• 131 results
Posted by JJOR64 (18882 posts) 7 months, 22 days ago

Poll: Do you still ask for video games for Christmas? (353 votes)

Yes 53%
No 47%

So I was talking to a friend of mine about Christmas. When I told him about maybe waiting to play Assassin's Creed IV till Christmas, he said "You still ask for games?"

My parents and other family members always insist on me making a Christmas list. I have always asked for video games for Christmas and they don't care. Since I was a kid and to now, being 23 I still ask for some games.

So I figured I would make this poll to see if you guys still ask for video games for Christmas, young or old.

#101 Posted by MonetaryDread (1987 posts) -

I have reached that age where I am the one buying the Christmas presents for other people. I am the one who has to buy videogames for other people. =(

#102 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

My parents just give me money now instead of buying me stuff which I prefer.

#103 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2527 posts) -

I'm 45 years old and I still ask for games. I asked for certain games and everyone knows ONLY to buy what I ask for and nothing else. Believe it or not games or DVDs are easier for people; you cna buy them everywhere and the system type and name is easy enough for most people to do. Buying clothing is about style & fit...so they are terrible gifts. Electronics are tricky because color and model can get confusing, and the electronics are want are invariable expensive. DVDs really depend on what you own or what you have watched.

The only open ended gifts I like are books, art, empty picture frames, gourmet food, or gift cards. For most gifts, I tell people EXACTLY what I want. I politely and discreetly asked for the sales slip so I can return it anything that just won't work.

#104 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1017 posts) -

I stopped asking for gifts after I turned 16, once I got a job it felt weird asking for stuff.

#105 Edited by laserguy (432 posts) -

Im forty and jobless I dont ask for nothing.

#106 Posted by Asurastrike (2157 posts) -

I don't ask for anything for Christmas. I buy what i want for myself.

#107 Posted by DukesT3 (1888 posts) -

When I was 23 I'm sure I did, since I worked a fairly low income job at the time my parents and some relatives would get me like two or three games total. Being 27 now, I'm pretty sure my parents would scoff and give me a "fuck off" look.

#108 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4605 posts) -

26, and I think I'm getting AC4 and Bravely Default for Christmas. What else am I going to ask for? I have to buy all the practical shit myself, Christmas should be about fun.

#109 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Yeah I'm in university so it's the only time I can get games without choosing between them and rent/eating/ partying.

#110 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5125 posts) -

I'm almost 20 years old and I asked my parents for the new Zelda game for Christmas. Although I'm perfectly capable of purchasing it myself, they asked and I answered.

#111 Edited by KaneRobot (1396 posts) -

Sure, although if it's because of a parent asking for gift ideas, I refuse to let them just go to Best Buy or whatever. I ALWAYS buy it myself at the retail source that has it cheapest, and then I give it to them to wrap, and they reimburse me for it. Very soulless and non-Christmasy for sure. But I take a lot of solace in the fact they don't spend 60 bucks on something I can track down for 20 or whatever.

#112 Posted by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -

No, the people I know don't know anything about games and I'm not sure what I want anyway. Additionally, I'd feel weird if any gift giver paid more for a game that I knew I could get cheaper on Steam or some online sale. So, I usually say get me a gift certificate to Bestbuy or something similar. As crazy as it sounds, I've reached the point in my life where I prefer getting socks, underwear, sweaters, etc...over games. Buy me the necessities that I am too lazy or too busy to get myself.

#113 Edited by ZombiePie (5558 posts) -

Well...NOT ANYMORE!

Moderator Online
#114 Posted by ReCkLeSs_X (457 posts) -

When I was away at college I did, primarily because I didn't game during the semester. Now that I'm out, I just play that stuff when I want/when a good deal comes around. I just ask for money really, to reimburse me somewhat.

#115 Edited by KaneRobot (1396 posts) -

@turambar said:

I feel like asking for a specific gift kind of undermines the point of a gift giving holiday.

