• 87 results
#1 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

#2 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1736 posts) -

I was going to say only digitally, then I remembered a CD I bought from an artist in Central Park recently. So generally if I like some low key artist whose music would be hard to find otherwise.

#3 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Often. I prefer physical CDs to digital media and I prefer albums to singles. Though I'll definitely buy something digitally if it's on sale on Amazon and it's not already an "I want to own this forever" type find.

#4 Edited by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

I've never bought a music CD...

I also don't listen to that much music, calm down RIAA

#5 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

@Paul_Is_Drunk: Same here. I mostly purchase CDs that are hard to find or the bands that I totally dig. I also buy video game and movie soundtracks.

#6 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

All the time. They're generally cheaper than digitally downloading the album, and I like to read through the little booklet that sometimes comes with them.

#7 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Last time I purchased a music CD was Star Wars Episode I OST. I buy digital now on iTunes.

#8 Posted by MoseSSesoM (235 posts) -

"Absolutely, I enjoy collecting them"

#9 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

@CookieMonster said:

I like to read through the little booklet that sometimes comes with them.

Me too. That's one of the things I look forward to every time I buy a CD. It's fun to read the lyrics, look at the pictures, read a few blurbs from the band and also to sniff that awesome booklet. :P

#10 Posted by falserelic (5328 posts) -

I used to burn cds off of my computer back in my high school days. But nowadays I just download them.

#11 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1698 posts) -

Unless it comes with something else I buy (ex CE or SE games) I`ve been all digital for several years now.

#12 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

@Psykhophear said:

and also to sniff that awesome booklet. :P

...wat?

#13 Edited by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

I like having game soundtracks in physical form but all other music I just buy digitally.

#14 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

@CookieMonster: I like the smell of new CD booklets, even books :D.

#15 Posted by Svenzon (713 posts) -

If they're really really cheap. Otherwise I just use Spotify. I'd love to have a large collection of CDs, but I don't have room for it.

#16 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Not CD's. I mainly buy vinyl and digital.

#17 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

@joshthebear said:

Not CD's. I mainly buy vinyl and digital.

That's cool. Last year I bought two Metallica vinyls and I love it.

#18 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Yup and Vinyls too. 

#19 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

what is this.. cd..... you talk about?

#20 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

I would never buy anything that comes in a jewel case.

#21 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

I'm pretty sure I've never bought any sort of music in my life. I remember having a Spice girls CD when I was young, but I'm not sure if I borrowed or bought that lol.

#22 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1803 posts) -

CD Warehouse is a chain of pawn shops that sell some pretty awesome CDs. Sometimes, anyway.

#23 Posted by EuanDewar (4758 posts) -

The way I normally do shit is I buy the digital version then if I'm really into the album I get the vinyl. I like it that way.

#24 Posted by cheezfang (11 posts) -

I used to buy CDs with great frequency but now I might only buy a couple a year, if that. I never buy digital music though. It's either CD or listen to the stuff I like on Spotify or Youtube

#25 Posted by Sweep (8817 posts) -

I very rarely buy music at all. I tend to just listen to free podcasts or, seeing as my work is pretty relaxed about that stuff, listen to music on last.fm or youtube

If I do buy anything it tends to be by D&B artists that I want to support, and when I do it's always digital.

#26 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

No I don't, I bought a lot of cds in high school but changed to digital while still purchasing cds of artists I really like, but I haven't done that in a few years now.

#27 Posted by kogasu (148 posts) -

Yes I do when I can. I hate buying music digitally. I haven't bought any in a while but there are a few bands I like to support and stuff.

#28 Posted by Servbot24 (3 posts) -

I would never dream of purchasing music digitally, unless it was rare and in HIGH quality... and even then I would most likely just download it (wink wink) and send a donation directly to the artist. Generally speaking though, physical only. I used to buy a couple albums every week but the last year I've had to be more frugal. Hopefully I can pick back up soon.

#29 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (529 posts) -

I enjoy collecting them. I realize there's little to no return on investment if you want to sell them (every buyback program I've ever checked into offers around .50 to 2.00 per cd), but I still like having them.

