Do you support Target (and some other retailers) to open doors on Thanksgiving night?

• 61 results
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

D for don't care.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@bartok said:

D for don't care.

So brave.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Giantstalker

Is this considered a big deal in the US? As a Canadian, Thanksgiving - which happened a while ago - is nothing sacred and people work during it without issue.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Every year a few people get stomped to death for some cheap Chinese junk at Wal-Mart. Black Friday is here to stay, so I don't know what else would work. Cattle prods maybe....

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

@Giantstalker: It's a very big deal.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By jorbear

As long as they open past 11 PM, I guess I can let it slide.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Tylea002

It's no worse than the concept of having a day to say thanks, then immediately after trying to get the best deals for yourself and having crazy deals.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JasonR86

I answered D. But I suppose I don't support them because I'm not going to be going there on thanksgiving anyway. But honestly thanksgiving doesn't feel like anything special to me anymore. It's it's just another day in November. It's so unimportant to me that I haven't even capitalized it in this post.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus

Also, I support their right to stay open on Thanksgiving, but don't particularly care for the decision they've made.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I feel like no one should be obligated to work a holiday like Thanksgiving. It's fine if they're open and staffed by people who are willing, but it'd be pretty messed up to force people to work it, especially since it's followed up by Black Friday and people are probably having their Thanksgivings cut short to report for work really early the next day anyway.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@EquitasInvictus said:

I feel like no one should be obligated to work a holiday like Thanksgiving. It's fine if they're open and staffed by people who are willing, but it'd be pretty messed up to force people to work it, especially since it's followed up by Black Friday and people are probably having their Thanksgivings cut short to report for work really early the next day anyway.

You know for black friday most stores will have the bulk, if not all workers on the same shift. Meaning there will be some people who won't get sleep from thanksgiving to black friday. Dick move Target.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@BestUsernameEver said:

@EquitasInvictus said:

You know for black friday most stores will have the bulk, if not all workers on the same shift. Meaning there will be some people who won't get sleep from thanksgiving to black friday. Dick move Target.

Yeah, there would definitely be some type of logistical/human resources nightmare that would make it unpleasant for everyone involved in that situation.

Who would actually go out to shop Target Thanksgiving night, anyway?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

@Giantstalker said:

Is this considered a big deal in the US? As a Canadian, Thanksgiving - which happened a while ago - is nothing sacred and people work during it without issue.

Ehhhh. The only thing I can think of why it's not a great thing to be working on Thanksgiving is because it's a time families get together, and if you have to work, it kind of messes that plan up, other than that, it's nothing special. It's certainly not sacred, at least not in my family. I find a problem with this poll 'cause it treats it as if it's more special than it is, but if it's just for "Hey, I don't want to, and I'm sure most people don't want to work on this day." Then OK.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By audiosnow

As an American, I'm disgusted by our ability to turn anything--anything--into an opportunity to buy and sell.

A century ago we were production focused. Now we're consumption focused.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@EquitasInvictus said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@EquitasInvictus said:

Yeah, there would definitely be some type of logistical/human resources nightmare that would make it unpleasant for everyone involved in that situation.

Who would actually go out to shop Target Thanksgiving night, anyway?

Sadly, I know plenty of people willing to go out Thanksgiving night to shop for deals. Too many, actually.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Those answers are phrased in incredibly loaded ways. Addressing the first one, the idea that one shouldn't complain because someone else has it worse is a fallacy. If you extend that logic, then people who demand minimum wage are being unreasonable, because some people have no jobs and get no money. You shouldn't complain if you have to eat garbage to stay alive, because some people are starving to death. They're both shitty situations.

As for the second one, it's not really a questions of consumerism versus "family." Is anyone really upset about losing sight of "the true meaning of Thanksgiving?" It's a dick move because there are only six big holidays in the US that are observed on a state and federal level - meaning days that pretty much everyone gets off work. Taking one of those days away from the segment of the workforce that's least empowered to contest it is shitty, plain and simple.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Gooddoggy said:

Those answers are phrased in incredibly loaded ways. Addressing the first one, the idea that one shouldn't complain because someone else has it worse is a fallacy. If you extend that logic, then people who demand minimum wage are being unreasonable, because some people have no jobs and get no money. You shouldn't complain if you have to eat garbage to stay alive, because some people are starving to death. They're both shitty situations.

