• 68 results
#1 Posted by j0lter (235 posts) -

#2 Posted by JOSHardson (79 posts) -

Yes, but only because that's still the only way to pay some bills. Usually my water bill is late because of it.

#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Nope. I order a few checkbooks and I've used them once like two years ago.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

The last time I wrote a check was in high school, when I got my first check book. I owed a kid $1.25 for a soda, and wrote him a check. 

...he never cashed it.

#5 Posted by Sanity (1906 posts) -

For my medical bills and the like i do but thats about it.

#6 Posted by j0lter (235 posts) -

@TooWalrus: That is the best way to get out of owing someone money I've ever seen.

#7 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Nope. Drives me nuts when I run into some archaic form of payment that only accepts them as I then have to go to the bank and get one or two just for that one dam thing. I just use my credit card for everything and online banking to transfer between the two. I don't remember the last time I actually handled physical money. It's all digital and plastic for this guy.

#8 Posted by MrSlapHappy (182 posts) -

I don't but I have been working on getting an apartment and apparently its common practice for them to not take cash or debit cards. So I will be getting a checkbook so I dont need a money order to pay rent. I might end up using it to pay utilities too I havent thought that far out yet.

#9 Posted by benpicko (2008 posts) -

inb4cheques

#10 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -
@j0lter: Yeah, I thought I was pretty clever... 

On an unrelated note- your avatar makes me sad, the other day I beat P3 for the first time and... well, you know.
#11 Posted by Scrawnto (2446 posts) -

I only use them to pay rent. I've actually never lived somewhere where you could pay for rent any other way.

#12 Posted by j0lter (235 posts) -

@TooWalrus: I went ahead and did a second play through. It hit me a lot more in the second play through because i was sitting there dumbstruck and what happened at the end of that game lol.

#13 Edited by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -

Fuck checks. Debit card all day son.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (24730 posts) -

Only rarely. The only thing I pay for regularly with checks anymore is my electric bill. Though I did send my brother a check to pay back my share of a birthday gift we're getting Mom just yesterday.

#15 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@j0lter: Yeah, I thought I was pretty clever... On an unrelated note- your avatar makes me sad, the other day I beat P3 for the first time and... well, you know.

God, now you guys just reminded me...Damn it.

#16 Posted by j0lter (235 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: Feel that depression :D

#17 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

Yeah, but always for the same 3 things. Electric, Gas, and rent.

#18 Posted by mosespippy (4173 posts) -

Rent is pretty much the only thing I use them for. I keep important documents like my passport and birth certificate in my cheque book though, because I know it will only ever be in my locked desk at home. It's an easy way to know where it is when I need them.

#19 Posted by Demoskinos (14823 posts) -

I have to... my health insurance doesn't let me pay online. So its either a check or money order and I'd rather do a check because thats WAY less hassle.

#20 Posted by Zithe (1045 posts) -

I've probably written a total of about 2 checks in my life.

#21 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -
@j0lter said:

@TooWalrus: I went ahead and did a second play through. It hit me a lot more in the second play through because i was sitting there dumbstruck and what happened at the end of that game lol.

I'll play through it again eventually... Everyone says to avoid The Answer like the plague, but Aigis was one of my favorite characters in P3 and P4 Arena (which I actually played first), so I'm going to do it anyway. If my expectations are low enough, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
#22 Posted by j0lter (235 posts) -

@TooWalrus: I have yet to play The Answer, its basically just a solid grinding of your personas to gain reassurance of what happened in the original game. So i find it hard to do more grinding after i maxed out my level in the original game. But more power to ya if you play it

#23 Posted by Butano (1738 posts) -

Have to use one for the rent, cause there's no way in hell I'm mailing cash to my landlady.

#24 Posted by Dezztroy (794 posts) -

Nope. We don't really use them in Europe.

#25 Posted by Spoonman671 (4633 posts) -

I prefer to store all of my financial credits on my monetary unit card.

#26 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1785 posts) -

Rent payments in the U.S. That's about it.

#27 Posted by Slay3r1583 (612 posts) -

To pay bills I still use checks. For everything else though it is either cash or debit card.

#28 Posted by nerdsbeware (223 posts) -

Ya for like 2-3 bills but that's really it anymore.

#29 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

cheques are for old people that dont understand new fangled card-ery

#30 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

I take a gander at them if I need to remind myself of my checking/routing numbers if setting up online payments/transactions of some sort, such as financial aid.

With online bill-paying and Paypal, I don't have much other use for them, and I hopefully *knocks on wood* won't be paying rent anytime soon.

#31 Posted by Bigbombomb (677 posts) -

I ordered some checks recently and I plan to never use them.

#32 Posted by Korwin (2864 posts) -

Never used a Cheque and probably never will. It's an antiquated form of transferring money from A to B and is completely redundant in the world of online bill payments and money transfers.

#33 Posted by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

Yes because it is the only sane way to send money through post in cards etc... (if you actually know how to write a cheque then it is easy to write it such that no one can steal and use the money for their own gain - unlike cash) and for some it is much easier to use cheques than online services (such as some family and to teenagers/children who may have a child's savings account but not a credit card yet).

#34 Posted by Hunter5024 (5670 posts) -

Im not allowed to have a bank account...

#35 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

Sure do. Every year when I pay state and federal taxes, I whip out the ol' checkbook with my address from 5 years ago. I'll also write checks when I need to give someone money; I am too lazy to go to the bank.

#36 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

They ONLY time I've ever written a check was a year ago when I moved into my first apartment and had to make a security deposit.

Apart from that the only time I've handled checks have been from other people that I have to deposit.

#37 Posted by believer258 (11898 posts) -

I have a checkbook but I never use it. Debit card FTW!

But I'm going to start leaving that sucker at home. It's too easy to spend money if I don't have it.

#38 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

Cheques are the pits

#39 Posted by FearMyFlop (101 posts) -

Here and there I can't pay for things online. Like my son's after-school care, things like school pictures and some specific bills.

#40 Posted by GirnBlanston (102 posts) -

I can pay most of my bills online, except the water bill. I still have to send those bastards a check every month.

#41 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3149 posts) -

I've used one in my life to buy an iPad.

#42 Posted by BoFooQ (672 posts) -

I don't use them in an normal everyday activities. However every month I mail my maintenance check using a check, also on of the only times I use regular mail too. Other than that I probably only write 6 checks a year. When I send money across the country for my fantasy league, I use a check.

#43 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

I've gotten checks from my bank, but never used them.

#44 Posted by stooven (33 posts) -

only for rent

#45 Posted by RioStarwind (544 posts) -

I don't use them that often but for medical bills I usually send a check.

#46 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

Haven't wrote a check in my life yet, although I'm only 18. I had to get a check from my bank to pay for a speeding ticket and that's it.

#47 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Yes. Sometimes I need to dig my chequebook out to find my sort code.

#48 Posted by YetiAntics (1490 posts) -

Yes. If not the fucking car company charges me $5 to do it over the phone/internet

#49 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

not really, only a few times. i pay stuff by debt, cash, there really isn't a reason.

#50 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

I pay rent with my roommates and the one who turns it in for us always prefers we pay with cash but he ultimately uses a check for all of us. Nevertheless, I personally don't use checks at all. I should probably keep a checkbook on me, just in case, though.