#30 Posted by DeF (4801 posts) -

I buy music pretty much exclusively on physical media (except when not available). I like the superior audio quality and that it's "safe" on my shelf and not reliant on some service or hard drive or having login data present. Also, booklets!

#31 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (281 posts) -

I buy CD's when they're Hip-Hop CD's and my brother will enjoy playing them in his car after I've ripped it. Or if it's a Five-Star album, then I will buy it.

#32 Posted by TheJohn (553 posts) -

Vinyl and digital

#33 Posted by InfiniteSpark (296 posts) -

I buy music, mostly vinyls ever since I purchased my turntable a couple of years ago. I'll only buy CDs if it's an album that I'm really interested in and it's the only physical format available, such as the recent My Bloody Valentine reissues.

#34 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

Buy CD's and Vinyl, me. Only buy digital if its the only format available or if the price difference is huge between that and a physical copy.

Surprisingly I almost always find the CD to be the cheapest version, even with printing costs, case etc. Sometimes you'll get a digital copy for free when you purchase the release on CD or Vinyl, which is fucking brilliant and something more record labels should do.

Those Vinyl & CD bundles are great too, recently saw a brand new release in a bundle - 3x12" in a beautiful gate-fold cover along with the CD, all for just £20. Love it! Saves me a few bob as I do like to double dip sometimes.

#35 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Yes though will go after mp3 versions sometimes but most of my music is often not popular enough to get mp3 formats on amazon so stuck with getting cds physically.

#36 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

It's been a long while since I got any music on a physical format, but if I was in a store and I saw a CD I liked the look of that was reasonably priced, I'd probably get it.

#37 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

Yes, but only the artists that I really want to support. Other than that it's Youtube and Spotify for me.

#38 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

No, music is one item where I agree that the clutter is unnecessary. I used to have hundreds of CDs, cassettes and record albums, but now I have one small drawer full. Everything else is on various hard drives. An Ipod is so much easier to keep than a box of CDs flipping all around the foot-space of my car.

#39 Posted by zoozilla (977 posts) -

I love going into record shops and looking for sweet deals on used CDs. You don't get that on iTunes.

#40 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1693 posts) -

I will only buy digital if that's my only option. I greatly prefer to own the physical disc, though. I have a pretty large and always-expanding CD collection that I take pride in. There's a special feeling and certain satisfaction you get when buying a CD that just isn't there when you download an album. I have a general disdain for digital distribution.

#41 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

Nope, last time I bought a CD was probably about 5 years ago. Now Spotify is where it's at.

#42 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I stopped buying CDs like over 10 years ago, when I just ripped my whole collection and started pirating everything (I was a stupid kid) but then iTunes came to Canada in like 2005, so I started buying my music from there. Now I've gone even more backwards and have started buying vinyl copies of albums. Gets annoying though if I really like an album, I'll have bought it on iTunes on on vinyl.

#43 Posted by Cheesebob (1231 posts) -

All the time. For shit I like of course.

#44 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Yeah, but not because I like collecting them! I'm kind of forced to if I want my Japanese music fix.

#45 Posted by Galiant (2179 posts) -

Why would you buy something from an artist or genre you don't like? Weird poll. No option for me.

I use a music streaming service. Last CD I bought was Radiohead's latest album. If there's music I can't find on my music streaming service, I buy it digitally. I used to buy stuff from iTunes, but I have since realized that they suck. A lot of the bands I like allow you to buy digital downloads of their music from their sites, so I do that instead.

Fuck iTunes.

#46 Posted by predator (349 posts) -

I buy vinyl.

#47 Posted by CheapPoison (724 posts) -

I would never buy my music digitally. Unless flaq or something like that is available. But then it start taking up a ton of bandwith.

#48 Posted by Kaiserreich (684 posts) -

I've bought maybe 5 CDs my whole life. I wasn't into music for a long time and by the time I was music was easily available digitally.

#49 Posted by Eviternal (192 posts) -

I do, but less frequently than I used to. Last album was Tom Waits' Bad As Me.

#50 Posted by AlexW00d (6185 posts) -

I have never bought any music digitally. I like to give the artists some of the money I pay for the CD, so I buy direct from them as often as I can.