As for the second one, it's not really a questions of consumerism versus "family." Is anyone really upset about losing sight of "the true meaning of Thanksgiving?" It's a dick move because there are only six big holidays in the US that are observed on a state and federal level - meaning days that pretty much everyone gets off work. Taking one of those days away from the segment of the workforce that's least empowered to contest it is shitty, plain and simple.

I was just giving the popular 'reasonings' people have been voicing in it's protest and defense.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By laserbolts

I honestly don't care.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By plaintomato

Any retailer that isn't open when people want to throw down cash is stupid.

Anybody who thinks going to Target is good way to spend Thanksgiving is stupid.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kerned

It's gross, but the whole thing is fucking gross anyway. It's just one more layer in the great stinking lasagna of grossness that is the "Holiday Shopping Season."

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Its retail, you know the job can suck going in so blah blah.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dourin

@TooWalrus said:

@Giantstalker: It's a very big deal.

What in the actual fuck?

I mean, I guess at least she's not acting all slutty in the video, but when she breaks it down and starts spitting rhymes toward the last third.....I just...I give up. Apparently I am already out of touch with today's youth.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I get that thanks-giving in the united states is kind of a big deal, but what I'm curious about is how it got that way?

Also D. I'm with China on this one.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Yadilie

A.

If someone really cared about not working Black Friday or Thanksgiving then they have ample time to have put in a request to get those days off months ahead of time. Or just straight up change your availability before it. You also get time and half working Thanksgiving. People complaining either way are foolish. Wal-Mart did this last year and no one complained why now with Target? You work retail at a company that does Black Friday. Thanksgiving is also overrated.

Also I work at Target and I work 4am on Black Friday. (But that could change.)

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WasabiCurry

I will give my short opinion and say, I don't care.

Whatever floats your boat~

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#27  Edited By Vinchenzo

@Yadilie said:

A.

If someone really cared about not working Black Friday or Thanksgiving then they have ample time to have put in a request to get those days off months ahead of time.

You must not have ever worked retail.

Edit: Since you edited that you work at Target, I still retain my statement for the meaning of it and not the literalness of it. It's near-impossible for people in retail to just take days off even given the advance notice. Retailers even ask if you can work weekends/holidays, as you probably know. Someone who gets a job in retail can't just expect to take days off whenever they want just because they plan ahead.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Dagbiker

I used to work at a movie theater. And I had to work on thanksgiving. While I wouldn't want to work at a place like the movie theater again. My moms work gives her a choice of Holidays to work, and they get over time for working them. So most people who don't celebrate Christmas, or Thanksgiving are already signed up for those. I bet that's how Target, and the others do it too.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Yadilie

@Vinchenzo:

Why don't you learn to read buddy.

I work 6 days a week at Target going in at either 4am to 2am to unload the trucks and then stock the shelves or do backstock or do Electronics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I think the people who want to work should be given the opportunity to do so and the people that don't should be offered the day off, and the company should decide subsequently from there whether to stay open or not. I know that may not be a practical solution but its the most fair.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#31  Edited By Vinchenzo

@Yadilie said:

@Vinchenzo:

Why don't you learn to read buddy.

I work 6 days a week at Target going in at either 4am to 2am to unload the trucks and then stock the shelves or do backstock or do Electronics.

You edited your post after I had typed it buddy. Sorry that you're an idiot buddy.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BoG

I used to work in a retail store in a mall, and we were required to open at midnight. I worked this shift three years in a row. It was miserable. The store was busier than any other time of the year until about 3 a.m., when activity would die not just in our store, but in the entire mall. One year, I fell asleep, and it didn't even matter.

I guess I don't really care. Lots of people enjoy it, and there are lots of great deals. I almost traded my DS lite for a 3DS in a fantastic deal, but decided I wanted the old one to play GBA games. It does suck that some shoppers can be brutal, but hey, those are some screamin' deals.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By breadfan

Target smells like a Taco Bell and a dentist's office had a one night stand. I hardly like going as is, let alone to ruin my Thanksgiving.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LikeaSsur

The funny thing is, we live in a society built on diversity. Thanksgiving doesn't have to be celebrated with a big family dinner and even bigger turkey.