I don't, since the vast majority of the time the question "what do you want for Christmas?" is presented prior to me asking. What's worse than asking for something? Coming back with a vague and frustrating "oh I don't know, whatever you get is fine" or even worse "you don't have to get me anything!" when there is no chance in hell that you're not buying each other gifts.

geraltitude said:

If there's anybody that thinks you can't/shouldn't receive games for Christmas when you're a certain age they can get fucked. What kind of old world mentality is that?

YOU STILL BUYIN KIDS TOYS WUT GO N WORK ON THEM RIGS LIKE A MEIN

This is the best response so far. Seeing crap like "I'm too old to ask for video games" is sad.

#116 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I never ask for video games. I can buy those myself. I want people to surprise me instead. I'm buying my brother Rocksmith 2014 though. It's the perfect teaching tool for him.

I'm never asking for clothes after last year. My grandma got me a knitted sweater that made me look like a rapist.(Into the Salvation Army box it went)

#117 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Nah, I buy anything I need and I purposely tell my parents to save some money for themselves. I already bought an XONE and a new car alongside paying off my fall semester so I'm BROKE! :P

#118 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

I ask for a video game at Christmas, because otherwise it might be months before I get round to buying it myself.

For example, my mother has just bought me Link Between Worlds. At 30+ quid, it's something I'd say to myself "I'll get that at a later date when I've more money to spare" and then never get round to it because I've more pressing matters deserving my money; bills, food, daughter etc

Anyhow, can't wait to play it Christmas Day! Hahaha

#119 Posted by MightyDuck (1490 posts) -

Of course! I'm 26 and still ask for one or two games. The best part is my wife, family ,and in laws have no problem buying games for me for Christmas.

#120 Posted by Roger_Klotz (764 posts) -

No, not anymore. I usually end up buying the games that I want at release or when they drop in price. Usually get something I really need from my parents. This year I got my gift early, which was a new coat.

#121 Edited by darkvare (757 posts) -

i ask for expensive toys from japan cause i can get video games everyother day by just walking to the mall

#122 Edited by briangodsoe (487 posts) -

I'm 30 and fuck yeah I still ask for games. Mostly that's what my brother and I buy for each other but also because my money needs to go to other things now like feeding my child and not just my hobby. You do what you can with what you've got.

#123 Edited by Dimsey (946 posts) -

I buy video games myself year round.
On Christmas I ask for boring stuff that I probably actually need, like clothes.
Though someone is usually nice enough to get me a game or two in addition to that, so it's all win-win.

#124 Edited by Tom_omb (325 posts) -

Yes, my Mom demands a list and my birthday is in December as well, so they go together. I'll have to wait to play Zelda 3DS and Mario, and it's kind of killing me.

#125 Posted by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

No. I really should.

#126 Posted by Shiro2809 (54 posts) -

Eh, last thing I actually asked for was a Ps3 + LBP. I haven't asked for anything since then, if I'm asked what I want I'd probably just say some money so I can use it however I wish.

#127 Posted by SteadyingMeat (1103 posts) -

Yep.

#128 Posted by Wuddel (2077 posts) -

Get rid of "real" presents all together. I get my parents a big box of Swiss chocolate for nearly 10 years now. Thats it. And they got me my flight home, when I was poor. Presents are for children.

#129 Edited by Superkenon (1349 posts) -

It's pretty common thing for me to both give and receive video games as presents. Mostly giving though. If there's a game I want, I usually just get it myself, so it's a pretty slim avenue for someone to go down. It's up to me to make sure the others have the games they need, though...!

So I usually get practical stuff. Which is good, since I'm not likely to get such things for myself.

#130 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Nope, Amazon gift cards

#131 Posted by hermes (1349 posts) -

No.

I often buy the games I am interested and I am the only person in my family that is into games. Because of that, any game they might buy is either: something I am not interested in or something I already played.