console games in my country cost about 100 $ so asking for some ps3 game is asking a lot. Instead I just buy them on steam for a fraction of the cost.

In my family, starting about 5 years ago we don't even bother buying gifts for each other.

Ah that sounds so great. I wish my family would do this as well. Honestly I feel like the whole gifts part of christmas brings me down and stresses me out much more than I enjoy it. Sure one out of every 20 gifts is awesome, but I feel like it's really not worth it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yah but I'm 29 so my mom just laughs..

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artelinarose said:

No. I don't ask for anything because I know I won't get anything anyway. Nobody remembers me when Christmas time rolls around.

No Caption Provided

But seriously I have the opposite problem. Being one of the few people in a giant family of bums to have a job and thus, money, everyone expects me to hand it out like candy. I ain't Jesus, motherfuckers.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By falserelic

I haven't actually celebrated Christmas ever since my brother died. Those days of asking what I want for Christmas is long gone.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ask for expensive collector's editions and such. I can afford the normal versions generally on my own.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, but not in the volume I used to. I get maybe one or two.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I specifically ask that they don't get me anything as I'd rather not participate in rampant consumerism. I still get video games anyway. Usually gift cards or bargain bin stuff. Last year was a Winter Olympics knock off from Deep Silver and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. That Winter Olympics knock off was pretty good.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. But my brother usually gets me one anyway. He knows what I like so it is always something good. My parents haven't bought me a game-related thing since they got me a DS in 2004. My mom somehow got me a launch one. I didn't think I would get one because they were so hard to find. I was so happy.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually ask for one or two still and I'm in my late 20s. This year I'll get my Mario 3D World fix this way.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Clothes and cash are usually what I ask for, because I'm an exciting person. I wear the shit out of my shoes by the time Xmas rolls around anyways, and I could use a toaster. If I end up not spending my money on shit like that I usually buy a game or two on Steam.

My mom, however, still asks for a few games every year. I usually end up buying her the new Assassin's Creed or Batman, dunno which I'll do this year.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I can usually afford my own games, so I never really ask for any. If I do ask for one, my brother is usually the one who'll get it. A couple of years ago, we both ended up getting each other NFS Hot Pursuit out of coincidence.

I don't see any problem in asking for one no matter your age. It's your hobby and if you have the opportunity to have someone else fund it for you, then why the hell not?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes because 60 dollars is the appropriate value for gifts in my economic situation. I'd also be uncomfortable receiving anything worth more than a hundo.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#48  Edited By SMTDante89

Usually one or two, one if it's a full-priced game (or a little extra in the case of Disney Infinity for my birthday earlier this year) or maybe a couple if they're discounted games or full-priced handheld games.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it's the only thing I ask for at Christmas. This year I'm hoping to get an xbox 360 (£80-£90) and a couple games (£10-£15)

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I usually buy my own stuff, but there is seldom anything I actually want outside of games, so I'll leave something for my mom to get me just because she really wants to give me stuff