If people want to spend their holiday camping out in front of a store, or going after dinner to get crazy good deal on things, then let them.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

As a former grocery store worker who was forced to work 3 years of Thanksgivings and Christmas Eves I think it's gross that they stay open. The only thing I ever support on holidays is the self pump at gas stations.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By McShank

Why does it matter? Some people like working holidays as they dont have family // Need money // Dont Care about the holiday // Want *holiday* pay like myself. Who in their right mind would not want Triple pay for working a regular shift? I know I am working and am going to LOVE getting 2 days worth of pay extra on a check for doing nothing extra besides work in the morning and get home at 3 to enjoy some turkey. I would otherwise just sleep till noon anyways so why is it a problem? And if anyone bitches about not being able to spend it with their family, Just remember Bills dont stop because of a holiday.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

On Christmas over here you get triple pay for the few places that are opened like gas stations. Im sure alot of the minimum wage workers at target would put there hand up for a day of earning triple what they normally earn.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NegativeCero

I don't support it, but at some point I don't care because I refuse to get up early enough to deal with the people who shop on Black Friday. I feel for the people who work retail.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By ki11tank

no, stupid to have one day bullshit sales anyways....

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I truthfully don't give a shit. I'd probably be saying opposite if I worked retail though.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I see no problem with it

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Hunter5024

I believe in those laws that force companies to pay time and a half on holidays, because having to go to work on Thanksgiving or Christmas or whatever is a pretty good example of corporations taking control of your lives; the last thing most people want to do on a holiday is go to work. That being said I think it's the right move on Target's part, it will distribute the rush a little more evenly (which will hopefully reduce black friday accidents), and allow more people to take advantage of the deals.

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fisher81

@BestUsernameEver said:

@EquitasInvictus said:

Kmart is doing the same thing. Opening from 8 PM Thanksgiving til 3 AM then closing until 5 AM Black Friday. I guess I "lucked out" by getting the 6 AM Turkey day and 5 AM Black Friday shifts so I can at least sleep.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Fearbeard

I went with D.

No way I go anywhere near a store the whole weekend, but a lot of people do. As for the workers, this is probably a good chance to rack up overtime hours or get some extra income as a part time worker. If you work at one of these places then you know this is a busy season and should be prepared to work more during it. As for salaried managers and the like then hopefully there is some sort of bonus structure in place, but anyways it comes with thr job.

All in all people spending money is a good thing all around.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By EpicSteve

I have a lack of respect for anyone that complains about their job so long as they're treated with dignity and equality especially for someone working at Target in which I suspect is an easy job.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Brendan

Y'know what's generally not the best way to do a poll? Put it up and then immediately take a side. Research ethics sumthin sumthin, y'know?

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Brendan said:

Y'know what's generally not the best way to do a poll? Put it up and then immediately take a side. Research ethics sumthin sumthin, y'know?

I put it in the comments, how is different than any other giantbomb poll? You do know these are forums asking the communities opinion, not a highly regarded poll service.

MrQuizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrQuizmo

As long as no one is being forced to work, then it's ok by me. As someone who worked at target specifically during the holiday season, I can say that my local HR department was very willing to make sure employees got the time off they wanted, as long as they maintained minimum hours. That said, I have no idea if that is Target policy or just local policy.

Frankly, I wouldn't go out on Thanksgiving, or Black Friday, or Small Business Saturday, or whatever the fuck they invent for Sunday. I'm not that desperate to save money. But if the money is on the table, then they should go for it.

The only folks I feel for are the employees that get forced into working it against their wishes. Like if there is a worker shortage and management pulls the "Do it or you're fired/having your hours reduced/punished in some other way" card. I saw it happen at my local Target last year when an all year employee wanted to go out of state to his daughters house for Thanksgiving. He put in the days off a couple months in advance, but I guess our store didn't hire enough holiday help, so a bunch of regular guys were scheduled to work midnight Black Friday and basically told that being there wasn't an option unless you were under arrest or in the hospital. I felt bad for the guy, but I quit not long after so I have no idea if they made it right by giving him the time a week later or something.

But yeah, as long as the employees are treated right, then I don't see a problem.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Toys R Us and Wal Mart are opening at 8pm Thursday. Midnight is nothing compared to that.

Stores open at these crazy hours because people will show up. Drive past a TRU close to that opening time, you will see a thousand people lined up outside. Black Friday is this nation's biggest holiday now.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Animasta

if they're not being forced into it I don't care. I mean, fuck, if you got the shift that was on thanksgiving so you could NOT do the black friday stuff, wouldn't you? My mom never did Black Friday for the most part (and she worked at walmart at the time) because it was a terrible terrible time. I can imagine that this thanksgiving thing will be significantly less taxing.